• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Mar 21, 2018
  • Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
  • Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories
  • Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix
  • Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
  • Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep Final Mix
  • Kingdom Hearts Re:coded
  • Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
  • Kingdom Hearts x / Kingdom Hearts Union Cross
  • Kingdom Hearts x Back Cover
  • Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep 0.2: A Fragmentary Passage
  • Kingdom Hearts III
You can swap KH2FM and 358/2 Days around if you want. 358/2 Days spoils some stuff in KH2, but at the same time, it helps explain some of the more confusing aspects of it and provides a much better flow to the story. It originally released after KH2 though, so either order works.

Also, don't be afraid to just watch summaries / recaps of 358/2 Days and Re:coded. Actually, the versions of those two games on PS3 and PS4 are just cutscene compilations. Similarly, Back Cover is just a movie version of part of the story of x / Union Cross, but from a different point of view.
Wow, a few of you responded so thank you. I feel like this response or one of the others should be put in the first post.

Slash12771

Jul 12, 2018
can i just jump in on kh3 without playing the others? or am i just going to be confused.
KH3 will supposedly have some sort of recap section. If you wanna go straight into the story, I think you should be able to understand what is going on in the plot but you wouldn't understand the full context of a lot of things.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting upset trying to understand this series' story despite playing a few of the games to completion and reading explanations an nth number of times. Sigh.

Oct 25, 2017
No-one knows yet. We know Maleficent wants it and there's lots of theories (such as MoM being inside it) but nothing concrete yet. I'd say it's likely it will lead into what will happen after the events of KH3.

so, KH3 will not be the last one!? man, i will be like 60~70 years old when this series reaches the end..

Also, why is the master of master such a troll? he has a really twisted sense of humor compared to the rest of the childish disciples

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm getting upset trying to understand this series' story despite playing a few of the games to completion and reading explanations an nth number of times. Sigh.

It's easier summarized:

KH1 Ansems Kingdom Hearts - Xehanorts Heartless
KH2 Xemnas Kingdom Hearts - Xehanorts Nobody

Ansem (Heartless killed) + Xemnas (Nobody killed) = Xehanort (the big baddy BBS)

KH3 Xehanort Kingdom Hearts (without shortcuts taken like in KH1+KH2) with 7 Lights and 13 Darkness to make the X Blade and find Kingdom Hearts.

Kingdom Hearts 1 was a normal good and bad story. Kingdom Hearts 2 split off and showed us nobodies.

Why is Sora asleep between KH1 and KH2? Because he needs both his halfs (Xion 358/2 and Roxas 358/2) to be complete again and be able to wake up. Chain of Memories shows us how this happens and also shows us Rikus way.

Birth by sleep just shows us the backstory of the big baddy and new characters that explain how everything came to be and also explains small things like "Why is Sora a keyblade holder? And why is he so important?".

DDD is just the prequel to Kingdom Hearts 3 (the last 40 minutes are the bridge to the new game) and also explains again how everything came to be and why (Timetravel baddy travels through time to recruit himself to have 13 people that really will do according to his orders).

Of course there is much more to that like Data Riku (who is from Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded) who will be one of the 13 new darkness in Kingdom Hearts 3, but the small things are really not that important.

Imo the last important thing for many plot twists is that somebody who split into Nobody and Heartless will be whole again when both parts are killed.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
If it's still not settling, if you have the time I think you should watch the cutscenes. There's a lot there from all of the games, naturally, but rewatching everything is what helped settle a lot of stuff in my mind, as well as threads like this obviously. But don't stress, some stuff almost feels like it's there to confuse but you'll be fine.
so, KH3 will not be the last one!? man, i will be like 60~70 years old when this series reaches the end..
According to Nomura KHIII is the end of the Xehanort arc, but it's not the end of Kingdom Hearts. I'm sure we will get some finality and closure on a lot of stuff but there will likely also be a few things left unfinished and new questions as well. I'm more curious whether after KHIII we'll have a big departure from this point in time and the characters or if we'll still be around some of the current crop but with a different focus.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Is Back Cover the story from the mobile games? Union cross or whatever it's called.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Why do the villains never change their appearance like Sora does based on the world they are currently in? For example, Sora being a toy in the Toy Story world but that organization fellow maintaining his original appearance.
Sora is supposed to blend in and not disrupt the segregated nature of the worlds (Though he often breaks that duty for different reasons). The villains don't give a shit.
The hooded figure is a Time Travelling Ansem/Xehanort whatever who left his body behind according to Dream Drop Distance, at least that's what I gathered from it but it's damn confusing.
It's the same thing. To become a Heartless involves losing your body in the first place (After which the body has a chance of becoming a Nobody). It's after that you gain time travel powers. So Xehanort becomes a Heartless, conveniently remains sentient, travels to his younger self to pass on the power to establish the paradox loop, then waits at Destiny Islands until KH1.

Jul 24, 2018
Sora is supposed to blend in and not disrupt the segregated nature of the worlds (Though he often breaks that duty for different reasons). The villains don't give a shit.
It's the same thing. To become a Heartless involves losing your body in the first place (After which the body has a chance of becoming a Nobody). It's after that you gain time travel powers. So Xehanort becomes a Heartless, conveniently remains sentient, travels to his younger self to pass on the power to establish the paradox loop, then waits at Destiny Islands until KH1.
I undestood nothing of that.

Jun 12, 2018
So was that actually Riku at the land of dragons in kh2? Why on earth was he there?

My younger self always assumed that it wasnt him and that it was just some fake or something

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
when sora released his and kairi's hearts in the original game, how come Ventus's heart did not also get removed. Was it because his heart at that time was still too weak so it most likely had no effect. Since Sora and Kairi had really strong hearts they release and of course nobody's are created at that time due to releasing of their hearts.
Didn't Ven's heart get released and go to Roxas? I thought that whole thing was used to explain in part why Roxas looks so much like Ventus, and part of why Roxas could use two Keyblades and was able to feel and stuff when other Nobodies couldn't (because Roxas had a heart from the start, Ven's heart). Is that not correct?

Of course, either way and if that did happen, it raises the question of how Ven's heart wound up with Roxas in the first place instead of just becoming a Heartless in its own right (whereas Ven's body basically has "Castle Oblivion" magic to explain why he himself isn't turning into a Nobody, Ven's heart having anything to do with Roxas at all really doesn't make sense at all either way. Though thinking about it, I guess it could be a case similar to Kairi and Naminé, and how, because all of the darkness in Ven's heart was extracted to create Vanitas, it's impossible for Ven to become a Heartless himself now similar to Kairi and the other Princesses of Heart, but that's still a bit wonky).
So was that actually Riku at the land of dragons in kh2? Why on earth was he there?

My younger self always assumed that it wasnt him and that it was just some fake or something
I'm pretty confident that was him--he has the Soul Eater and everything, and there weren't any Data or Replica Rikus running around in KH2. I don't remember why he was in the Land of Dragons off the top of my head specifically, since it's been a while, but that was definitely him.

Oct 25, 2017
So 100% when you lose your heart, a nobody is born?

If yes, then why are nobodies kinda uncommon?

If no, then how do you get your body back? Just have your heartless defeated? That's all?

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna play the whole series, but starting with 3.

(I already did, when each game released, but what I remember from the plot, leaves me kinda confused)

the white monsters that look like heartless are the nobody equivalents right?

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
I've recently finished KH 1 & 2 and i'm coming to the end of BBS and after watching a bunch of story videos there's one thing I don't get (actually there are many things I don't get but this one stands out).

The two main bad guys of 1 & 2 are different versions of Xehanort, a heartless version and a nobody version. Are these two guys based on Terra or a younger Xehanort? I assumed it was the former, but I've seen clips of a 'Young Xehanort' who looks a lot like a young Ansem Seeker of Darkness/Xemnas.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've recently finished KH 1 & 2 and i'm coming to the end of BBS and after watching a bunch of story videos there's one thing I don't get (actually there are many things I don't get but this one stands out).

The two main bad guys of 1 & 2 are different versions of Xehanort, a heartless version and a nobody version. Are these two guys based on Terra or a younger Xehanort? I assumed it was the former, but I've seen clips of a 'Young Xehanort' who looks a lot like a young Ansem Seeker of Darkness/Xemnas.
They come from Terra-Xehanort.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is the Master of master gonna be important or was that movie just to fill out 2.8s collection?
Nomura already said he's not in KH3, so I imagine if there were any references to him (or KHUX's story in general), they'd be as a stinger in the secret ending, to lead into the next saga.

Oct 27, 2017
Terra-nort

latest

Young Xehanort

latest

They look similar but hair is different.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

If no, then how do you get your body back? Just have your heartless defeated? That's all?

Nobodies aren't uncommon, but human nobodies a la OrgXIII are.
When you lose your heart, it becomes engulfed by the darkness and turns into a heartless. Also, the empty body left behind becomes a nobody and if you're strong willed enough you retain human form. That's what made OrgXIII special.

Then, when both your heartless and nobody are destroyed, the original self is restored.

Oct 25, 2017
Nobodies aren't uncommon, but human nobodies a la OrgXIII are.
When you lose your heart, it becomes engulfed by the darkness and turns into a heartless. Also, the empty body left behind becomes a nobody and if you're strong willed enough you retain human form. That's what made OrgXIII special.

Then, when both your heartless and nobody are destroyed, the original self is restored.
Well, there are essentially none in kh1. None in BBs. And in kh2, it feels like you fight more heartless than nobodies.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Well, there are essentially none in kh1. None in BBs. And in kh2, it feels like you fight more heartless than nobodies.

There's no cutscene or anything that has an explanation for that, but filling that gap for myself I would say it's simply because nobodies don't just run around mindlessly attacking people like heartless are because only heartless want to plunge worlds into darkness on instinct.
Nobodies are more like attack dogs waiting to be called in by leader Nobodies like OrgXIII (example attack on radiant Garden gate in KH2). Otherwise they probably just hang out in the realm of inbetween and don't really even exist.
They didn't exist during BBS because Heartless didn't exist then, they only came to the realm of light because of Ansem's experiments.

Again, this is just me trying to explain it with something that would make sense in the rules presented by the games.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
It still annoys me the Data Riku and Data Sora are even a thing still. I never even played those games. It's an okay enough story to follow with just KHI, II, BbS and DDD. Even without playing CoM (I have), it's easy enough to get. But the Data characters are just...why, Nomura.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It still annoys me the Data Riku and Data Sora are even a thing still. I never even played those games. It's an okay enough story to follow with just KHI, II, BbS and DDD. Even without playing CoM (I have), it's easy enough to get. But the Data characters are just...why, Nomura.

Are they still a thing? I admit I never finished Re:Coded so I don't know Data Riku's significance, but why aren't we still just assuming the young Riku from the trailers is the Replika from CoM?
Is it just the block things in the BH6 world?

Chuchubabe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
anyone knows a series of videos explaining the story, i dont intend to play 7 or more games for kh3

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Are they still a thing? I admit I never finished Re:Coded so I don't know Data Riku's significance, but why aren't we still just assuming the young Riku from the trailers is the Replika from CoM?
Is it just the block things in the BH6 world?

It seems like it. Or maybe I read people's theories legitimately *shrug*! I hope they are not a thing though, because it's busy enough following all these major players, we really, really don't need to be following more variations of already major players.

I really need to get around to watching the KHx movie. Keep forgetting!

malyse

Community Resetter

Losing your heart doesn't necessarily make a Nobody; it's only people with a strong enough will that form Nobodies. Everyone else who loses their heart without making a nobody is for all intents and purposes dead. So that dude who loses his heart in Traverse Town? Dead.

To return, normally your heartless and your nobody have to be destroyed. Sora Roxas and Kairi Naminé are special cases.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The thing about the time travel that Xehanort describes that has never made any sense to me is that he says you can't alter events that are supposed to happen when you time travel but that's exactly what he's been doing this whole time.

malyse

Community Resetter
The thing about the time travel that Xehanort describes that has never made any sense to me is that he says you can't alter events that are supposed to happen when you time travel but that's exactly what he's been doing this whole time.
I think the intention is to say that you can't alter the past with time travel, but you can bring someone from the past to the present to change the future, which is basically what Xehanort is doing. It's also one of the only ways to use time travel without making massive paradoxes.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think the intention is to say that you can't alter the past with time travel, but you can bring someone from the past to the present to change the future, which is basically what Xehanort is doing. It's also one of the only ways to use time travel without making massive paradoxes.
But he's going back in time to give his past self the power to time travel which yes, his past self ends up forgetting eventually, but he has that information etched into his heart so he can follow the same path as his future self.

Like is that not altering the past if he's making his past self follow a path subconsciously?

And is the present not the past for the future? Like if everything is already written and can't be changed like the Master of Masters says, then there shouldnt be a way for Xehanort to do any of this. Unless he's an exception and his time travel is allowed because it is part of what is written and cant be altered which just, like on a fundamental level really annoys me.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
But he's going back in time to give his past self the power to time travel which yes, his past self ends up forgetting eventually, but he has that information etched into his heart so he can follow the same path as his future self.

Like is that not altering the past if he's making his past self follow a path subconsciously?

And is the present not the past for the future? Like if everything is already written and can't be changed like the Master of Masters says, then there shouldnt be a way for Xehanort to do any of this. Unless he's an exception and his time travel is allowed because it is part of what is written and cant be altered which just, like on a fundamental level really annoys me.
It's just a determined loop, unfortunately. There's a concept of destiny at play and Xehanort's ambitions are part of that. Probably not what you are looking for but that's how it is.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Stoppp, don't do this to yourself!

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My niggling question which will probably be answered in the first hour of KH3...

So, Xehanort took over Terra's body, forming what we call Terranort (BBS). Terranort actually has the hearts of both Terra and Xehanort (and Eraqus?) on the inside, but Xehanort is in control (BBS FM).
Meanwhile, Terra's "lingering will" lives on in his armour (BBS, KH2FM) and can use his Keyblade.
(This is notably only the case for Terra - Aqua and Ven's armour is just metal with no personality.)

When Terra speaks to Aqua across the realms (0.2), he is still very much present and still fighting with a Xehanort who has Terra's face, so we can assume this is still pre-KH1 Terranort.

After Terranort goes Heartless, Xehanort's heart becomes the Heartless Ansem SoD and Terranort's body becomes the Nobody Xemnas.
When Ansem SoD (KH1) and Xemnas (KH2) are defeated, the original person is recomposed (Coded). However, this is notably not Terranort, but Master Xehanort himself in his original body (DDD).

So, the question is: Where the hell is Terra?

We haven't seen him since before the events of KH1, so we don't know if his heart was affected when Ansem SoD and Xemnas were created.
Was his heart in one of them? Did it become its own Heartless, since it had no body?
Did he recompose like Xehanort did? What part of him is contained in his armour?
Is he actually carrying Eraqus's heart like Xehanort suggested, which would complicate it even more?
Am I grossly overthinking all of this?

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

Watching the re:Coded movie was a nightmare unto itself. Not happy at all its garbage will be present.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
To this day the whole stuff with the "data" characters is the dumbest thing that was added to Kingdom Hearts.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is there a decent easy to understand youtube vide out there for people who have no idea what happened in the last 2 main games?

Have the game pre-ordered and paid for (£35 was too good to pass up on) but the more i hear from fans the more i think im gonna be totally lost although i guess Square enix are well aware of this as its going to be many people first KH game and will make it accessible