• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys! Im replaying the series since I havent played them since launch and that was the only scene that confused me. BBS is the only game I havent played yet so I can't wait to get to that after kh2

malyse

Community Resetter
I see, but how are these characters supposed to have a physical manifestation (this is what I think when talking about saving them) when they literally are a part of Sora?
Xion and Roxas grew their own hearts.
Okay... So KH Union X is the only game/movie I haven't really caught up on yet. I just fired up the phone game but feel like checking out the movie instead. Is one better than the other? Does it explain why heartless are around back then?
The movie doesn't cover the game at all. Like, the stuff you see in the film follows the Foretellers who you barely see in the game (until they kill you). Also, the game moves past the end of the film to the point that the original versions of Marluxia, Larxene, and Ventus have all become part of the story.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
Ok just finished BBS and there are one or two bits that i'm having trouble understanding. Well actually there's a lot I don't understand but here are the big two;

1. From what I understand, in BBS we get a flashback scene where Xehanort and Eraqus have a fight and Xehanort reveals he's all about that darkness. So why are they so chill with each other at the start of the game?

2. What happens to Old Man Xehanort after the events at the Keyblade Graveyard? Is he just existing 'inside' Terranort?

I'm tempted to get Final Chapter Prologue to try and get through DDD and BBS 0.2 but I don't wanna be burned out by the time KH3 is released.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
BONUS QUESTION:

What is the best delivered line in KH1? Is it sora finding out his friend has succumed to the darkness and has become his enemy and filled his heart with darkness and responding with "You're stupid!"
"You'll never take Kairi's HEART!"

Dedicated to everyone who played the original, before FM added skippable cutscenes.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Ok just finished BBS and there are one or two bits that i'm having trouble understanding. Well actually there's a lot I don't understand but here are the big two;

1. From what I understand, in BBS we get a flashback scene where Xehanort and Eraqus have a fight and Xehanort reveals he's all about that darkness. So why are they so chill with each other at the start of the game?

2. What happens to Old Man Xehanort after the events at the Keyblade Graveyard? Is he just existing 'inside' Terranort?

I'm tempted to get Final Chapter Prologue to try and get through DDD and BBS 0.2 but I don't wanna be burned out by the time KH3 is released.

1. In the Xehanorts reports he says he played the "Im so sorry I was wrong please forgive me" Card when he left Ventus with him. He even writes he expected to be given a big fat fuck you but was surprised at Eraqus' kindness

2. Yes.The Blank Points secret ending shows it

0.2 is a KHIII Prologue and a nice Aqua focused sequel to BBS, it's really short so go for it!

DDD could burn you but it's required reading, you could try youtubing it and playing it later

Last edited:

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
1. In the Xehanorts reports he says he played the "Im so sorry I was wrong please forgive me" Card when he left Ventus with him. He even writes he expected to be given a big fat fuck you but was surprised at Eraqus' kindness

2. Yes.The Blank Points secret ending shows it

0.2 is a KHIII Prologue and a nice Aqua focused sequel to BBS, it's really short so go for it!

DDD could burn you but it'seems required reading, you could try youtubing it and playing it later

Thanks. Yeah I think I'll watch a playthrough or something of DDD. I'd like to play 0.2, Aqua is definitely one of my favourite characters but i'm not sure I can justify buying Final Chapter Prologue just for 0.2.

Either way I'm glad I took the time to replay KH2 and play BBS for the first time to get caught up with the story. KH1 & 2 were some of my favourite games at the time they were released but I Iost interest when the handheld games started coming out.

There's something about hearing a character say "Sora, Donald, Goofy" that just puts a smile on my face.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Reading through this thread, I can say that Kingdom Hearts' problem is not that it doesn't explain how stuff happens, but rather how stuff CAN happen. Essentially, light/darkness/hearts/nothingness/keyblades are like wizards who can do anything whenever convenient.

By the way, can anyone explain how Ansem's (I'm talking Heartless Nort here) plan in the first game doesn't contradict MasterNort's plan? That is, shouldn't he know what Kingdom Hearts is considering he was once MasterNort, who knows what KH is? Why would he think there's darkness there? He couldn't be amnesiac considering he knew to travel back in time to meet his younger self. Also, was that door Kingdom Hearts at all?

I would also like an explanation about the distribution of Sora/Kairi's hearts, memories and body between Namine/Roxas/Ventus/Xion, assuming one wasn't already posted. I have 80% of it figured, but I would like a simple summary to tie it up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Reading through this thread, I can say that Kingdom Hearts' problem is not that it doesn't explain how stuff happens, but rather how stuff CAN happen. Essentially, light/darkness/hearts/nothingness/keyblades are like wizards who can do anything whenever convenient.

By the way, can anyone explain how Ansem's (I'm talking Heartless Nort here) plan in the first game doesn't contradict MasterNort's plan? That is, shouldn't he know what Kingdom Hearts is considering he was once MasterNort, who knows what KH is? Why would he think there's darkness there? He couldn't be amnesiac considering he knew to travel back in time to meet his younger self. Also, was that door Kingdom Hearts at all?

I would also like an explanation about the distribution of Sora/Kairi's hearts, memories and body between Namine/Roxas/Ventus/Xion, assuming one wasn't already posted. I have 80% of it figured, but I would like a simple summary to tie it up.

Both Ansem Seeker of Darkness and Xemnas come from Terranort who had his memories severely damaged

They both shaped their plans based on what they remember. In Ansem's case that 7 Princesses = Door Kingdom Hearts and Xemnas that KH could give him his heart back if he connects to it

They remembered pieces of the plan, not the whole thing

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Ansem's line of thought was like this. There's darkness in hearts. The hearts of worlds are much greater than the hearts of people, so they should have a ton of darkness. By mashing up a bunch of world hearts into a fake Kingdom Hearts, you have an almost unlimited supply of darkness.

He just didn't account for the light within the darkness overpowering it.

Ralph Bighead

Jan 13, 2018

I don't think the fact that Ansem believed KH was fundamentally darkness is a contradiction in any way. In fact, I think Master Xehanort still believes this. Remember, the dialogue from Ansem about how "every heart returns to the darkness from whence it came," was almost verbatim stated by Master Xehanort after he possessed Terra.

Also, the door in KH1 is not Kingdom Hearts. It's the Door to Darkness, which leads to the realm of darkness. Kingdom Hearts is within the realm of darkness. We only see the light emitting from Kingdom Hearts in KH1. Additionally, the Kingdom Hearts in KH1 is artificial, like the one in KH2. Whereas the KH2 Kingdom Hearts is constructed from the hearts of people, the KH1 Kingdom Hearts is constructed from the hearts of worlds. The true Kingdom Hearts is constructed from all hearts.

Namine is quite literally made of nothing. She does not have anyone's heart, memories, or body. Roxas is made of Sora's body and Ventus's heart. Xion has an artificial body. Sora's memories flow to Roxas, and then to Xion. Namine, Roxas, and Xion all likely developed their own hearts over the course of their lives. That's about the gist of it.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Both Ansem Seeker of Darkness and Xemnas come from Terranort who had his memories severely damaged

They both shaped their plans based on what they remember. In Ansem's case that 7 Princesses = Door Kingdom Hearts and Xemnas that KH could give him his heart back if he connects to it

They remembered pieces of the plan, not the whole thing
Xemnas clearly has memory loss but, as far as I'm aware, there's nothing that indcates Ansem was the same. And it would make sense that he has Master Xehanort's memories, since he is Master Xehanort's heart. It would explain why he wears the same outfit, says the same darkness dialogue, made himself look like a young version of Xehanort, and was the one who time traveled back to Young Xehanort in the first place.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Making an artificial Kingdom Hearts out of worlds he destroyed is a lot better than sitting around doing nothing, I suppose.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Xemnas clearly has memory loss but, as far as I'm aware, there's nothing that indcates Ansem was the same. And it would make sense that he has Master Xehanort's memories, since he is Master Xehanort's heart. It would explain why he wears the same outfit, says the same darkness dialogue, made himself look like a young version of Xehanort, and was the one who time traveled back to Young Xehanort in the first place.

I think ASOD is part Terra as well because Terra and MX's heart are both part of Terranort.

hillzagold

Jan 12, 2019
^Does Ansem Seeker of Darkness even know that he's a Terranort? I thought he independently made the KH1 plan with the princesses, perhaps with some secret guidance from Braig/Xigbar. I don't remember any event where he'd remember, except the time travel stuff. And Old Xehanort claimed all the time travel stuff would be forgotten when they return to their proper places in time anyways.

Anyways, I'm very excited to get at least ten questions answered in KH3, before the secret ending gives me a thousand new questions.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
Still not sure about some time travel stuff but this video helped clear up some things on Xehanort

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be a bit awkward when ven and roxas meet for the first time, lol.

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Can anyone explain why Xemnas said most of the original Org. XIII didn't make for good vessels, yet has most of the True Org. XIII consisting of the old Org. XIII?

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else remember when Ansem shouts "Kingdom Hearts!" while looking at his artificial Kingdom Hearts in KH2? Maybe it's because it's the series name, but I always recall that line. Lol

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
And then retcon it two games later.

The plot to KH1 was fairly simple: Ansem
sought the seven princesses so he could use their hearts to reach Kingdom Hearts, where he could obtain godhood. He's literally just a FF villain collecting crystals so he can unseal the Ultimate Power - only it's Disney, so the Ultimate Power turns out to be Love.

...and then they keep adding shit to it: that wasn't really Ansem, that was a fake Kingdom Hearts, the Ansem in brown robes is actually a time-traveller... etc

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I just remembered something.

How come Maleficent is able to get into Disney Castle in DDD, when II pretty much stated she couldn't because of that light stone thingy?

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I just remembered something.

How come Maleficent is able to get into Disney Castle in DDD, when II pretty much stated she couldn't because of that light stone thingy?
I think there's some vague reference to the growing power of darkness (because of Xehanort) allowing her to be there.

ph1l0z0ph3r

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have a good recap/cutscene video on Chain of Memories? It's the only one I dont want to play through again.

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably necessary to read up on the first two games before starting with 3 right? I did play the first one and a bit of the second one on PS2 but never finished either. I don't have a PS4, so I can only read a summary or watch a video.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably necessary to read up on the first two games before starting with 3 right? I did play the first one and a bit of the second one on PS2 but never finished either. I don't have a PS4, so I can only read a summary or watch a video.
Kingdom Hearts is a series that builds on the series with every title, and to be perfectly honest, the non-numbered games are going to be much more relevant to KH3's story than 1 or 2.

Oct 26, 2017
Kingdom Hearts is a series that builds on the series with every title, and to be perfectly honest, the non-numbered games are going to be much more relevant to KH3's story than 1 or 2.

Hmmmm I see. I'll just try to find a video or article that explains all I need to know before going into 3. Should be good then, right?

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Where did Ventus come from? The earliest I could find was he was Xehanort's pupil but that's is. Where did he come from and why did he listen to Xehanort? I have not watched the movie inclded with 2.5 yet.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Hmmmm I see. I'll just try to find a video or article that explains all I need to know before going into 3. Should be good then, right?
You should be good if you pick a good and long recap. Not a 20 minutes one because otherwise you're going to miss some important details.

Also if you have time looking at some ending cutscenes from DDD and Birth by Sleep would help for you enjoyment of KH3.

Feb 4, 2018
Where did Ventus come from? The earliest I could find was he was Xehanort's pupil but that's is. Where did he come from and why did he listen to Xehanort? I have not watched the movie inclded with 2.5 yet.
Ventus is in KH Union X, and Nomura confirmed that he is the same person as BBS Ven. So he's existed since before the Keyblade War, but we still have no idea how he got from being a Dandelion to being Xehanort's apprentice. As to why he listened to Xehanort, he was an impressionable teen and no one knew he was evil until the events of BBS, when Ven had already been dumped by Xehanort and became Eraqus' apprentice.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Should I try it?

I have never played any of the games in the series.

I didn't like dragon quest 11 but I liked persona 4 and 5 a lot. I also thought final fantasy 15 was awful.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Should I try it?

I didn't like dragon quest 11 but I liked persona 4 and 5 a lot. I also thought final fantasy 15 was awful.
It's more like FF15 than it is Persona. What did you not like about 15?

I've nearly completed 2 in my marathon to try and re-play all of the games and I forgot that 2 just doesn't have much of a story until the last 5 hours, lol. Even then it takes a solid 20 hours for them to even say, "Oh, shit. Right. Roxas is Sora's Nobody! Forgot to say that. Whoops." The game just loves to throw terms and names at you without bothering to explain shit. Axel, that guy you've seen for approximately an hour? He died. Now feel sad!

It's funny how the series goes from vague as hell to over-specific to a fault.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ventus is in KH Union X, and Nomura confirmed that he is the same person as BBS Ven. So he's existed since before the Keyblade War, but we still have no idea how he got from being a Dandelion to being Xehanort's apprentice. As to why he listened to Xehanort, he was an impressionable teen and no one knew he was evil until the events of BBS, when Ven had already been dumped by Xehanort and became Eraqus' apprentice.

TF WHAT?!
i did know marluxia and another org member where from before but ventus?!

Damn lol they added alot since back cover.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Should I try it?

I can't comment on DQ or Persona but it's not really that similar to FFXV. It's combat system is in that it is more action oriented, yet KH's combat is a lot faster and deeper especially with the new keyblade transformations feature. But KH isn't open world and I find its worlds generally are pretty well sized. It's one of the few series in all of my years of gaming where I've actually really enjoyed getting collectibles and completing games to 100% (generally, I'm not including some of the BS fights like in BBS). So honestly I don't think I can even really compare the two. But if you're curious you should give it a try, or at least even look at some footage from the game that's already out there from the leak and make up your mind from that. There are lots of recap videos around, some of the shorter ones might not cover every detail but you can definitely still enjoy it with just knowing the basics, in fact I'm sure you still could if you wanted to jump in blind.

Last edited:

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Agh double-post, apologies.

lol for real, I hadn't been following Union X until this week so I just found all this out. I know Nomura said that not all of Union X's mysteries would be solved in KHIII but I hope it gives us some answers, damn.
I think there's supposed to be another update to the game too (in Japan at least) before KHIII is out so we'll likely find out a little more pretty soon.

LorentzFactor

Oct 25, 2017
I always took Vanitas being so strong to mean that Ventus was kind of evil before memory being wiped, but some people seem to think that vanitas is just special because of the way Xehanort extracted him that's significantly different from creating a heartless. In Union X, he seems just pretty clueless but it seems weird that Vanitas would be so strong.

malyse

Community Resetter
I always took Vanitas being so strong to mean that Ventus was kind of evil before memory being wiped, but some people seem to think that vanitas is just special because of the way Xehanort extracted him that's significantly different from creating a heartless. In Union X, he seems just pretty clueless but it seems weird that Vanitas would be so strong.
Ventus is probably the one who killed Strelitzia. Brain has a bum leg and couldn't sneak, Lauriam is her brother, and we saw Skuld and Ephemer selected as union leaders.

Feb 4, 2018
You're right, it's pretty weird that Vanitas is so strong but I'm also not sure that Ven was evil considering that he chose to die rather than use the power of darkness as Xehanort's apprentice. It seems like the whole reason that Xehanort created Vanitas in the first place is because Ven had way too much light in him, but perhaps he did have a lot of darkness in him that he was just very good at repressing.

It's just strange, BBS made it seem like Ven had never used darkness before or even acknowledged it in his heart, but perhaps he did at some point in Union X as malyse mentioned and that knowledge/memory was somehow forgotten or repressed. Ven's had the most confusing and tragic life lol, I just hope he's happy in the end.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
im super confused when it comes to the mobile games. So there was a mobile game that ended service, then a new mobile game, then the movie thing in the collection? Do I need to know the story from all of it? Are there any good recap videos of the mobile games?

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
im super confused when it comes to the mobile games. So there was a mobile game that ended service, then a new mobile game, then the movie thing in the collection? Do I need to know the story from all of it? Are there any good recap videos of the mobile games?
Kingdom Hearts X comes first. Back Cover (the movie) covers the events of X from the perspective of the Union leaders. The first "season" of UX is mainly covering the events of X again, and everything after that is new material.

Back Cover will most likely be the only thing that'll have heavy ties to KH3's plot. Everything else is probably setting things up for games after 3.

Everglow's Timeline videos are the best way to follow all the X stuff. However, you'll have to look up the really recent X updates yourself, but they're pretty short and there's only a few that these videos don't go over.

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017
God I thought falling down a KH YT rabbit hole on my own was bad enough, then I stumbled across this thread lol.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are we, the players, taking refuge in Sora? Is Sora another Kingdom Hearts?

If Xehanort norts another Xehanort in the Chamber of Waking, does he make a sound?