• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since Lea is back, why doesn't he want to return to his original style of clothes ?

Shouldn't Nobodies and "Complete Beings" have their own personality ? Because it looks like it's Axel that came back to life.

Just a bit of nitpicking but I think that black coat isn't very original for a protagonist. No wonder why Riku didn't keep it for a long time
In regards for your spoiler, just a interesting tidbit, I think Nomura said in a interview that the clothes were originally created to conceal the characters body when he made the Secret Ending in KH1 since he didn't had their designs ready yet, I guess it ended up being popular with them and they decided to make it canon.

Oct 25, 2017
So ansem sod and xemnas are alive again?

Like, alive alive, or just illusions in the dream worlds?

That whole ddd ending confused the shit out of me personally.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
So ansem sod and xemnas are alive again?

Like, alive alive, or just illusions in the dream worlds?

That whole ddd ending confused the shit out of me personally.
They are rounded up from the past by the Young Xehanort. This would be some point before their defeat in their respective games, but it doesn't really matter when. After some time, or following complete defeat, they return to their own times with no memories of the events.

Nurovek

Dec 26, 2018
France
In regards for your spoiler, just a interesting tidbit, I think Nomura said in a interview that the clothes were originally created to conceal the characters body when he made the Secret Ending in KH1 since he didn't had their designs ready yet, I guess it ended up being popular with them and they decided to make it canon.

I totally get it, black coats are great ways to tease mysterious figures :)
But not ideal ones for characterizations. So I really hope that through KH3, Lea will unveil his true clothes under the coat.

malyse

Community Resetter
But not ideal ones for characterizations. So I really hope that through KH3, Lea will unveil his true clothes under the coat.
Most of those characters were supposed to die and stay dead. Popularity interfered.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
I don't think it's likely unfortunately. His old clothes wouldn't fit anyway. Maybe the fairies are getting tired of hanging away free clothes. He also seems to be very used to using the dark corridors, which the coats help with.

Feb 4, 2018
Judging by all the scenes he's in in the final battle trailer I'm gonna say he's not getting new clothes. :( I agree though, he's not in the org anymore so he should have his own duds.

Nurovek

Dec 26, 2018
France
Anyway, speaking of Lea, I was wondering, how did he become

a Keyblade wielder ?

I might have forgotten something.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017

a Keyblade wielder ?

He went to Yensid in DDD to try and become a keyblade wielder. Yensid arranged for Merlin and the three fairies from Sleeping Beauty to create a training space for him in which time works differently (think the Hyperbolic Time Chamber from Dragonball Z, if you're familiar with that) to speed up the process, and that's what he was occupied with for most of the back half of DDD.

When he shows up to save Sora in DDD's endgame, he originally intended to use his keyblade but couldn't get it to materialize, so he went with his usual weapons instead. He wasn't able to summon it until DDD's final cutscene.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017

a Keyblade wielder ?

Well,
he asked Yen Sid to train as one, so they put him in a space where time flows slowly to accelerate his progress.
Not really much more to it than that.

Nurovek

Dec 26, 2018
France
He went to Yensid in DDD to try and become a keyblade wielder. Yensid arranged for Merlin and the three fairies from Sleeping Beauty to create a training space for him in which time works differently (think the Hyperbolic Time Chamber from Dragonball Z, if you're familiar with that) to speed up the process, and that's what he was occupied with for most of the back half of DDD.

When he shows up to save Sora in DDD's endgame, he originally intended to use his keyblade but couldn't get it to materialize, so he went with his usual weapons instead. He wasn't able to summon it until DDD's final cutscene.

Well,
he asked Yen Sid to train as one, so they put him in a space where time flows slowly to accelerate his progress.
Not really much more to it than that.

Okay I get it for the Hyperbolic Chamber.
So I guess Yen Sid bequeathed him the power of the Keyblade as a starter pack. Thanks, I totally forgot the training part !

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Okay I get it for the Hyperbolic Chamber.
So I guess Yen Sid bequeathed him the power of the Keyblade as a starter pack. Thanks, I totally forgot the training part !
Just so you know,
you don't need to be bequeathed a Keyblade to be a wielder. It's more like a letter of recommendation than anything. I'd personally assume Lea wasn't subject to the ceremony.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I'm still currently playing through Dream Drop Distance (HD) for the first time (currently at Prankster's Paradise) and so far I think I understand everything... Except, what's up with the guy in the brown robe and when Sora and Riku are sent to Destiny Islands at the start, was that already in the dream state they're in? Because they were their 14 year old selves so I assume they were already in the dream, but the report description saying how they unlocked the first sleeping world only after beating Ursula confused me a little. What was up with that "Phantom Ursula" anyway? Was it supposed to be a Nightmare?

I might have some other questions regarding Xehanort and the Organization but I'm gonna wait til I finish the game before asking since I'm gonna assume the game will answer them or at least shed some more light on them. I hope.

Lea remembers everything Axel went through though, right? He remembers Sora and Roxas, etc.?

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I'm still currently playing through Dream Drop Distance (HD) for the first time (currently at Prankster's Paradise) and so far I think I understand everything... Except, what's up with the guy in the brown robe and when Sora and Riku are sent to Destiny Islands at the start, was that already in the dream state they're in? Because they were their 14 year old selves so I assume they were already in the dream, but the report description saying how they unlocked the first sleeping world only after beating Ursula confused me a little. What was up with that "Phantom Ursula" anyway? Was it supposed to be a Nightmare?

I might have some other questions regarding Xehanort and the Organization but I'm gonna wait til I finish the game before asking since I'm gonna assume the game will answer them or at least shed some more light on them. I hope.

Lea remembers everything Axel went through though, right? He remembers Sora and Roxas, etc.?
Brown Robe dude gets some explanation later
Ursula gets absolutely no explanation
Honestly the beginning of the game is quite poorly explained
And the end is quite poorly explained
The game is poorly explained
I just finished DDD yesterday :D

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017
I watched the video in the OP and think I have a rough understanding of the lore so hopefully it will be enough to at least understand KH3.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017

It's Xehanort's Heartless (as he appeared in KH1). Sora and Riku go back to before DI fell to Darkness. That way, they have a way into the Sleeping Realm. Their younger appearance is due to Yen Sid's magic (I assume to hammer in the idea of them starting their training from scratch). As they reach their way in to the Sleeping Realm, they are ambushed by the Phantom Ursula. It's not exactly explained, but someone (probably Xehanort) summons her to be a tutorial boss harass them. Afterwards they drift into dreams so that they enter the Sleeping Realm and start the test. Xehanort's Heartless looms over them for reasons you will learn later on.
And yeah Lea would have all his memories of everything.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Brown Robe dude gets some explanation later
Oh nice, glad to hear that!

Ursula gets absolutely no explanation
Damn.
And the end is quite poorly explained
Damn.
The game is poorly explained
Damn.

Well, I'm honestly not too surprised based on what I'd heard about the game before. Oh well. I hope KHIII won't have as many (if at all, fingers crossed) poorly-explained matters.
It's Xehanort's Heartless (as he appeared in KH1). Sora and Riku go back to before DI fell to Darkness. That way, they have a way into the Sleeping Realm. Their younger appearance is due to Yen Sid's magic (I assume to hammer in the idea of them starting their training from scratch). As they reach their way in to the Sleeping Realm, they are ambushed by the Phantom Ursula. It's not exactly explained, but someone (probably Xehanort) summons her to be a tutorial boss harass them. Afterwards they drift into dreams so that they enter the Sleeping Realm and start the test. Xehanort's Heartless looms over them for reasons you will learn later on.
And yeah Lea would have all his memories of everything.
Wow, so Yen Sid literally sends them back in time? Just like that?

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Nomura's set rules of time travel are fucky as hell.
Shit STILL doesn't make sense to me.
So, lemme get this straight, if anyone has their heart separated from their body at any point of their personal timeline, this makes it possible for this person at all points in time to time travel. Hearts without a body can time travel freely, but a body (with or without a heart) needs assistance. Also, I could have sworn that someone said in DDD that travel to the past was impossible with a body, yet in the Union X vid I'm watching right now, Malecifent states that time travel to the future is impossible.
Displaced bodys in time will also forget everything they've learnt upon returning, I think this may only apply on trips to the future though. There may be a limit on how long one can stay displaced.
Am I on the money, or has my brain rotted away from binging on KH all month?

I hope KH3 has a big fuckin entry on the mechanism of time travel in its glossary.

Last edited:

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Oh nice, glad to hear that!

Damn.

Damn.

Damn.

Well, I'm honestly not too surprised based on what I'd heard about the game before. Oh well. I hope KHIII won't have as many (if at all, fingers crossed) poorly-explained matters.

Wow, so Yen Sid literally sends them back in time? Just like that?
You'll learn the rules later but when you consider what Sora and Riku went through in KH1 it is possible.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018

a Keyblade wielder ?

Just to add to this discussion, there is also a "scene" (just audio) that didn't appear in any game but in the KH Orchestra World Tour which features Kairi narrating a letter she has sent to Sora about
her and Lea being trained together to use the keyblade and about how she feels around him. Nothing major but just a little extra that some people might forget / not know about.

Last edited:

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, can someone explain to me about the 13 Darkness vs 7 Light thing again?

I know that it's about Xehanort putting a part of him inside each member of the organization, that's why 13 Darkness (at least this is what I think it is). But who are the 7 Light? Are they the princess of light? Or are they the guardians (Keyblade wielders). If it's the latter, who can be the Keyblade wielders that makes up the guardians? Do them have to share heart/mind connection with Sora like Roxas, Xion, Ventus, etc... or it can be anyone like Aqua, Terra, Riku, Kairi etc...

Has this been revealed yet or I'm asking for stuff that's in KH3? I've still got DDD to finish.

Last edited:

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Alright, can someone explain to me about the 13 Darkness vs 7 Light thing again?

I know that it's about Xehanort putting a part of him inside each member of the organization, that's why 13 Darkness. But who are the 7 Light? Are they the princess of light? Or are they the guardians (Keyblade wielders). If it's the latter, who can be the Keyblade wielders that makes up the guardians? Do them have to share heart/mind connection with Sora like Roxas, Xion, Ventus, etc... or it can be anyone like Aqua, Terra, Riku, Kairi etc...

Has this been revealed yet or I'm asking for stuff that's in KH3? I've still got DDD to finish.

We do not know who the seven lights are.

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
So I'm going through the story recap video, I was understanding mostly everything up to the end of KH 1 but know shit's getting real confusing with 358/2 Days and CoM. A couple of questions:

- During CoM, why is half of the Organization XIII sent to Castle Oblivion? I know Larxene and Marluxia wanted to use Namine to overthrow the Organization, but what about the others?

- Who created Xion? Xemnas? If so, why?

Thanks!

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Okay so in Terra's story after his Will becomes the armor and he beats Terranort...did that actually do anything? Terranort seems fine after all that in the final episode

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
So I'm going through the story recap video, I was understanding mostly everything up to the end of KH 1 but know shit's getting real confusing with 358/2 Days and CoM. A couple of questions:

- During CoM, why is half of the Organization XIII sent to Castle Oblivion? I know Larxene and Marluxia wanted to use Namine to overthrow the Organization, but what about the others?

Thanks!
Xemnas wanted his own Sora.

As to the Castle oblivion stuff that becomes clear after BBS

SuperSunBro

Dec 29, 2017
Is the Ventus in KHUX really the same Ventus in BBS? Or is it too soon to make conclusions as the story is still ongoing?

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They were all sent in to find the Chamber of Waking that is in Castle Oblivion. Ventus body rests there and that's a threat for Xemnas plans.
Xion was created by Xemnas as a backup plan for the Kingdom Hearts if Roxas sailed ship (which he did). Xemnas was not counting for Xion being able to create and follow her own heart, though.

Okay so in Terra's story after his Will becomes the armor and he beats Terranort...did that actually do anything? Terranort seems fine after all that in the final episode
It just made Terranort unconscious while Ventus and Aqua got rid of Vanitas.

Can someone explain to me why did Apprentice Xehanort called himself Ansem in the beginning of DDD?

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Can someone explain to me why did Apprentice Xehanort called himself Ansem in the beginning of DDD?
Because that's the moment he decided he wanted to be called Ansem. Like, he already penned himself as Ansem (The Ansem Reports). AX decided he wanted to continue to tarnish the name. So in that scene, he's like, "[fuck it]... my name is Ansem." His Heartless went by Ansem, his Nobody went by Xemnas.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017

I know that it's about Xehanort putting a part of him inside each member of the organization, that's why 13 Darkness (at least this is what I think it is). But who are the 7 Light? Are they the princess of light? Or are they the guardians (Keyblade wielders). If it's the latter, who can be the Keyblade wielders that makes up the guardians? Do them have to share heart/mind connection with Sora like Roxas, Xion, Ventus, etc... or it can be anyone like Aqua, Terra, Riku, Kairi etc...

They are the Princesses of Heart, however 7 Guardians can fight in their place.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who has zero experience with KH, I'm oddly drawn to KH3.

I know there is a YouTube story catch up, but I don't know if I'll watch it. I wonder if I'll be bewildered playing this one, story-wise. My money is on yes.

BigBluePig

Jul 5, 2018

I know there is a YouTube story catch up, but I don't know if I'll watch it. I wonder if I'll be bewildered playing this one, story-wise. My money is on yes.
There's a cool recap that just shows cutscenes and nothing else. I recommend that

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

Call me fucking crazy, but if I were in your position, I think what I'd do is play KH3 *blind as a bat* and then play the other games in release order to "fill it in" and be like "oooohhhhh" because this series has plenty of "OOOOHHHHHHHH" moments lol

I am not recommending this, but I just value that kind of experience as much as I do a linear one is all

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I never played any of the KH, but have made an honest effort to educate myself on the series lore this past week. And just when I think I have a grasp of things, DDD just goes full-on insane with the story. Is Young Xehanort among those carrying part of Xehanort's heart, or not? If he is, why did he not just travel in time to recruit 13 versions of himself to complete the ritual?

Does it just not make sense because time travel is a concept most writers and especially Nomura should avoid at all costs?
Thanks for clearing things up for me.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I never played any of the KH, but have made an honest effort to educate myself on the series lore this past week. And just when I think I have a grasp of things, DDD just goes full-on insane with the story. Is Young Xehanort among those carrying part of Xehanort's heart, or not? If he is, why did he not just travel in time to recruit 13 versions of himself to complete the ritual?

Does it just not make sense because time travel is a concept most writers and especially Nomura should avoid at all costs?

The implication is KH's time travel rules only allow one specific instance of Xehanort to exist with itself at once. So you can only have one YX, one Ansem, one Xemnas, etc. But if you displace your heart amongst 13 vessels, that's the workaround.

Feb 4, 2018

They are the Princesses of Heart, however 7 Guardians can fight in their place.
In Xehanort's plan the 7 guardians will clash against the 13 dark vessels. There's also an explanation as to why the guardians absolutely have to fight as well, but that's in an unlockable scene in DDD. I'll put it in spoiler tags below if you don't want to see it until you get there in the game.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
You'll learn the rules later but when you consider what Sora and Riku went through in KH1 it is possible.
Something they went through before in the first Kingdom Hearts? Hmm... Interesting.
There is a condition that needs to be met before you can travel through time, but Sora and Riku had luckily already met it before the game even began.
Oh? Now I'm even more intrigued. I'm not gonna ask anymore about this and just keep playing to find out for myself. Thanks y'all!

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Can I just say even though it obviously doesn't affect me in any way, it's great to see so many people in this thread looking to jump into KHIII either from scratch and with or without trying to catch up as well as everyone that has played some parts of the series and wants to get back in here. I remember a little while before FFXV and The Last Guardian came out (but close enough that we knew they actually we're coming, and soon) I said to myself that in spite of everything Tabata and co. tried with FFXV that I was never convinced it would turn out particularly great, or that at least all the changes and issues that went on during development would be a big factor. But I knew that TLG would end up being great as well as KH3, and even in this build up to KHIII I've almost only seen excitement about the game and barely anyone that has significant worries about how it'll turn out. The EDGE interview / feature with Nomura and Yasue just made me more excited than ever, I don't think I've seen an interview up until now about KHIII where they've seemed so relaxed, confident and positive about what they've created with the game.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Call me fucking crazy, but if I were in your position, I think what I'd do is play KH3 *blind as a bat* and then play the other games in release order to "fill it in" and be like "oooohhhhh" because this series has plenty of "OOOOHHHHHHHH" moments lol

I am not recommending this, but I just value that kind of experience as much as I do a linear one is all

Hmm, sounds to me like.....

You're fucking crazy

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017

The implication is KH's time travel rules only allow one specific instance of Xehanort to exist with itself at once. So you can only have one YX, one Ansem, one Xemnas, etc. But if you displace your heart amongst 13 vessels, that's the workaround.

Jesus Christ, I don't know if I can do this

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I bet someone already asked this, but was Namine's memory powers ever explained?
Yeah. She's a special nobody in that she was formed with the body and soul of Sora but the heart of Kairi. Princesses of Heart posses no darkness in their heart, so when they lose their heart, they go into a coma, no heartless, no nobody (you need darkness to create either). Sora housed Kairi's heart inside him and when he released his and her heart from his body, it created 2 nobodies. Despite it not being his heart, it was still inside him and as a being of light and dark he created Namine with his body and soul and Kairi's heart. Her being created of these special circumstances allows her to control Sora's memories in his heart and of those he is connected to.