• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Data worlds? So is the new world they were sent to actually empty and the Dandelions only go visit data recreations of the worlds from prior to the Keyblade War?

On a related note, is the new world the Dandelions sent to not what the world currently is? That's how I understood it this whole time...
Before the war all the Disney worlds in KHx were magical projections of the future from the Tome of Prophecy. Afterwards the Dandelions are in a data simulation of the time before the war created by the Master of Masters. This includes Disney worlds that the players never went to in the original.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Before the war all the Disney worlds in KHx were magical projections of the future from the Tome of Prophecy.
... Seriously? Out of all the texts I've read, not a single one seemed to mentioned this. Jesus. This is such a big thing. So this means the worlds they visit in [chi] were from the future? That would explain Mickey and friends being alive around this time. Damn.
Afterwards the Dandelions are in a data simulation of the time before the war created by the Master of Masters. This includes Disney worlds that the players never went to in the original.
So right now in Union [chi], the worlds the players go through are just simulations, since they're just meant to relive everything prior to the Keyblade War... I see. I wonder what's supposed to happen after they've relived everything then.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
... Seriously? Out of all the texts I've read, not a single one seemed to mentioned this. Jesus. This is such a big thing. So this means the worlds they visit in [chi] were from the future? That would explain Mickey and friends being alive around this time. Damn.
Yeah, sorta. Chi is set way way way in the past before the worlds were separate. None of the Disney stories happen until they appear in their respective KH games. The book pulls power from the future so the wielders have a focused objective in their quest to gather Lux. This also contextualizes the medals you use in the game.
So right now in Union [chi], the worlds the players go through are just simulations, since they're just meant to relive everything prior to the Keyblade War... I see. I wonder what's supposed to happen after they've relived everything then.
Yep. There are new worlds now because the story has passed the original end point. The players have some nightmares about the events but otherwise have their memories wiped. The Dandelion leaders are slowly understanding and following the instructions left to them by Ava.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Braig, who is actually the Master of Masters.
You know, I didn't think much of this at first but... I just finished watching Xigbar and Zexion's conversation (approximately from 11:30 to 15:45~) here and I'm beginning to actually consider it. A possible connection between the two, at least. I know there have been many times when someone is shown wearing the Organization's coat while their face is hidden, but the way Xigbar talks and his mannerisms just reminded me of the Master of Masters a little too much.

I still don't think it's actually him, but it's kind of freaking me out. Especially after reading a comment point out how Ansem the Wise had six apprentices, just like the Master of Masters did.
Yeah, sorta. Chi is set way way way in the past before the worlds were separate. None of the Disney stories happen until they appear in their respective KH games. The book pulls power from the future so the wielders have a focused objective in their quest to gather Lux. This also contextualizes the medals you use in the game.

Yep. There are new worlds now because the story has passed the original end point. The players have some nightmares about the events but otherwise have their memories wiped. The Dandelion leaders are slowly understanding and following the instructions left to them by Ava.
It's probably still gonna take a long time before all my questions about [chi] and its story are answered. *sighs* Still, this helps quite a lot. Thanks!

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
You know, I didn't think much of this at first but... I just finished watching Xigbar and Zexion's conversation (approximately from 11:30 to 15:45~) here and I'm beginning to actually consider it. A possible connection between the two, at least. I know there have been many times when someone is shown wearing the Organization's coat while their face is hidden, but the way Xigbar talks and his mannerisms just reminded me of the Master of Masters a little too much.

I still don't think it's actually him, but it's kind of freaking me out. Especially after reading a comment point out how Ansem the Wise had six apprentices, just like the Master of Masters did.

It's probably still gonna take a long time before all my questions about [chi] and its story are answered. *sighs* Still, this helps quite a lot. Thanks!

I see that as well in that conversation. I always found Xigbar to be very interesting. He seem to know way more than he should and almost like he is playing with everyone.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Braig always just seemed like an opportunistic conman, imo. I do think he will have some kind of role to play though.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm a bit confused about Unchained and Union X.

I understand the player is in a dream world where they're made to forget the war.

Unchained being the same as X but without the war.

Union X being after.

Do the fore tellers still exist? Or do they just randomly disappear in Union X?

BrokenIcarus

Oct 27, 2017
I used to be all about Kingdom Hearts back in the day. Played the shit out of KH2 and also played a bunch of KH1 and CoM. Last year I bought 2.5 HD and spent another 60 hours with KH2. Amazing game IMO.
I'm not even going to into anything post KH2, because for all I know it only gets more weird.
One thing I never quite understood was the ending of KH2. How exactly was Ansem SoD defeated?
I have Sora's quote stuck in my head. He knows with all his heart that Kingdom Hearts is light and then the door opens to reveal light and he just dies???
I always loves that scene, but what is actually happening there?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I used to be all about Kingdom Hearts back in the day. Played the shit out of KH2 and also played a bunch of KH1 and CoM. Last year I bought 2.5 HD and spent another 60 hours with KH2. Amazing game IMO.
I'm not even going to into anything post KH2, because for all I know it only gets more weird.
One thing I never quite understood was the ending of KH2. How exactly was Ansem SoD defeated?
I have Sora's quote stuck in my head. He knows with all his heart that Kingdom Hearts is light and then the door opens to reveal light and he just dies???
I always loves that scene, but what is actually happening there?

That particular Kingdom Hearts, manifesting as the door to the realm of darkness, was made of pure light to hold the darkness in. So when it opened up, all the light that made up the doorway came pouring out and eradicated Ansem, since he was a human-form Heartless.

BrokenIcarus

Oct 27, 2017
That particular Kingdom Hearts, manifesting as the door to the realm of darkness, was made of pure light to hold the darkness in. So when it opened up, all the light that made up the doorway came pouring out and eradicated Ansem, since he was a human-form Heartless.
I'm not sure if that explanation is making me more or less confused. How did Sora know?!

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017

I understand the player is in a dream world where they're made to forget the war.

Union X being after.

It's possible they perished during the war (Aside from Luxu if course). They could always pull a twist to the contrary though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Union X being after.

The insinuation in X is that they all died along with everyone else who didn't join the Dandelions and get uploaded into the digital replica world.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
So I want to get to KH3 ASAP. But I want to experience the series as proper as possible.

In your opinion, from the 1.5/2.5/2.8 collections - what are "must plays." And what are "just watch a story recap on youtube."

Also, if you could clarify what difficulty to play those "must play" games on. For example, people say Proud mode sucks in KH1, but it's a lot of fun in KH2., etc. etc.

THANKS

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So I want to get to KH3 ASAP. But I want to experience the series as proper as possible.

In your opinion, from the 1.5/2.5/2.8 collections - what are "must plays." And what are "just watch a story recap on youtube."

Also, if you could clarify what difficulty to play those "must play" games on. For example, people say Proud mode sucks in KH1, but it's a lot of fun in KH2., etc. etc.

THANKS

Must-Plays: KH1, KH2, Birth by Sleep
Maybe Play: Re: Chain of Memories.
Watch a recap: Dream Drop Distance.

If you just want to get through the story, play through them on either Standard or Proud. It really comes down to whether you want an easier time or a slightly more challenging one. Don't bother with Critical Mode.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Must-Plays: KH1, KH2, Birth by Sleep
Maybe Play: Re: Chain of Memories.
Watch a recap: Dream Drop Distance.

If you just want to get through the story, play through them on either Standard or Proud. It really comes down to whether you want an easier time or a slightly more challenging one. Don't bother with Critical Mode.

Okay. This seems to line up with mostly with what others are saying.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

My honest suggestion for Re:Chain is to play it for like an hour. If you like the gameplay, stick with it. If you don't like it, bail and watch a cutscene compilation. A lot happens in that game but the card battle system is not for everybody.

tm24

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I saw the first look on GiantBomb and i believe Pete mentions a box. Is this the weird mysterious box from UnionX or whatever that Luxu has?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

As mentioned above, maybe give CoM a try, but I pretty much abandoned the game after the first world as the combat and design really didn't work for me. After watching the summary I neither felt 20-30 ish hours of gameplay was worth the revelations you get out of it either. I fully endorse watching than playing personally.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible they perished during the war (Aside from Luxu if course). They could always pull a twist to the contrary though.
The insinuation in X is that they all died along with everyone else who didn't join the Dandelions and get uploaded into the digital replica world.

Nono I mean, I get that.

In Unchained, they're reliving all of their memories from X right? Just without the part about the war, that's fine.

But Union X takes places in the simulated world but after the war, and foretellers never existed in such a time. Do they still exist there?

Unless I'm getting the settings mixed up.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nono I mean, I get that.

In Unchained, they're reliving all of their memories from X right? Just without the part about the war, that's fine.

But Union X takes places in the simulated world but after the war, and foretellers never existed in such a time. Do they still exist there?

Unless I'm getting the settings mixed up.

I think the data world just treats it like they disappeared. They definitely existed at some point in the data world's history.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Does the game never touch on this? They just disappear and everyone's memories are programmed to think they never existed?

No, the data world's timeline is identical to the original one up until the point when the bell rings and the Keyblade War starts. The Data World just doesn't have the Keyblade war happen and the Foretellers are said to have disappeared.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What happened to the Master of Masters? Who is he? What's in the black box he had?
(If those are answered in KH3 then never mind)

Why did the master of Masters leave the apprentices? If he has a keyblade that let's him watch them why didn't he come back when they fractured?

Why does Kairi's heart leave her body in KH1? Clearly after that door was opened her body wasn't destroyed.

How can Naminé and Roxas seemingly exist at the same time as Sora and Kairi who both seem to be conscious and active shortly after their creation? The other apprentices of Ansem went dormant when their nobodies were made.

If Naminé is connected to Sora and that's why she can modify his memories how can she also modify Donald and Goofy's?

How was Xion created? If Xion is a counterpart for Roxas and is controllable when why bother with Roxas at all? Why not just kill him and let Xion replace him?

Why does Maleficent seemingly always end up helping Sora in KH2 when they were enemies? Is she some sort of anti-hero in this?

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
No, the data world's timeline is identical to the original one up until the point when the bell rings and the Keyblade War starts. The Data World just doesn't have the Keyblade war happen and the Foretellers are said to have disappeared.

I see, okay. Thanks!

No summary or post I've ever read or watched talk about them and it feels like it's too big of a factor to not mention.

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this game does a pisspoor job of easing you back in. It's like starting to watch a show during a conversation in the middle of the third episode of the fifth season.

I have played previous games, saw the "story so far" stuff, and still I have no idea what's going on. Thankfully Colliseum was an absolute joy to play and took my mind off the silly overarching plot.

Honestly, I think I like all the Organozation XIII stuff aboit as much as I like the Animus in Ass Creed. Which is not a lot.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
why is there a gold (mickey mouse) key blade and a metal one (sora's from kh 1)?

Mickey's Kingdom Key originated in the Realm of Darkness. It's the Dark Realm counterpart to Sora's key.

I see, okay. Thanks!

No summary or post I've ever read or watched talk about them and it feels like it's too big of a factor to not mention.

Union Cross is a giant headache and it's honestly better off being treated as its own wacky side canon outside of being the origin story for Marluxia and Larxene.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
What happened to the Master of Masters? Who is he? What's in the black box he had?

As of now, IIRC, there aren't answers to any of these questions.

Why did the master of Masters leave the apprentices? If he has a keyblade that let's him watch them why didn't he come back when they fractured?

The Master of Masters fully intended to allow the events his all-seeing eye foretold to play out, for unknown reasons.

Why does Kairi's heart leave her body in KH1? Clearly after that door was opened her body wasn't destroyed.

I'm not actually sure what the answer to your question is, but...

Kairi is a Princess of Heart, so she doesn't have darkness in her heart like other characters do. So the rules that normally apply when people lose their hearts don't function in the same way with her.

How can Naminé and Roxas seemingly exist at the same time as Sora and Kairi who both seem to be conscious and active shortly after their creation? The other apprentices of Ansem went dormant when their nobodies were made.

Namine and Roxas were born when Sora released Kairi's heart from within his own and became a Heartless. Because Kairi's heart was within Sora's, releasing it created an unusual Nobody (Namine). Because Sora managed to regain his human form shortly after losing it, Roxas continued to exist, but without any of Sora's memories (unlike most Nobodies who retain their previous memories).

If Naminé is connected to Sora and that's why she can modify his memories how can she also modify Donald and Goofy's?

Namine can also modify any memories that involve Sora, no matter who they belong to.

How was Xion created? If Xion is a counterpart for Roxas and is controllable when why bother with Roxas at all? Why not just kill him and let Xion replace him?

Xion was created by constructing a replica of Sora's powers, based primarily on his memories of Kairi. (She's a literal manifestion of "my friends are my power!")

The Organization was actually willing to allow either Xion or Roxas to do away with the other, as long as it meant one of them surviving.

Why does Maleficent seemingly always end up helping Sora in KH2 when they were enemies? Is she some sort of anti-hero in this?
Maleficent has a stake in defeating Xemnas, since he keeps sending Nobodies after her Heartless.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Mickey's Kingdom Key originated in the Realm of Darkness. It's the Dark Realm counterpart to Sora's key.

Union Cross is a giant headache and it's honestly better off being treated as its own wacky side canon outside of being the origin story for Marluxia and Larxene.

And Ventus too!

See, that's what I want to do as well but then there's Maleficent and I don't know. I feel like it's not going to be relevant but it might.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
How powerful is Mickey in the overall scheme of things ? Not that there are any clear "powerful levels" in this series anyway.

Also, has Maleficent been permanently nerfed to hell ?

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
How powerful is Mickey in the overall scheme of things ? Not that there are any clear "powerful levels" in this series anyway.

If he's a Keyblade Master and has been wielding keyblades since before BBS. I'd assume he's probably one of the most powerful users. Makes sense that Disney's mascot is the most badass, doubt they'd have it any other way.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
If he's a Keyblade Master and has been wielding keyblades since before BBS. I'd assume he's probably one of the most powerful users. Makes sense that Disney's mascot is the most badass, doubt they'd have it any other way.

Why is he the only character that traverses darkness without being affected at all?

As far as we know Mickey was never affected (psychologically or physically) by the darkness,right ?

This seems to be a unique ability of his.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Why is he the only character that traverses darkness without being affected at all?

As far as we know Mickey was never affected (psychologically or physically) by the darkness,right ?

This seems to be a unique ability of his.

Not really sure, honestly. I'm reading his wikipedia page and it just says that it's because he has a really strong strength of heart.

Yeah, he hasn't ever seemed to have been affected by darkness.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
What's the power of waking that Sora lost and did he lost it?

Sora never had the power of waking. The main purpose of the DDD game, and the Mark of Mastery exam was for him to gain that power. ( spoiler: he didn't )

What he lost are his power-levels as a Keyblade wielder. The specifics of what he lost isn't clear, but basically he can no longer pull off Drive Forms and all that jazz.

It's basically just a plot device to start him back from Level-1 in KH3 and strip him of his old fancy KH2 and Flowmotion powers.

Oct 25, 2017
Sora never had the power of waking. The main purpose of the DDD game, and the Mark of Mastery exam was for him to gain that power. ( spoiler: he didn't )

What he lost are his power-levels as a Keyblade wielder. The specifics of what he lost isn't clear, but basically he can no longer pull off Drive Forms and all that jazz.

It's basically just a plot device to start him back from Level-1 in KH3 and strip him of his old fancy KH2 and Flowmotion powers.

Oh, ok, and what's the power itself?
Another key wielder is supposed to have it? Because everyone fights similar..

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone please explain. I played through the other two games in the series (Originally and the remasters on PS3 yet I still don't understand any of it) and watched the memory archive in KH3 but still don't really understand what's going on in KH3.

The game just throws you in the deep end and assumes you know.

Why is maleficent stil alive? I thought with all the beatings she's taken in other games she would be sick of it all.

Does the story leave off right after 2 or one of the spinoffs?

It's just so disjointed and messy I have no idea what it is I'm doing. I'm still in Olympus though. But it feels like I've just been put here for no reason or explanation.

Like where is Mickey, Riku, Sora's gf and why is Riku also evil Riku sometimes? With long hair and evil looking. Why does Riku like and hate Sora at the same time and they always fighting throughout the games?

Most of it involves this guy called xenahort. However he was hardly in KH1 and 2 was he in the other games or something? Also who is Ansem? He was the bad guy in KH1 but now he isn't?

What happened the Christopher Lee character too?

Like what is it I'm actually doing in KH3? The organisation 13 shows up now and then but I don't really know who they work for or who they are. Xenahort wants to make 13 xenahort's but what's that got to do with anything else and why? Is that related to Org 13 too? What is xenahorts end objective in all this? Just to rule all the other kingdoms like frozen world etc?

The game is great gameplay wise but man that story...such an uphill battle with it.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
People will explain more coincisely, but KH3 is actually more a sequel to BBS and DDD than it is to KH2. You basically are jumping to the 3rd game in a trilogy where you haven't played first two.
The story is so complicated the regents if I had played them this story would be lost to me just like I've played the other mainline games and they were hard to follow too

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
The story is so complicated the regents if I had played them this story would be lost to me just like I've played the other mainline games and they were hard to follow too
The thing is basically all the games are mainline games, just because they're not numbered or on a home console doesn't mean they're not important or as central to the plot as 1 and 2 (BBS was originally going to be KH0, for example).