• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The creator previously made and sold hand-drawn guides on his site which sold out extremely fast and today he launched a KS for hardcover versions of the previous ones plus the new Metroid one. I own the previous Zelda one and it's fucking awesome so I decided to get all three hardcovers through the KS.

Digital versions of the three previous guides are $1 each or $2 for all three on his site
handdrawngameguides.gumroad.com

Hand-Drawn Game Guides

Thanks for your interest in Hand-Drawn Game Guides. We're currently out of stock!

Single hardcover = $25 US each or a bundle of all three for $65 US
www.kickstarter.com

Hand-Drawn Game Guides (Canceled)

Painstakingly drawn and hand written unofficial & unauthorized guides for classic games.

Here's a video someone made showing off the Zelda one.

Last edited:

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
He won't have any issues? Since it looks so good that it would suck for him to get a C&D

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
6HG6oQc.jpeg

come through katsuya terada homage!!!
(image courtesy of kickstarter page)

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
What makes this different from all other unofficial guides that makes people think it'll be shut down?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I have a Mother 3 guide called "Pork Army Survival Manual" which is an extremely detailed guide similar to the Earthbound one that was made & sold by Fangamer a while back without any issues if I recall. I think this will be fine.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
unofficial strategy guides usually got in trouble for using official art.

Since he is hand drawing these The usual stoppage that occurred on all those "unofficial guides" back in the 90's is gone.

I think he has a good shot at keeping it going, I hope it works out beyond his wildest dream.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
These look SUPER rad but like... they look basically glorified amateur comic books and sketches, punched-up into "guides." I have seen ZERO in the screenshots included in the video to indicate they're actually a good, functional guide?

The hand-drawn artwork is ultra-charming and is super cool but it's some dude's notebook retelling of the game's plot... he even refers to them as "storybook retellings." A lot of pages seem to be devoted to instruction booklet stuff like movement, and controls?

I wish we could see more of how they actually function as a walkthrough or guide to secrets, etc.

5490bbea0cc4784a22a9b590fc4aaac0_original.jpg

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing these a while back and thought they were super cool - seem like a nice shelf piece to flip through if nothing else. I'm probably in for the Zelda one, at least, but the full set is cheap enough that I might consider it...

These look SUPER rad but like... they look basically glorified amateur comic books and sketches, punched-up into "guides." I have seen ZERO in the screenshots included in the video to indicate they're actually a good, functional guide?

The hand-drawn artwork is ultra-charming and is super cool but it's some dude's notebook retelling of the game's plot... he even refers to them as "storybook retellings." A lot of pages seem to be devoted to instruction booklet stuff like movement, and controls?

I wish we could see more of how they actually function as a walkthrough or guide to secrets, etc.

5490bbea0cc4784a22a9b590fc4aaac0_original.jpg

He sells digital versions for "pay what you want," so if you're willing to throw him a couple bucks you can see what you're getting in advance.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I saw this on Nintendo Life and they look super interesting. The guy from that site does state that he used this to finish Zelda, which he'd never done before.

I might pick up the bundle, which is about £58.

OP
OP
Fuzzy

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Update today about shipping cost and BackerKit to add books after the campaign if you want extras or different combinations.

Hey Backers!

It's Daydreaming Davey this time beaming in from my home planet (which currently has sketchy wifi)! Super nice to meet all of you! A quick warning... I tend to ramble. This update covers two important details for backers: shipping expense breakdown and BackerKit plans for adding more books. We've gotten a fair amount of questions regarding both, so let's have a quick look at the details...

Shipping Costs, Crowdfunding's Greatest Scourge

If you're in the States, hopefully you're happy with our low-cost shipping! It took some work to get it down to that simple $5 cost so we hope that's working for people.

For our international backers, we're well aware of how expensive it is. If you can believe it, these prices are actually discount shipping! So, let me walk you through the costs...

Fulfilling Kickstarter campaigns can be a nightmarish challenge, especially if the backer/order counts get up to the big numbers. Well, here we are in the big numbers. We elected to partner with two fulfillment warehouse companies. One (M-Pack) is based in the US. The other is run by a very good friend of mine (Stephen Robson) and is set up in England. Warehousing in two countries reduces postage cost for backers.

Most KS campaigns will just ship everything from one location. In our case, that would be the USA. When we check the USPS international first class shipping cost for our three-book package, the postage is $48! Then you have to add the packaging and labor cost. Basically, if we shipped everything ourselves through normal means, we'd have to charge way more than we are just to avoid losing money on each international order. By shipping from England, we got the cost down much lower for our European and International backers because it's cheaper to ship via courier service from the UK than from the US. Of course, we have to pay these warehouse partners their fees, but the overall cost is lower.

There's more info here, but I just want to make sure no one thinks we're overcharging for shipping.

I promise, we've done everything we can to get that cost as low as possible for you. I'm sorry it's still very expensive and understand some international backers will be unable to back because of that. It is, unfortunately, out of our control.

BackerKit Bonanza!

Want to add a second book? Want a different combination of titles that what's available in Kickstarter directly? Want just Zelda and Metroid? Good news! All this and more becomes possible after the campaign via BackerKit!

If you're unaware, BackerKit is a system that provides a lot of extra tools for campaign management and reward fulfillment. Basically, it makes it easier for us to get your rewards to you.

In addition, it will allow backers to add extra items to their orders.

After the Kickstarter campaign is finished, your payment methods will be charged. Soon after that, you'll receive a survey link where you can fill out important details like your shipping address, best contact email, etc. In that survey, you'll also be able to add more items from the campaign via the BackerKit Add-on store.

Good news regarding how this affects shipping cost! The Add-on store factors in the shipping you've already paid into your order on Kickstarter. So if you add more books and it raises your shipping cost, you'll only be charged the extra shipping expense.

There'll be more details soon about BackerKit. For now, just rest assured you will be able to add more books. So just pick the tier that has what you want and you can add the extra books in your survey.

Okay, that's all I've got for you today! We'll have a ton of exciting details to share with you going forward, including production photos, manufacturing videos, making-of content... and way, way more. It's gonna be crazy fun and we're thrilled we get to share this process with you!

Talk soon! ;)

~D.M. Cumbo

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is striking against my memory as substantially classier art work but this gives me vibes of my childhood-adored "Versus" brand FFVII guide. Loved that thing and the poster it came with.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well I didn't know I was pleadging $65 on gameguides today but here I am. Thanks OP for that thread and bump.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I remember in the 8-bit days there were some *really* nice handdrawn maps that appeared in magazines for games, drawn by people with real talent such that they were both nice artwork as well as usable maps.

That's something that has somewhat fallen by the wayside in recent years, but I'd love to see a resurgence. This is along similar lines and also up my street.

OP
OP
Fuzzy

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
New stretch goals.

($250k) Bookplates for all physical tier Backers!
($275k) Digital Download Pack for Every Backer!
($300k) The Art of Hand-Drawn Game Guides Physical Edition - Campaign Exclusive Add-on Option!

Check the details in the latest update.

www.kickstarter.com

Update 7: NEW STRETCH GOALS ANNOUNCED! · Hand-Drawn Game Guides (Canceled)

Happy Friday, Backers! Phil and Dave here. We hope you're excited! You asked for them and here they are! We’re psyched to finally reveal our mid-campaign stretch goals! This campaign has been legendary, thanks to all of your support. The more we raise, the more we reward you! We're well on our...

Khalid

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I see when you pledge you can choose a destination, well 40$ &for shipping.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
How is it different than the Mother 3 and Earthbound handbooks Fangamer has been selling for over a decade? Or all of those unofficiall guides flooding the market in the 90's?
So uh yea, your thoughts on this? Nintendo is uh pretty insane when it comes to stuff like this. It was pretty obvious something like this was going to happen.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
Majorly disappointing. Was really looking forward to these. Hope whatever he's working on pans out.

Did he refund the Kickstarter backers?

You don't get charged until the Kickstarter ends. I got an email stating the whole campaign was cancelled and no one will be charged.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Feels like they should have requested permission beforehand before doing the Kickstarter. But since no one was actually charged I guess its no big deal.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
So uh yea, your thoughts on this? Nintendo is uh pretty insane when it comes to stuff like this. It was pretty obvious something like this was going to happen.
I wouldn't say this is was an obvious conclusion to the Kickstarter, personally. This isn't a fan game and uses all-original assets. It's just based on Nintendo related things. These kinds of projects have historically been able to avoid Nintendo's takedowns. Fangamer, for example, has been involved in making and selling more than one book on Earthbound, and I don't think those have been officially licensed either.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say this is was an obvious conclusion to the Kickstarter, personally. This isn't a fan game and uses all-original assets. It's just based on Nintendo related things. These kinds of projects have historically been able to avoid Nintendo's takedowns. Fangamer, for example, has been involved in making and selling more than one book on Earthbound, and I don't think those have been officially licensed either.
Fangamer seems to have support from other gaming companies from my limited observation so they probably have a better leg up on negotiations to avoid this kind of thing.

That and it being Mother could be another factor, considering we also have Itoi as a factor.

tohlew

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any chance it was Kickstarter itself that had the issue? Have there been other projects that use Nintendo's IPs to create goods that were successfully funded? Not that I don't think raising a stink over this is the likely reason, just curious.