• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this on reddit. I thought it was a good video. Kid seems so smart for his age too.

Just wanted to share this.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
VRchat is seriously awesome. I've found it surprising how generally enjoyable everyone makes it. I really haven't run into very many mean or rude people at all.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was compelling in a trippy sort of way.

A little sad how twattish people can be and frustrating how good people like the kid here are so hard on themselves when actual assholes never think twice about their selfish, harmful actions.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Really great video, you can tell he's digested these experiences and his reflections on them portray a maturity that you wouldn't expect. What's really surprising is the way he portrays his recollections of bullying or the memory of his uncle talking to him about his hair, where he's not looking for vengeance or harboring hatred or anything of that matter but rather just wants some form of acceptance for himself from those around him. From the sounds of things dude has managed to escape the mentality of being a victim as well as being radicalized into something else, and instead is just a really kind person who wants his own kindness returned to him. Hope he manages to find some more happiness in his life in addition to vr chat.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VRchat is seriously awesome. I've found it surprising how generally enjoyable everyone makes it. I really haven't run into very many mean or rude people at all.

It's honestly something super amazing. Video games have always been about being able to step outside yourself, and VRChat takes that to the next level. It's a pure social experience where you can be whoever you want/whatever you want, and just interact with people with no other pretenses, and explore all the cool worlds people have made. It's so cool to see how people express themselves in it, be it by the avatar they wear or the mannerisms that come across in body language and speech even in VR. It has this really surreal but freeing feeling that you can be anyone you want, it's a complete mask. Like this person being able to open up in this way. It's a super immersive and escapism feeling that few games have ever achieved for me.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
LMFAO that ending.

I already own a PSVR but I recently got a gaming rig and really want to get a Vive, VRChat is definitely one of the big reasons.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LMFAO that ending.

I already own a PSVR but I recently got a gaming rig and really want to get a Vive, VRChat is definitely one of the big reasons.

I'd suggest an Oculus Rift over a Vive at this point. It's cheaper and the OR's hand controllers work better in VRChat than the Vive wands. I straight up hate the Vive's trackpads in VRChat, they're so finicky.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
There's something heartbreaking about having that level of self awareness without the reassurance that being yourself is OK. It's easy to fall into a sense of dispair thinking you've got it all figured out except the answers. Especially at that young age. It's neat that VR is helping the kid cope.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I'd suggest an Oculus Rift over a Vive at this point. It's cheaper and the OR's hand controllers work better in VRChat than the Vive wands. I straight up hate the Vive's trackpads in VRChat, they're so finicky.

Any news on upcoming and significant improvements to VR tech? My concern is that the tech is likely to improve dramatically in the next 1-3 years, and it'd kinda sting to spent $500 on a headset/controllers only to have a new/better experience available 6 months later.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales

Interesting, cheers for the advice. I always assumed the Rift was nowhere near as good as the Vive but some quick Googling suggests there's not a ton in it?

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any news on upcoming and significant improvements to VR tech? My concern is that the tech is likely to improve dramatically in the next 1-3 years, and it'd kinda sting to spent $500 on a headset/controllers only to have a new/better experience available 6 months later.

Yeah there's some stuff on the horizon like the Pimax headsets which look quite good. The newest Vive headset has eye tracking and foveated rendering which will be awesome, but is priced for enterprise usage (aka easily over $1k). I believe you can get the full Oculus Rift bundle for under $500 but it's guaranteed there's stuff on the horizon — though all of it will likely be expensive. Someone else who follows the industry closer might be able to give a more definitive answer.

Interesting, cheers for the advice. I always assumed the Rift was nowhere near as good as the Vive but some quick Googling suggests there's not a ton in it?

Sorry not sure what you mean by not a ton in it. Are you referring to the product you buy? The bundle like this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826910005 comes with all the tracking stuff and hand controllers.

Last edited:

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
The oculus set is $300...

Deleted member 13015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was so heartfelt, this kid is so smart...

Kid, if somehow you're reading this, let me tell you that those days of high school will suck.. but they will change you for the better. You will fall many times, but you will learn to pick yourself up. You have a bright future, and you will meet real people who actually listen and care about you. I was ignored and was just a background character most of my life while being with other people of my age. I grew up with anxiety, ADHD, and OCD... Nobody understood me, and I felt alone and frustrated because of that. At around close to my mid 20s, I began to meet real people who really cared about me, and not just wanna hang out and have no connections what so ever. I have a beautiful girl who is emotionally intelligent as I am, which I never thought I would get, who loves and cares about me deeply, which again I never thought I would get.
You're a strong mother fucker, you'll keep on getting stronger. The struggles you'll face will shape you into the man that many will wish they could be or have as a partner. Keep searching for that perfect medication that will help with ADHD, trial and error like I did, and you will find that one medication that controls your ADHD and doesn't make you feel like shit. The one I'm taking now is called TRADEA slow release (Metilfenidato), 20 mg per day. Slow release really helped me since it released through out the day and not just in one bang.

I went on this rant because I saw my younger self in you, don't give up, be a strong mother fucker and don't let others decide how you should feel. Be yourself, be the best version of yourself, don't EVER compare your life to others.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've seen a lot of this in VRchat. It's a very appealing medium for people since it's a bit of an escapist utopia in a lot of ways with a friendly, light hearted cartoony atmosphere. I think that makes it an easy place to open up or be willing to express your views instead of holding them in.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
The oculus set is $300...

I thought it was $350? By the time you add tax it's closer to $400. Either way, I guess I'm just hesitant to spend hundreds of dollars on something that might be outdated within months. It feels a lot worse than buying a new phone or buying a new CPU/GPU, relatively-speaking. I appreciate the insight, though. I think I'll just wait until I know I have a good chunk of free time to really enjoy a purchase, then buy whatever is the best (per dollar) at that time.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
These types of videos that Syrmor has been putting out are really great.

I like this kid's animations, they greatly remind me of the type of stuff I made when I was in high school. Hopefully his skills take him far!

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, that kid is me! (Not literally)
All whathe said is true, I've always felt weird when talking, I really cant focus that well, I have severe insomnia, people think I'm weird and they do what they did to him, just start talking and ignore you.
This touched me

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Yeah there's some stuff on the horizon like the Pimax headsets which look quite good. The newest Vive headset has eye tracking and foveated rendering which will be awesome, but is priced for enterprise usage (aka easily over $1k). I believe you can get the full Oculus Rift bundle for under $500 but it's guaranteed there's stuff on the horizon — though all of it will likely be expensive. Someone else who follows the industry closer might be able to give a more definitive answer.

Sorry not sure what you mean by not a ton in it. Are you referring to the product you buy? The bundle like this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826910005 comes with all the tracking stuff and hand controllers.

Sorry I meant not a lot of difference in quality between the sets. I guess I must've got it in my head that the Vive was miles better somehow but my quick research suggests not.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Heartfelt video and I appreciate the two older guys listening and joking around with the kid in a nice way.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I always enjoy hanging with the friends i've made on vrc. Despite the general toxicity of public lobbies there are always people who're like minded and don't fall into that toxicity. And using an oculus makes it so much more fun and interactive. Definitely recommend for those interested in VR.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry I meant not a lot of difference in quality between the sets. I guess I must've got it in my head that the Vive was miles better somehow but my quick research suggests not.

Ah, yeah, from what I recall the headsets are pretty similar in terms of specs (comparing base Oculus Rift with base Vive, not Vive Pro). It mostly just comes down to the difference in controllers and price, which imo the Oculus Rift hand controllers are way better than the Vive wands, especially with Valve's knuckle controllers still MIA. Once the knuckles are out it might be a completely different story, as those look quite good, but they'll be released on Valve time so we might still be years away.

The big advantage to the Vive is that the Lighthouse trackers works with other headsets, so if you were ever to get another headset you would probably be able to use the Lighthouse trackers again, whereas the Oculus Rift trackers only work with Oculus Rift.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, what a wholesome child!

I'm tearing up because he's so young and already having to put up with all that nonesense. The way he speaks about it with such levity denotes so much maturity.

Definitely deserves better than being made fun of for having long hair, or having ADHD. School systems can be cruel and no one really helps you.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The real deal in VR are those Windows Mixed Reality headsets when they go on sale. The Lenovo ones work great with glasses and I got my pair for about $200 on sale a while back. The drivers work perfectly now and the inside-out tracking is just fine for VRChat and most good VR games (that tracking also means you don't have to worry about setting up sensors around you, similar to PSVR).

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This was such a heart warming vid. Ty for sharing it. I hope this kid goes on to be happy and successful.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
That ending was better than whatever the fuck I saw in Glass.

edit - great vid though.

Last edited:

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Props to the video creator; wholesome, entertaining, introspective and VRChat looks very wild/whimsical which adds a whole other spin.

Reminds me when I was a kid on the internet. I used to play a lot of social mmo games like Furcadia, where it was more about existing in a virtual space with people than combat. You'd always run into people a lot like this kid who were friendly but had a lot they wanted to work out and the environment of the game gave them the kind of venue and freedom they needed for that where it wasn't really available easily otherwise.

👍🏻

dialogic

Oct 30, 2017
That is a really nice video. It's nice to see that the VR environment can be a safe space for kids like this to open up; kudos to the creator for giving him an opportunity to tell his story. So much support in the Youtube comments, too -- I'm surprised.

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic ending. lol

I wasn't aware that a Ready Player One-like virtual environment was already a real thing. That's extraordinary.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
What an oddly touching video. Kinda teared up a little, just hearing this kid talk so earnestly about his struggles and his feelings.

"That's called 'gotcha journalism'." also made me laugh out loud.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
For people interested in open conversation and analysis about identity in the futurist-esque context of an increasingly digital age (mostly) through the lens of VRChat [and other topics], Endgame on Youtube holds some fun in-game discussions usually with other members of the community on these kind of things.

Even if ya don't take all of it that seriously there are some earnest perspectives, thoughtful and middling alike! And there's a lotta them!! (Though not a lot of views in proportion.. :p)

Newlove

Oct 28, 2017
England

The Oculus Quest is coming this year. Not the full desktop version but wireless and bridges between Go and Rift. Hear it's hardware is similar to Switch. Same price as Rift. Look into it. Unsure if VR chat will be on it.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I teared up a bit at hearing his experiences. I'm glad that he can find a place where he can be himself and understood. He shows a lot of maturity in his introspection behind his years. I hope things get better for him.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Kids these days are so mature and intelligent. I did not expect all of that to come out. And wow, what an ending.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
This makes me happy and sad at the same time. I've seen VR Chat help some people in really awesome ways. Sucks that the kid had to get homeschooled because of shitass kids though :/