• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
insidethemagic.net

$64,000 Arribas Castle Destroyed in Seconds - Inside the Magic

An expensive Arribas Disney castle model has been severely damaged at a Shanghai museum. See details about the incident and more Arribas art inside.

An expensive blown glass castle has been accidentally destroyed at the Shanghai Museum of Glass. Billed as the world's largest glass castle, the impressive piece of artwork was created by Spanish glassblower Miguel Arribas and inspired by Cinderella Castle at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida.

Arribas spent 500 hours crafting the expensive castle that is estimated to have been worth $64,000 prior to the incident. This is largely due to its 24-karat gold spires

In May, two children were running through the Museum of Glass and inadvertently hit the display case where 'The Fantasy Castle' was housed. The reverberation caused the main spire and other parts of the castle to break

ggtn-cinderella-castle.jpeg

Cuz I'm oooooonly a craaaaaack
In this caaaaaastle of glaaaaass
Hardly aaaaaanything leeeeeeeft
For you to seeeee...

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How goes the saying?
"Like two children in a China glass museum."

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Damn that would be a viral video
Also wow, just 64k? Seems very low

Would be more interesting to see those kid's parents reactions...if they dismiss it or actually get mad

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
My God.

I can't imagine the sinking feeling those kids or their parents had when that castle started to crumble.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the pic makes it look bigger than it actually is.
It's not about the size, he spent 500 hours on it. And he's apparently good enough to be put into a museum. That's simply not very high at all. It might just not have been very good.

Without considering materials, that's only $128/hr.

A lot of value being tied up in the gold makes it even worse.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
In the future there will be a little walled in trams that goes around the exhibits to protect them from people.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can relate to this every time I go within 20m of a glassware aisle with my kids, who decide to spontaneously become feral.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That glass bridge video is cursed.

That's my nightmare. Keep those kids away from my place of work. Aaaah. Awful.

Like this:

If anything, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often given how people generally behave in museums.
Particularly in smaller museums that don't or can't protect everything perfectly for a number of reasons.