• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I love this show a lot. It still has bad elements in it that I wish weren't in it, but I mean... So does Game of Thrones, but I don't seem to hear a lot about that. Probably because anime has a target painted on it when it comes to representation of women (for damn good reason, mind you). But it's far better at representation than a good amount of anime, there were just a few plot elements that really stick out.

Jul 5, 2019
"I don't like this anime that sexualizes teenagers and has literal sexual assault within the first episode."

"iT's DeCoNsTrUcTiOn YoU lOsT tHe WaY lOl xD"

Y'all are something, lmao.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
People love the word cringe. Man.... The most over used word on this forum next to "immersion" and "pineapples".

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
Anime in general is cringe af. I enjoyed KlK but yeh the fanservice can be pretty off putting. Especially when you consider they're all supposed to be in high school, lol.

But fr fanservice in anime fucking sucks and has completey turned me off from the medium. Same with all the "waifu wars" bullshit. So fucking cringe dude.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I swear, some of you just about hate everything. And cringe at everything, acting like high school teenagers. Not that I like fan service in anime, but I appreciated how unique KLK was. You can appreciate the things an anime does right, while ignoring the things you dislike.

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
But fr fanservice in anime fucking sucks and has completey turned me off from the medium. Same with all the "waifu wars" bullshit. So fucking cringe dude.

That's so true. I'm getting back into anime and while some shows are great, trying to join a discussion is a futile attempt. There's always a bunch of people salivating over and objectifying young-looking characters and it skeeves me out. Doesn't help that most female characters are either overly emotional/immature/hyper or silent/emotionless/badass, with few characters falling in-between.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
KLK is the only one of "those" shows that I actually made it through and loved.

I remember watching parts of High School of the Dead when it was on Netflix years and years ago. That was really, really bad all around.

Jul 5, 2019
I swear, some of you just about hate everything. And cringe at everything, acting like high school teenagers. Not that I like fan service in anime, but I appreciated how unique KLK was. You can appreciate the things an anime does right, while ignoring the things you dislike.
I can't ignore the horribly sexualization of teenage girls as a blatant selling point of this show, but go off, I guess.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kill la Kill had some good things going for it but it is not a good anime. I liked some of the concepts and characters but it sucks by the end.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
KLK is the only one of "those" shows that I actually made it through and loved.

I remember watching parts of High School of the Dead when it was on Netflix years and years ago. That was really, really bad all around.

I feel like HotD is worth watching just for seeing the absurdity of the sniper scene.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think I could ever look past the children in lingerie. Think I watched two or three episodes back when I was younger so it was somewhat less creepy, but I really don't watch much anime anymore because of shit like this.

YungSpilly

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
User Banned (permanent): dismissing the sexualization of minors, account in junior phase
I enjoyed KLK quite a bit; it was refreshing to watch something that so fully embraced being exciting, titillating, and above all else, scrappy. There wasn't any real deconstruction going on, in my opinion, but i did appreciate the utilization of fanservice and blatant sexualization as plot and thematic devices. I should rewatch it, but part of the fun was watching it as it aired with other people.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a lame show and it isn't nearly as funny or clever as it wants you to think

It's almost like when people think Starship Trooper is an action film. It's almost like they missed something ...
Kill la Kill wants it both ways tho

They're satirizing the sexualization while also keenly profiting off of it.

There's a point past where we already "got the joke" and we're really just watching bouncing tits and ass

i think, frankly, a lot of people say they like the show because it's satire but secretly they like it because it gives them an excuse to enjoy the fanservice "guilt-free"

because the writing is shit so it can't be that

I aborted the series after 2 or 3 eps. What a cluster-fuck.

It did spawn a series of great cosplays tho. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
See what i mean?

both ways.

Outside of looking nice KlK does absolutely nothing right for me

It's not well written

Last edited:

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I aborted the series after 2 or 3 eps. What a cluster-fuck.

It did spawn a series of great cosplays tho. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
It was awful, but then so was Gurren Lagann and FLCL so there's definitely a "style" of anime that bounces right off me.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
KLK was ok

the only part I found amazing was the ost

otherwise pretty overhyped and overrated show among anime ppl

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was awful, but then so was Gurren Lagann and FLCL so there's definitely a "style" of anime that bounces right off me.
As stated above, i didn't like Kill la Kill at all and I didn't care for Gurren Lagann either but I recall the original FLCL to be pretty damn good.

haven't seen the new series tho

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
I watched the first few episodes and found it super creepy. It's a big shame because the art style is awesome. Maybe I should give it a second chance, but... I'm not sure

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I enjoyed KLK quite a bit; it was refreshing to watch something that so fully embraced being exciting, titillating, and above all else, scrappy. There wasn't any real deconstruction going on, in my opinion, but i did appreciate the utilization of fanservice and blatant sexualization as plot and thematic devices. I should rewatch it, but part of the fun was watching it as it aired with other people.
Yikes. And this is a progressive forum we're talking about. Makes you think what people actually think and can't really express here because they might get permabanned.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I know some people who like this but as for me I'm all
tumblr_n7sntiTit51qz59n2o1_500.jpg

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
Is there something wrong with people not enjoying a thing that you enjoy? Some people actually can't enjoy media in part when there are other aspects they find objectionable. For some, ignoring what they dislike is not possible. I don't think that's something to be held against them.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed it, I know what it was going for, but it would be nice if I could just recommend it as a fun show with good animation to people without a thousand caveats. I don't think the half ironic fan service was really that additive either.
"I don't like this anime that sexualizes teenagers and has literal sexual assault within the first episode."

"iT's DeCoNsTrUcTiOn YoU lOsT tHe WaY lOl xD"

Y'all are something, lmao.
"Don't Lose Your Way" is the main song. It was a reference to that

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i think, frankly, a lot of people say they like the show because it's satire but secretly they like it because it gives them an excuse to enjoy the fanservice "guilt-free"
I like it because it's bonkers and stupid and awesome. I'd like it even more if the costumes weren't quite as embarrassing.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Is there something wrong with people not enjoying a thing that you enjoy? Some people actually can't enjoy media in part when there are other aspects they find objectionable. For some, ignoring what they dislike is not possible. I don't think that's something to be held against them.

There isn't, but that works both ways. People will go after others for finding enjoyment in media that has offensive aspects to it.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Some people in this thread ignore that KLK is a show about people fighting alien clothes that are enslaving humanity. Nudity in this context makes sense, however i agree that is disturbing, and the authors should have aged the characters because the show doesn't get anything from them being underaged. The whole story and events would be the same but it would be way less creepy.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it has a lot to do with age. I loved stuff like that when I was a teen. Now that I'm 30, I just can't. As an example, I bought Code Vein without knowing much about it except that is anime Dark Souls. Lo and behold, the fucking thing is the most anime motherfucker I've ever played. There's an amount of unnecessary partial nudity and BIG ANIME TITTIES™ in the game that I just have a hard time with it. It's a shame because I'm enjoying the gameplay and design quite a lot (I'm a sucker for souls clones)

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I also quit after episode 2 or 3 years ago when it came out. There was way too much fanservice for me and I've never had much of a tolerance for that, especially with underage girls.

Other than that, I have no strong opinions aside from the fact that in no way was the fanservice needed for some meta commentary on human sexuality or w/e. Tons of shows have had great discussions on those kind of topics without much significant fanservice at all. The fanservice was there primarily to please horny otaku and animators.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it but yeah I would never recommend it to anybody and I would never defend it if someone bounced off it.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Stop watching anime. Problem solved.
I like the people who watch Kill la Kill and go, "this is the reason I don't watch anime." Like, what the hell were you expecting when you saw scantily clad girls whose power comes from their outfits?

Like, I could list a dozen fantastic series devoid of fanservice off the top of my head, but these people always land on the worse examples and go, "yep, this is anime alright."

Status
Not open for further replies.