• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Eh I enjoyed it when it aired and I still enjoy it now despite its problems. I'm definitely not the target audience (gay) so the sexualized stuff either bored me or made me uncomfortable depending on which scene it was. My friends (also gay) we're watching it at the same time as me and most of the enjoyment for us came from the excellent animation and absolutely dumb humor. I won't deny there are a ton of problems with it but I can still at least pull enjoyment from the show while recognizing these issues.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really don't understand the clowns here thinking the "It's deconstruction" is STILL a valid excuse.

Just admit that you wanted to watch sexualized minors already.

Who are you honestly trying to fool trying to claim that it's satire?

The anime very much feels like a "having its cake and eating it too" type 'parody'.

So it's Xenoblade Chronices 2! lol

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched KLK since it was first coming out in 2014. I have no idea how I'd feel about it six years later.

Even back then though I knew nobody should start out with anime anime by investigating KLK. It's specifically for people who can appreciate its lamp-shading of tropey bullshit. Today I probably wouldn't recommend it to most people period unless they could somehow ignore its cringey nudity and just appreciate the good animation and art direction.

I guess we were just all (or most) in a particular headspace back then.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I get why people don't enjoy it and it's definitely not for everyone, but I wasn't bothered by the fanservice in KLK because it was so absurd and over the top that it almost felt like self-parody at a certain point.
Yep. For whatever reason it is so much more palatable to me when a show like KLK is unambiguously blatant than it is when an otherwise serious show decides to dip into fanservice that ultimately just distracts from the experience.

KLK could've done without the mother-daughter rape. I enjoyed it otherwise. Mako was funny.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes, everyone who liked the series liked it only because of the anime tits, and only because of that. Even the gay men, as the post above yours.

Everyone is a horrible person except you.

Way to be obtuse, clown. I CLEARLY said that the people trying to using "satire" were the ones who were perverted. Not the people who actually knows it's a problem.

But please continue stanning for an anime titty show.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I liked it somewhat when I watched it , but I forgot pretty much everything that happens in Kill la Kill , the only thing I hated was the over sexual costumes for Ryuko and Satsuki , should have left them with their normal form.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I tried watching it too. Couldn't even finish the first episode. It was so bad.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's also just not a good story. I can brush aside a lot of stuff if it's entertaining or interesting, but I just found the whole thing Zzz.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was a silly show with cool art and soundtrack. I thought the fan service was cringy as fuck most of the time and not my sort of thing, not at my age anyway lol.

However I will never understand though why no one ever brings up the violence in these shows but get hung up on the sexual stuff. It's just interesting how you have high school kids stabbing, shooting, beheading each other and we don't think twice. We're desensitized as fuck when it comes to violence.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kill La Kill isn't satire and it sure as hell ain't deconstruction. It uses codified anime tropes and hangs lampshades over them, which is a markedly different thing. At best you can make the case that it's parody (much like Imaishi's previous work, Panty & Stocking), given that the show's "themes" - should you choose to extract anything from them - are enforced by the usage of common tropes rather than criticized via them.

I'd sooner believe people who use "satire" as a term are misappropriating their perceived sense of substance though.

Oct 29, 2017
Wow. The people here defending sexualization of underage looking characters is fucking gross. Yall should all be permanently banned, wtf.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Excusing the Sexualization of Minors
I have this show on queue and I've watched a bit. I don't mind fanservice heavy content as a lot of my favorite anime/manga have fanservice throughout or at some point.

Jul 3, 2019
It's just big loud dumb fun, like the entire arc to the story and pacing is just a thrill ride. The fluidity to the animation and the entire soundtrack are top notch.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you like the animation, bombast, and creativity but don't want the pretty much indefensible fanservice, check out Promare.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
I've always found kill la kill and guren lagan to be trash tier anime. Never understand what all the fuss was about

OP
OP
DFG

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's wild is that she did it multiple times, and the first time she straight orgasmed
tenor.gif

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah its trash and for the same sort of people that think garbage like 7 Deadly Sins is amazing..

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I've always found kill la kill and guren lagan to be trash tier anime. Never understand what all the fuss was about

I always understood the appeal of TTGL to be "What if Superman were Mad Max, and he piloted a robot". I tend to think of it as better than KLK but that's also because I forget Yoko because she wasn't a particularly plot-relevant character.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
At least it lead to better things for Trigger like Promare, SSSS. Gridman, and Space Patrol Luluco.

Forget Darling in the Franxx and Ninja Slayer ever happened.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I'm a degenerate, so I guess I could look passed the sexual shit. I enjoyed it overall, got some good hype moments. Has some issues with uneven pacing, and a rushed ending, but it's got some great artwork and memorable character designs. The plot was also pretty stupid, but I think it got to the point where it just got so ridiculous I just stopped caring and just wanted to see how crazy it got.

At least it lead to better things for Trigger like Promare, SSSS. Gridman, and Space Patrol Luluco.

Forget Darling in the Franxx and Ninja Slayer ever happened.
Don't forget Inferno Cop

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kill la Kill is a send up of the kind of insipid fanservice that pervades most otaku-bait anime by dialing it way the hell up to 11 (and beyond) and being pretty equal opportunity about it, all things considered, to the point that it completely desensitizes the whole thing.

Like go watch a show like Val × Love (or don't, I seriously wouldn't recommend it, I only know it because it was on TV when I was in Japan and hoo boy!) and then compare that to Kill la Kill, and it's pretty clear they're going for very different things despite both being overtly sexual in nature.

im watching Val x love with my girlfriend and it's pretty decent for a fan service anime

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I rather enjoyed KLK, it took a minute to grow on me but after the second rewatch I really started to connect with what it was trying to do/say.

It's no Gurren Lagann but it came close to capturing that Ginax spark.

Oct 26, 2017
I liked Kill La Kill and I recognize that it has problems. As someone said, it really is an anime that wants to have its cake and eat it.
The show is so wacky and over-the-top while having some unpleasant tropes and moments that didn't really add anything.

I think if I rewatched it (only seen it twice in sub and dub) my opinion might change,

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
It's got its merits I guess. I watched it forever ago so I kinda forget. But any mention of it being a "deconstruction" is ridiculous. Even if that was their intention (it probably wasn't) the end result is yet another show about scantily clad highschool girls. This show is for people who either like that stuff or have desensitized themselves to it. If you do not fall into those camps then this is yet another anime in a long long list of anime that does uncool anime shit.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

here's a video i enjoyed discussing the anime

the description is as follows: "Yes, KILL la KILL is a dumb and horny action anime about skimpy battle uniforms. But it's also an amazingly relevant coming-of-age tale, and its message changed my life. Let's go naked."

it is possible for a piece of media to both present a message that resonates with people and also still have flaws
This is a good video, and puts to words a lot of what I really liked about the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.