• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
H2x1_NSwitch_KillLaKillIf_image1600w.jpg

mighty-man.png

Currently sitting at an 85/100 on OpenCritic, Metacritic should update soon too. Seems it's actually good. Demo is available on PSN if you want to try it out. Switch demo comes out on July 22.

TheSixthAxis - 9/10
Kill La Kill -IF- may just be the perfect anime video game. It almost flawlessly manages to embrace the style and energy of the original anime, and translate that into an enthralling arena fighter that is just as much fun solo as it is competitively. The art is incredible, the music is astounding, and the story mode goes above and beyond to deliver a fresh narrative that fans of the anime will eat up. Whether you're a Kill La Kill megafan or just a fighting game enthusiast, this is a must play.

God is a Geek - 8.5/10
Kill la Kill The Game: IF managed to exceed my expectations in almost every way delivering a fantastic experience for Kill la Kill fans like myself who have been waiting a long time for a game.

Digitally Downloaded - 4/5
Kill la Kill is an anime licensed tie-in fighter done well, and given how frequently these turn out to be terrible that in itself is a relief. It's fast, it's furious, it's explicit and fanservicey, and it is outright hilarious in its satire. The developers have nailed every element of Kill la Kill that needed to be done right, and I can't imagine fans wanting anything more from this particular game.

Cerealkillerz - 8.1/10
Kill La Kill -IF- gets the important things for the fans of the anime right with an amazing performance. With the original cutscenes, characters, animations and the soundtrack combined with the expertise of the Dragonball FighterZ developers waits probably one of the best videogame adaptions of an anime so far, if you can live with some lack of content and technical setbacks during the story mode.

Switch vs PS4 graphics comparison courtesy of Direct-Feed Games. Awesome that the Switch is holding its own against the PS4 graphically so I'll probably pick it up on there despite the frame rate being halved.

Last edited:

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just can't understand the timing of this game in comparison with the Anime release date

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Those scores flabbergast me. I expected this to bomb critically. Now I'm interested, having enjoyed the anime.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Interesting. Will of course wait for more, but seeing that pre-release footage had me filled with dread.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
These numbers are unexpected. Now I may have to check it out. Played like 5 minutes of it at Reflect FG tournament and it seemed kind of wack but that's not really enough time to make an informed decision.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Been playing it for a while on Switch.

I compared the Switch to the PS4 version, for those curious how the game performs on Switch.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I will definitely wait for some more scores to come in. If it keeps anywhere near that level of score I'll pick it up because I expected this game to be awful, and I say that as a huge KLK fan.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Retro! won

Not surprised that Kill la Kill, a good anime, got a good video game. That's what happens when you have a passion project at work instead of the Bamco classic

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like that we're so conditioned to mediocre anime games that this getting good reviews is shocking to us.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
I need to check out the demo. I'm expecting that number to drop a bit as more reviews roll in.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Good in what way?

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm "Mindless, but it's really pretty to look at and the cutscenes are cool" kind of way?

or

"Genuinely good fighting game with some depth" kind of way?

I honestly expected this to be mediocre.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Neat. I liked the demo and am currently rewatching the anime.
Not necessarily a day one purchase for me but we'll see. Maybe if the MUA3 reviews aren't great I'll prioritize this over it.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Told y'all over the past year in some small threads it was good.

Even the alpha at EVO last year was fun. Really need to check out more Switch reviews on performance.

Thats way better than I was expecting for an A Plus game

This game had much better supervision and direction compared to the LWA game. It can make a difference!

Elma4Smash

Banned
Jul 15, 2019
Sucks that I couldn't get into the anime. Tried it 2 times with a couple years between. Something about the presentation makes me angry and hate the show.

I'm just further disappointed by the inconsistency of Sony's censorship push. This game checks all the boxes. Sony probably didn't want to risk the outrage that it would have caused for the semi-big franchise. After all, if you start censoring Kill la Kill, you might as well cancel it :D

It's made by a studio known for only making D-tier or terrible games, like the Little Witch Academia game.

The LWA game isn't that bad.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Wait, when does this come out? Was planning on getting but was not expecting reviews to be this high for a tie-in game.

Has there been any mention of Sony censoring anything in the game? I'm Looking to grab it on PC anyways, regardless, but I'm curious it they'll try and pull something.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pre-ordered physical copies for Switch and PS4 from Pommy Land because Spider Island wasn't deemed worthy.

tumblr_inline_n04sq9akRI1s2a9fg.gif

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
I just can't understand the timing of this game in comparison with the Anime release date

Same. They've also been reairing the anime in a prime time slot in Japan, as well as a home video rerelease and OST rerelease. Featuring new art. It isn't even a special anniversary. In October, it's been 6 years since the first episode aired. I feel like a new project might be coming. It just feels weird to me that all this is happening in 2019.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Whoa, what the fuck? This is actually legit good? I might actually have to look into this now if I have the cash.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
its 4 reviews, i think it will end at 79 or something

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Wait, when does this come out? Was planning on getting but was not expecting reviews to be this high for a tie-in game.

Has there been any mention of Sony censoring anything in the game? I'm Looking to grab it on PC anyways, regardless, but I'm curious it they'll try and pull something.
Next Friday. Surprised reviews came out this early.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, this game always looked rather bad. I'd be very surprised if it turned out to actually be a competent arena fighter.