• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched it. Neither came away from it looking slimy. What a weird assessment. Kraft giving the league talking points about the game being safe was fucked up though.

I was surprised at all the other shootings outside of the murders. Dude was human garbage.

*doctor shows how bashed up his brain was*

kraft: if you want your boy to be special have them play football. It's super safe!

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lol Episode 3 starting at 04:00 is all about how the Pats are trash tier. Not reporting the the NFL that Hernandez asked to be traded because he feared for his life. Hiding him in a secret appartement... But nah.. They obviously handled it all right... They didn't give shots of banned shit to make him play each week because his body was falling appart... Junior obviously never played for the Pats... Before shooting himself in the chest so that his brain can be preserved for CTE research...

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Lol Episode 3 starting at 04:00 is all about how the Pats are trash tier. Not reporting the the NFL that Hernandez asked to be traded because he feared for his life. Hiding him in a secret appartement... But nah.. They obviously handled it all right... They didn't give shots of banned shit to make him play each week because his body was falling appart... Junior obviously never played for the Pats... Before shooting himself in the chest so that his brain can be preserved for CTE research...
Yeah they totally should have traded a guy to a competitor they just gave 50 million to. Name one team that would do that. The Pats hate is hilarious.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Yeah they totally should have traded a guy to a competitor they just gave 50 million to. Name one team that would do that. The Pats hate is hilarious.

Ehh Kraft and Belli definitely put the business over the players. I'm not saying they're unique, they just have the publicity. They even did it with Peterson this year.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Not even the blinding power of Tebow Christ could help this guy.

I felt horrible for the Lloyd family the whole time.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really well done documentary.

Very sad for the Lloyd family. I'm really curious as to know what the hell happened between them.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed this, though it was a tough watch. I remember most of the story, though the phone calls were a revelation and heartbreaking to listen to.

I think it had some flaws though, namely how it throws a bunch of individual threads out there and doesn't come to any real conclusion about them: CTE, the death of his father, being closeted in the NFL of all places. I'm not sure how you'd resolve that, to be fair.

Not having the Pats' participation in this really limited it too, IMO.

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I'm not sure that I've heard about this case before, which surprised me since the case is quite recent and I've been following things on forums for a lot of years.

Or I just read about in the context of american football and tuned it out.

Anyway, I thought it was a really well done documentary.

The strength of Odin Lloyd's mother, Ursula Ward, was amazing to watch.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
So not wanting to trade him means its ok that they did nothing?

In sports, players asking to be traded is pretty common. It's unheard of that a team immediately trades a player on request, they usually try to negotiate with the agent for a year+, and only trade them as a last resort if their play on the field suffers or if they're bringing down the rest of the team. When a player requests a trade, it plummets their trade value to other teams and because Hernandez was in the 1st year of a huge contract, the Patriots would have had to eat most of that contract. Most teams and agents assume that a trade request is about playing time, more money, a better fit in the playing scheme, etc......... not about a secretive double-life the player is involved in.

Also as the documentary says, Hernandez had a firewall between his criminal personal life and his life in the NFL, where players, coaches, and owners thought he was an example of how the NFL can rescue a troubled player from a situation like this. For Hernandez, it was the opposite. The area of complicity between the Patriots and Hernandez was with his "Weed house" the secretive apartment that they got him where he smoked weed all day... which, sure, that's a bad look, but the team being complicit in a player smoking weed is far from involvement in murder, especially in Massachusetts where marijuana use is not as stigmatized as much as other places in the country.

Beyond that, though, it's not like trading him would have cut off communication to some of the people he was involved with. One of the attempted murders was in Florida with the alleged witness of the double-homicide outside the Boston nightclub. Trouble followed where ever Hernandez went, in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Florida. Maybe the timing of some murder or the victims would change if Hernandez was playing in Cleveland, Phoenix, Detroit, or some other organization where the Patriots often trade players to... but it's unlikely that it would change anything else, in the off season he was still hanging around all of these people, his permanent home would have likely still been just outside Foxborough near Bristol CT, he would have had a lot of the same connections, going to the same types of clubs, he still would have had CTE. But instead of a strip club in Providence or Miami, it'd be a strip club in Phoenix and Miami.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
In sports, players asking to be traded is pretty common. It's unheard of that a team immediately trades a player on request, they usually try to negotiate with the agent for a year+, and only trade them as a last resort if their play on the field suffers or if they're bringing down the rest of the team. When a player requests a trade, it plummets their trade value to other teams and because Hernandez was in the 1st year of a huge contract, the Patriots would have had to eat most of that contract. Most teams and agents assume that a trade request is about playing time, more money, a better fit in the playing scheme, etc......... not about a secretive double-life the player is involved in.

Also as the documentary says, Hernandez had a firewall between his criminal personal life and his life in the NFL, where players, coaches, and owners thought he was an example of how the NFL can rescue a troubled player from a situation like this. For Hernandez, it was the opposite. The area of complicity between the Patriots and Hernandez was with his "Weed house" the secretive apartment that they got him where he smoked weed all day... which, sure, that's a bad look, but the team being complicit in a player smoking weed is far from involvement in murder, especially in Massachusetts where marijuana use is not as stigmatized as much as other places in the country.

Beyond that, though, it's not like trading him would have cut off communication to some of the people he was involved with. One of the attempted murders was in Florida with the alleged witness of the double-homicide outside the Boston nightclub. Troubled followed where Hernandez went, in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Florida.

I don't think a player losing trading value is much of a defense for a team doing nothing when a player tells them he fears for his life. You keep making it about why they wouldn't want to trade but they didn't have to trade him. They could have informed the league and let them figure out.

It doesn't have to be about whether you could have prevent Hernandez from killing anyone. They should have been concerned that Hernandez may have been in danger.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing some confusion here about the prison letters. The doc claims there were
3, one to Shay, one to his daughter and one to Jose Baez but elsewhere on the internet they're saying the third one was to Kyle Kennedy (his prison lover).

There's still so much fud surrounding this. And then there's this Michele McPhee reporter. Something about her just bothers me:https://www.newsweek.com/i-didnt-ou...-why-are-his-fans-threatening-kill-me-1483960

Oct 30, 2017
One of my coworkers showed me a FB post that showed his alleged HS lover wasn't a QB. He was a RB, and doesn't mesh with his HS football credentials. Not to say I believe the FB post, but has anyone heard of this?

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
One of my coworkers showed me a FB post that showed his alleged HS lover wasn't a QB. He was a RB, and doesn't mesh with his HS football credentials. Not to say I believe the FB post, but has anyone heard of this?
I dont know but that guy did not seem credible in the least bit and it annoyed me they gave him so much time. I posted about it on the first page. That said there seems to be other evidence that he was indeed gay.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They sort of leave the million dollar question of why he killed Lloyd unanswered, but it left me wondering if there even was a real reason. The dude had CTE (which can cause paranoia) and was smoking sherm (which can cause paranoia). I wonder if it's highly possible he convinced himself that Lloyd had done something to him, or was out to get him.

I don't recall the documentary getting into it but I read after the fact Odin called him a "smoocher" which is apparently Boston area slang for gay and Aaron was paranoid he would tell his fiancé. It's not 100% definite but this is the motive prosecutors wanted to go for but couldn't because they didn't have all the pieces.

The documentary shows how they backed off that.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I dont know but that guy did not seem credible in the least bit and it annoyed me they gave him so much time. I posted about it on the first page. That said there seems to be other evidence that he was indeed gay.
His father annoyed the fuck out of me. Seemed like a badly written character from The Sopranos.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't recall the documentary getting into it but I read after the fact Odin called him a "smoocher" which is apparently Boston area slang for gay and Aaron was paranoid he would tell his fiancé. It's not 100% definite but this is the motive prosecutors wanted to go for but couldn't because they didn't have all the pieces.

The documentary shows how they backed off that.

Picking up on that, Boston-area sports bloggers widely thought that was the motive in the years after the murders took place. But... the quality of Boston area sports bloggers is ... not really reputable.

I'm seeing some confusion here about the prison letters. The doc claims there were
3, one to Shay, one to his daughter and one to Jose Baez but elsewhere on the internet they're saying the third one was to Kyle Kennedy (his prison lover).

There's still so much fud surrounding this. And then there's this Michele McPhee reporter. Something about her just bothers me:https://www.newsweek.com/i-didnt-ou...-why-are-his-fans-threatening-kill-me-1483960

Michele McPhee is like trash-tier former Boston Herald reporter who also had a townie radio show on a conservative talk news station. 96.9, before it went out of business. She's like the Nancy Grace of the Boston police beat. But, she's right she never outed Aaron Hernandez, the rumors were all over the internet during his trial as possible motive. In the aftermath of his death by suicide, it was originally reported that he wrote one letter to his lover in prison, but I don't know if that ever shook out. His family vehemently denied rumors that he was gay, which shouldn't surprise anyone... that'd be a difficult thing for his fiance and mother of his children to accept hearing them 2nd or 3rd hand.

Last edited:

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Picking up on that, Boston-area sports bloggers widely thought that was the motive in the years after the murders took place. But... the quality of Boston area sports bloggers is ... not really reputable.

Michele McPhee is like trash-tier former Boston Herald reporter who also had a townie radio show on a conservative talk news station. 96.9, before it went out of business. She's like the Nancy Grace of the Boston police beat. But, she's right she never outed Aaron Hernandez, the rumors were all over the internet during his trial as possible motive. In the aftermath of his death by suicide, it was originally reported that he wrote one letter to his lover in prison, but I don't know if that ever shook out. His family vehemently denied rumors that he was gay, which shouldn't surprise anyone... that'd be a difficult thing for his fiance and mother of his children to accept hearing them 2nd or 3rd hand.

Yeah, McPhee strikes me as a not so good person, even if she didn't out him. In that article I linked, she got dates and facts mixed up it seems, and was also plugging her books. Classy.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

They literally show all 3 letters in the documentary. The internet is wrong. A 4th letter would have been made public / leaked by now.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They literally show all 3 letters in the documentary. The internet is wrong. A 4th letter would have been made public / leaked by now.

no. The implication is that Jose Baez is lying about the third letter. Michele McPhee, if she can be believed, is contending it was to this other guy.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
no. The implication is that Jose Baez is lying about the third letter. Michele McPhee, if she can be believed, is contending it was to this other guy.

...and the implication is wrong. We're years removed from his death. I find it extremely difficult to find a scenario where a secret letter has existed for years with...Michelle McPhee and "the internet" being the people who "know the truth".

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...and the implication is wrong. We're years removed from his death. I find it extremely difficult to find a scenario where a secret letter has existed for years with...Michelle McPhee and "the internet" being the people who "know the truth".

Tough to say. Baez is a known liar and McPhee, although a piece of shit, would have sources in law enforcement and corrections.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Tough to say. Baez is a known liar and McPhee, although a piece of shit, would have sources in law enforcement and corrections.

Is it tough to say? I mean, is it really possible that she has "connections in law enforcement" who have seen the mysterious "letter"...but never took photos or documented it? You don't think some Joe Schmoe at a correctional facility wouldn't take that letter, and then leak it to the press for money?

Literally nothing about the idea of this letter makes any sense at all. Everything about it requires me to suspend my disbelief in a lot of key areas.