• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Now, listen to me before you light the torch for my lukewarm take. I am extremely right about this.

Killer7 was made to scale up with HD technology, this is the way it works, it's written in the bible. Pop this little guy in an emulator, activate the widescreen hack, crank it up to 4K, even sprinkle some SSAA if you so wish and see the results.

ergdfsiysml.png

WOAH ! It looks even better than that because I couldn't prevent the screen being compressed. But you can enjoy even better screens taken by me, albeit in 1080p this time

gk7e08-29g6sdz.png

gk7e08-28f1s4l.png
gk7e08-371tsc9.png

Naturally you are already amazed at the quality of the game even in the year of our lord 2018. But keep in mind the original looks like this ! It's still sexual, but it can be much better !

kil7gc118q9stj.jpg

It would also add various QoL features like an inverted camera, an updated control scheme. A refreshed UI and also speed up the loading time when changing areas and changing characters.

But let's stop with the big guns for a second, this game still is beautiful, but the best thing is that it still holds up. In fact, Killer7 would be even better today than it would be 13 years ago. It's a fact. Look up the bible, it's there.

Killer7 is absurdity made playable that thrives even more in the context of our world. And let me tell you, folks, this world is more absurd than it was during its release. Killer7 is political as fuck. It doesn't care about your opinion, it doesn't even care about its own opinion. It's just there, you can laugh it off, you can say "haha this is very funny, what a prankster this suda51 fellow is, a crazy japanese man haha", but it will never leave this game.

This is the thing with avant-garde games, there comes a moment where it stops pushing the boundaries of what can be done and becomes a part of the language that we use to talk about games. We cannot look at Killer7 and says it's just a funny game with funny ideas, we can now see it for the highly-political and opinionated work of Goichi Suda (The Silver Case, No More Heroes) and Shinji Mikami (Resident Evil) when it comes to world politics and specifically the role of the US and its relation with Japan. Today the discourse can less be about "haha funny japanese men doing funny things" and more about "I CANNOT HOLD THESE TRUTH BOMBS, I NEED A DOCTOR"

And even then, it's just a fucking good game. It's fun, it's clever. You roam the environment to solve puzzles and kill enemies like in a classic Resident Evil. It's like taking the best elements of what made the games of the brilliant minds of Suda and Mikami and apply them to a game that doesn't even care about you. It just cares about what it is. Who the fuck are you ? No one. Killer7, though, is immortal. It's waiting for a person who is singing nonsense in the shower for 15 hours and come out of the bathroom as if it's natural to them. You don't play Killer7, it plays you. You think Killer7 is kidding ? It's an art house game released for the mass market, that's how much fucks it gives about this world.

PLAY KILLER7

But before that, would you like to join me in a game of russian roulette ?

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
You've convinced me OP. Those screenshots look great.

I was probably too young to understand this game when it was on the Gamecube, but would love to play it again now.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope they add more collectibles if there is a remaster.

This and Viewitiful Joe should be remastered.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I always thought this game would've been amazing on Wii because the controls were my only complaint. It's one of my most favorite games ever and I really want a modern way to play it.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Nobody would buy it, which would be disappointing, but I agree it'd be great to have a remaster of some sort.

Some of the story beats the game hit were downright.....fucked is really the only way to think about it. I'll never forget the entirety of the Almeida sequence or the moment where Curtis hands a girls head to her father.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
No one's caping for a Killer7 remaster but forum posters

At the same time Killer7 is a better game than something like , idk, God Hand, so I'd rather have it remastered than fucking God Hand

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
This is a fantastic post.

Killer 7 is so fucking rad. Maybe even my favorite game of the generation. Definitely Suda's best work.

Needs a rerelease bad. I feel like games have branched out in diversity a ton since it's initial release so there's a chance it would actually get the appreciation it deserves.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And do away with cel shading and add textures to all these flat textureless walls. Suda51 would've made this game photorealistic but he was limited by the technology. This graphical style is not intentional!
It may have not been intentional but changing it would 100% ruin the game for me and a lot of people. The cel shading is one of the defining features of the game.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
"It would also add various QoL features like an inverted camera, an updated control scheme."

With Suda 51 at the helm, he's likely to make Nintendo Labo/Kinect/PS Camera a mandatory accessory to control player movement before he changes anything like that on Killer7.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
"It would also add various QoL features like an inverted camera, an updated control scheme."

With Suda 51 at the helm, he's likely to make Nintendo Labo/Kinect/PS Camera a mandatory accessory to control player movement before he changes anything like that on Killer7.

I'll buy Labo if it means I can play K7 on current gen.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, OP. Now I need to play this game again.
I have it on GC and Ps2 but everyone should play it on the GC. It's the best version.

Jigu

Oct 25, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, BR
killer7 is so avant-garde that its interface would be a great fit for the Wii back in the day.

Well, that and the Lynch-via-Tarantino plot. I'd kill for a remaster.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I agree it'd be a great choice for a remaster, but "only one that makes sense" is pushing it (especially with some other games I can think of that kind of desperately need a remaster as they could highly benefit even from simply a resolution and frame rate bump from some native system they're locked on of generations past).

Though if there's anything I desperately want from Suda51's repertoire, I fucking REALLY want the Twilight Syndrome series to have an English translation or be remade like the Silver Case games currently are having happen to them. I really want to play these games someday.

Oct 27, 2017
Moving along, there was a lot of cut content from this game, that would be neat if a remaster could somehow salvage it. The Hand In Killer 7 book says the story is about 25% complete in the game and a big part of why it actually doesn't make much sense, outside of just being surreal.

But our good friends at Capcom own this one so it may be locked up forever.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Only if they added subtitles. I had to look up cutscene transcriptions online because I couldn't understand what they're saying most of the time.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
OP's hyperbole aside, I would really like to see this come back with updated controls. The year Killer7 was released I still remember juggling this, ICO, and Shadow of the Colossus.

And from that day on I never had any fun again...

N051DE

Oct 27, 2017
SEATTLE
It would makes sense to me but I don't think we have enough people to ever make them entertain the idea of bringing this back.

Caderfix

Nov 7, 2017
It's a bad game though. Like, really bad... I don't see it working as a remaster, it'd have to be a remake due to gameplay.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
No one's caping for a Killer7 remaster but forum posters

At the same time Killer7 is a better game than something like , idk, God Hand, so I'd rather have it remastered than fucking God Hand

Woah woah woah God Hand is fantastic.

They're very different games. Killer7 is heavify focused on atmosphere, narrative, and puzzle solving while God Hand is 100% about the action and gameplay mechanics to the point that it phones in almost every superficial aspect of the game.

Killer7 kicks ass though, and I'd love a port to modern hardware.

Still got both God Hand and Killer7 on my dvd rack in my living room.

Deleted member 12555

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game's unique sense of style validates its existence, however weird its gameplay may be.

I would love to have this updated and on modern platforms and this would probably sell acceptably on the switch because it's... well, the switch, but I don't see it happening.

Not sure I could put up with Blackburn's sick shit again, though!

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Just give me every single thing Mikami, Kamiya and Suda have ever done in 1080p 60fps and I'll buy every single one.

Killer 7, Viewtiful Joe, God Hand, Michigan, heck even their PS3 games.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think saying this is the only games that "makes sense" to have it is quite an arrogant claim, there're much better games that deserve one and also games with similar art styles that would look just as good upscaled.

Oct 27, 2017
Just give me every single thing Mikami, Kamiya and Suda have ever done in 1080p 60fps and I'll buy every single one.

Killer 7, Viewtiful Joe, God Hand, Michigan, heck even their PS3 games.

I need Michigan redubbed/retranslated

I can appreciate "so bad its good" but in this case it ruined the experience completely for me.

definedMF

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto Canada
Mikami actually had very little involvement. It was 100% written by Suda. Mikami just kept Capcom off his back.
Mikami also helped push EA off his back for Shadows of the Damned. It apparently still had a drastic change in place but wasn't fully changed due to Mikami backing Suda.

If it wasn't for Mikami, Suda wouldn't be able to reign freely. Exactly why I love Suda's games, especially Killer 7 and Shadows of the Damned due to his absurdist yet intelligent comedy and commentary on all things political, etc.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Capcom is running out of shit to port at this point.
They definitely need to look at their cult classics and give them a second chance. Even if they're digital only.
Killer 7 and Asur'as Wrath being the obvious choices.