• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you a potential psychopath?

• Poochie gotta go

Votes: 261 15.0%
  • Save the doggos

Votes: 399 22.9%
  • it ain't that serious fam, they are only pixels

Votes: 1,245 71.5%

• Total voters

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
We're talking normal, not infected or any other fluff animals. As an example, dogs are an enemy type in Part 2 and you'll have the option to kill them, I Imagine it might even be necessary at certain points, but these are just your normal doggos so it raises a moral dilemma for some. How will you feel about putting an arrow in poor Archie's head?

giphy.gif

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It depends, if the animal attacks be damn sure I'll destroy it. If it doesn't then I'll leave it alone.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Animals are fine... but cute, pretty, innocent, symbol-of-all-things-pure-and-easily-generalized-into-one-incorrigible-entity ones? OHO. HOHOHOHO. HAHAHAHA.

(I'm fine wid'it in general terms myself, but like with anybody, make them feel overtly abused and it's going to be a sucker punch...

In a game like TLOUPII -- and unfortunately for some -- the inspiration for this topic, that is very much the point!

And, taken as a whole... it is a little sour and miserable in a way. The game is an exercise in indulgently photorealistic action-violence. As Ebert himself sorta-worded it. But so was the first. Let's just hope there's a story told with as much gusto and attentiveness to the humanity behind the manslaughter.)

Last edited:

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Besides a condescending "tis only pixels bro" or a whataboutism about the hordes of people you mow down, I'd say a feral animal attacking me, real of virtual, really has it coming.
Unprovoked killing of anything (including hunting) isn't something I enjoy.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The same way killing humans makes me feel. No different at all.

They are pixels.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
RDR 2 is the first game that felt like it portrayed animals getitng wounded in a very realistic way. It made me try a lot harder during hunting to make sure I get a clean shot.

I don't really mind killing them anyway, but most other games don't really go out their way to portray violence in a way that there could be an emotional response, since its so gamey.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2 isn't the first game where you can kill dogs, hell, there are many games where you can kill all kinds of animals like Far Cry, why is this such an issue now?
I don't like doing it even if it's a game but it's not like you're supposed to feel good about it. Just stealth the parts that have dogs.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
The same way killing humans makes me feel.

They are a digital creation if you cannot make a distinction from reality you should worry.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Animal lives are less important than human lives, and video game characters aren't even alive in the first place, so next to nothing?

Unless there's some narrative emotional buildup. But I don't think that's what this thread is about.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I love doggos but I have no problem with it if they're proven assholes who will eat my character alive.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I kill them when they're hostile. When they're not and when the option is there, I pet them. Because of immersion reasons.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I think all of the TLOU2 replies going 'oh heavens I hope I won't have to harm any dogs in the game' were really fucking stupid. But whatever.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I only really dislike the sound animals make when they get hurt or die. Otherwise, it's all a game.

Edify

Oct 28, 2017
Did I miss something in the OP because I don't know what "Part 2" is referring to.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
TLOU2 isn't the first game where you can kill dogs, hell, there are many games where you can kill all kinds of animals like Far Cry, why is this such an issue now?
I don't like doing it even if it's a game but it's not like you're supposed to feel good about it. Just stealth the parts that have dogs.

because TLOU 2 portrays it a lot differently. Way more grounded. Its clear that TLOU 2 is going for ultra realistic violence. It's not just the dogs, its the humans too, but the dogs got a lot of focus in the last preview.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
We're talking normal, not infected or any other fluff animals. As an example, dogs are an enemy type in Part 2 and you'll have the option to kill them

I know what you're referring to, but you might want to clarify what game you're talking about here.

Personally, I really hate hurting domestic animals in games, unless they're super hostile.
When I played RDR for the first time, I fired at my horse because I was sure it would be invincible. Turns out it wasn't and I felt super bad about it, haha.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If it's a game that lets me, then they're on the "avoid harming" list. I also tend to avoid hurting/killing people if the game allows it. Completing Fallout: New Vegas, the Deus Ex games, or MGS without killing anyone is always a fun challenge.

Most games it's just another enemy type though, so it's kind of whatever.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It's just a game. I don't feel bad about killing humans in a game, I don't feel bad about killing animals in a game.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Normally, I don't care. However, all I did was watch a couple of videos of monster hunter, and that did make me feel bad.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've already written about how I feel increasingly alienated by realistic depictions of violence against humans and the same goes for animals, perhaps even more so. It's not that I can't discern digital animals from real animals but I'm finding it more and more difficult to deal with these things. There's something repugnant to me about wanting to emulate this kind of violence and putting the player in situations where they have to inflict pain onto animals. It adds nothing to my experience.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It quenches my thirst for death and destruction. The more I kill the better I feel.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Moral dilemma? What?! It's a game, it's not real, y'know. And it's trying to kill you in the game.
In real life though, I would never hurt an animal, unless it's trying to kill me.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I don't like it at all, but I will do it if the game demands it. Just like in real life I would never hurt a dog, unless I was defending from their attack and my life depended on it.

It's part of the immersion. I hated the scene where they kill dogs in HBO's Chernobyl, but I still think it was a good scene to convey the atmosphere.

So, I'm kind of glad the game will make me uneasy because the game is about that. But will I feel bad? Yes. Even if it's just pixels.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
I only feel bad if they're non-aggressive/only get aggressive once you attack them.
It makes me feel bad when I have to repeatedly kill them for loot like the Mosswine in MHW

Kokoro

Jan 23, 2019
France
Depends on the context. If the animals are agressive or I need to kill them for a quest or an upgrade I will kill them without thinking about it. But I never kill them without a reason. And it's the same for humans or any enemy.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Depends on the in game context and realism. In general I do not like violence towards animals of any kind, but I have no issues shooting zombie dogs in Resident Evil, or kill wolves in The Witcher 3. If the animals are aggressive towards the player character then I usually don't think twice about it.

I think Red Dead Redemption 2 made killing a deer feel all too real, I did not enjoy that at all.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I don't like when the violence gets too realistic and from what I've seen of TLoU P2 I would hate killing both humans and dogs. Not gonna buy that game.

In games like Beth Fallout or Far Cry, it's no different than killing the human enemies. There is no sense of realism.
I enjoy hunting as a side activity in games and even play actual hunting games like theHunter: CotW, so I have no problem killing "innocent" animals in games I guess, but I could basically just as well be shooting clay pidgeons in a nice environment. There's no real sense of killing an actual animal in those game, even tho CorW feels realistic in many other aspects.

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
I feel nothing and I like most animals. If the game gives me the option I got no problems playing renegade. I'm squeamish when it comes blood and violence in real life but unfazed to most of it in fiction.