• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Any social network makes it, and have a circle of people so much bigger than miiverse.
And this is.integrated to the people.who own a Nintendo system. Which create a bunch of people who have the same ideia, almost the same experiences. Share to people who doesnt know how the game works, how wonderful can be to.encourage to buy the system and the games.
Locked groups is doomed to be stagnant forever, and Nintendo looks like is learning from their own problems.
Being closed off also ment less random garbage and trolling, and made it feel more like a together community (plus buildt in drawing tools encouraged art creation). And once again without it there's a lack of integration like seeing random posts on billboards in Splatoon or messages in a bottle in Wind Waker, that really takes away from that feeling of a console world with many people in it. And they sure as hell aint gonna let Twitter posts show up, since they have no moderation over that, they might make something for that specific game like Splat 2 but then you lose the connection between games and abbility to just browse everything to your discretion.

I mean the problem was that WiiU didnt sell well, if it did the community would grow naturally and with new people joining in there would be little chance of stagnation. Social Media is more than just a marketing tool, Miiverse wasnt here to sell you on the system, its to make you more comfortable in an already existing community.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't see the arguement of "people who were on Miiverse are probably now posting on social media".

The people who use Miiverse and the people who use social media like Twitter or Facebook don't overlap imo. There was a lot of people posting on Miiverse who don't any type of social media. It was two completely different audiences which makes the closure of Miiverse hurt a lot more.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You mean to tell me the share button on the PS4 doesn't upload to Twitter and Facebook? Gee why do I see #PS4Share on my twitter feed all the time then?
There's no need for condescension when your post was so incredibly vague. I thought you were referring to Twitter and FB in contrast to the OP mentioning "Miiverse" when you said "the other two."

And even then, it's not the best excuse to merely say they do it too when the problem lies in the fact that Nintendo had their own service that people enjoyed but is now being discontinued (hence the issue).

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people seem to be down on Miiverse, but I liked how it served as a forum of sorts specifically for Nintendo fans. Like Memoryman stated, Twitter is a variable that you cannot as easily account for. You could post and everyone can see it, or no one can see it. This mostly depends on how much you use Twitter, and if you're like myself and don't use social media all that much, no one is going to see your contribution. At least on Miiverse generally a few people would see your post (if not dozens more).

Yeah using the social media platform makes a lot of sense from a lot of points, but I don't see why Miiverse cannot co-exist with it. Nintendo doesn't even offer groups or easy way to chat with friends or people that play similar games as you as PS4 and Xbox do, so it would be something extra to justify their paid service.
The general quality of Miiverse content swerved wildly between hit or miss. Games like Splatoon that embraced the drawing function benefited the most (and it shows as that function made its way into Splatoon 2). But a lot of game communities on Miiverse were either ghost towns, or overtaken by try-hard memelords that weren't interested in anything more than amateurish shitposting.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the Switch really needs is a messaging system to share screenshots and video between friends.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The general quality of Miiverse content swerved wildly between hit or miss. Games like Splatoon that embraced the drawing function benefited the most (and it shows as that function made its way into Splatoon 2). But a lot of game communities on Miiverse were either ghost towns, or overtaken by try-hard memelords that weren't interested in anything more than amateurish shitposting.
Which was probably a consequence of poor moderation, which could be improved here. And also don't forget that they were probably "ghost towns" because the Wii U wasn't known for its "best sellers" aside from a select few of games. The Switch isn't like that, and its current playerbase already eclipses what the Wii U had well over a year after release and it's still growing. So I don't see that being nearly as much of an issue. And a sequel service on the Switch would almost certainly receive QoL improvements and potentially add more options and other things to make it more appealing.

So those seem like pretty easy fixes to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I get the idea to advertise the Switch on Facebook, but no one on my facebook cares about Nintendo, or my sick sick Mario platforming.

Whereas on Miiverse, they might've...

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I think a rebranded more restrictive version of Miiverse will come back with the paid online.
It will probably be an activity feed that lets you post your videos, screenshots and achievements from supported games.

Miiverse was mostly just a mess and I used it a lot. Yes, it was fine once you are in, but taking upwards of 30s to load on Wii U and 1 minute on 3DS was unacceptable. It's basically a browser and somehow loads slower than the bundled browser in both platforms.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Also going back and looking at Miiverse just now reminds me how easy of an instant and specific Q&A process there was with this service. If you get stuck or lost, take a picture and get almost immediate feedback on it. Definitely something not as easy to replicate on Social Media.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people seem to be down on Miiverse, but I liked how it served as a forum of sorts specifically for Nintendo fans..
Thats pretty much my line of thinking in this as well, but obviously the in game functions make it a bit more involved which is why I liked it so much. Its about this overall sense of community in and out of the game, which made it more unique than how competitors handle social media.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry, I'm sure we'll see a spiritual successor to a social media Nintendo board a la Miiverse, behind the paywall Nintendo Online service

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I get the idea to advertise the Switch on Facebook, but no one on my facebook cares about Nintendo, or my sick sick Mario platforming.

Whereas on Miiverse, they might've...
Exactly. Miiverse wasnt there to sell you the console, its there for you to communicate with people with similar interests who already have it.

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll see a spiritual successor to a social media Nintendo board a la Miiverse, behind the paywall Nintendo Online service
I keep forgetting that they are going to charge money to play games online eventually, dang it :/

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree but I also don't understand why there is no activity feed among friends. It would make complete sense to be able to post pics and videos on a feed, similar to the Xbox, Steam, and to a lesser extent the PS4. I really love looking at friends' pics and videos on my Xbox and how easy it easy to post stuff too.

Of course, right now we don't even have a way to message friends, let alone a Miiverse replacement or an activity feed.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope so. Doesn't seem all that worth it to pay for a service just to play the 4 or 5 big online based games on the system. Especially when by January of next year I'll be burned out on most of them.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I keep forgetting that they are going to charge money to play games online eventually, dang it :/
This sort of irks me because we already know how terrible Miiverse was when it was free. Servers cost money. Their competitors make bank on these online subs, and yet we expect them to give us everything for free.
I'd pay for Miiverse that runs nicely and is snappy. like $20 a year kind of money

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reach of miiverse was limited in scope to Nintendo users, by removing it the future shared content will end up on larger social networks which will actually aid in introducing the content to people outside of the closed ecosystem.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I agree but I also don't understand why there is no activity feed among friends. It would make complete sense to be able to post pics and videos on a feed, similar to the Xbox, Steam, and to a lesser extent the PS4. I really love looking at friends' pics and videos on my Xbox and how easy it easy to post stuff too.

Of course, right now we don't even have a way to message friends, let alone a Miiverse replacement or an activity feed.

Yeah this is something I really miss. An activity feed like Steam on Switch would be great and would entice me to take more screens. As for sharing I'm still fine with Twitter, because my followers there are the people I want to reach in the first place. It's different when you have a non-gaming public, but most of mine are from this community.

I liked Miiverse because you usually got some kind of feedback, but like Dekuman said, after a while I just couldn't handle its sluggishness anymore. It took so long to load. I actually used the desktop link most.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Killing Miiverse (without a replacement) is Nintendo's worst mistake in years. I miss it on Switch. (Streetpass too)

Those two features made the 3DS feel alive.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Any social network makes it, and have a circle of people so much bigger than miiverse.
And this is.integrated to the people.who own a Nintendo system. Which create a bunch of people who have the same ideia, almost the same experiences. Share to people who doesnt know how the game works, how wonderful can be to.encourage to buy the system and the games.
Locked groups is doomed to be stagnant forever, and Nintendo looks like is learning from their own problems.

Twitter will never replace Miiverse. It is far too toxic. I don't understand the comparisons.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The best thing about Miiverse was being able to find communities for any game on the eshop, like posting about or sharing art/screenshots for Final Fight 2.

This is what made it special, and that will be gone.

Edit: sorry, I assumed there would have been more talk on the topic by now. I didn't mean to spam.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately it seems that Nintendo really don't want to be building their own social network anymore. It's annoying because it leaves me without a great place to post stuff.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately it seems that Nintendo really don't want to be building their own social network anymore. It's annoying because it leaves me without a great place to post stuff.

Switch is such a success, the only one that can get in Nuntendo's way is Nintendo at this point. If enough people demanded it, I'd like to think Nintendo would bring back Miiverse in some way, shape, or form.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's Twitter and Facebook. Seems to be doing well on the Twitter front at least.

rpmurphy

Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I mean, it's nice that it's easy to post your screenshots and video clips on Facebook and Twitter. But you cannot interact with anyone after doing that with the Switch. You'd have to go another device to do the "social" part of "social media".

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Miiverse may have been great for kids who didn't have access to other social media but it probably wasn't worth it for Nintendo to maintain. There's a reason Miiverse is gone, and it probably isn't because it was a wildly popular success. In the end it probably wasn't worth the investment and didn't help grow Nintendo's brands.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Miiverse may have been great for kids who didn't have access to other social media but it probably wasn't worth it for Nintendo to maintain. There's a reason Miiverse is gone, and it probably isn't because it was a wildly popular success. In the end it probably wasn't worth the investment and didn't help grow Nintendo's brands.

Leaving helpful tips for games, encouraging others to push forward, and leaving funny or witty commentary on Miiverse shouldn't be under played. Those are the things that made it come to life. I think that's what Iwata wanted the platform to ultimately be. Growing a community of people that enjoy video games, but doing so in an environment that had low tolerance for toxic behavior. There could have been some toxic streaks that ran there course though.

It may not have been popular among users, but if it was marketed well enough that may have changed. We'll never know now though.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they wanted to pay people to moderate it. I loved it, but I believe that's the single reason it's gone.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
They want you to use the "post to social media" function so that you're advertising to people who might not have a Switch yet, vs. Miiverse where it's an echo chamber of people who already own a Switch

As much as I loved the Miiverse, this is just one more area where Nintendo has gotten smarter since the Wii U days.

Oct 25, 2017
If you post on miiverse only people who already own nintendo products will see.

If you post outside of it you are doing free advertising

I totally get and agree with this statement , but if this was the reason Nintendo ditched Miiverse , why did they bother creating it in the first place when social media was there for them to integrate with all along ?

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Arlo said it really well in one of his videos. Miiverse was a bubble. Miiverse was too self contained. What good comes out of Nintendo fans sharing their experiences with other Nintendo fans and no one else? By integrating Facebook and Twitter, people can effectively advertise Nintendo's products to those who don't own them.