• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Hey Era! (First thread nerves!)
So I just had one of the most heart warming moments in my online gaming history and it felt amazing.

I got home from work as usual, fed the cats and then sat down for my usual half hour of Rocket League. I've been playing since launch with 700+ hours clocked in Steam and unfortunately have to agree with many that that player base can be a vile cesspool at times. The season is currently over which means competitive isn't available, meaning any competitive players wanting to play join casual instead.

No sooner than the first 10 seconds in, me and my team mate concede a goal. Then comes the inevitable ping of the quick chat notifications, "YOU ARE GOING TO LOSE"
"I GUARANTEE IT"
"SEE?"

Losing my cool I reactively sent back a poorly thought out response, "Please, don't be an arrogant prick" (I myself am ashamed of being baited).

Anyway, I leave it at that but the text barrage continues, so I crack and try and bring some peace, "It's about having fun dude" I respond.

30 seconds or so pass, the dreaded ping sounds again,
"Yeah, I guess this isn't competitive"
"I just really take this seriously"

I was kinda shocked. In the years I've been playing, absolutely no one seems to want to take responsibility for their actions online.

A couple of emoticons and a
"Great chat"
later, the game's over and we're on the results screen. The other players start to chime in and a conversation starts. This goes on for half an hour or more culminating in my
"Right, I'm off, tea time"
and everyone said their goodbyes.

As I put the controller down I felt this massive warmth wash over me, what was a previously, verging on toxic situation has become a lovely place where four strangers are chatting and laughing despite losing horrifically!

Therefore, moving forward, it's inspired me to try and be the best person I can online whilst also taking responsibility for what I say and do.

What say you ERA?
Do you try and diffuse toxic situations online?
Are you the cause of them?
Has anyone ever tried calming you down online?

*Edit* and I bloody left "Rocket League Tale" from the title.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
In my experience, most people don't change and double down on being an asshole. I don't have the patience anymore to try and change people because they don't want to be changed.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Era! (First thread nerves!)

Honestly, you got nothing to worry about. ^__^ Usually when some post their thoughts, it might either be underdeveloped or so short that people usually skim over it. But I will admit that I did enjoy the read.

Honestly, toxicity does turn me away from playing online since the last thing I need to be talked down on just because someone can't enjoy a game. I can get it if you are playing in a tournament where money is on the line; otherwise, I tend to enjoy the game as best I can. As for times when I do get to chat with others, it does help to send out positive vibes, even if someone is trying to bad mouth you the entire time. I suppose because I work in a public setting I'm kind of used to getting yelled at and really it can be easier to do it either through text or over voice chat than face to face.

Of course, if people want to be jerks, that's on them. Just focus on you doing you. If it was easy to change people for the better, there likely wouldn't be such a thing as Toxicity to begin with.

*Edit* and I bloody left "Rocket League Tale" from the title.

In case you ever need to update the title of your thread, hit report and ask one of the mods if they can change the title for you. Enjoy your day.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
One time someone sent me some hate mail after an Uncharted 3 match a couple days before Christmas. I just responded with, "Hey, thanks buddy, and Merry Christmas to you."

I got back an awkward message that said, "Thanks, and merry Christmas to you too -.-"

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I actually just had this one match where I kept killing the same guy in black ops 4, like I must have gotten him 7 times in a row right after he spawned which is enough to enrage anyone these days. I got a private message from him when the game was over expecting some harsh words and instead I got some punny message about how I can give him a call any time because I clearly have his number.

Cute times.

I usually do the same though when annoyed, just try to turn it into something nice and walk away. Or throw the controller.

OP
OP
basic_text

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Honestly, you got nothing to worry about. ^__^ Usually when some post their thoughts, it might either be underdeveloped or so short that people usually skim over it. But I will admit that I did enjoy the read.

Honestly, toxicity does turn me away from playing online since the last thing I need to be talked down on just because someone can't enjoy a game. I can get it if you are playing in a tournament where money is on the line; otherwise, I tend to enjoy the game as best I can. As for times when I do get to chat with others, it does help to send out positive vibes, even if someone is trying to bad mouth you the entire time. I suppose because I work in a public setting I'm kind of used to getting yelled at and really it can be easier to do it either through text or over voice chat than face to face.

Of course, if people want to be jerks, that's on them. Just focus on you doing you. If it was easy to change people for the better, there likely wouldn't be such a thing as Toxicity to begin with.
Thanks!
That's very true! People that are hardcoded dicks aren't really gonna change. It's those of the fence that I'm after! :)
I have a lot of issues with depression so keeping a positive attitude can be hard a lot of the time. That's why little interactions like this help massively!

If you ever make a title mistake, feel free to report your own post and one of us will fix it for you. :)
Someone else got you this time, though.

Much appreciated, thanks!

Nice avatar. Good album.
Cheers, I love all that old Louisville stuff.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
If you ever make a title mistake, feel free to report your own post and one of us will fix it for you. :)
Someone else got you this time, though.

Thank you Fireworker. ^__^

Thanks!
That's very true! People that are hardcoded dicks aren't really gonna change. It's those of the fence that I'm after! :)
I have a lot of issues with depression so keeping a positive attitude can be hard a lot of the time. That's why little interactions like this help massively!

Yeah... Depression isn't fun, I should know. Still it is best to surround yourself with good people, or at the very least, try and convert some over so that everyone can have a good time.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
It's pretty hard to diffuse things on console, because you're pretty much restricted to quick chat messages.

Usually it's teammates who start shit. If I let a goal in, the worst feeling is both teammates spamming "Wow!" "What a save!"

I usually just hit them back with a Thanks! No problem. For my matchmaking pool, I'm pretty good, and usually end up in the top spot, so I inevitably see a turnaround when I start scoring goals and setting up good passes. Then they'll compliment me.

It's unfortunate, though, that many players will knee-jerk to degrading, insulting messages the first chance they get, even when they're on your team.

It's even more annoying when they quit. Two goals down with over 4 minutes left to play? Just stay put, dude, we can definitely come back (and usually do).

Great story though, OP. I love it when those experiences do flourish.

Oct 27, 2017
In my experience, most people don't change and double down on being an asshole. I don't have the patience anymore to try and change people because they don't want to be changed.
Pretty much, it's like my grandmother used to say "you can take the horse to the well but you can't make him drink". It's the problem with society in general, very few actually wanna better themselves personally.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Great story OP, I too try to combat the at times overwhelming toxicity of Rocket League with positivity. It's hard not to get baited sometimes though, like you mentioned. That's crazy awesome that you all just sat around chatting on the results screen.

I feel you, but aside from the fact that people do sometimes change, it can also help to change the server's attitude. Sometimes it can be just as nice to combat negativity with positivity, then watch everyone else continue being positive as the asshole just stops chatting or leaves, even if they never have a change of heart or anything.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Next time someones a prick to you in rocket league just listen to the album in your avatar, it always calms me down.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know people cared so much about unranked games in RL. The entirety of all the crazy toxicity in Rocket League is from Comp.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Didn't know people cared so much about unranked games in RL. The entirety of all the crazy toxicity in Rocket League is from Comp.
Honestly, I think casual has just as many toxic players. If not more so, I can understand people being angry and frustrated in comp. But seeing it in casual is just bonkers.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It used to get to me but now every insult and attempt of baiting just makes me laugh and winning those matches feels all the more better. I never respond to them though, let them sit in their own salt.