• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DesertEater

Oct 28, 2017

Funny how BBC thought this is news worthy! specially with all the shit happening today..

I don't see why this matters, or how the fake ass backlash is important. The lash will die out in a day and all its doing is giving more coverage, free coverage, to the product.

I'm following Kim on instagram. I saw the post but didn't even notice the word Kimono. Thanks to era though haha I got exposed twice to the ad. I mean it's clever and makes sense. I don't understand how its appropriating. She is not selling westernized kimonos. Plus, she and Kanye have always been anime nerds so this is not the first time they do something japan related.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As a Scotsman this is just one more legitimate thing to add to our list of inventions.

However even if we grant that it's an original combination and this really was the origin as a marketable thing - it seems extremely unlikely that nothing similar or identical didn't occur in a region where that bbq method and yogurt or cream based sauces like korma as a natural happenstance.

That story also mentions that Birmingham is claiming the invention of Balti - one of the terrible things about living in the states is that Indian and Pakistani and Bangladeshi food is nowhere near as good, common, cheap or abundant as the UK and Balti (basically fast cooked Indian/Pakistani food that's sorta stir fried but not really) is more or less non existent. It's not only not a thing but often east asian folks here have never even heard of it.

We have a few fancy Indian places in Seattle but nowhere near enough places to grab easy cheap takeout or delivery. Dang now I'm starving. Thanks Kim Kardashian and Scotland, birthplace of chicken Tikka masala and television and haggis and economics and begbie and whatnot.

DannyGlover

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Kim Kardashian naming her product Kimono because of her name reminds me of a Bob's Burgers pun. It kind of goes with the Hit Me With Yout Best Shallot burger and Don't Stop Bereaving, grief counseling.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Do people realise that Kimono in Japanese has a much broader meaning than what people in the West think? Rather than being a yukata etc. Would be akin to trademarking 'garment'

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it has Kim in it....

Is that thought that went into this?

What Kimono now means for Gen Z
sexyflanders.jpg

Last edited:

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I don't really think it's cultural appropriation because it has nothing to do with a kimono. But i do think culturally appropriating an actual kimono and would be way less offensive than naming some underwear "kimono". She could be dumb enough to have just picked it because of the "Kim" part. I wouldnt be suprised.

This is also the first time I've seen Japanese people in Japan being upset with someone using something from their culture. You know you fucked up when something like this happens. Especially if she didn't have any malicious intent, this is a huge fail.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
its odd though because - whether this is or isn't cultural appropriation - and whether or not Kimono actually means the thing we all associate with it or not... It has clear recognition with fine colour fabrics and a loose flowing robe. And is being used for a range of plain coloured, tight fitting control underwear? It just doesn't fit at all other than starting with 'Kim'

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
The lack of originality is stunning. It also seems like a dumb move from a marketing point of view. "I just bought a Kimono!" or searching google for Kimono.

That won't cause confusion at all...

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I just filed a trademark request for "the." I'll keep you all updated, probably best to just start avoiding using it though.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually America's fault for consolidating nearly 50 countries of origin into "Asian". Kim just using your own sweeping generalisation against you.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Are we sure it's 着物 and not a play on the word like キム物? I actually went to the "about" section of the webpage but it didn't clarify whether or not it's referring to actual kimonos or some marketing play on words.

If it is キム物 shouldn't it be written kimmono?

This is going to cause confusion, and her product line will likely drown out the searches for kimono and become the default.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
All this over a tortured name-based pun that would probably just cause confusion about what she's selling.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really think it's cultural appropriation because it has nothing to do with a kimono. But i do think culturally appropriating an actual kimono and would be way less offensive than naming some underwear "kimono". She could be dumb enough to have just picked it because of the "Kim" part. I wouldnt be suprised.

This is also the first time I've seen Japanese people in Japan being upset with someone using something from their culture. You know you fucked up when something like this happens. Especially if she didn't have any malicious intent, this is a huge fail.
I still don't buy it. Even the BBC article just references People Mad on Social Media. This will disappear in a week outside of occasional snarky tweets.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it is キム物 shouldn't it be written kimmono?

This is going to cause confusion, and her product line will likely drown out the searches for kimono and become the default.

Hmm, I guess but Toukyou is spelt as Tokyo.

I still don't buy it. Even the BBC article just references People Mad on Social Media. This will disappear in a week outside of occasional snarky tweets.

If you check Twitter and search for キムカーダシアン (Kimu kaadashian) you will see there generally is anger and there seems to be a lot of anger.

This is the first instagram photo.

I don't hate Kim and I think the clothes are nice.

But, I only feel anger at someone using a country's culture for their own sales.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
Hmm, I guess but Toukyou is spelt as Tokyo.

If you check Twitter and search for キムカーダシアン (Kimu kaadashian) you will see there generally is anger and there seems to be a lot of anger.

They missed a key point in the translation where she says "this is now the first result when searching #kimono on Instagram", and it shows Kim Kardashian.

I think the main concern amongst Japanese is that non-Japanese will start thinking "kimono" means "underwear".

Tons of comments are like "how is that a kimono?"

Also, one of my fav comments was from a dude with the last name Ono who was like "If Kim and I get married she can call it Kimono because her name would be Kim Ono" lol.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
Funny how BBC thought this is news worthy! specially with all the shit happening today..

I don't see why this matters, or how the fake ass backlash is important. The lash will die out in a day and all its doing is giving more coverage, free coverage, to the product.

I'm following Kim on instagram. I saw the post but didn't even notice the word Kimono. Thanks to era though haha I got exposed twice to the ad. I mean it's clever and makes sense. I don't understand how its appropriating. She is not selling westernized kimonos. Plus, she and Kanye have always been anime nerds so this is not the first time they do something japan related.
Welp

Mayor of Kyoto chimes in. Minister of Japan's Economy and Trade chimed in as well.
D-LGXipU4AAUc33.jpg

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Youre a full on shill arent you.

This sounds like paid damage control/ dismissal.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Of course this got approved. Shes rich.

Edit: oh shes changing it? Good I guess, but it shouldnt have been approved in the first place.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Are people playing dumb or really just didn't read the article and also don't know how trademarks work by specific uses?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017

ok thanks Kim