• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
That's the part where people are skeptical and I don't know where that optimism comes from.
A half assed photo op where you give up on red lines really easily isn't the start of a peace process. Trump didn't have to legitimize a murderous totalitarian regime by praising it, yet he did. He didn't have to make announcements on military deployment, yet he did, without consulting his allies. It's in line with trumpian pattern of zero effort, instant gratification approach that has been characteristic of this administration.
After this, after the G7 tantrum, after all the domestic dysfunction, it's baffling that people are giving him the benefit of the doubt that he'll somehow have the patience to follow this through over years.

Again, the best case scenario for the peninsula is that regional powers work it out without the US shitting the bed and bringing it all down.
Good post.

A solution without the USA in the equation won't work for the North-Korean problem imo, especially knowing the history of that region. This is a big step imo but yes Trump could always f it up...

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
There's no suggestion the sanctions are having significant impact on North Korea. They're still trading with China (maybe Russia too), food prices are stable and there's even minor economic growth.

For Kim, its mostly about the optics. The arrangement of this meeting is no different from any meeting between two international powers.

Eh all NK experts agree that sanctions are biting hard. Of course there is smuggling trade with China, and other activity but sanctions have been hitting hard for years and they want to get rid of that. That's the whole reason they went along quite quickly with a meeting like this.

Vinci

Oct 29, 2017
And people who are praying things go back to "normal" so they can continue sitting on their asses instead of working toward building a better world continue to lap it up.

That's not what is happening. People want the situation to improve, but that doesn't happen if we just give the man what he wants and make no demands of any kind.

Right now, there are no clear steps...
No timelines...
No oversight...

There is no cost to NK in order to have his regime normalized and given legitimacy. None. He signed an empty, hollow agreement filled with platitudes.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
A brutal dictator running one of the most oppressive regimes (if not the most) on Earth is now being normalized by your president as a great guy beloved by his people. While the leader of Canada is vilified for...defending his country against sudden aggressive tariffs?

Nov 1, 2017
That's not what is happening. People want the situation to improve, but that doesn't happen if we just give the man what he wants and make no demands of any kind.

Right now, there are no clear steps...
No timelines...
No oversight...

There is no cost to NK in order to have his regime normalized and given legitimacy. None. He signed an empty, hollow agreement filled with platitudes.
I wasn't saying to give him what he wants. Quite the opposite in fact. I'm talking about people praising this when it accomplishes nothing.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit @ announcing the end of joint military exercises without having the military onboard. It's been said before, but he's running the country as if it was one of his shitty businesses - encouraging conflict among advisers and staff, making decisions without consultation and on the spur of the moment, refusing to take advice unless it echoes what he's already thinking etc. - and it's absolutely fucking insane.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what Kim and his people are discussing now on the way back to NK. They must have exceeded all their expectations with the summit. They got so much for doing nothing.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fucking shit this propaganda is borrowing into people's heads and assuming direct control.

We have have lobotomized ourselves as a country. Moderates are so desperate for the appearance of normalcy and some perverse wax museum abomination of 'progress' that even this pantomime is enough of a hit to remove critical thought.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Just a reminder that the current US administration punished Cuba and Iran, two countries that are on a rather positive and normalising path and rewards North Korea, one of the most cruel and tyrannic regimes.

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Conservatives bashed the Iran deal and that had actual plans out in place to prevent a nuclearized Iran and they had passed IEAE inspections 11 times and had dropped uranium enrichment by 90%. But somehow that was a bad deal and this non deal is a great deal? Huh?

Nothing concrete has been put in place and with an understaffed State Department which leads to lack of diplomacy. I am not seeing anything concrete just a lot of bravado and bluster, which is typical of Trump. Trump could do anything and they would applaud.

I voted for Obama but I still disagreed with him at times and wish he was more progressively minded, although difficult with an obstructionist Congress. My point is I do not rally around Dear leader like some kind of simplistic drone. I question things and hope the president or any politician represents the ideals I believe in and if they don't I stay proactive and try to make my voice heard.

I will never understand Trump supporters inability to hold someone they elected, feet to the fire. Hell they ignore all the environmental protections Trump,Pruitt, and the GOP are eroding away which will greatly impact their health and especially their children's health.

Last edited:

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Conservatives bashed the Iran deal and that had actual plans out in place to prevent a nuclearized Iran and they had passed IEAE inspections 11 times and had dropped uranium enrichment by 90%. But somehow that was a bad deal and this non deal is a great deal? Huh?

Nothing concrete has been put in place and with an understaffed State Department which leads to lack of diplomacy. I am not seeing anything concrete just a lot of bravado and bluster, which is typical of Trump. Trump could do anything and they would applaud.

I voted for Obama but I still disagreed with him at times and wish he was more progressively minded, although difficult with an obstructionist Congress. My point is I do not rally around Dear leader like some kind of simplistic drone. I question things and hope the president or any politician represents the ideals I believe in and if they don't I stay proactive and try to make my voice heard.

I don't get conservatives and there team sports mentality, they did this same shit with W. And after W. left and created the mess he did, they all suffered from collective amnesia.

It's nothing to do with how good a deal it is. Trump is such an egomaniac that he just wants to undo anything that Obama achieved.

My bet is that he is only doing all of this is because he has some wild goal of obtaining a Nobel Peace Prize.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I think I might just shut myself down as far as news goes this week. I have Elder Scrolls online coming tomorrow so I could drown myself in that.

Because I do not need this level of depressing bullshit added to my mind at this point. One look at social media is all I needed. Trump shitbags are hoisting this debacle as a victory and the rest of humanity is gaping in dumbstruck awe the sheer lack of cognitive thought involved.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is the last we will see of Kim before 2020. There's atleast the possibility of either a White House visit or Pyongyang visit that Trump will use to show "diplomacy" and "process" moving forward under him.
The Iran deal was literally a thousand times better than this turd is shaping up to be. It had actual enforcement and inspections etc. If trump is already canceling military exercises based off a vague agreement then kim has already won.

If the Iran deal was spun as bad then this will be easy fodder.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017

Greta Van Susteren: "What surprised you about Kim Jong Un?"

Trump: "Really, he's got a great personality. He's a funny guy, he's very smart, he's a great negotiator. He loves his people, not that I'm surprised by that, but he loves his people."

Funny guy!

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, Trump single handedly destroying US foreign policy. His party and cabinet literally have no control or say in anything he does. We're on a plane with no one at the controls.