• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Link: http://s.kyoto-np.jp/top/article/20171227000164

But I'm using this Yahoo article that Google Translates better: https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20171228-00000001-kyt-bus_all

Kimishima hopes to sell over 20 million units of the Nintendo Switch for the fiscal year FY3/2019.

Tatsumi Kimishima, president of Nintendo, said on Wednesday, "We would like to be over 20 million units" about the annual sales volume of the "Nintendo switch" of the new-type home game machine "Fiscal Year 2018" in response to the interview by the Kyoto Shimbun.

Aside from their forecast to sell 14 million units in the current fiscal year. They want to make Switch more popular by releasing software that enables new ways of playing.

We anticipate selling 14 million units in FY 2017 and are planning to accelerate the momentum of popularization by launching software that enables new ways of playing.

Kimishima clarified that their policy of DLC is used to allow software to be played for a long time. (Like GaaS)

President Kimishima stressed that "I want to ship more than that" for FY 2018. It also clarified the policy to enrich the download contents to allow the purchased software to be played for a long time.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, and there it is...

That's ambitious, let's hope they can back it up.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
They're planning on beating the Wii U Ltd in pretty much exactly a year. I wouldn't get against it.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds about right. A price drop late in the year or an aggressive bundle could really take off. It should be close to 5 million in Japan alone if momentum keeps up.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
Only thing that is bumming me put is the possibility of no January game but I am keeping hopes up.

They delivered a decent game each month since launch and that is all I want in 2018.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
If they can manage Smash, Pokemon, Yoshi, Kirby and one or two other big first party games next year, then 2019 with Metroid, Botw 2, Animal crossing and some decent 3rd party gets along the way, sure.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That'd be great. I hope they have lots of exciting software lined up. Plus a robust Virtual Console-type service.

They delivered a decent game each month since launch and that is all I want in 2018.

Not in April, August, or November. Mario + Rabbids launched in August, so I suppose you can kind of count that month.

I don't expect anything major in January and Bayonetta 1+2 and Dragon Quest Builders will be the only "major" releases in February. March will be the first month in 2018 with a truly big release and I think there will be plenty of major titles released pretty regularly from then on. Obviously my own personal prediction.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Releasing a second version of the switch like a switch XL would make 20 million easily possible

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I sure hope they can pull that off, and I think they can. I'm really excited to see the software that's going to push these sales. Smash has got to be in the lineup!

Deleted member 9145

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pokemon will assure this on its own

If they hit 2018 the world is going to be forever changed

and they still won't have a competent online infrastructure

GOAT

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Nintendo is very confident in Switch. 16 million this fiscal year and then another 20 million next fiscal year.

For reference, PS4 current forecast is for 20 million this fiscal year. This will also be the best year for PS4 so far.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is very confident in Switch. 16 million this fiscal year and then another 20 million next fiscal year.

For reference, PS4 current forecast is for 20 million this fiscal year. This will also be the best year for PS4 so far.

How do you think markets that have traditionally been underserved by Nintendo will factor into this?

They're still way behind in places like Asia but it looks like they're finally starting to make an effort.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Isnt this fiscal year 14 million and 16 with the units sold in march ?

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Pokemon does release in 2018, and turns out to be spectacular on all levels, i can see it doing more than 20 million.

Oct 25, 2017
Kimishima hopes to sell over 20 million units of the Nintendo Switch for the fiscal year FY3/2019.
9TIOTxI.gif

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope "software that enables new types of playing" doesn't translate into "please buy our new plastic accessories".

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well I guess that means Pokemon or Animal Crossing confirmed for 2018 then

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
How do you think markets that have traditionally been underserved by Nintendo will factor into this?

They're still way behind in places like Asia but it looks like they're finally starting to make an effort.

Making an effort is one thing. Just being there will provide a boost.

But really they need to follow Sony's example if they want to really do well in emerging markets. That means better distribution, localisation, marketing, eshop support etc...
Nintendo has already removed region lock from Switch which is a significant thing for Asia. They've also launched officially in Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea and localised titles in Simplified / Traditional Chinese and Korean. That being said they haven't got local language support on the console yet and the eshop situation is a mess. Switch does lend itself well to gaming tastes in Asia so if they can continue support in those markets they can really benefit from it. But there is a long way to go if they want to have the same impact that Sony had in the region.