• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
The only podcast hosts in gaming that I've come across who are on Greg's level for me are Kyle Bosman of Easy Allies and Ben Hanson of Game Informer. There's plenty of good podcasts with good panellists, but they're the only ones who have that level of skill and personalit to carry the hosting/moderating duties without being dull or uneducated on topics.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
I don't typically "listen" to KF podcasts, as I tend to watch them on YouTube. If I don't have time, I'll save an occasional KFP or KFGC on my podcast app to listen at work. Other podcasts I listen to are Giant Bomb's Bombcast (and its separate after show) and Beastcast (as well as their infrequent interview feed). If I have the time, I'll prefer to watch the YouTube video of the Bombcast (their only video option). I listen to Easy Allies' Easy Allies Podcast, FrameTrap, Cup of Jones, Fiasconauts, and (the, for now, defunct) Table Top Adventures (I opt for YouTube for all of these when I can). The final video game podcast I listen to is NoClip's show (very infrequent). Prior to working, I used to have time for more video game podcasts such as PS Blogcast, PS Nation, and Podcast Beyond. I listened to the latter two from 2008-2018. It was weird to stop, but also very freeing.

As for non video game podcasts, I used to listen to Tested's This is Only a Test (Gary Whitta used to be a regular years ago) and Still Untitled: The Adam Savage Project. I also used to listen to Rebel Force Radio, but the hosts really rubbed me the wrong way (and apparently a whole lot of other people) and I dropped them pretty quickly. My favorite show there was Star Wars Oxygen, which was all about John Williams' music. It was co-hosted by composer (including games music) and actor (mostly VO in video games and background characters in movies) David W. Collins (he also co-hosts the Star Wars movie premieres and Star Wars Celebration panels/interviews). Despite liking the show, he was smart for ending the show and getting out of there before the main hosts really started to make fools of themselves (whiny behavior, sexist comments, calling out "fake fans" because they "dared" to bash the prequels (they particularly hated on Simon Pegg for this reason, saying he was a fake nerd)). So, it was a pleasant surprise to see he went on to launch a solo show called The Soundtrack Show. And instead of just Star Wars, he covers all movies. He does a lot of John Williams stuff, as that is his specialty, but it's a much larger scope. His Super Mario Bros. episode was really neat. The show is currently covering Raiders of the Lost Ark. Part 3 just came out this week. Very eye (or ear, in this case) opening stuff.

Last edited:

ghornett

Nov 16, 2017
I know I'm reading waaaay to far into this, but it's funny to see Greg mention that he paid for the Gaems monitor in a tweet but not the BL3 code that he was playing on the monitor or any time he posts about him playing the game it's basically a #ad due to the partnership.

Makes u think. If they really cared about transparency they would mention every single free code game they play. I'm not sure why this gets under my skin but it does.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I know I'm reading waaaay to far into this, but it's funny to see Greg mention that he paid for the Gaems monitor in a tweet but not the BL3 code that he was playing on the monitor or any time he posts about him playing the game it's basically a #ad due to the partnership.

Makes u think. If they really cared about transparency they would mention every single free code game they play. I'm not sure why this gets under my skin but it does.

Is it really that big a deal? I'm pretty sure every games journo/YT person/whatever gets codes for basically every game for free. KF have talked before about getting codes for games that they never even use. If they had to mention every time they got a code for a game they'd get nothing done... It's just easier to assume they got everything for free.

The stuff with BL3 is a bit murkier because of the partnership but they would have got those codes regardless right? I still think the whole thing is super dodgy but them talking about games they got for free doesn't really bother me that much.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

When you get 90% of your games for free and are rambling about them I'm sure it's easy to forget to put a disclaimer with all of them. Not really a big deal.

Borderlands does suck though.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Tim's whole "this won't be a spoiler" thing and then describing a unique and interesting set piece from Gears 5 in complete detail -- only to then argue that it's not a spoiler -- was frustrating.

If it's a unique set piece in the game that hasn't been in the marketing, it's a spoiler. The game has been out for like a week.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I know its probably not the thread to discuss but geeze. Apparently Colin's gf was raped this year. She tweeted it about in relation to something Ben Shapiro said.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Tim's whole "this won't be a spoiler" thing and then describing a unique and interesting set piece from Gears 5 in complete detail -- only to then argue that it's not a spoiler -- was frustrating.

If it's a unique set piece in the game that hasn't been in the marketing, it's a spoiler. The game has been out for like a week.
I'm so glad I saw your comment before I reached that point in the show. I had to skip over that part. Greg's face though when Tim tries to explain what is/isn't a spoiler is priceless. Also wtf Andrea with the "it's been out 2 days" comment. Like I'm constantly blown away by the dumb things she says. As if everyone played the game in that first 2 days.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm so glad I saw your comment before I reached that point in the show. I had to skip over that part. Greg's face though when Tim tries to explain what is/isn't a spoiler is priceless. Also wtf Andrea with the "it's been out 2 days" comment. Like I'm constantly blown away by the dumb things she says. As if everyone played the game in that first 2 days.

This is actually a good example of what I mentioned earlier in the thread about unfair hate toward Andrea.

She was saying Tim should NOT spoil the game because it's only been out a few days. Not that 2 days is long enough to start spoiling things.

You're on her side in this. She literally was saying the opposite of what you just called her "dumb" for saying.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I'm honest to god extremely upset that Tim didn't go through each of Ash's league losses 1 by 1. I was so hyped and then he just skips all of them smh

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm honest to god extremely upset that Tim didn't go through each of Ash's league losses 1 by 1. I was so hyped and then he just skips all of them smh
You say that like he actually witnessed any of Ash's league losses except for his Indigo loss to Ritchie lmao. Homie definitely hasn't watched an episode since at least October 18, 2003.

Tim not understanding what Avengers is despite Greg and Andrea holding his hand and explaining literally everything was giving off major Fran "does it have to be a weapon?" vibes. Combine that with his dickish defence of his GoW spoilers and it was not a good episode for Mr. 30 Under 30.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
You say that like he actually witnessed any of Ash's league losses except for his Indigo loss to Ritchie lmao. Homie definitely hasn't watched an episode since at least October 18, 2003.

Tim not understanding what Avengers is despite Greg and Andrea holding his hand and explaining literally everything was giving off major Fran "does it have to be a weapon?" vibes. Combine that with his dickish defence of his GoW spoilers and it was not a good episode for Mr. 30 Under 30.

I think he seen Johto's at least.

I think I remember him mentioning the legendary bs in sinnoh a long time ago too.

Either way I wanted him to come in with his research done for that bit smh

Also his FFVIIr talk sucked too. A lot of misinfo/mislead imo.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
Tim's fallen into the camp of people who struggle to praise FF7R and its team without putting down or misrepresenting others and I hate it.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
If it's just about putting down SE in general than eh I don't mind that lol. Though something weird relating to that is when he was talking about the team that was working on FFVIIr being the same team as KH3 (Which is false and kinda doesn't make sense?), it's only Nomura. Not to mention the KH2 and FFXIII combat team/directors are on it.

And more into the spoiler subject, how's he gonna tell greg the plate will fall at the end of the game when he knows Greg knows nothing about the story and is interested in playing? Just seems weird when he could just be more vague by saying "when they leave Midgar". Now of course anyone who remembers how midgar goes knows that's not actually much of a spoiler because it's not actually the end of Midgar like Tim was claiming lol. But it seems more spoilery when you're claiming its the end of the game.

There were some other weird things I couldn't help but nitpick too like how he was talking about the combat and new story additions.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017

I was kinda with Tim on that discussion. I think he was more describing what he wanted the game to be, rather than what it actually is, and I feel the same about it. He wants it to be Tomb Raider with Avengers, which sounds awesome, but it's actually more of this weird Destiny/God of War hybrid which no one really wants.

After their initial reveal I haven't cared enough about the game to know whether his discussion about the story is accurate or not.

Yasamuu

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the Gaming Podcasts recommendations folks.

Actually listened to Games Daily yesterday and thought it was a good one. Will probably give the Gamescast a miss again though, sounds like the FFVIIR chat will just annoy me!

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I was kinda with Tim on that discussion. I think he was more describing what he wanted the game to be, rather than what it actually is, and I feel the same about it. He wants it to be Tomb Raider with Avengers, which sounds awesome, but it's actually more of this weird Destiny/God of War hybrid which no one really wants.

After their initial reveal I haven't cared enough about the game to know whether his discussion about the story is accurate or not.
He kept repeating that he was predicting the game would have a tiny bit of story at the beginning, middle, and end, which Andrea and Greg were straight-up telling him wasn't true. They were literally explaining that the game has story and non-story missions and he was still inventing this idea that Avengers would be a game where you do unrelated missions the entire time and randomly get a cut scene at the beginning, middle, and end. I understand he wants this game to be more like Tomb Raider, but based on the accounts of people who have actually played it he's completely off the mark with what he thinks this game is.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
He kept repeating that he was predicting the game would have a tiny bit of story at the beginning, middle, and end, which Andrea and Greg were straight-up telling him wasn't true. They were literally explaining that the game has story and non-story missions and he was still inventing this idea that Avengers would be a game where you do unrelated missions the entire time and randomly get a cut scene at the beginning, middle, and end. I understand he wants this game to be more like Tomb Raider, but based on the accounts of people who have actually played it he's completely off the mark with what he thinks this game is.

I thought he was overly harsh on Avengers but, let's be honest, the internet as a whole has been needlessly negative about that game.

Like, I'm worried about a few things. But god damn, the conversation around it is so toxic and I don't get why.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought he was overly harsh on Avengers but, let's be honest, the internet as a whole has been needlessly negative about that game.

Like, I'm worried about a few things. But god damn, the conversation around it is so toxic and I don't get why.
Because after how amazing Spider-Man PS4 turned out and the current zeitgeist of Marvel the idea of a GaaS Avengers game is hugely disappointing.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Avengers sounds awful to me. Seems like it's trying to please everyone at once which means it will be loved by no one.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I dont think they've shown enough of avengers yet to make definitive statements.

I thought it was a weak unveiling and they should have done a better job but I'm still curious and hoping it turns out well.

Bottom line, it was a bad unveiling and that's why the conversion about it has been negative.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Avengers sounds awful to me. Seems like it's trying to please everyone at once which means it will be loved by no one.

I've never been excited for an Avengers game beause I mean in a sense this is what it always had to be? If you want a real polished AAA singleplayer Avengers campaign then you'd need to focus on one character. But then that's not Avengers... People have a hard enough time making a good campaign around 1 charatcer, let alone 5 completley different playstyles. This was always gonna need to be a lil dumbed down in a MUA-esque vein.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
So I'm going through the Oreo Oration series for the first time and got to the Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie review.

Hardest fucking laugh I've had in a while. Holy shit.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
same but is that a game
5gjynqvuhec31.png

smh