• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017

Woah! Congrats KF on getting the Sugar Free Redbull sponsorship! Between that and Diet Coke they're killing it right now.

Okay but real talk this episode was absolutely fantastic. I know Andy and Nick discussed being worried about how itd turn out because KF hasn't made this type of outdoor/exploring content, but it was great! That definitely took a lot of effort to put together but it paid off, and the episode was hilarious too.

I'd love to see more KF "on-the-go" or explatory content in the future. One of the GOG shows a looong time ago was made during a road trip, and I think even recording vlogs in that vein would be so funny.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I also want to say how great I thought this week's Gamescast was. Mikey was probably the best fan guest they've ever had on. He fit in sooo natural and engaged with the crew like he's known them for years. It was also refreshing to hear someone on Kinda Funny actually dissect a fighting game from a place of experience for once. He made me want to go out and buy Soul Calibur 6.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I also want to say how great I thought this week's Gamescast was. Mikey was probably the best fan guest they've ever had on. He fit in sooo natural and engaged with the crew like he's known them for years. It was also refreshing to hear someone on Kinda Funny actually dissect a fighting game from a place of experience for once. He made me want to go out and buy Soul Calibur 6.
Yeah, I actively took note of how much he was able to get a word in and control the conversation in a way that didn't deter the show. Most of the time, the guests don't say anything until asked a question by the hosts.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Anybody else hear Greg's opinion on RDR2 on Jared's show yet? I can't say I disagree with him when he says he can't wait to go home and play literally anything else. I've read about a dozen reviews now that give the game a 9 or a 10 and they all talk about how the game controls like shit and the hyper-realism can be cumbersome. If any other developer had those kinds of negatives in their game they'd be getting scores of 7 across the board. No surprise that Jared loved it.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else hear Greg's opinion on RDR2 on Jared's show yet? I can't say I disagree with him when he says he can't wait to go home and play literally anything else. I've read about a dozen reviews now that give the game a 9 or a 10 and they all talk about how the game controls like shit and the hyper-realism can be cumbersome. If any other developer had those kinds of negatives in their game they'd be getting scores of 7 across the board. No surprise that Jared loved it.
Yeah my main concern with the game is that the hyper realism could get old fast.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
"Which Ghostbuster do you identify more with, Greg?"

"...Hmm...."

"For me, it's either Kristen Wiig or Kate McKinnon"

I love Andy

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
With Jared & Greg on one review, I will wait until after I finish the game to check their review. Those two are responsible for 95% of the time of me getting spoiled on games pre-release lol.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of appreciate Greg's relatively unpredictable taste in games. It's a good reminder that he's just like us and sometimes just isn't feeling something.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
The parts where you literally have to bathe and feed your character are just too much for me. I like realism in games every now and then, but doing mundane real life things is not what I want from a video game.
Sounded boring to me months ago in the previews and it is tbh, only played a few hours and stuff like that is already dull. Cba with the camp either.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Seems Greg was spot on with his RDR2 opinion tbh

I've never seen a game gain this much backlash one day after release.
It's not a huge backlash or anything but it's big and the game is supposed to be in the honey moon period.
It's not just Era. My subreddits and twitter feed are full of complaints.
I'm loving the game though and wasn't surprised by the controls because I played the first RDR a month ago.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen a game gain this much backlash one day after release.
It's not a huge backlash or anything but it's big and the game is supposed to be in the honey moon period.
It's not just Era. My subreddits and twitter feed are full of complaints.
I'm loving the game though and wasn't surprised by the controls because I played the first RDR a month ago.
I've got three core issues with the game, two of which could be patched.

1. The controls. Particularly how the contextual menu can override aiming and shooting and how actually aiming isn't smooth no matter what settings you use.

2. The multilayer systems and gratuitous animations. It gets old fast having to sit through all of these skinning, looting, searching, etc animations and the systems that go along with them are hyper realistic to the point of fault.

3. The dissonance between playing Arthur as honorable yet doing shit like Herr Strauss' debt collecting.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Its a good game, don't get me wrong, but there are so many flaws. It really doesn't want the player having fun.
RDR2 never seemed like my type of game, so I was really never hyped for it, and Greg's review pretty much confirmed I shouldn't play it. Glad to hear though that it lived up to the hype for a lot of people.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Jared spends a lot of time talking about creator's intent and trying to build an aura around what the game is or is supposed to be, rather than talking about his own actual experiences. For somebody that puts so much energy into his descriptions, I think a lot of the particular aspects he praises are easy-to-access or, just generally, low hanging fruit. Yeah, the game obvious has a lot of unique NPCs, environments, scenarios, props, but this aspect of games feels built almost exclusively on manpower alone. I know there are a lot of different things to experience, I know it's going to be extremely detailed, but in light of our ongoing conversation about crunch in the workplace, I kinda wish Jared would ground his love for the game in vocabulary that isn't so steeped in admiration for a romanticized concept of the developer. Do I think Jared loves the game? Definitely, but I feel like his usual energy is being disrupted out of some personal stake of his to tell people that it's amazing.

I don't have a lot of interest in getting into a debate about the quality of Red Dead Redemption 2, but Jared's impressions struck me as either inauthentic or imprecise. I think a good moment that showcased this was when he basically interrupted Andy's comment about the game being best enjoyed in many-hour-chunks, rather than short bursts, and Jared clarified that it's a game to be played in "chapters, not missions." Which, to me, was just a euphemism of Andy's comment.

Speaking of Andy, I thought he and Kevin were lovely to listen to in the latest Gamescast. Both recalled their experiences through helpful comparison (comparing the shooting, controls, or button mapping to other contemporary games) and other resonant examples. Something I've realized I love about their time on the mic is that they rarely, if ever, shy away from saying exactly what they want, without trying to dress it up.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Don't really care about Smash but Tim is cracking me the fuck up right now with this whole Grinch conspiracy.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I can agree with this to a degree. Jared has been on Red Dead's nuts all year (started a podcast about it like 7 months before it came out) and seems to almost struggle to critique it. He clearly made up his mind about the game well before release and went in looking to substantiate his thoughts. Colin used to do that a lot.

On a similar note, the YouTube comments are being pretty harsh toward Greg and Andy. I hate shit like that. God forbid a game doesn't click with them.

And to be clear, after playing some more I've warmed up a lot to Red Dead and am enjoying it.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I can agree with this to a degree. Jared has been on Red Dead's nuts all year and seems to almost struggle to critique it.

On a similar note, the YouTube comments are being pretty harsh toward Greg and Andy. I hate shit like that. God forbid a game doesn't click with them.

Yeah, that stuff is weird. People get defensive when some don't like a thing they like, as if it were a personal attack against them.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I admit I'm a little surprised about what Greg didn't like about RDR2. My main takeaway from the review was is that he didn't like to play as the bad guy. He mentions in RDR1 you had Abigail and Jack at the beginning and go from there in picking to being good or return to bad, which is not true. Those 2 don't get introduced until late in the game but he might've just meant that they were mentioned early on.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Knew Jared would defend the game to the end and wave off all faults. Not shocking at all.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Knew Jared would defend the game to the end and wave off all faults. Not shocking at all.

When he does acknowledge faults, like in the gamescast, it's barely a sentence or two just being like "yeah the menus/controls are bad," and then he goes right back to praise. It feels like he might have too much invested.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
You can love something and acknowledge the faults. It seems Jared agrees Red Dead 2 has flaws but they did not hinder his experience.
That doesn't make him a sellout.

There are games I absolutely love but I fully agree they have flaws. Whenever I talk about those games I much rather discuss the things I love about them then discuss their faults.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I can agree with this to a degree. Jared has been on Red Dead's nuts all year (started a podcast about it like 7 months before it came out) and seems to almost struggle to critique it. He clearly made up his mind about the game well before release and went in looking to substantiate his thoughts. Colin used to do that a lot.

And to be clear, after playing some more I've warmed up a lot to Red Dead and am enjoying it.

*These guys are shills they are never negative about a game*
*HOW DARE YOU not 100% enjoy Red Dead 2!*

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Listened to GamesCast. Honestly I thought all their commentary was valid.

Jared cares more about atmosphere and environmental story telling than actual gameplay I feel. It's no surprise to me that he gives it such high praise because of that.

My opinions on it are lined up with Andy's from the couple hours I've played. Controls are absolute dog shit.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Listened to GamesCast. Honestly I thought all their commentary was valid.

Jared cares more about atmosphere and environmental story telling than actual gameplay I feel. It's no surprise to me that he gives it such high praise because of that.

My opinions on it are lined up with Andy's from the couple hours I've played. Controls are absolute dog shit.
Yeah, I enjoy the game enough but the controls are a constant battle

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
I've really enjoyed KF's coverage of Red Dead. In fact, I've say it's up there in some of their best discussions they've had about a game. I thought the GamesCast review was especially good. Really enjoy hearing the differing takes and experiences person to person. I personally have been loving nearly everything about RDR2, and really love the slow pacing. Boy those controls are not great though.

Off topic, but sometimes KF content is hard to consume in public lmao. The Grinch Conspiracy on yesterday's KFGD was one of those moments where I looked like a crazy person laughing in public to myself. When Tim got to the earthquake I had to cover my mouth from laughing so hard. Dude was literally going through evidence slide by slide like an FBI investigation.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I've really enjoyed KF's coverage of Red Dead. In fact, I've say it's up there in some of their best discussions they've had about a game. I thought the GamesCast review was especially good. Really enjoy hearing the differing takes and experiences person to person. I personally have been loving nearly everything about RDR2, and really love the slow pacing. Boy those controls are not great though.

Off topic, but sometimes KF content is hard to consume in public lmao. The Grinch Conspiracy on yesterday's KFGD was one of those moments where I looked like a crazy person laughing in public to myself. When Tim got to the earthquake I had to cover my mouth from laughing so hard. Dude was literally going through evidence slide by slide like an FBI investigation.
"Tab 13, please, Kevin."

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

oT7ztua.jpg

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Andy is streaming on Twitch as Star-Lord and he's even do the beard haha, he looks great

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to get mobile push notificaitons for certain channels? I'm not much of a stream watcher but his is one I'd tune into more if I caught him.