• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love the new changes, I feel like In Review shouldn't be a "morning show". It's a great show, but I don't want them to feel forced to review things just because it's scheduled every Tuesday. It works now because they have content planned out, but eventually it could get to the point where they are reviewing things just because it's a Tuesday show. Sure, they could pivot to other things like games or comics to pad out the content, but I feel like it would be better served having it be free from the "morning show" constraints (like Party Mode), allowing them to take breaks from the show when need be. What they'd replace it with, I haven't a clue.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
As much as I love the new changes, I feel like In Review shouldn't be a "morning show". It's a great show, but I don't want them to feel forced to review things just because it's scheduled every Tuesday. It works now because they have content planned out, but eventually it could get to the point where they are reviewing things just because it's a Tuesday show. Sure, they could pivot to other things like games or comics to pad out the content, but I feel like it would be better served having it be free from the "morning show" constraints (like Party Mode), allowing them to take breaks from the show when need be. What they'd replace it with, I haven't a clue.
I'm in the same boat. I also don't think they keep up the Debatable Show. I didn't even watch the 2nd episode cause that kind of format is just a turn off to me.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the same boat. I also don't think they keep up the Debatable Show. I didn't even watch the 2nd episode cause that kind of format is just a turn off to me.

My only issue with the show is the podium. I wish they would be some sound absorbing thing on it. Whenever Jared hits it, the sound reverberates around the room. Maybe if they ever do have issues running out of debates, they could make Thursdays after KFGD be the "Game Show Block", where they cycle in various game show-esque shows, with Debatable being one of them. Maybe one could be a trivia show for instance.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I haven't watched most of them extensively by any means but the only Morning Show that really interests me is KFAF at the moment. The impression that I get is:

Internet Explorers is just Tim hype hour.
In Review is them reviewing a film series I have absolutely zero interest in.
Debatable is supposed to be Greg's outlet to perform but it seems to just be him being mean to guests? I don't really like the jammed up Greg heel character either.
The film show just doesn't interest me for no particular reason. I don't really go to KF for film opinions.

KFAF is great though and seems to be the most popular so I imagine it'll stick around, even if they reshuffle things eventually.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Latest Gamescast is an interesting listen. Some genuinely compelling discussion.

Side note, Greg seems uncharacteristically down on Sony. That said, I do agree there's plenty of reason to be optimistic about the next Xbox.

Last edited:

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Latest Gamescast is an interesting listen. Some genuinely compelling discussion.

Side note, Greg seems uncharacteristically down on Sony. That said, I do agree there's plenty of reason to be optimistic about the next Xbox.

Yeah it's a little weird but it's similar to his feeling at the end of the PS3 as well. At least at that time, his feeling were more justified. I think it's stems from his lack knowledge of the new people who runs PlayStation right now. So he doesn't have faith in them because he doesn't know them and seen them launch a new console.

I do think Xbox will have a big turnaround next gen but it will remain limited to NA & the UK and even those markets it will remain 50-50 sales wise. The one thing I don't agree with is that Xbox games will continue to have forward compatibility into next gen specially their first party games. I do think even MS will cut off at least the base Xbox One from getting those games.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Did they seriously accept a sponsorship from a for-profit scam college!?
Particularly egregious considering they had three ads on that episode of Gamescast.

Doesn't surprise me tbh. Greg is always playing on the go now and is smitten with game streaming because he lives in a bubble, so he's high on Microsoft and Nintendo. When Sony hits with like a dozen great exclusives, as they literally always do, he'll come back around and say how amazing they are. Then the cycle will start again.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's a little weird but it's similar to his feeling at the end of the PS3 as well. At least at that time, his feeling were more justified. I think it's stems from his lack knowledge of the new people who runs PlayStation right now. So he doesn't have faith in them because he doesn't know them and seen them launch a new console.

I do think Xbox will have a big turnaround next gen but it will remain limited to NA & the UK and even those markets it will remain 50-50 sales wise. The one thing I don't agree with is that Xbox games will continue to have forward compatibility into next gen specially their first party games. I do think even MS will cut off at least the base Xbox One from getting those games.
I think it's also generally lately we've seen companies have one great console and then get arrogant and then have one bad console, so we will see if that happens here

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017

I couldn't believe how positive they all were about the next-gen Xbox line up (Jared even sounded surprised when Tim suggested Sony might be competitive with them). Like, what is this optimism based on? They bought a bunch of new studios last year, most of which are totally unproven at the level Microsoft needs them to be at, so they aren't going to compete with Naughty Dog, Guerrilla and SSM anytime soon.

Besides these days it takes at least 3-4 years to make a AAA game so we probably won't start seeing half of these studios' games until 2022ish. Compare to Sony who will probably come out the gate with Horizon 2, God of War 2 and something like a new Uncharted by that time.

Like I don't want to be unfairly down on Xbox cos they're clearly making the right moves, but to me they're at least 10 years behind where Sony is in terms of cultivating a first-party line up.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't believe how positive they all were about the next-gen Xbox line up (Jared even sounded surprised when Tim suggested Sony might be competitive with them). Like, what is this optimism based on? They bought a bunch of new studios last year, most of which are totally unproven at the level Microsoft needs them to be at, so they aren't going to compete with Naughty Dog, Guerrilla and SSM anytime soon.

Besides these days it takes at least 3-4 years to make a AAA game so we probably won't start seeing half of these studios' games until 2022ish. Compare to Sony who will probably come out the gate with Horizon 2, God of War 2 and something like a new Uncharted by that time.

Like I don't want to be unfairly down on Xbox cos they're clearly making the right moves, but to me they're at least 10 years behind where Sony is in terms of cultivating a first-party line up.
IIRC Naughty Dog only has one team now so we won't see anything from them after LOU2 for a while. So they do have God Of War 2 and Horizon. I could see Horizon being a launch game but God of War 2 will probably be the year after. Spider-Man 2 will also probably be 2021. So MSFT and Sony will probably both be launching their big guns all around the same time.

Their other big Sony studio (IMO) Sucker Punch has Ghosts of Tshushima coming out soon? But I agree with Tim, I think Death Stranding, Ghosts and LOU2 "remasters" will all be PS5 Launch titles.

So It will be interesting to see what Sony does, I personally thing they need to buy some more studios so they have some more variety as they've closed a lot of studios recently.

And I really like Ninja Theory so really interested in what they do, interested in what the Turn10 RPG is, and Obsidian is still a really well liked developer.

Last edited:

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
They are bandwagoners, plain and simple. The narrative is currently with MS so they are with MS.
Pretty much. It was a lot less obvious with Colin around as he is an unapologetic fanboy and 100% committed to the PS ecosystem no matter what, but the others will just go with the flow of the industry. That's not a bad thing, but I wonder what it will mean for the audience, given many of them are from the Beyond days?

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are also being incredibly narrow minded about next gen. Constantly talking about games releasing "also on" next gen like the exact same thing that happened last gen to current is going to happen again when everything points to it not being the same.

What we will see, and what they completely glance over (and now I can't tell them about unless I pay them) is that we are looking at native BC with next gen meaning that games won't need to be ported or have different SKUs, rather we will just see patches or built in modes to take advantage of the extra power of next gen consoles.

TLOU2 could release November 2019 on PS4, the PS5 come out March 2020, and TLOU2 get a big patch to make it fully take advantage of the new hardware. But otherwise it would still play just fine on the PS5.

There's not going to be "cross-gen" games as they talk about it. There are going to be single SKU games that work on both PS4 and PS5 (and many who get patches to work better on PS5 beyond any Boost Mode) and there are going to be PS5 exclusives.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
They are bandwagoners, plain and simple. The narrative is currently with MS so they are with MS.

I don't know if I agree with that necessarily... I mean Greg made a name for himself championing PlayStation when everyone else hated them.

wwww

IIRC Naughty Dog only has one team now so we won't see anything from them after LOU2 for a while. So they do have God Of War 2 and Horizon. I could see Horizon being a launch game but God of War 2 will probably be the year after. Spider-Man 2 will also probably be 2021. So MSFT and Sony will probably both be launching their big guns all around the same time.

Sorry should have clarified, i think if there's another Uncharted coming out it's not being made by ND. But I don't think Sony wants to drop the IP entirely so they'll farm it out to someone else (pure speculation on my part).

Also i should say that I think the studios MS has bought are mostly great, NT especially, but nowhere near the same level as Sony's are at the moment.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
What we will see, and what they completely glance over (and now I can't tell them about unless I pay them) is that we are looking at native BC with next gen meaning that games won't need to be ported or have different SKUs, rather we will just see patches or built in modes to take advantage of the extra power of next gen consoles.
They've said multiple times they think this is what Microsoft is going to do. They think they next Xbox is essentially going to be just like the Xbox One X in that regard. They just don't think Sony will because they are Sony and are in the lead.

I don't know if I agree with that necessarily... I mean Greg made a name for himself championing PlayStation when everyone else hated them.

Sorry should have clarified, i think if there's another Uncharted coming out it's not being made by ND. But I don't think Sony wants to drop the IP entirely so they'll farm it out to someone else (pure speculation on my part).

Also i should say that I think the studios MS has bought are mostly great, NT especially, but nowhere near the same level as Sony's are at the moment.
While I think a new uncharted will come eventually (as you said not made by Naughty Dog), not sure who would make it, and I don't think Sony would want to farm that out to a random 2nd party. Plus I mainly think it will be a bit before that IP comes back to give it some rest.

Also I listened to the first two episodes of Debateable last night (I needed something to listen to while walking my dog) and it was enjoyable. It was Greg Miller at his Greg Millerest and didn't need anything more than that.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've said multiple times they think this is what Microsoft is going to do. They think they next Xbox is essentially going to be just like the Xbox One X in that regard. They just don't think Sony will because they are Sony and are in the lead.
No, they've been talking like the neXbox is going to be a PC and there will be no Xbox Too exclusive games.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

They bought studios that only made xbox games anyways like the Forza people and Undead Labs or are gonna make a bunch of 7.0 -8.0 games. Those titles that Greg constantly states can't exist anymore. NT isn't really great. Senua's Sacrifice was an anomaly. It'll be interesting to see if they keep it up.

I don't see any of their first parties making ground breaking games like God of War.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
They bought studios that only made xbox games anyways like the Forza people and Undead Labs or are gonna make a bunch of 7.0 -8.0 games. Those titles that Greg constantly states can't exist anymore. NT isn't really great. Senua's Sacrifice was an anomaly. It'll be interesting to see if they keep it up.

I don't see any of their first parties making ground breaking games like God of War.

That's sort of my point; the potential is there for them to eventually have something that stacks up to Sony, but expecting that within the next few years is ridiculous. It didn't happen overnight for Sony and it won't for Microsoft.

I disagree about NT though... Enslaved was one of my favourite games of last gen.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
That's sort of my point; the potential is there for them to eventually have something that stacks up to Sony, but expecting that within the next few years is ridiculous. It didn't happen overnight for Sony and it won't for Microsoft.

I disagree about NT though... Enslaved was one of my favourite games of last gen.
Yeah, Heavenly Sword was good (for the time) and DmC was as well.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
DmC was hot garbage. Special Edition was improved but still meh. Enslaved was ok.

The thing that honestly NT is top tier at is motion capture and facial animations. MS should just use them to do that work on their other games.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I wonder if they will have a video up for Resident Evil when the embargo ends in a couple hours.
They need to do more game-specific review discussions. They'll do it for the big blockbusters, but IMO whenever they all (or at least a couple of them) play a game right around release I want them to go in-depth and discuss it. What Have You Been Playing on Gamescast is too top-level for my liking.

I also found it absurd that everybody except Tim was acting like it's crazy to think Sony's first party output will match Microsoft's. First off, Microsoft's first party output has been complete garbage for the most part throughout their entire history. I also fail to see how acquiring two teams that already exclusively made games for the platform, and a team like Ninja Theory who have made a single genuinely notable game in their history is going to trounce Sony. When PS5 launches with Death Stranding and Last of Us Part 2 available, and then come in later on with other games made by Guerrilla, Japan Studio, Naughty Dog, Santa Monic, Sucker Punch, Insomniac, and Quantic Dream, it's not even going to be close. Microsoft won't even match Nintendo's first party output, let alone Sony's.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
During E3 everytime MS announced one of their acquisitions I would joke to my friends that they got another 7.5 company.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Jared is growing on me. I love how they acknowledge that he comes out of left field now with his takes. He owns it though.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
A weird thing from yesterday's KFGD: Greg mentioned offhand that they didn't send Andy to the Anthem preview event because he had to do the F&F In Review, even though he wanted to go. Surely I'm not the only one who finds this sort of weird?

I don't really care about Anthem, but surely it's more useful to have someone on the team play a highly anticipated game and be able to go on a show and talk about it, than sit around reviewing a shitty movie from like 15 years ago? To me it feels indicative of where KF are right now; so focused on their own shows and schedule to the detriment of having interesting things to say about recent/upcoming releases.

I don't know, maybe I misunderstood what Greg was saying but it felt weird to me anyway.

Crash

Oct 27, 2017
United States
A weird thing from yesterday's KFGD: Greg mentioned offhand that they didn't send Andy to the Anthem preview event because he had to do the F&F In Review, even though he wanted to go. Surely I'm not the only one who finds this sort of weird?

:(

More important to stay for 1 show to let everyone know that 2F2F is still a bad movie than going to see one of the next big games that is releasing soon.

It seems like Greg misses shows every week because he is going to non-game related events all the time.

Also they're all going to Arizona for a meet and greet this weekend, and then doing a 12 hour stream on Wednesday. Be prepared for them to talk about how exhausted they are on every show. That is going to make for great content for sure.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I've just accepted that KF is not the place for insightful gaming discussion, which is a real shame because I feel that was their bread and butter back in 2015.

Trying to cover more pop culture topics is fine, but if they don't really have much to say beyond fairly surface-level discussions, who cares?

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I've just accepted that KF is not the place for insightful gaming discussion, which is a real shame because I feel that was their bread and butter back in 2015.

Trying to cover more pop culture topics is fine, but if they don't really have much to say beyond fairly surface-level discussions, who cares?

I disagree. I love the discussions that occur on KFGD, and think they do a great job discussing various topics, as well as following up on continuing the topic based on new info, opinions, and/or comments from the community, and when necessary reaching out to a person of higher knowledge on that topic. I think they're pretty agile in how they can bounce from a serious topic to one that provides more levity.

I'm liking the new weekly shows so far. I feel like I'm more apt to watch this content, than I was to tune into an episode of KF morning show.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You'll get hate for this, but I kinda agree.

They've become more of a pop culture group that came from gaming. That's fine, but not exactly what I'm looking for these days.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

I don't really care about Anthem, but surely it's more useful to have someone on the team play a highly anticipated game and be able to go on a show and talk about it, than sit around reviewing a shitty movie from like 15 years ago? To me it feels indicative of where KF are right now; so focused on their own shows and schedule to the detriment of having interesting things to say about recent/upcoming releases.

I don't know, maybe I misunderstood what Greg was saying but it felt weird to me anyway.

Andrea went to the event though and she is part of KF. She'll have much more insightful stuff to say than Andy. I love Andy but he's not exactly the one to go for information more than "yeah it was cool man."

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Totally agree.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Andrea went to the event though and she is part of KF. She'll have much more insightful stuff to say than Andy. I love Andy but he's not exactly the one to go for information more than "yeah it was cool man."

I know Andrea was there but that's sort of besides the point. My point was that they clearly see it as more important that Andy sits on the In Review show to talk about a shitty 15 year old film, than go to a preview event for one of the biggest games of the year.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna miss the long Greg and Gary episodes of kfgd, seems they're only allowed like 50 minutes now.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I know Andrea was there but that's sort of besides the point. My point was that they clearly see it as more important that Andy sits on the In Review show to talk about a shitty 15 year old film, than go to a preview event for one of the biggest games of the year.

How is that besides the point? She's on the team and far more useful than Andy for that. Go listen to Andy's Spider-Man impressions. They weren't good.

Giving game impressions isn't his strong suit.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017

I don't think its besides the point. We don't know if they would have done that if they had no one else to send.