• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Shawn Layden is essentially the face of PlayStation. I had never heard of Mike Ybarra before today. And the face of PlayStation blantaly lying in interviews in game informer and other press junkets is a far bigger deal than tweets.

And they had plenty of other things to talk about.

Honestly just think you guys have way too high of expectations. They said "you have the comments from Mike Ybarra,.." and then later said "This argument that the game is not out is stupid."

But since they didn't specifically say "Mike Ybarra comments were Dumb and that the game is not out is stupid." You want to come up with these conspiracy theories of why. Instead maybe they didn't think it was necessary and just wanted to talk about Anthem in general.

Ybarra is VP of Xbox Gaming and Shawn is president of WWS. While it's not ideal to compare corporate structures but they are about the same level. Also, Ybarra has many more followers on Twitter so it's still a big audience. Sure Shawn has high exposure due to him doing conferences so I won't disagree with your statement about him being the face of PS. Although with Jim Ryan taking over Kodera, I think Jim will be the face now since he isn't as shy as Kodera was.

Regardless, They had an inflammatory title and dedicated thumbnail to Shawn's stuff basically making it the headline of an episode, but they didn't bother to put a single segment for Ybarra's tweets instead of a pass by comment? it wasn't just on Era, it was on /r/games, /r/xboxone and most of gaming journalists and many devs on Twitter mentioned it. Even KF Facebook group had a post on it.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Ybarra is VP of Xbox Gaming and Shawn is president of WWS. While it's not ideal to compare corporate structures but they are about the same level. Also, Ybarra has many more followers on Twitter so it's still a big audience. Sure Shawn has high exposure due to him doing conferences so I won't disagree with your statement about him being the face of PS. Although with Jim Ryan taking over Kodera, I think Jim will be the face now since he isn't as shy as Kodera was.

Regardless, They had an inflammatory title and dedicated thumbnail to Shawn's stuff basically making it the headline of an episode, but they didn't bother to put a single segment for Ybarra's tweets instead of a pass by comment? it wasn't just on Era, it was on /r/games, /r/xboxone and most of gaming journalists and many devs on Twitter mentioned it. Even KF Facebook group had a post on it.

I was going to comment basically all of this. Ybarra is in a pretty damn similar position to Layden, yet they're treated differently by KF when making dumb as hell remarks.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017

Again, just think it was a slower news day when Shawn made those comments and they wanted to talk about Anthem in general instead of focus on one persons comments.

And they still indirectly addressed it so not sure what the deal is.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Their defending of corporations and Anthem no matter what is really starting to get tedious.

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Thoroughly disappointed with Andrea's defense of Anthem with what seemed to be minimizing significant issues with the game other players have had. Her approach of attacking players that didn't know how to do combos was particularly alarming. Her expectation that you should have known about it from previews (because the game completely disregards telling you about it) was a ludicrous defense.
unbelievable.

The only person over there willing to acknowledge the issues and reception of this game is Super Gary.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Was finally able to listen to the KFGD from yesterday, and will just I agree that Andrea probably shouldn't be calling out people for criticizing Anthem when she herself has not been able to play it. Especially when one of said people she is calling out is Jeff Gertsman who deserves some benefit of the doubt when it comes to games criticism.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Was finally able to listen to the KFGD from yesterday, and will just I agree that Andrea probably shouldn't be calling out people for criticizing Anthem when she herself has not been able to play it. Especially when one of said people she is calling out is Jeff Gertsman who deserves some benefit of the doubt when it comes to games criticism.
This was the most annoying part of it, she hasn't played it besides demos behind closed doors but whines about people giving valid complaints.

And then telling Greg she'll see if the servers hold up before playing with him.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I sometimes skip KFGD when Andrea is a guest. She is a little to vocal in her opinions and doesn't change them if someone has a counter argument. Also, the Assassin Creed movie did lose the studio money. Even though she kept insisting the movie made a profit.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I sometimes skip KFGD when Andrea is a guest. She is a little to vocal in her opinions and doesn't change them if someone has a counter argument. Also, the Assassin Creed movie did lose the studio money. Even though she kept insisting the movie made a profit.
Out of all the things Andrea has said recently, the bit about the Assassin's Creed movie made me the most angry, hahaha. At least Kevin kinda called her out, but neither of them seem to understand how much a movie needs to make in order to be considered profitiable in the studios eyes.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Don't really want to jump on the bandwagon but on the latest Gamescast Andrea also said:

She thought Arms sold poorly because she thought it should have sold 4/5 million and it "only" sold 2 million. Which is kinda insane for a brand new IP, weird fighting game releasing on a 4 month old console.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont watch kf content anymore...but have they been running ads for anthem? That might explain some of the possible shilling? Or maybe its not shilling and she and fran are genuinley enjoying the game

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I dont watch kf content anymore...but have they been running ads for anthem? That might explain some of the possible shilling? Or maybe its not shilling and she and fran are genuinley enjoying the game
Tbf Andrea chastised people for daring to have criticisms about it including Jeff gerstmann before even playing the game

Theres a reason she commented on the YouTube comments calling her AndrEA even though tbf YouTube comments are commonly shit

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I don't want to join a hate mob because I'm sure Andrea is a lovely person and a great friend.

But at this point I just skip any KFGD episode she's on. She's very negative, but where Colin's negativity had a certain charm as it bounced off Greg's optimism, hers just comes across as mean at times. Anytime someone writes in to you're wrong she'll say "Okay well we're splitting hairs now" or "yes, but...". The point of the segment isn't to insult their intelligence, it's to correct a mistake, and she's the only cohost who doesn't seem to take it well.

The EA stuff is weird with her because you can always guess what her views will be. EA, Gamestop, Sony and Microtransactions are good, Nintendo, consumers and fans are wrong.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Did Greg really call himself an xbox fanboy yesterday?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

The day prior he scoffed when Andrea asked if he was playing Anthem on Xbox saying "I don't turn it on unless there's something on gamepass"

I don't want to join a hate mob because I'm sure Andrea is a lovely person and a great friend.

But at this point I just skip any KFGD episode she's on. She's very negative, but where Colin's negativity had a certain charm as it bounced off Greg's optimism, hers just comes across as mean at times. Anytime someone writes in to you're wrong she'll say "Okay well we're splitting hairs now" or "yes, but...". The point of the segment isn't to insult their intelligence, it's to correct a mistake, and she's the only cohost who doesn't seem to take it well.

The EA stuff is weird with her because you can always guess what her views will be. EA, Gamestop, Sony and Microtransactions are good, Nintendo, consumers and fans are wrong.
So much this, it grinds my gears every fucking time.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018

I agree. I remember a recent episode of Gamecast where the topic was Smash Ultimate. Jared and Tim were just talking about the game and she completely killed the mood by saying she doesn't like Smash. It did not add anything to the discussion but she had to say she did not like that game. Why that was I still don't know

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Did Greg really call himself an xbox fanboy yesterday?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

The day prior he scoffed when Andrea asked if he was playing Anthem on Xbox saying "I don't turn it on unless there's something on gamepass"

So much this, it grinds my gears every fucking time.
He qualified by saying he really wants them to do well next generation because he really likes what they are doing.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
He qualified by saying he really wants them to do well next generation because he really likes what they are doing.

I don't blame him. It's why competition is good. When you are down against competitors, you innovate/try to entice customers. Look at PS3. Some of the most customer-pleasing stuff happened in the latter half of PS3's life-cycle when things were not going well. Lots of things like cross-play, cross-save, cross-buy were brought to customers. Remote play was introduced, though it wouldn't be fully realized until Vita (shame they couldn't advertise that as a Vita feature at launch, as PS4 had not been announced yet). PS+ was a big thing for them. If the original XBOX, for instance, wasn't so badly trounced by PS2, we might not have had the user-friendly features of 360. I never had a 360, but it clearly had an impact on the design of PS4 and going back to PS3 after having my PS4 is night and day. I hope the strives Microsoft is making will inspire PlayStation in a similar way, like having BC (rumored for PS5), GamePass-esque service (PSNow could morph into it with the recently introduced downloads), and more cross-play opportunities.

I've only ever owned an original XBOX, but all this recent news has me excited. I have a Switch, so that GamePass (and normal purchased games) rumor is fantastic. I also have a good gaming PC (16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1060 6GB video card, Intel Core i7-8700 at 3.20 GHz). GamePass is said to be coming to PC. If that can be coupled with the Switch GamePass, I will be all over that. I'll be able to play the XBOX exclusives that interest me, without having to get XBOX hardware.

Last edited:

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
TBH, Greg has been pretty low on PS for a while now, and pretty high on Nintendo and Xbox. It's annoying because PS is probably at it's highest point in years now, while MS is pretty much at the bottom as far as quality goes. He's judging MS based on what they're promising to bring to the table, but they haven't really done anything yet to deserve any praise.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
TBH, Greg has been pretty low on PS for a while now, and pretty high on Nintendo and Xbox. It's annoying because PS is probably at it's highest point in years now, while MS is pretty much at the bottom as far as quality goes. He's judging MS based on what they're promising to bring to the table, but they haven't really done anything yet to deserve any praise.

Game Pass is pretty incredible and worth praise. Same for the adaptive controller.

Now as far as the games go.. not so much.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thoroughly disappointed with Andrea's defense of Anthem with what seemed to be minimizing significant issues with the game other players have had. Her approach of attacking players that didn't know how to do combos was particularly alarming. Her expectation that you should have known about it from previews (because the game completely disregards telling you about it) was a ludicrous defense.
Someone paid by the company defending game from said company? How entirely unsurprising.

It was frankly too much.

Most of the time I can't take them seriously when it comes to games analysis.
I still listen to KFGD but as soon as they try to get a little deeper I really can't anymore.

Sadly, it does make me wonder where the line between real opinions and not wanting to piss off companies lies.
So perfectly put. I don't envy them for having to find this balance at all. But as a consumer, its hard not to be a pessimist.

Last edited:

mickdundee96

Nov 23, 2017
I dig pretty much most of Kinda Funny but Frandrea's analysis of Anthem over the last month or so and Jareds (love him) refusal to talk E.A makes me think that there may be close ties to them over there. I'm not invested either way as big budget E.A games are not my thing,

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dig pretty much most of Kinda Funny but Frandrea's analysis of Anthem over the last month or so and Jareds (love him) refusal to talk E.A makes me think that there may be close ties to them over there. I'm not invested either way as big budget E.A games are not my thing,
For any of my problems with Jared I appreciate the fact that he recused himself from a conversation where a conflict of interest may have been present.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Jared recusing himself was the right thing to do.

Andrea and Fran like these co-op games and have been praising them for years while others shit on them. They assumed it's gonna be the same with Anthem, where people hate on it while many enjoy it. What they didn't realize is that Anthem is way behind Destiny, Division, etc in terms of quality. So their defense was premature and was being defensive for the sake of being defensive.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Theres a reason I wasn't thrilled Fran joined the team and this was exactly it. He was the pro bungie crusader with destiny and no matter how wrong they were he would try hand waving it away or excusing it. Its ok to like a game and call it for its problems.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Theres a reason I wasn't thrilled Fran joined the team and this was exactly it. He was the pro bungie crusader with destiny and no matter how wrong they were he would try hand waving it away or excusing it. Its ok to like a game and call it for its problems.

Fran definitely fits right in with they're tastes that is for sure.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love how people keep saying they're having fun as if anyone is telling them that's not allowed. Criticism is not proscribing enjoyment.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen many get chastised online for saying they are having fun with either Anthem or Crackdown 3, that definitely shouldn't happen and people should be left to enjoy whatever they like. At the same time, I've seen the having "Fun" argument being used in review threads or critical discussions to invalidate reviews or criticism, that's also not appropriate.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I love how people keep saying they're having fun as if anyone is telling them that's not allowed. Criticism is not proscribing enjoyment.

Uhh have you seen this thread. Unrelated from Andrea's recent criticism handwaving, Greg gets flak for that in this very thread. Remember Fallout 76? He never said the criticisms were invalid, he never said there weren't problems and glitches, he just said he himself didnt run into a ton of things and was enjoying the game despite its problem. And he got flak for that anyway.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Uhh have you seen this thread. Unrelated from Andrea's recent criticism handwaving, Greg gets flak for that in this very thread. Remember Fallout 76? He never said the criticisms were invalid, he never said there weren't problems and glitches, he just said he himself didnt run into a ton of things and was enjoying the game despite its problem. And he got flak for that anyway.
Who was saying he wasnt allowed to enjoy it?

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Where you here for the Fallout 76 discussions?

My point is him liking the game and not having super negative impressions like the general populace brought up problems here.

The thing with FO76 is that they brought it up in multiple episodes and it is to this day an utterly broken game that had at the time below 50MC score.
I take issue for praising a broken game multiple times. Then it turned out that Greg only played it for 12 hours then dropped it becuase he got bored, so I don't know what was the point of bringing it up at the time?

I will be honest, if 3-4 episodes of gamescast had major Anthem discussion in them, then that's a waste of time dedicated to a mediocre game.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You're allowed to enjoy flawed games, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that and I do it all the time. My problem is that when they encounter a situation like this they really do gloss over the issues. Greg will say "Yeah some other people are having these issues. I personally haven't encountered them." and will just continue praising the game. On one hand, I love that KF is so positive about games because lord knows the industry needs it. On the other hand, it's annoying that they never seem to get very critical of a game. When was the last time somebody went in on a game at KF? Greg with Red Dead I guess, but that was more him saying the game wasn't for him.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Last week it was Goldfarb. Now, today Sean Finnegan has announced he's leaving IGN. He's been quite helpful to KF since early on. I could see him becoming a part-timer. He seemed to fit it nicely on Screencast yesterday (strange timing... or was it a trial run?). Plus (while I know people have railed on Greg for his praise of XBOX), Sean is a bonafide XBOX guy. So, if he joins the Gamescast you'd have a four-person team comprised of Greg (who covered PlayStation for years (I know, I know... some of you think he's soured on them)), Tim (KF's Mr. Nintendo), Fran (the PC guy), and Sean (the XBOX guy).

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously I'm fine with Andrea loving Anthem, the irritating part is that she claims the critical reception is merely due to some launch bugs, which is very clearly not true at all.

I also don't like the assertion that it's acceptable for games to be messes at alaunch. Just because they're online doesn't mean they're exempt from criticism when they're bad.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Last week it was Goldfarb. Now, today Sean Finnegan has announced he's leaving IGN. He's been quite helpful to KF since early on. I could see him becoming a part-timer. He seemed to fit it nicely on Screencast yesterday (strange timing... or was it a trial run?). Plus (while I know people have railed on Greg for his praise of XBOX), Sean is a bonafide XBOX guy. So, if he joins the Gamescast you'd have a four-person team comprised of Greg (who covered PlayStation for years (I know, I know... some of you think he's soured on them)), Tim (KF's Mr. Nintendo), Fran (the PC guy), and Sean (the XBOX guy).

I don't know a lot about him (other than he likes hiking) but wasn't Finnegan more of a behind the scenes guy at IGN? More of a Kevin than a Greg or Tim? Would they really want to have someone from that sort of background come straight into GC as a permanent member? Or am I totally off base there?

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017

I absolutely don't want to discredit someone's opinion and right to have fun with a game... that's great.

But it's just entirely unsurprisingly coming from Greg and especially after listening to all of the thoughtful criticism from giantbomb, waypoint, skillup, etc. it just feels like we won't be hearing a discussion that addresses the root issues of the game from Kinda Funny.

That's fine of course again, but it's just how it is.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I don't know a lot about him (other than he likes hiking) but wasn't Finnegan more of a behind the scenes guy at IGN? More of a Kevin than a Greg or Tim? Would they really want to have someone from that sort of background come straight into GC as a permanent member? Or am I totally off base there?
He has been on fireteam chat a lot (destiny show) with Fran

Chomp Chomp

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Sean will definitely fit in, one more person that basically loves loot based co-op games ;)