• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I could see them to do that, especially to reveal before Microsoft fully unveils their next Xbox/line of hardware. It'd be interesting if they only held one primary event this year towards the latter part of 2019 and it was just a smörgåsbord of new info (I suppose that'd be slightly unrealistic though because I don't think Sony has any first party games officially lined up for that second half).

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
This got a chuckle out of me

When Kinda Funny announce a world tour

lntkbw63cqj21.jpg

Squirt

Oct 28, 2017
The KF 4.0 has been a fail for me. Morning show was a much better format.

The internet explorer stuff are just fun clips for 1 hour which gets tiring really fast.
Debatable is just who can shout the loudest with most topics being boring basic pop culture stuff .
In review disappoints as well. The superhero fatigue is real and FF franchise is just a more boring version of superhero movies. The potential Mission impossible and DC in Review just scream boredom for me.
Screencast again only mostly covers the basic boring pop culture stuff. Marvel this week, DC next week. I don't give a crap about what they watched that week because they are most likely gonna be b-tier soup drama shows or fake ass reality TV.

I'm just not a fan of all the regurgitated Marvel, DC superhero content. It just feels like all KF knows are these mainstream, talked to death boring pop culture TV and movies. There are plenty of coverage for these shows and movies on the internet. Why would I watch KF when there are better alternatives?

They only play mainstream big title games and watch big superhero films. Their content are centered around these and I feel more and more disinterested in their content.

pretty much my thoughts. I was excited for 4.0, but after listening to a few episodes of each, I'm a fan of none. I tried. Games Daily is it for me right now.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still excusing games releasing incomplete. Unbelievable.

A game releasing with a few non-gamebreaking bugs is not the same as releasing without a full content suite to match the price.

Also the argument that online games shouldn't be reviewed on release date is total utter bullshit.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Just when I thought their Anthem discussion couldn't get any worse, the gamecast happened.

They started discussing why people are not liking it and even being more dismissal towards criticism. Andrea getting mad and making things a little awkward.
Vanilla Destiny was criticized Andrea, it had low score as well. Also vanilla Destiny or any other Destiny were not even close to being as buggy as Anthem.
Then calling out the subreddit thread, what a great idea.
Andy is discussing schadenfreude, while true it does happen with EA but they just released Apex to great acclaim. Maybe the game is a disappointment?
I liked Andromeda, I'm not gonna say it's not a disappointment. I had Anthem in my top 10 most anticipated games here on Era.

This gamecast has been amateur hour. Even by my low opinion of Kinda Funny critical ability they managed to go below that.

Side note, while this place is getting called negative and it is, I'm glad there aren't many people here try to shut down the criticism. KF has encouraged and conditioned their fanbase to do that everywhere else in the name of "be to nice each other". Like yeah people should be nice to each other and to KF members but shutting down discussion of their content has been too common. The subreddit is all memes, the Facebook group doesn't discuss KF content because the "best friends" will come down hard and shut it down, and no one wants to discuss stuff on Youtube comments.

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Interesting how they did not call industry people like James Duggan and Agry Joe negative, hater or toxic but apparently people on the internet are, despite saying the exact same things.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Andrea's argument about the day one patch thing with Anthem makes no sense.

I think she just worded it poorly but I can kind of see what she was getting at. With games like Destiny, Anthem etc. day one reviews are kind of meaningless now as the version of the game that's being reviewed literally doesn't exist anymore. It's the same with every online focused game I think - they change over time and so initial reviews are becoming less and less relevant. And it applies specifically to Anthem because a version of the game was available for people to buy a whole week before "launch".

What I disagree with is the notion that reviewers should need to take that into account when putting out a review - places like IGN are going to need something up on day/week one and the person writing it can only review what's in front of them. They shouldn't have to consider whether there'll be patches on day one or day 100; they should review what they played.

So I think Andrea's point on Gamescast was correct but her conclusion was slightly off - I imagine that comes from not having a background in old-school games media like Greg and Fran have.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Just when I thought their Anthem discussion couldn't get any worse, the gamecast happened.

They started discussing why people are not liking it and even being more dismissal towards criticism. Andrea getting mad and making things a little awkward.
Vanilla Destiny was criticized Andrea, it had low score as well. Also vanilla Destiny or any other Destiny were not even close to being as buggy as Anthem.
Then calling out the subreddit thread, what a great idea.
Andy is discussing schadenfreude, while true it does happen with EA but they just released Apex to great acclaim. Maybe the game is a disappointment?
I liked Andromeda, I'm not gonna say it's not a disappointment. I had Anthem in my top 10 most anticipated games here on Era.

This gamecast has been amateur hour. Even by my low opinion of Kinda Funny critical ability they managed to go below that.

Side note, while this place is getting called negative and it is, I'm glad there aren't many people here try to shut down the criticism. KF has encouraged and conditioned their fanbase to do that everywhere else in the name of "be to nice each other". Like yeah people should be nice to each other and to KF members but shutting down discussion of their content has been too common. The subreddit is all memes, the Facebook group doesn't discuss KF content because the "best friends" will come down hard and shut it down, and no one wants to discuss stuff on Youtube comments.

The story around Apex though was definitely focused on Respawn and how they mentioned EA didnt have influence over it.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like with the addition of Fran, now having two loud and domineering personalities (him and Andrea), GaaS/loot shooter coverage is heavily overrepresented.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like with the addition of Fran, now having two loud and domineering personalities (him and Andrea), GaaS/loot shooter coverage is heavily overrepresented.
It really is. GaaS games are meaningless to me.

It makes sense if you're thinking about the consumer reading reviews and not "Anthem doesn't deserve this pass!"
I don't care what Anthem deserves. The reality is these games will always be changing so reviews will never last. It's up to the reviewer when to review it, and they have every right to do so during launch week.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah I'm not crazy about Fran being on the gamecast because of how that's going to impact the types of games they talk about.
Nothing against the guy personally of course.

But now Tim is the only one that still mentions stuff that I care about. The rest of the time it's just a GaaS podcast. Jared would always bring up some random old thing I had never heard of and I thought that was cool.

That being said, Fran has actually been the most measured one in the Anthem discussions I think. He was very visibly trying to avoid hyperbole and was never particularly dismissive about other people's complaints.

Still, if they're planning on hiring someone new, it'd be nice if it was someone with a different palate.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
It really is. GaaS games are meaningless to me.

I don't care what Anthem deserves. The reality is these games will always be changing so reviews will never last. It's up to the reviewer when to review it, and they have every right to do so during launch week.

Don't know the case for Anthem, but with how big day 1 patches tend to be for some if these games, it's not a "nonsensical" request. These review places have every right to keep being more and more irrelevant to consumers then I guess 🤔. "Review outlets shouldn't have to build their schedules around the changing industry" welp.

Look there's no easy answer but saying Andrea's point simply makes no sense seems a bit a bit off base to me.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know the case for Anthem, but with how big day 1 patches tend to be for some if these games, it's not a "nonsensical" request. These review places have every right to keep being more and more irrelevant to consumers then I guess 🤔. "Review outlets shouldn't have to build their schedules around the changing industry" welp.

Look there's no easy answer but saying Andrea's point simply makes no sense seems a bit a bit off base to me.
I didn't say it makes no sense that reviews become irrelevant over time. Of course they do. That's not the reviewer's fault though, that's the publisher's fault for putting out games that suck at launch. If you ask reviewers to not review at launch, then why should anyone purchase at launch?

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say it makes no sense that reviews become irrelevant over time. Of course they do. That's not the reviewer's fault though, that's the piblisher's fault for putting out games that suck at launch. If you ask reviewers to not review at launch, then why should anyone purchase at launch?
Exactly. These games should not be launching in a state where they need gigantic patches to break an 8/10. If their publishers and their fans don't want these games to get branded with 7s, 6s, 5s, etc then they need to stop launching (and fans stop supporting games that launch) in incomplete and broken states.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The idea that games should be rerevirwed, or a grace period should be given to because the game at launch isnt the same game today is absurd on so many levels. For one that could be said of every single game released the last two generations. Where is this suggestion for that over the past two generations and why is it only with anthem were seeing this discourse arise? And further they want to stress that while its disappointing that gaas games come out broken but it's the reality of the business, think about that reality from a reviewers perspective. No way is there a reality where they can re-review every update or fix for every game in order to keep up with the most current version. Why it gets a pass for game development but not here is odd.

I find it incredibly problematic that the crux of their anthem discussion however has been essentially a backlash to the backlash. So much of it is just them talking about how unfair the criticisms are of the game or how people are telling them they cant have fun with it, and virtually suggesting everyone on the internet that doesnt like the game either views it as a 0 out of 10 is bs.

Theres a serious argument people who dont like the game have about not excusing a game like this because that's how it becomes acceptable for publishers. Hell even bioware themselves said as much before release when their pre reviews suggested it was a 7/10. Their discussion amounts to little more than hand waving stuff, saying they're having fun, and acting like anyone who has a problem with the game being broken wants no one to enjoy it or tall about its positives when that's just not the case. People just want to stop letting publishers release broken games.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't say it makes no sense that reviews become irrelevant over time. Of course they do. That's not the reviewer's fault though, that's the publisher's fault for putting out games that suck at launch. If you ask reviewers to not review at launch, then why should anyone purchase at launch?

I'm talking about Andrea's point "making no sense". I was replying to both of your comments and your post seemed to agree with his and piggyback off it.

Part of the ongoing discussion around the gaming community is that people shouldnt be buying these games at launch. Also, weren't a lot of reviews not ready by launch anyway? It's not like much of the review scene isn't already adjusting to this on some level.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
The one thing that has bothered me from the beginning is not just the acceptance but the embracement of mediocrity that they sometimes have for their own shows. The whole garbage truck on fire thing. It reminds me of kids in high school that would brag about getting a C+ even though they didn't study. Like cool, good for you, way to not have higher expectations for yourself?

I really appreciated Fran opening the Gamescast and sort of admitting that it didn't go as well as he hoped and he went over to the subreddit to rectify it. But the other 3 stop him every sentence to tell him he did fine and to screw the comments. I get it, you want to defend your friend and that's totally fine.

What bugged me was Fran said around the 5 min mark that the podcast review was loose and they went into it with no plan or idea how it would go or what they would cover and that's why it didn't work out so well and Tim interrupts, looks into the camera with a big smile and says "and that's what Kinda Funny reviews are" with a thumbs up.

That's what gets on my nerves. I don't like how they can come off like they're happy to only give 50%. Meanwhile I started watching the giant bomb 1 hour video review and right off the bat Brad is like "yeah I have 4-5 pages of notes here to go over". Someone who gives a shit. It's a nice change of pace.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
That's why Easy Allies feel much better for me. They have people with a variety of tastes. They have MMO people, non-Nintendo Japanese games people and fighting games people etc.

Too bad they blared a horn in my ear halfway into podcasts. Dumped that shit real fast. Also they were too sterile.

I generally enjoy that KF keeps most things on a positive aspect.

I listen to Castle Super Beast for my negative shit lord humor.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I think andrea is just doubling down and doesn't want to admit she was wrong about anthem.
She wouldn't be this way about other games that launched broken i'd hope.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
"Consoles brick all the time" "it could be Anthem's fault or it could be not"
Great quotes from today's KFGD

Andrea had a crash on every single PS4 game she played? like really lol

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dont think being critical of their approach to this game is being toxic or negative. Its not like it's a binary like the game (positive) hate the game (negative).

"Consoles brick all the time" "it could be Anthem's fault or it could be not"
Great quotes from today's KFGD

Andrea had a crash on every single PS4 game she played? like really lol
And apparently this is an average game meaning this type of thing happens on average to all games. Would love to see her opinion on reviews being updated and reflecting the console brick. Worse was when Andy brought up apex in comparison to anthem, a game that breaks your console.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one thing that has bothered me from the beginning is not just the acceptance but the embracement of mediocrity that they sometimes have for their own shows. The whole garbage truck on fire thing. It reminds me of kids in high school that would brag about getting a C+ even though they didn't study. Like cool, good for you, way to not have higher expectations for yourself?

I really appreciated Fran opening the Gamescast and sort of admitting that it didn't go as well as he hoped and he went over to the subreddit to rectify it. But the other 3 stop him every sentence to tell him he did fine and to screw the comments. I get it, you want to defend your friend and that's totally fine.

What bugged me was Fran said around the 5 min mark that the podcast review was loose and they went into it with no plan or idea how it would go or what they would cover and that's why it didn't work out so well and Tim interrupts, looks into the camera with a big smile and says "and that's what Kinda Funny reviews are" with a thumbs up.

That's what gets on my nerves. I don't like how they can come off like they're happy to only give 50%. Meanwhile I started watching the giant bomb 1 hour video review and right off the bat Brad is like "yeah I have 4-5 pages of notes here to go over". Someone who gives a shit. It's a nice change of pace.

Yeah they're so vanilla. The Giant Bomb Anthem discussion podcast shows how unorganized it is. A review is supposed to be critical and formal or at least try to be, but KF's always ends up being more on the impressions side. Which is ok, just don't call it a review.

Deleted member 5322

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about Andrea's point "making no sense". I was replying to both of your comments and your post seemed to agree with his and piggyback off it.

Part of the ongoing discussion around the gaming community is that people shouldnt be buying these games at launch. Also, weren't a lot of reviews not ready by launch anyway? It's not like much of the review scene isn't already adjusting to this on some level.
It makes no sense because the review is a document of the game more or less on day one. The difference between the day 1 version and the pre-release version (which by the way they charged extra to let people play) is negligible, it's still the same console-bricking $60 game minus a couple bugs and plus a couple other tweaks. Essentially what she's saying is no one should be able to review DMCV ahead of its inevitable day one patch (I don't know that it will actually get one, but you know what I mean). The review stands as a document of the critic's opinion of the game's first day *in general*, and its timestamp reflects that. This is what EA/BioWare want people to spend $60 on today (before the end of the fiscal year, no less) and it should be appraised today accordingly. Note that this in no way precludes reviews of the of the state game later; in fact I think as games as a service becomes more prevalent that seems a welcome premise.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
It makes no sense because the review is a document of the game more or less on day one. The difference between the day 1 version and the pre-release version (which by the way they charged extra to let people play) is negligible, it's still the same console-bricking $60 game minus a couple bugs and plus a couple other tweaks. Essentially what she's saying is no one should be able to review DMCV ahead of its inevitable day one patch (I don't know that it will actually get one, but you know what I mean). The review stands as a document of the critic's opinion of the game's first day *in general*, and its timestamp reflects that. This is what EA/BioWare want people to spend $60 on today (before the end of the fiscal year, no less) and it should be appraised today accordingly. Note that this in no way precludes reviews of the state game later; in fact I think as games as a service becomes more prevalent that seems a welcome premise.

Again, I haven't looked into the case for anthem, but day 1 patches aren't always "negligible", therefore it is not a nonsensical request.

Reviewers can do what they want, but if they end up being less and less relevant to the consumer because of having a review on day 1 that isn't indicative of the day 1 experience for nearly the entire average consumer base, then uhh... yeah 😬

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's a day 1 patch that radically altered a game, just for a point of reference?

And even in those scenarios, it clearly wasnt the case with anthem, whose patches are thus far making it worse. So why is it that anthem is getting this argument when there are ostensibly games that have been radically different with a day 1 patch? Of all games anthem seems to be the least deserving of this type of defense.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Again, I haven't looked into the case for anthem, but day 1 patches aren't always "negligible", therefore it is not a nonsensical request.

Reviewers can do what they want, but if they end up being less and less relevant to the consumer because of having a review on day 1 that isn't indicative of the day 1 experience for nearly the entire average consumer base, then uhh... yeah 😬
Then uhh what? Reviewers have to support their business and blindly waiting for the game to hopefully someday get better makes no sense for most of them to do. Though of course they can if they want. You seem to only be interested in consumers buying the game months after release, but there are plenty of people interested in buying the game day 1 and they need reviews too.

Deleted member 5322

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You are assuming that the trajectory for Anthem is only up from here, when with two failures back to back from this studio we have no reason to assume this game will receive much of a long-tail.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017

Well isn't it obvious? If it's not indicative of the day 1 product and they're puttin it out there as a day 1 review, I'd imagine that couldn't be good for their credibility in the eyes of consumers. Wouldn't help this whole relevancy situation for that side of the games press. Not sure if that would be the best move for their business in terms of overall goodwill at least.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Kinda Funny completely missed the point of the criticisms of their Anthem "review". As usual. If you don't want to be held to the standards of a review, probably don't put REVIEW in your episode titles for clickbait.

I'm actually most confused by Greg's stance on Anthem. Multiple times he basically says that Anthem is just a fine or good game. But wait, I thought there were "too many amazing games these days to just play a good game"? Are you telling me that line is just bullshit and a way for you to handwave criticisms of you never playing anything new? Colour me shocked.

Maybe I'll stick with Gamescast until Days Gone comes out, but I am not enjoying this show anymore. The addition of Fran (and apparently Andrea?) means 90% of the talk is about GaaS, which I do not care about. Tim literally never plays anything. The overwhelming majority of episodes he'll speak for like 5 minutes throughout the whole show, and most of that is just his hosting schtick. They just don't cover enough games and not nearly with the depth I'd like. There are plenty of interesting games that have already released this year, but it feels like they've only covered Anthem, Apex, Tetris 99, Kingdom Hearts and Resident Evil.

I fucking hate this. You're a company with, what? 8 full-time employees now? Stop acting like its cute that you guys continually mess up very basic things that a one-person YouTube channel manages with ease. Is it too much to ask to have literally any of your producers pay attention to the show that they're producing? I'm genuinely curious what the people at KF do all day.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Eh, I would say that the reactions to that segment are maybe a bit much. They said this was bad news but they didn't have much info to go on aside from a few reports. I haven't been a fan of their Anthem coverage but this was just whatever.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Did the KF guys really not know you're supposed to brush your teeth for 2-3 minutes at a time? Or was that just for the sake of the ad read? lmao