• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
That basically it's OK because once at E3 the KF computer broke and he spent 24 hours in the studio trying to fix it. Not at all taking into account he's virtually a founder of the company at this point. And that his wife has done it before at ILM and that they knew what they signing up for.

Bloodarmz

Jul 11, 2018
Doesn't sound too different from what Greg says to be honest, so I'm not surprised. Anytime a crunch story comes up, Greg talks about how it's a passion based industry and you can't stop someone from working more.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
That basically it's OK because once at E3 the KF computer broke and he spent 24 hours in the studio trying to fix it. Not at all taking into account he's virtually a founder of the company at this point. And that his wife has done it before at ILM and that they knew what they signing up for.
That was one day... this weeks over a year period. Plus It is well known hollywood treats Visual Effects Artists like shit so that is not a good argument... at all.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I've been a little uncomfortable with their stance on crunch for a while to be honest. Like they all seem broadly against it whenever a new report comes out, but then you look at things like Andy constantly tweeting about working late from home, all of them talking about how much work they do, the amount of events they go to on weekends and stuff and I sort of wonder, how is this different from what video game companies are actually doing?

Like I'm sure Andy, for example, isn't "forced" to work until midnight on a Party Mode edit, but if it doesn't get done presumably he gets the blame for that. That certainly sounds like what happens at Bioware, Telltale, Epic etc. Okay the scale is different because they're a team of like 8 people, but overworking is overworking no matter where it is.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda Funny know all about the crunch, i mean, they sit on airplanes all the time to go to meet and greets! Hours upon hours!

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Yeah, I want to listen to their GoT review to hear her thoughts, but I also don't feel like their in review format works well for GoT. It's like we all just watched the episode, why are we going over it verbatim again? And 1.5 hours is a very large time sink.
Eh....I see it like this
My main GOT podcast is BaldMove networks coverage. But they only have a 20 minute insta-cast, their heavy cast is Tuesday.

KindaFunny is something to listen to on that Monday morning when you want to listen to anyone talk about the show. They are no Boars Gore and Swirds...but they pass the time.

But yeah they need to excuse Nick.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed. Gary tried to school him thankfully.
Yeah, and just to add, it has been theorized the reason Disney is remaking all these movies in Live Action as opposed to doing more animation is because Animators are Unionized and have to be treated well where as Visual Effects artists are not and therefore can be treated horribly. And knowing Disney it's probably accurate.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and just to add, it has been theorized the reason Disney is remaking all these movies in Live Action as opposed to doing more animation is because Animators are Unionized and have to be treated well where as Visual Effects artists are not and therefore can be treated horribly. And knowing Disney it's probably accurate.
Wow. That's shitty as all hell.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Kevin has just been a hot-take machine while being very uninformed.

It's like him trying to play that character who disagrees on stuff but somehow actually became that annoying guy who spews hot takes.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/aladdin-writer-unhappy-that-he-was-excluded-and-unpaid-for-disneys-live-action-remake-165286.html

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/01/lion-king-remake-residuals-credits

Here are a couple articles about writers. They won't be paid anything for the live action remakes of their og films.

Also, I hate the argument of "well blah blah blah also has to work long hours." Just becuase one industry treats people horribly does not mean all industries should be treated horribly. How about both VFX and Game Developers are treated well and don't have to work themselves to death?

Last edited:

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
So the Persona 4 Spoilercast is Joey, Barrett and someone from IGN and Gamespot. Am I going mad or was that some sort of stretch goal back in January meant to involve Greg?

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I've been a little uncomfortable with their stance on crunch for a while to be honest. Like they all seem broadly against it whenever a new report comes out, but then you look at things like Andy constantly tweeting about working late from home, all of them talking about how much work they do, the amount of events they go to on weekends and stuff and I sort of wonder, how is this different from what video game companies are actually doing?

Like I'm sure Andy, for example, isn't "forced" to work until midnight on a Party Mode edit, but if it doesn't get done presumably he gets the blame for that. That certainly sounds like what happens at Bioware, Telltale, Epic etc. Okay the scale is different because they're a team of like 8 people, but overworking is overworking no matter where it is.
It is very odd, and I've noticed this a lot too. Like they make fun of spending so much time working, but then they'll go and make broad statements of these companies incorporating the same type of culture. Maybe some of what they're saying about their work is a bit exaggerated, but still..

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Damn those Days Gone review scores have kinda bummed me out. My copies arriving today I think so I'm hoping I can enjoy it a bit, even if it's not up to Sony's recent standards.

I wonder if we'll get full impressions on KFGD or wait until GC tomorrow. Really interested to hear what Greg thinks; really seems like his sort of game but clearly it isn't that great.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Damn those Days Gone review scores have kinda bummed me out. My copies arriving today I think so I'm hoping I can enjoy it a bit, even if it's not up to Sony's recent standards.

I wonder if we'll get full impressions on KFGD or wait until GC tomorrow. Really interested to hear what Greg thinks; really seems like his sort of game but clearly it isn't that great.
It doesn't match up with previews but the game never looked that interesting to me so not that surprised. Hopefully you still find some fun in it though.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
It doesn't match up with previews but the game never looked that interesting to me so not that surprised. Hopefully you still find some fun in it though.

Yeah I never really thought it looked super interesting, but I was hoping it'd end up being in that Far Cry, 8/10 range. Sort of an enjoyable time waster.

It doesn't seem to reached that but I guess I'll probably play it until I get bored or something else comes along. I wonder if Greg even played more than a few hours given is stance on mediocre games and how there's no time to play them.

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
wow so are they going to finally talk about performance issues in a videogame ?

gotta listen to this then!

Last edited:

Bloodarmz

Jul 11, 2018
I had little interest in Days Gone, but I still thought it would get a Metacritic score of 80+ and sell a couple million copies. Surprised tbh.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
lmao

genuinely surprised Greg said he didn't like it

Game always looked meh to me personally

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
So the Persona 4 Spoilercast is Joey, Barrett and someone from IGN and Gamespot. Am I going mad or was that some sort of stretch goal back in January meant to involve Greg?
People were only looking forward to this because of Greg being involved.

Also, fucking LOL at people being like "Days Gone is a huge travesty to video games: 7/10". Are review scores that fucked up that a consensus 7/10 game is bad and a disappointment to people? Greg calling Days Gone a disappointment and citing "performance issues" as a reason is a laugh too, considering he handwaved them for Fallout 76.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Slight eh feeling when they downplay Epic Game Store making remarks about pc gaming when they are woefully uneducated about the matter and its effects it has on consumers, and announcing Andrea, Fran, Greg are the one hosting the Borderlands 3 pre and post show on Wednesday. Just feels like as they get more and more involved in the industry they become less willing to call out bad practices or simply handwave it cause it doesn't effect them.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
Wait wait wait wait. I'm listening to today's KFGD, and Barrett calls him out on not finishing P5 for the spoilercast, and makes a joke about him "needing" to play Days Gone. Greg then defends himself and says that it was his job to finish Days Gone, but like... shouldn't it be his job to finish P5 for the Spoilercast that all his fans want him on? What kind of sense does that make???

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Wait wait wait wait. I'm listening to today's KFGD, and Barrett calls him out on not finishing P5 for the spoilercast, and makes a joke about him "needing" to play Days Gone. Greg then defends himself and says that it was his job to finish Days Gone, but like... shouldn't it be his job to finish P5 for the Spoilercast that all his fans want him on? What kind of sense does that make???
Persona is like 100 hours. Days gone is like 30

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
Persona is like 100 hours. Days gone is like 30
It's not like he's starting from scratch though, he even says he's already put 30 hours into Persona 5, and tbh it can take anywhere from 70 to 100 to beat the story. The point I was trying to get across though was I'm sure he could have made the time to take the extra 40-70 in the 1+year timespan he had if he felt like it was his "job" to do so, but he didn't. And I suppose I don't necessarily understand why he doesn't when their viewers come like 90% from their core fans who have been wanting to hear his opinion on the game, who were then teased about a Spoilercast, and then realized that Greg still hadn't finished the game to be on it.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Even if Greg completely restarted the game and started fresh at the beginning of the year, if he just cut back on playing easy platinum trophy games and six hundred thousand GAAS he would have probably had more than enough time to finish it.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slight eh feeling when they downplay Epic Game Store making remarks about pc gaming when they are woefully uneducated about the matter and its effects it has on consumers, and announcing Andrea, Fran, Greg are the one hosting the Borderlands 3 pre and post show on Wednesday. Just feels like as they get more and more involved in the industry they become less willing to call out bad practices or simply handwave it cause it doesn't effect them.
Yeah this is really suspect.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Alternatively, do you guys really want a spoilercast from someone who didn't like the game enough to play even half of it?

Like I know it's Greg and people want his opinions on things but he clearly didn't like that game that much so why would everyone be clamouring to hear what he has to say about it? And if he's forced into finishing it for the purposes of the show, I doubt that'd change his mind much.

To be honest they should have just dropped the whole idea of the P5 spoilercast ages ago.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they will address this? It doesn't sit right with me at all.

I don't know why they take so many industry gigs. It's not like they are short of other revenue streams.

Giant Bomb for instance would never go near a hosting event like this.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will address this? It doesn't sit right with me at all.

I don't know why they take so many industry gigs. It's not like they are short of other revenue streams.

Giant Bomb for instance would never go near a hosting event like this.

To be fair im not saying its necessarily suspect or there is some sort of paid bias, its just very clear as time has gone on they have become way more I guess *more forgiving* which would happen if you hosted events, got invited to exclusive reveals ect ect. They have gotten closer to the industry and as a result feel more buddy buddy it has always been there with Greg coming from ign and having a very unique relationship with developers/publishers but as time goes on im less likely to take anything they say seriously when it comes to certain topics....Andrea and Greg often make me skip around the podcasts.

Last edited:

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
To be fair im not saying its necessarily suspect or there is some sort of paid bias, its just very clear as time has gone on they have become way more I guess *more forgiving* which would happen if you hosted events, got invited to exclusive reveals ect ect. They have gotten closer to the industry and as a result feel more buddy buddy it has always been there with Greg coming from ign and having a very unique relationship with developers/publishers but as time goes on im less likely to take anything they say seriously when it comes to certain topics....Andrea and Greg often make me skip around the podcasts.

I don't disagree with this, but I think there's another side to it too... I know Greg's talked before about how being a content creator himself has made him reassess putting out negativity. There's that realisation that, no matter how bad something is, there was probably a lot of people who put a lot of hard work into it, so just shitting all over it is just mean and unnecessary.

I think that's a large part of the reason why you don't see KF jumping on the bandwagon of shitting all over games like Fallout 76, Anthem, EGS etc. Because they know that real people are working on those things. I guess part of that comes from being creators themselves and part comes from being a bit buddy buddy with the industry.

But I do agree that they probably go too far with it and it sometimes looks like they're cutting out all negativity altogether; they just need to find that balance between calling out issues that genuinely need to be called out, while not jumping into the regular dog piling that happens in the industry.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Nick saying 'love your body' to Kevin and Andy calling him out on it and Nick's quick defense and then stare back at Andy and then the camera had me rolling.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Random side-note: I am playing Lego DC Super-Villains right now.
It has been a while since I last played a Lego game. (Lego Marvel 1 I think?)
I feel like DC Super-Villains is the fascinating result of dozens if not hundreds of talented developers trapped into repeating the same formula for the 100th time while still trying to be sneakily creative. The weird Platinum Games type boss fights are proof of that. And I kinda admire that attitude.

I knew Greg had done a voice for that game and... Honestly, he did a great job! When they get influencers / youtubers to do voices for games and movies in my country it's usually a recipe for disaster but in this particular case it worked out alright.