• The site will be down for scheduled maintenance this Friday the 24th at 2AM PST / 5AM EST / 9AM UTC while we perform a software update. We expect this process to take up to 5 hours. Thank you for your understanding and patience. New features will be included.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Kinda Funny |OT| A Baker's Dozen!

Oct 25, 2017
6,260
France
Colin was fucking terrible and PS I Love You was a sad shadow of Beyond. KF improved massively once they got rid of him.
For me, mid-2017 to 2018 was the sweet spot. Not perfect of course, but they were on the right track. And it all culminated with the Kinda Funny Game Showcase.
2019 has not been good at all because they just don't have the right people in the mix to balance each other out.
 
OP
OP
Calderc
Oct 25, 2017
1,355
Pokemon might well be the lamest thing in the fucking world to me so I look forward to them talking about it for the next month *groans*
 
As a diehard Pokémon fan, Detective Pikachu was okay. If you're a Pokémon fan it gets a few extra points, but without bias and just watching it purely as a movie it's just passable. No surprise Kinda Funny is treating it as the greatest thing to ever grace screens though.

Also, fucking LOL at Greg saying he's a Pokémon fan now. How the hell is he a Pokémon fan? You've never finished a single game, and that's not going to change just because you watched a movie. I guarantee you he will never beat Sword/Shield when it comes out. God these guys make me cringe.
 
May 15, 2018
512
Scotland
Kevin just called Tyrion Tyrone. Good lord. He's only been a character for a fucking decade.
I really don't find any of their name mix-ups with GoT charming at all. It was funny a couple of years ago. Now they have a fucking show dedicated to it and they're still getting names wrong for major characters. It's the first time I've really actually found Nick's shtick off-putting.
 
May 8, 2018
1,289
Kevin just called Tyrion Tyrone. Good lord. He's only been a character for a fucking decade.
This here is why I find them talking about writing and character developments ridiculous.

Kevin, you can't even remember Tyrion's name! So shut up about how you don't like the writing, because you probably can't remember what happened 3 episodes ago.
 
OP
OP
Calderc
Oct 25, 2017
1,355
Also after seeing the post on the subreddit about a Sea of Thieves Party Mode and Andy's comment, I get the feeling the lack of views on the PM episodes are to do with the shitty indie games they always pick. I get it's maybe an editing time frame kinda thing but you can't expect to rack up views with games like Ultimate Chicken Horse. I still love PM, don't get me wrong, it it could be SO MUCH better with a higher calibre of game.
 
Nov 4, 2017
388
Also after seeing the post on the subreddit about a Sea of Thieves Party Mode and Andy's comment, I get the feeling the lack of views on the PM episodes are to do with the shitty indie games they always pick. I get it's maybe an editing time frame kinda thing but you can't expect to rack up views with games like Ultimate Chicken Horse. I still love PM, don't get me wrong, it it could be SO MUCH better with a higher calibre of game.
That's partially why I stopped watching it, to be honest. Back when I was watching, all they played was party-style indie games that are clearly meant for cheap laughs (things like Nidhogg 2, Gang Beasts etc.) which was funny for a while but get old pretty quickly and just became an excuse for them to shout over each other. Would love to see them branch into other types of games that aren't necessarily party games (although I haven't really been keeping up so they may have already done that). They could even do single player games with one person playing and everyone else just watching; Funhaus do that and it seems to work for them. Although it sort of goes against the name of the show I suppose.
 
May 8, 2018
1,289
They could even do single player games with one person playing and everyone else just watching; Funhaus do that and it seems to work for them.
I've never been a fan of messing around and trying to be funny type of gameplay. It's like doing reaction to one episode of a TV show without ever watching the show.

I would love a premium let's play series similar to what Giant Bomb has. Their P4G and Yakuza 0 playthrough are great. But I know it won't happen with KF. Too busy travelling and re-watching Fast and Furious for the 100th time.
 
OP
OP
Calderc
Oct 25, 2017
1,355
That's partially why I stopped watching it, to be honest. Back when I was watching, all they played was party-style indie games that are clearly meant for cheap laughs (things like Nidhogg 2, Gang Beasts etc.) which was funny for a while but get old pretty quickly and just became an excuse for them to shout over each other. Would love to see them branch into other types of games that aren't necessarily party games (although I haven't really been keeping up so they may have already done that). They could even do single player games with one person playing and everyone else just watching; Funhaus do that and it seems to work for them. Although it sort of goes against the name of the show I suppose.
They did do that with Resident Evil 2 but I remember Andy saying on stream recently they wouldn't be doing any more unedited ones as he felt there was too much downtime. Can't say I agree with that.
 
lo and behold, Gamescast has an actual topic of discussion and it's the best episode in awhile.
To each their own, but this week's Gamescast was unbearable. 75% of it was them discussing Fortnite, Destiny 2, and The Division 2 AGAIN. The other 25% was them discussing games they want to play later in the year. Nothing about any of that is appealing to me.

They did do that with Resident Evil 2 but I remember Andy saying on stream recently they wouldn't be doing any more unedited ones as he felt there was too much downtime. Can't say I agree with that.
Wasn't one of their big 4.0 announcements that they were going to do unedited party modes of new single player games that were unedited? Did they really give up on it 1 video in?
 
OP
OP
Calderc
Oct 25, 2017
1,355
To each their own, but this week's Gamescast was unbearable. 75% of it was them discussing Fortnite, Destiny 2, and The Division 2 AGAIN. The other 25% was them discussing games they want to play later in the year. Nothing about any of that is appealing to me.


Wasn't one of their big 4.0 announcements that they were going to do unedited party modes of new single player games that were unedited? Did they really give up on it 1 video in?
...pretty much, yeah.
 
May 8, 2018
1,289
Greg is excited for Judgment because it has English dub so that he feels like he is watching a Yakuza movie.
That feels like a very contradicting statement for me. If you want the more "authentic" experience, English speaking Yakuza is not that at all.

Also the protagonist is such a big star, playing the game dubbed would be like watching a Tom Cruise movie dubbed in another language.

However, I'm not gonna gatekeep and am curious to see if Greg actually follows through with it. I spent around 55 hours and all the Yakuza games require you to play the side content to truly experience their greatness.
 
Nov 4, 2017
388
Wasn't one of their big 4.0 announcements that they were going to do unedited party modes of new single player games that were unedited? Did they really give up on it 1 video in?
Yeah what happened with that? I remember them announcing two new shows in January, but I've just looked and can find two Party Mode After Parties and one Pre-game. Is that actually all they did or are they Patreon exclusive or something?
 
Oct 27, 2017
3,215
To each their own, but this week's Gamescast was unbearable. 75% of it was them discussing Fortnite, Destiny 2, and The Division 2 AGAIN. The other 25% was them discussing games they want to play later in the year. Nothing about any of that is appealing to me.
Lmao this sounds like a meme at this point but they're still actually doing it.
 
May 1, 2018
167
It still breaks my heart when I think about what a bad response Jared got. He was my favorite person at IGN and when he started at Kinda Funny, I was so excited for the community to get to experience him, but they hated him. I get that his personality was different than Greg, Tim, Andrea, etc., but I think that's what made him so great. I know people ripped on him refusing to talk about EA stories, but looking back now, it's better than mindlessly praising them and leaving us to wonder if those are if his true thoughts.
 
Dec 3, 2017
875
It still breaks my heart when I think about what a bad response Jared got. He was my favorite person at IGN and when he started at Kinda Funny, I was so excited for the community to get to experience him, but they hated him. I get that his personality was different than Greg, Tim, Andrea, etc., but I think that's what made him so great. I know people ripped on him refusing to talk about EA stories, but looking back now, it's better than mindlessly praising them and leaving us to wonder if those are if his true thoughts.
Speaking as someone who loved Jared on IGN, I found him utterly intolerable on KF. Daemon Hatfield is a very professional host and would always reign Jared in whenever he went on ridiculous tangents during Scoop episodes, and he handled it in a way that actually made them a highlight of each episode. At KF it felt like they were unprepared for him, and just let him do his thing ad-nauseum, which meant every show he appeared on would be repeatedly derailed. There were times you could actually see Greg or Tim visibly roll their eyes as he was speaking, which was extremely uncomfortable to watch.
 
Oct 25, 2017
3,204
It still breaks my heart when I think about what a bad response Jared got. He was my favorite person at IGN and when he started at Kinda Funny, I was so excited for the community to get to experience him, but they hated him. I get that his personality was different than Greg, Tim, Andrea, etc., but I think that's what made him so great. I know people ripped on him refusing to talk about EA stories, but looking back now, it's better than mindlessly praising them and leaving us to wonder if those are if his true thoughts.
Jared was a breath of fresh air from the predictability of other hosts. I miss his insight and tangents.
 
Oct 25, 2017
4,800
Canada
Pokemon might well be the lamest thing in the fucking world to me so I look forward to them talking about it for the next month *groans*
For me it's GoT and Star Wars.
I fucking hate when these two get into gaming podcasts.
(not talking about Kinda Funny specifically, they don't clog up gaming podcasts with show talk)
 
May 15, 2018
512
Scotland
KF/AF has really started to fall into a worryingly stagnant pattern. Feels like they're really running out of ideas already. How many more snacks can you rank before you become a snack ranking show?
 
Oct 25, 2017
4,238
Bothell WA
KF/AF has really started to fall into a worryingly stagnant pattern. Feels like they're really running out of ideas already. How many more snacks can you rank before you become a snack ranking show?
Yeah, same thought today. Kinda need to inject something new as the 3rd segment every week to keep it fresh. I know that's easier said than done, but it needs to be done. Or at least have 4 rotating segments so you only get 1 a month.
 
Oct 25, 2017
1,110
I won't link the video here, as it's for Easy Allies patrons only, but in the most recent Cup of Jones episode Brandon Jones said that Greg and Tim will stop by the Easy Allies studio for the first time ever the Friday of E3 week.
 
Oct 27, 2017
225
Sorry to get into this back but I'm glad that Andrea and Fred apologized for their behavior. And I'm very excited for their KF Showcase at E3
Yea it’s a shame that they felt they needed to apologize because a forum overreacted to what they said and made a mountain out of a molehill. It was particularly funny that a bunch of longtime fans got banned for sticking up for them, yet once the apology came down everyone’s like “oh wow, yea, he seems like a good dude i guess we overreacted. “
 
Oct 27, 2017
888
Yea it’s a shame that they felt they needed to apologize because a forum overreacted to what they said and made a mountain out of a molehill. It was particularly funny that a bunch of longtime fans got banned for sticking up for them, yet once the apology came down everyone’s like “oh wow, yea, he seems like a good dude i guess we overreacted. “
Huh? Whose Fred? and what happened now?

how is no one anywhere talking about that juicy kfp

what a stale gooby ass fanbase
Just came out Thursday night, haven't had a chance to listen.
 
Oct 25, 2017
2,655
Yea it’s a shame that they felt they needed to apologize because a forum overreacted to what they said and made a mountain out of a molehill. It was particularly funny that a bunch of longtime fans got banned for sticking up for them, yet once the apology came down everyone’s like “oh wow, yea, he seems like a good dude i guess we overreacted. “
Lol. Not tired yet about getting upset on others deciding not to be assholes? Pathetic.