• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghornett

Nov 16, 2017
Curious, for this of you in here who don't enjoy the content anymore, why do you continue listening / watching?
It's become a part of my routine. Ive almost never missed a C&G Live or KFGD. Even if it's two shitty guests or whatever skeleton crew is running. Now that they moved the time I can watch live. Gamescast is just once a week so not as bad and the free feed drops Monday morning when I'm hungry for content. KFPrime hasn't been for me in a long time so I did give that up.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I mean read Andy's responses in that thread and you know you're right; it's just "thanks for listening, sorry the content doesn't vibe with you anymore". Like I appreciate that they can't be everything to everyone, but just brushing off legitimate concerns with "sorry you didn't like it" is frustrating.

This is their go-to response to people criticising their content and it's honestly fucking pathetic. They always act like there's absolutely nothing wrong with their content. Except for when they completely revamp all of their content every January 4 and basically say "whoops, our content actually really sucked, but we're totally going to fix it this time! We swear! Also, please give us like $100k because that's how much needed to make out content not be bad."

This company never addresses a single criticism. How many years have people been telling them that all their travelling affects their content? Yet, they've still never had a single response to it.

Curious, for this of you in here who don't enjoy the content anymore, why do you continue listening / watching?

Can't bring myself to stop. Started listening in about 2011 and Colin & Greg are the reason I decided to go into journalism. Greg is literally partly responsible for the job I have now. Beyond was something so special, and when GameOverGreggy started and evolved into Kinda Funny I was hyped and satisfied with the content for years. Unfortunately, Greg and the gang have changed a lot recently, and in my opinion, it's for the worst. However, I still can't bring myself to wash myself of them completely.

Oct 25, 2017
Boy, KFG took a massive beating in youtube subs the past month, especially the past 2 weeks. Don't even know why. Like, probably a year of gains wiped out?

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Boy, KFG took a massive beating in youtube subs the past month, especially the past 2 weeks. Don't even know why. Like, probably a year of gains wiped out?

I wanna say that whole recent controvery, but I doubt it. It could just be how youtube cleans out subs sometimes. They might still have a very similar amount of active subs.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Thought I just read (in OT) about YouTube changing how they display the sub numbers? Didn't know when it was supposed to start though.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I kind of fell off in the past year once I found podcasts that actually go in depth with discussion about games rather than having a bunch of gaas convos and people trying something for a few hours and then dropping it. Kf doesnt really have a diverse enough crew when it comes to taste in games either. At this point they're just hype men and if that's working for them great but without good in depth gaming discussion it's easy to drop from my weekly rotation of podcasts. Havent unsubbed tho.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I kind of fell off in the past year once I found podcasts that actually go in depth with discussion about games rather than having a bunch of gaas convos and people trying something for a few hours and then dropping it. Kf doesnt really have a diverse enough crew when it comes to taste in games either. At this point they're just hype men and if that's working for them great but without good in depth gaming discussion it's easy to drop from my weekly rotation of podcasts. Havent unsubbed tho.
Listening to Splitscreen and Waypoint Radio made Gamescast look so poor in comparison. They cover so many games in interesting ways and with depth. I couldn't have cared less about Sekiro as FromSoft games are like the complete antithesis of what I want from gaming. Despite this, I still listened to every second of discussion from those two podcasts. You realise how surface-level Kinda Funny is on everything as soon as you ranch out even a little.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Listening to Splitscreen and Waypoint Radio made Gamescast look so poor in comparison. They cover so many games in interesting ways and with depth. I couldn't have cared less about Sekiro as FromSoft games are like the complete antithesis of what I want from gaming. Despite this, I still listened to every second of discussion from those two podcasts. You realise how surface-level Kinda Funny is on everything as soon as you ranch out even a little.
Waypoint is so good. Natalie leaving is a huge bummer but their content has just totally made KF null and void for me. I check in here all the time to see if theres something I should check out now rather than having KF on my everyday rotation because at this point it just feels like I know what theyre going to say everyday. And I mean how could they really give in depth discussions on a wide variety of games when they dont play a wide variety of games and the games they do play they play for a few hours, put on the "ill come back to it but never will" category, and move on. I think theyre just going for a different audience.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Waypoint is so good. Natalie leaving is a huge bummer but their content has just totally made KF null and void for me. I check in here all the time to see if theres something I should check out now rather than having KF on my everyday rotation because at this point it just feels like I know what theyre going to say everyday. And I mean how could they really give in depth discussions on a wide variety of games when they dont play a wide variety of games and the games they do play they play for a few hours, put on the "ill come back to it but never will" category, and move on. I think theyre just going for a different audience.
Yeah, but that is waypoint's whole schtick. To deep dive into games and look at angles other outlets don't.

ghornett

Nov 16, 2017
I really like how Splitscreen talks about old games and their backlog games fairly regularly. Not just constantly jumping to the next thing.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Anyone else find this thread really odd?

I've seen, at most, a handful of innocent jokes and the MW name and nothing really malicious, but Greg seems to have taken it to heart for some reason? Comparing it to crunch culture at the end isn't a great look either.

Edit: Gary Whitta is a national treasure:

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I saw that earlier. What an odd take on the Modern Warfare name leak today.

It's a dog pile on devs because people are making fun of a stupid naming convention, really?

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
''I feel like hundreds of devs just had their surprise ruined and are being beaten in the streets without being able to tell you their vision. That sucks. I hate that we're an industry that wants a better life for our creators on Monday but then want to rip apart their work when we know nothing about it on Friday. ''

what?

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I saw someone post an image of the timestamp notes for the latest GoG. I saw they talk about Detective Pikachu. I get excited.

I hurry to my subscription feed, select the podcast, and what do I see? Greg isn't on the FUCKING episode.

Last edited:

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
What a fucking bizarre hill for Greg to die on. People dunk on developers whenever they do silly stuff like this. Heck, I guarantee if you go back you can find Greg making fun of something exactly like this.

Haven't listened yet, but it seems 90% of this week's KF Podcast is just them talking TV and movies. Isn't this what Screencast is for? I thought I'd finally escaped their wack ass film opinions when that show started.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
What a fucking bizarre hill for Greg to die on. People dunk on developers whenever they do silly stuff like this. Heck, I guarantee if you go back you can find Greg making fun of something exactly like this.

Haven't listened yet, but it seems 90% of this week's KF Podcast is just them talking TV and movies. Isn't this what Screencast is for? I thought I'd finally escaped their wack ass film opinions when that show started.

Tim and Greg aren't there to talk about their flights for 90 minutes so what else could they possibly talk about

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
I can't remember specific names but I know there are a few people that moved over from Naughty Dog to Infinity Ward a few years back. My guess is that Greg personally knows some of these people from back then and they vented to him. It seems out of character for him to be this upset about leaks given that (from what I remember) Greg was totally cool with the Walmart Canada leak last year and had fun covering it and speculating about it on kfgd.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Started listening to that Kotaku podcast on the recommendation of people here. God what a breath of fresh air after recent KFGCs... who knew in depth, interesting discussion on video games was possible?

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
I've been loving Tim's Disney World tweets. Hopefully he's back in time for the next KFP. That will be a great segment. He seems to be (unsurprisingly) greatly enjoying his time there.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
In the most recent episode of Retro Replay (the Uncharted playthrough), Troy Baker is repping KF with the KF Pride shirt designed by Andy.

Also, if you haven't been watching it, the Uncharted playthrough with Troy and Nolan has been great.

Oct 25, 2017
I miss Beyond.

Not that I like Colin these days, but the show was focus with the main hosts giving a fuck.

You have no idea. PSILY was also really good. Not as good as beyond, but I thought it could really grow into something. I really don't want to beat a dead horse, but they have lost double digit subscribers on their youtube channel every day for over 2 weeks and the weeks before that weren't hot either.

I love KF, but there needs to be some sort of shakeup on KFG? Maybe the Patrons are happy, but its clear the subscribers on the channel are not. The last thing I want to see them do is get smaller. Dunno, maybe I'm looking too much into subs? Maybe they don't matter? I have no idea.

I trust Greg and the gang, so I'm sure they know more than me.

Its just I get enjoyment out of watching my favourite channels grow like Easy Allies, Mystic, and Kinda Funny. These smaller channels slowly growing.
And its just Kinda Funny Games stalling.

Not sure if they are looking to change things up? Should they even? What could they realistically do?

Last edited:

Karthane

Mar 20, 2018
You have no idea. PSILY was also really good. Not as good as beyond, but I thought it could really grow into something. I really don't want to beat a dead horse, but they have lost double digit subscribers on their youtube channel every day for over 2 weeks and the weeks before that weren't hot either.

I love KF, but there needs to be some sort of shakeup on KFG? Maybe the Patrons are happy, but its clear the subscribers on the channel are not. The last thing I want to see them do is get smaller. Dunno, maybe I'm looking too much into subs? Maybe they don't matter? I have no idea.

I trust Greg and the gang, so I'm sure they know more than me.

Its just I get enjoyment out of watching my favourite channels grow like Easy Allies, Mystic, and Kinda Funny. These smaller channels slowly growing.
And its just Kinda Funny Games stalling.

Not sure if they are looking to change things up? Should they even? What could they realistically do?

Graphtreon paints a bleak picture as well. Near an all time low for Patrons. However, the KF 4.0 changes made it so that if you contribute enough you can consolidate your patreon perks for Kf & KFG if you sub to just one of them. But I don't think a huge amount pledges $25 a month so I don't think that has a huge effect.

Oct 25, 2017
Graphtreon paints a bleak picture as well. Near an all time low for Patrons. However, the KF 4.0 changes made it so that if you contribute enough you can consolidate your patreon perks for Kf & KFG if you sub to just one of them. But I don't think a huge amount pledges $25 a month so I don't think that has a huge effect.

Yeah, I have no idea since everything is hidden on there.

It's just the whole Kinda Funny Games channel has just taken this turn. This downward turn.

It honestly bums me out. I know they'll be fine I hope, but I just wish for the best for them, and it just sucks to see one of my favourite youtube channels just hemorrhaging subscribers. If it was just a huge amount over 1 or 2 days, ok whatever.
But its just been this consistent number every day.

Dunno, maybe I'm reading too much into sub numbers.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka

Yeah this is me. I haven't listened since January. I want to every once in a while, because I like some of the personalities, and have loved it in the past, but I usually go towards other stuff.

They never quite got down having diverse enough tastes. I never expected them to have someone that likes everything. That wouldn't be necessary just for the sake of having it.
However, very often there was stuff that I was very interested in (and often wasnt niche), but nobody there seemed to care. Meanwhile, they're playing Friday the 13th a bunch or some other thing that I personally didnt resonate with (and didnt personally know anyone who did).

Also now I just dont understand their line up when I look at the feeds in the Podcasts app. I'm not sure which shows are which now. When I've tried to tune it live, the folks who were hosting werent who I was expecting, and maybe I also just wasnt feeling it that day.

I wish them success though, and I hope maybe soon I'll get around to getting back in. Not a patron anymore though, though I probably should havent stopped sooner since I wasnt listening/watching.

Not that I like Colin these days, but the show was focus with the main hosts giving a fuck.

Yeah, Colin almost made me stop listening years ago, but damn do I miss that well-focused PlayStation show.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017

Those graphs are super interesting... they've basically been consistently losing subscribers for around a year now. I don't think the consolidation in January can explain that away; clearly something is going wrong. Of course they could be earning the same amount or more off those people but since they don't reveal earnings we don't know.

Also any idea why there was a massive spike in numbers in December 2016? Can't remember anything in particularly happening around then which would cause that. Anyway they dropped right back down when Colin left.

Karthane

Mar 20, 2018
Those graphs are super interesting... they've basically been consistently losing subscribers for around a year now. I don't think the consolidation in January can explain that away; clearly something is going wrong. Of course they could be earning the same amount or more off those people but since they don't reveal earnings we don't know.

Also any idea why there was a massive spike in numbers in December 2016? Can't remember anything in particularly happening around then which would cause that. Anyway they dropped right back down when Colin left.

Was that when they did fund-raising via Patreon for the animated show?

EDIT: That wasn't it. Nevermind. Not sure, then.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I believe Jared was supposed to be their answer for the void Colin left behind: a super-passionate and knowledgeable gamer with niche tastes. However, Colin could still convey those thoughts respectfully and not completely derail a discussion, while Jared sadly couldn't speak to his passion without having to be reigned in every minute or two.

Either way, I don't care if it's unpopular to say...if they aren't going to find someone like Colin for the gaming side of things, they need him back (even if it's just for guest appearances). They never recovered from his loss, and things seem to be getting increasingly worse. Even the subreddit (i.e. their cheerleader squad) is voicing their dissatisfaction now.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would unsub so fast if that piece of shit came back. Dude is a blight on the industry and I'm glad hes relegated to the YouTube only platform for his shit. I dont care how passionate he is. On the other hand watching the shit storm that would be colin vs andrea would be amazing.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I would unsub so fast if that piece of shit came back. Dude is a blight on the industry and I'm glad hes relegated to the YouTube only platform for his shit. I dont care how passionate he is. On the other hand watching the shit storm that would be colin vs andrea would be amazing.

Same here, I even said so on Reddit and that was my most downvoted comment of all time.

Andrea calling him out about his stance on Mobile games was an all timer for me.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The only way Kinda Funny will begin growing again is if they stop directly appealing to the smallest audience possible. Everything they do is to please the very small subsection of fans who will give them money no matter what. This is smart because it means they'll always be financially viable. However, this intense focus means they're going to continue losing the rest of their audience. I remember when it was a serious anomaly to see a KF video with like 10k views, but these days we see it all the time. Back in the day, it was only GOG topics like "what is the best sandwich" that would perform that poorly. I wouldn't be surprised if a year from now they're doing like 5k views regularly.

You just need to take one look at their content to see why they're bleeding viewers every day. On Games Daily, they come to news topics with 0 knowledge, which is a huge turn off to most people. Gamescast is them just talking about The Division 2, Destiny 2 etc. ad nauseam. Literally nobody else in the industry is discussing these games anymore. The only people having conversations about them are those who have podcasts dedicated specifically to those franchises, and the people on those are 1000 times more knowledgable than Kinda Funny. Who the fuck is this content for? Party Mode has mostly become them just playing shitty indie games that look "funny". KF Podcast is them just talking about their travels and meet & greets. The only people who give a fuck about these stories are the diehard Patreon supporters. Almost all of their content is designed around those guys and girls who will never budge from their pledges ever.

Also, never forget the time Aisha Tyler made Colin look like a fucking child on GOG.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only way Kinda Funny will begin growing again is if they stop directly appealing to the smallest audience possible. Everything they do is to please the very small subsection of fans who will give them money no matter what. This is smart because it means they'll always be financially viable. However, this intense focus means they're going to continue losing the rest of their audience. I remember when it was a serious anomaly to see a KF video with like 10k views, but these days we see it all the time. Back in the day, it was only GOG topics like "what is the best sandwich" that would perform that poorly. I wouldn't be surprised if a year from now they're doing like 5k views regularly.

You just need to take one look at their content to see why they're bleeding viewers every day. On Games Daily, they come to news topics with 0 knowledge, which is a huge turn off to most people. Gamescast is them just talking about The Division 2, Destiny 2 etc. ad nauseam. Literally nobody else in the industry is discussing these games anymore. The only people having conversations about them are those who have podcasts dedicated specifically to those franchises, and the people on those are 1000 times more knowledgable than Kinda Funny. Who the fuck is this content for? Party Mode has mostly become them just playing shitty indie games that look "funny". KF Podcast is them just talking about their travels and meet & greets. The only people who give a fuck about these stories are the diehard Patreon supporters. Almost all of their content is designed around those guys and girls who will never budge from their pledges ever.
I don't think you'll ever be happy with their content.

Also, never forget the time Aisha Tyler made Colin look like a fucking child on GOG.
Ohh, what's this? Have a link?

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't think you'll ever be happy with their content.

Ohh, what's this? Have a link?

I used to be extremely happy with their content. Watched literally everything they put out. Greg and Co. would probably claim that it's me who has changed and not them, but I don't think that's the case.

Here. This was back before they broke it up topic by topic, so I can't exactly remember where it is. The basic gist (from memory) of it is that Colin goes off on one of his tangents that the other guys are either not smart enough to respond to, or just don't care enough to refute, but Aisha goes in on him. He ends up kinda lost for words, and it's a prime example of what happens to those "debate me" type guys when they actually get involved in a debate.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I used to be extremely happy with their content. Watched literally everything they put out. Greg and Co. would probably claim that it's me who has changed and not them, but I don't think that's the case.

Here. This was back before they broke it up topic by topic, so I can't exactly remember where it is. The basic gist (from memory) of it is that Colin goes off on one of his tangents that the other guys are either not smart enough to respond to, or just don't care enough to refute, but Aisha goes in on him. He ends up kinda lost for words, and it's a prime example of what happens to those "debate me" type guys when they actually get involved in a debate.
Will wait for time stamp because I don't want to listen to Colin anymore than I have to.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bingo. It's the same issue with their world tour.

You can't expect to grow a business when you cater to such a small laser focused audience of KoF fans.

What was great about Beyond and PSILoveU is the content in and of itself was great Playstation content irregardless if you were already in that small KoF group or not. You could get great insight into the Sony ecosystem from two people who really cared even if you didn't understand some of the inside jokes.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017

While I don't think I'd be as down on them as you are, I do agree with you overall; they've definitely honed in on the most hardcore fan base over the last year or so, whether intentionally or not.

It's weird because then they do things like the KF Showcase (which I think was one of the best things they've ever done) and all the hosting gigs that Greg does, which seem designed to bring new people in. But then the actual content is not designed for that at all, so they seem really conflicted about what they really want.

I wonder if a hard reset will ever happen or if they'll just continue to be happy with what they've got? Greg's always said he wants to be the next IGN or RT but at the moment the content they're making is moving them further away from that. So what's the solution?