• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017

This is an amazing achievement for them and potentially industry changing. A genuine grassroots video game showcase is pretty uncharted territory.

It'll be interesting to see if they swing any reveals from some more well known companies. I'm thinking someone like Double Fine, Devolver or Annapurna. Companies that may not have made the cut for The Game Awards.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Decided to sign back up to the KFG Patreon after listening to Greg on Beyond. Listening to him talk about old Beyond memories made me realise that I've been getting basically free entertainment off this guy for over a decade and the least I could do is give a little back...

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
This showcase is going to be worth watching.

I assume they're doing an "and it's available now!" thing for the Switch version then. It's due in December and Greg already said there's quite a few developers wanting to do that.

Also Gen's company is doing the marketing for the Switch version so that makes complete sense.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Greg Miller was on Podcast Beyond this week and dropped some details on the Games Showcase (Starts around 1:06:38).

https://youtu.be/tqA0Xkga2qs

Quick details:
- Looking to be around 2 hours long
- Will include both indies and AAA companies
- Appears to have around 50-60 games currently slated to appear
- Announcements, release dates and shadow drops all confirmed

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the 10/30 Games Daily the constant fellating of game streaming is so disconnected from the reality of gaming as a whole it's not even funny.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I was pretty disappointed too. It was underwhelming for a final 40 minute direct. Spirits mode looked bleh. Adventure mode returning is cool though. Way better than Sm4sh having nothing, but I reaaallyy wanted subspace emmissary, at least in terms of the platforming/adventure type element of it.

I don't really care about the leak itself sicne I wasn't familar with the characters except Shadow, but I am legit shocked it is fake lol.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tim's response was mine to a T. Like what a waste of a direct. None if that was newsworthy and all it really did was kill my hype.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
As someone who couldn't have cared less about the "leaks" (I never thought they were real tbh) that Direct was so fucking bad. Spirits was so far from what I want in a single player Smash experience and I'm honestly questioning whether I should even get the game at this point. I don't have a massive crew of friends that are into gaming, let alone Smash, so the game doesn't have much staying power if there's no entertaining singleplayer content. Unfortunately, not everyone can have the ideal large group of friends that you can play Smash locally all the time like KF do. I had the benefit of watching it after it aired so I got to skip through 10 minutes of "Let's Discuss Option Menus with Sakurai" so my condolences go out to anybody who had to watch that garbage live.

Also, I felt that Tim's disappointment has a lot to do with his preconceived notion of what was going to be announced - he definitely would have been a lot less harsh on it if this fake leak never happened. This is a major problem KF have in general, and something that was majorly on show with their Last Jedi review where their biggest complaints seemed to be that the movie didn't follow the exact plot that they had already made up in their head. Just because something happens differently to the way you thought it would go, doesn't make it automatically bad.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Adventure mode at the end looked pretty cool. If they showed that before Spirits I think the Direct reception would have been very different.

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Adventure mode at the end looked pretty cool. If they showed that before Spirits I think the Direct reception would have been very different.

Call me crazy, but agreed. I actually did like that Adventure Mode.

I just don't know how i feel about Spirits. It seems pretty like leveling up/fighting/equipping what are basically stickers. (Someone in chat called them JPEGs, which was accurate lmao) Maybe i just need to get past that part.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I just don't know how i feel about Spirits. It seems pretty like leveling up/fighting/equipping what are basically stickers. (Someone in chat called them JPEGs, which was accurate lmao) Maybe i just need to get past that part.
I'm never going to play it. Which is fine, I don't need to play every mode. Just having it front and center in the Direct was super uninspiring.

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
I'm never going to play it. Which is fine, I don't need to play every mode. Just having it front and center in the Direct was super uninspiring.

Totally. Is it the only way to earn coins? I wanna unlock all the music tracks, a huge part of my hype is the soundtrack. Which sounded great in the direct.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I know its harsh but I laughed at how disappointed Tim was.

Hype things up so much and you'll only ever be disappointed.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Getting disappointed and/or legit angry when (often irrational) expectations aren't met is kind of a signature trait of the enthusiast gaming crowd.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Well I don't think anyone thinks Adventure mode looks bad. It's a nice return considering sm4sh. I still find it a bit disappointing though because I needed me some subspace emissary action, at least in terms of the coop and sidescrolling levels.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

They are just equipment. They made a big deal out of equipment leveling.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I've never been able to follow any of these, just because god dang I got things to do. I'm gonna try to listen while doing homework and see if this is possible

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
This stream is PEAK KF content. Absolutely absurd and hilarious.

Nearly $48K raised in 13 hours!