• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Watching the RDR2 part in the gamescast. It was supposed to be an Andy segment to talk about RDR2 because he will be gone the week they gonna talk about it. Jared kept interrupting and clamping down on Andy's points and he ended up talking much longer than Andy. Jared felt really uncomfortable allowing any negative thing to be said about a part of the game without him interrupting and countering it. He really came out like those console warriors and fanboys. It was seriously horrible and I'm not going to watch any discussion when Jared is around.

This segment was some of the worst stuff that Kinda Funny has ever put. Be careful if you wanna check it because it's big spoilers territory.
Actually Greg spoiled himself on the entire game in this segment so I guess he truly won't ever play it.
Yeah, Greg said he won't ever go back.

And I don't mind Jared but I HATE when he does this shit. Plus, his fucking hard on for RDR2 is tiresome. We get it, you've got a podcast dedicated to it, but Jesus wept, man.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Greg said he won't ever go back.

And I don't mind Jared but I HATE when he does this shit. Plus, his fucking hard on for RDR2 is tiresome. We get it, you've got a podcast dedicated to it, but Jesus wept, man.
I don't even mind him loving it but his opinion about the game is the most known one. We've heard it and going to hear it the longest. Andy is rarely on screen and I would've loved to hear his thoughts on the game without constant interruptions and rebuttals.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, Jared's RDR2 talk was bad enough in the last games cast. I might just skip this one.

Obviously loving the game is great, he's just awful at allowing anyone else's voice to exist.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Watching the RDR2 part in the gamescast. It was supposed to be an Andy segment to talk about RDR2 because he will be gone the week they gonna talk about it. Jared kept interrupting and clamping down on Andy's points and he ended up talking much longer than Andy. Jared felt really uncomfortable allowing any negative thing to be said about a part of the game without him interrupting and countering it. He really came out like those console warriors and fanboys. It was seriously horrible and I'm not going to watch any discussion when Jared is around.

This segment was some of the worst stuff that Kinda Funny has ever put. Be careful if you wanna check it because it's big spoilers territory.
Actually Greg spoiled himself on the entire game in this segment so I guess he truly won't ever play it.

That's disappointing to hear... I deleted the episode as soon as I heard there were spoilers because I didn't want to risk it.

Is the rest of the episode worth going back to?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm a fan of Jared, but I'm really sick of hearing him talk RDR2 as well. Even his body language was defensive the second that Andy started talking:

http:///flZc.png

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
That's disappointing to hear... I deleted the episode as soon as I heard there were spoilers because I didn't want to risk it.

Is the rest of the episode worth going back to?

I didn't watch the rest of the episode but I know Andy was only brought in to talk Red Dead and left.
Wasn't interested in hearing Game of the year discussion from one person who has an obsessive hard on for Red Dead and the other who drop the game. I might watch to hear Tim's thought but I just know Jared would dominate the discussion and sucks the fun out of it anyways.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, they spoil RDR2 in the current Gamecast? I just started listening and am going to skip of so.

Honestly Kinda Funny's coverage of this game all around has been grating. I'm really enjoying the game so I come off on the more positive side of things, but overall it just has been so far from what I was hoping for in terms of people commenting about it. I also wonder if Greg and Kevin getting so deep into AC Odyssey set them up to bounce off the game just because of how completely different they are.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, they spoil RDR2 in the current Gamecast? I just started listening and am going to skip of so.

Honestly Kinda Funny's coverage of this game all around has been grating. I'm really enjoying the game so I come off on the more positive side of things, but overall it just has been so far from what I was hoping for in terms of people commenting about it. I also wonder if Greg and Kevin getting so deep into AC Odyssey set them up to bounce off the game just because of how completely different they are.
They barely cover any of the latest games much tbh

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

I think Greg's big issue is he just didn't like Arthur. No one seems to just straight hate it but they make their issues known.

I like that it's not just 100% gushing over it.

Like I can admit that's it's a fantastic game but it has some glaring issues that are making it hard for me to want to play.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I think Greg's big issue is he just didn't like Arthur. No one seems to just straight hate it but they make their issues known.

I like that it's not just 100% gushing over it.

Like I can admit that's it's a fantastic game but it has some glaring issues that are making it hard for me to want to play.

It's a shame tbh because he will never be able to speak authoritatively about one of the biggest games this gen. Whenever they gonna talk about PS4 best games in the future, Greg will not be able to talk about 2(BB the other) of those games that will end up in most people top 5 games of the gen. I think with RDR2 the situation is way worse than souls/bloodborne because it will have a much larger audience and probably will end up the biggest new release this gen.

I agree on the glaring issues with the game and it's has so many faults but I expect them to finish at least those mainstream games if they want me to remain interested in their gaming discussions. Greg & Tim are KF main guys and neither will be able to talk about it in a complete manor. That's a big blow to their gaming coverage imo.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame tbh because he will never be able to speak authoritatively about one of the biggest games this gen. Whenever they gonna talk about PS4 best games in the future, Greg will not be able to talk about 2(BB the other) of those games that will end up in most people top 5 games of the gen. I think with RDR2 the situation is way worse than souls/bloodborne because it will have a much larger audience and probably will end up the biggest new release this gen.

I agree on the glaring issues with the game and it's has so many faults but I expect them to finish at least those mainstream games if they want me to remain interested in their gaming discussions. Greg & Tim are KF main guys and neither will be able to talk about it in a complete manor. That's a big blow to their gaming coverage imo.
I get what you are saying, but i don't think Greg should be forced to put ~60 hours into a game that he doesn't like. Especially when he put in 20.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
He put in 20 hours. That's plenty of time to form an opinion. And its literally just he thinks it's fantastic but just not for him.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said I think it's a shame and a blow to their gaming coverage for me more than anything else. Off course he shouldn't force himself to play a game he doesn't like but when their main talking person is Jared who didn't let the other person who finished it talk, they are hands down have the worst coverage of the game.

Sure after 20 hours you absolutely have an opinion about any game. But
it's like Greg judging the story of GoW 2018 by playing and finishing GoW3 and then saying he won't play the new game. I've heard all of his complains and I think he missed the intention of all those scenes and they all come back later on and get addressed, even Jared in the review hinted it to him. In todays's spoilers segment, Greg was shocked that both Andy & Jared liked something he didn't. The game story was a Greg story written all over it. I've been listening to him since Beyond 200 so I would like to think I know what stories he would like. He is bailing on games that he would end up liking way too quick because with KF he is too busy and could afford to bail on them.
Gameplay wise he is right 100% though and doesn't need to play further.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Jared definitely goes out of his way to downplay everybody's criticisms of RDR2. It isn't like they have uncommon opinions of the game either. I have no doubt that he genuinely loves the game but he's incredibly defensive of it.

It's basically like:

- Greg/Andy/Kevin: The world and detail are incredible but I'm not feeling the gameplay.
- Jared: Everything has a purpose and is incredibly deliberate.
- Greg/Andy/Kevin: Yeah I know and recognize that. But I'm not having much fun playing it.
- Jared: Well life was hard back then and you need to like horses.

This is hyperbole yes but it isn't terribly far off.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said before in this topic, Jared's red dead talk is exhausting. It's all just the same noise at this point.

Alternatively, Tim fucking Gettys has been killing coverage lately. The way he talked about Pokemon was on point, precise and illuminating. Dude has grown a lot, he's great.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Alternatively, Tim fucking Gettys has been killing coverage lately. The way he talked about Pokemon was on point, precise and illuminating. Dude has grown a lot, he's great.
I'll support this! Tim has been the highlight of Kinda Funny for me for awhile now. He's gotten damn good at articulating his opinions and analyzing news in a knowledgeable and enthusiastic manner.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it's crazy how Tim is the only one who actually discusses games in a worthwhile manner any more.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I feel Greg still does as great a job as ever. And Jared has improved (Red Dead shenanigans aside) and no longer talks about everything he plays like it's an 11/10 can't miss classic.

I just had to accept awhile back that Kinda Funny as a unit doesn't cover the quantity of games they used to and that other outlets do.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Tim has been my favorite KF member for the past year. The growth in his role since KF started has been amazing.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Noooooo Greg got me with the God of War spoiler >_<

Ah well that's what I get for watching GOTY conversations without having finished the game yet

AngelL0ls

Oct 28, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
Used to watch a fair bit of Kinda Funny a while back but recently lapsed as I started to not enjoy their content as much.

Saw GOTY talk in my YouTube suggestions and while I hadn't watched their content as much as before I am excited about the game awards and enjoy GOTY talk, I loaded it up to give it a watch. Basically immediately into their personal choices I was hard out, Jared's incessant hard on for any and all things Red Dead and being combative and dismissive of anyone else's opinions was just teeth grindingly painful.

Sorry KindaFunny, but I just don't think I can force myself to watch any content that Jared is a part of.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jared definitely goes out of his way to downplay everybody's criticisms of RDR2. It isn't like they have uncommon opinions of the game either. I have no doubt that he genuinely loves the game but he's incredibly defensive of it.

It's basically like:

- Greg/Andy/Kevin: The world and detail are incredible but I'm not feeling the gameplay.
- Jared: Everything has a purpose and is incredibly deliberate.
- Greg/Andy/Kevin: Yeah I know and recognize that. But I'm not having much fun playing it.
- Jared: Well life was hard back then and you need to like horses.

This is hyperbole yes but it isn't terribly far off.
That's really not hyperbolic at all tbh. I like Jared a lot, but the way he talks about Red Dead and reacts to the criticisms of it can get grating at times.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
That's really not hyperbolic at all tbh. I like Jared a lot, but the way he talks about Red Dead and reacts to the criticisms of it can get grating at times.

counterpoint: you're wrong

edit: i havent wacthed the whole thing, I just saw that moment. idk if i actually comdemn him for this since it seemed like a comment in jest anyway

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
With all this talk of people being tired of Jared on Gamescast, what's everyone's opinion on Fran (or anyone else) joining as a permanent fourth?

I've personally enjoyed every time Fran has been on KF recently; he's well informed, interesting to listen to and has a different taste in games to the main cast. He's also probably one of the most experienced people still working in the industry and I'm sure he has plenty of great stories to tell.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Someone criticizes Red Dead

Jared:

20357dc6-f420-4756-b6da-78501b57633a.png

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With all this talk of people being tired of Jared on Gamescast, what's everyone's opinion on Fran (or anyone else) joining as a permanent fourth?

I've personally enjoyed every time Fran has been on KF recently; he's well informed, interesting to listen to and has a different taste in games to the main cast. He's also probably one of the most experienced people still working in the industry and I'm sure he has plenty of great stories to tell.
Eh, I don't want Jared to go anywhere. I really like him, he provides an interesting and different perspective from the other Kinda Funny members, especially since he has a lot of knowledge about retro gaming and plays a wide variety of genres. I just wouldn't mind if he stopped talking about RDR2 so much.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Eh, I don't want Jared to go anywhere. I really like him, he provides an interesting and different perspective from the other Kinda Funny members, especially since he has a lot of knowledge about retro gaming and plays a wide variety of genres. I just wouldn't mind if he stopped talking about RDR2 so much.

I wasn't implying Fran would replace Jared, more that they'd bring him in as a fourth chair (or maybe rotate them or something?)

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Fran is one of my least favorite voices in gaming, much worse than Jared. Jared is just a bit much sometimes. I feel fran is always a bit much lol.

I will chime in and say Tim is indeed fantastic. Honestly the trifecta of him Greg and Andy is amazing and hell even nick has grown on me.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Fran is one of my least favorite voices in gaming, much worse than Jared. Jared is just a bit much sometimes. I feel fran is always a bit much lol.

I will chime in and say Tim is indeed fantastic. Honestly the trifecta of him Greg and Andy is amazing and hell even nick has grown on me.

Nick is best when not on the morning shown. He has too many bits and fake there. I feel he's more genuine on the Game Over Greggy show Although Greg and Nick morning shows are so damn crazy they are some of the best.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Jared is okay. Honestly, I understand why he's pushing RDR2 so much. He's heavily invested in it with his podcast and all of that. Tim does bring the heat - I like how he can speak articulately about what he likes about a game and what he doesn't. I didn't expect him to go hard on Pokémon but he did but he also praised it as well. It was well done.

Also, Greg should coin the phrase "I just want to exist in this world." And Jared "It feels like this game was made for me" and "This game speaks to me directly."

I like everyone and I can understand why Jared would defend RDR2. I have a feeling their GotY Gamescast is going to be heated, lol.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017

From what we know about Cool Greg, getting a response probably made him really uncomfortable/uneasy. I wouldn't blame him, especially when he knows some of the employees there as he pointed out in his response.