• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MagitekDad

Oct 25, 2017
When I was on KFGD last week, everyone was so incredibly cool and awesome. Kevin and I were drinking whiskey at 11:40 before we went live. Everyone from Greg to Tim to Cool Greg to Joey to Jared were unbelievably kind.

Amazing experience :)

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
j7gnxp8ydrz11.jpg

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed Tim's breakdown of Smash single player on the Gamescast. I'm pretty excited for Classic Mode and World of Light now. I was pretty worried about the single player because that's how I play a lot of the time, but it seems I'll still get a lot out of it between unlocking characters, classic mode, and World of Light. I'm sure I'll dabble in Spirits mode as well but it isn't for me. Tim's comment that the Spirits just feel like "random JPEGs" is spot on how I feel.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
KF survey 2018 is up, for Patrons anyway. It's only like 6 questions but I guess you can mention anything you want in them.

Survey for non-Patrons is apparently coming later.

Nov 2, 2017
Why are Kingdom Hearts fans mad at KF lol?

Because there was supposed to be a some sort of new trailer aired during the amazon deal stream I think. It ended up being something that was already shown with just a tagged on bit about a pre-order bonus keyblade. They did it once pretty early in the stream and never went back to it I think. That amazon stream chat was a mess from there on. I did see someone mention in the sea of chat spam that square fucked up and didn't give them the right trailer. Not sure if that was true or not.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Because there was supposed to be a some sort of new trailer aired during the amazon deal stream I think. It ended up being something that was already shown with just a tagged on bit about a pre-order bonus keyblade. They did it once pretty early in the stream and never went back to it I think. That amazon stream chat was a mess from there on. I did see someone mention in the sea of chat spam that square fucked up and didn't give them the right trailer. Not sure if that was true or not.
Did KF do the amazon stream?

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
Did KF do the amazon stream?

Yeah, they hosted it.

The short version is that Amazon promised footage they ended up not actually having, but they held out until the last minute to confirm it in a confusing tweet that nobody understood. So instead, they showed a short version of last week's trailer, and the DLC announcement was actually just a preorder bonus. I don't think KF was aware that everything they had to show was already known content, but after the misunderstanding on Friday's stream, KH fans had become restless and impatient.

Since KH is micromanaged by Disney and SE, marketing tends to be very straightforward, so a lot of people watching weren't used to the level of shenanigans and teasing and that only frustrated them even more. Greg and Tim were great on the stream though, and it was a real treat to watch Nick play Hitman. It just sucked that they had to deal with that mess when there was nothing they could do about the situation.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Going way back here but did that 12 hour stream they did to fund the animated show not get archived anywhere? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they hosted it.

The short version is that Amazon promised footage they ended up not actually having, but they held out until the last minute to confirm it in a confusing tweet that nobody understood. So instead, they showed a short version of last week's trailer, and the DLC announcement was actually just a preorder bonus. I don't think KF was aware that everything they had to show was already known content, but after the misunderstanding on Friday's stream, KH fans had become restless and impatient.

Since KH is micromanaged by Disney and SE, marketing tends to be very straightforward, so a lot of people watching weren't used to the level of shenanigans and teasing and that only frustrated them even more. Greg and Tim were great on the stream though, and it was a real treat to watch Nick play Hitman. It just sucked that they had to deal with that mess when there was nothing they could do about the situation.

Thanks for the explanation. I was confused this morning when their name came up in many KH threads here and on Reddit.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
On this week's Gamescast, why do they think Bethesda might cancel their E3 show over FO76? I just don't see how the two are related? Like EA didn't cancel theirs this year and Battlefront 2's reaction was a lot worse than this. Also I think they're way overestimating the average gamer's long-term memory for these things. Everyone will have forgotten about this by June.

Also while we're at it, they really need to stop with the whole comparing Kinda Funny to giant corporations and saying "this is how we'd handle it...". With all due respect, KF employs 4 people and has one office; Bethesda employs probably thousands and has tons of offices around the world. The comparison is just totally irrelevant.

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
The Showcase is getting mainstream press coverage now, and I can already see the awful side of the gaming community getting ready to be angry that no huge, ginormous announcements happen.

Boy I sure hope not. KF has been crystal clear in their messaging about what the showcase is gonna be so hopefully that'll dissuade some of the typical "disappointment" rage. Besides, as we all know, the gaming community is full of the most rational, patient, and composed individuals on the Internet. :P

Though it really makes me sad to say I agree that there will for sure be a few people in the vocal minority who are out of the loop and get super angry. I just hope KF doesn't take that to heart if it happens. I already felt bad when they were at the receiving end of the angry fans after the KH/Amazon fiasco. :(

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Boy I sure hope not. KF has been crystal clear in their messaging about what the showcase is gonna be so hopefully that'll dissuade some of the typical "disappointment" rage. Besides, as we all know, the gaming community is full of the most rational, patient, and composed individuals on the Internet. :P

Though it really makes me sad to say I agree that there will for sure be a few people in the vocal minority who are out of the loop and get super angry. I just hope KF doesn't take that to heart if it happens. I already felt bad when they were at the receiving end of the angry fans after the KH/Amazon fiasco. :(
I'm crossing my fingers it doesn't happen, but there's an extremely vocal minority of gamers who will wine and moan about something like this. A lot of people will come in just hearing that a Nintendo Direct/PSX type thing is going on and just assume big announcements are going to happen.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Gamers will get mad about anything, so I'm fully expecting people to complain that they "hyped it too much" or whatever, even though they've gone out of their way to set expectations. And yeah add in the Colin fans who just want to see KF fail anyway and look for any excuse to bring up how he was "fired".

Anyway I'm really looking forward to Saturday. It feels like it could be a coming of age moment for KF. The only problem is if they do too well and people expect the same every year.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
The Reddit post in r/gaming already has the typical whinging Colin Fans that like to crawl into any KF thread.

That are not necessarily Collin fans, there's a lot more overlap between Easy Allies, Kinda funny and Collin patreons than people think. Multiple people that submit questions to shows like Collin's side quest or Easy Allies, Kinda funny and even Gamexplain are backers of all those patreons. It's always funny when you hear someone on podcast a that has submitted the same question to podcast b or c.

Personally I'm really looking forward to the Yakuza announcement, but more than anything it's another celebration of the gaming world. Together with the release of Smash and the game awards this is going to be a awesome weekend.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
That are not necessarily Collin fans, there's a lot more overlap between Easy Allies, Kinda funny and Collin patreons than people think. Multiple people that submit questions to shows like Collin's side quest or Easy Allies, Kinda funny and even Gamexplain are backers of all those patreons. It's always funny when you hear someone on podcast a that has submitted the same question to podcast b or c.

Personally I'm really looking forward to the Yakuza announcement, but more than anything it's another celebration of the gaming world. Together with the release of Smash and the game awards this is going to be a awesome weekend.
Nobody's saying there isn't overlap between people who watch all those different channels. But it's naive to act as if a significant portion (I'd argue the majority tbh) of old mate's audience doesn't actively hate on and go out of their way to bad mouth Kinda Funny. Check out the comments on any of his slowly declining YouTube videos and you'll see just how much hate and vitriol those people hold inside of them for Kinda Funny.

It's just really funny to think that these people and Colin himself are still bitching and moaning about what happened, while Kinda Funny has moved on and are holding arguably the second or third biggest video game showcase of the year.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Nobody's saying there isn't overlap between people who watch all those different channels. But it's naive to act as if a significant portion (I'd argue the majority tbh) of old mate's audience doesn't actively hate on and go out of their way to bad mouth Kinda Funny. Check out the comments on any of his slowly declining YouTube videos and you'll see just how much hate and vitriol those people hold inside of them for Kinda Funny.

It's just really funny to think that these people and Colin himself are still bitching and moaning about what happened, while Kinda Funny has moved on and are holding arguably the second or third biggest video game showcase of the year.

I doubt it, most people have moved on. Colin still mentions Greg in his podcasts and every time it's positive . On his Patreon the posts are much more mature. Sure there are youtube comments about the break up but like always the people bitching are the most vocal. Poor Jared can't do anything right even though he's trying his best to create great content.

I do agree it's really impressive kinda funny created this showcase. Until June I only knew about Greg because one of my favorite Dutch gaming journalists was a fan. I finally understand why Greg is considered a legend in the industry.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
It's legit baller that he just dropped the announcement on the KFGD like that. Like I have no better word to describe it.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I remember him saying stuff like that on the Gamescast. But he also doesn't seem to care much for Subspace Emissary (which I highly enjoyed, mainly because of the sidescrolling and co-op) so not sure his opinion would apply to me.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Eh, I'm going to take that hype from Tim with a massive heaping of salt. Also, as somebody who is always going to have a bucket load of people to play locally with I feel like his take on the game is going to always be incredibly skewed. I don't have a single friend who owns a Switch, so single player is going to really make or break this entire game for me.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'm going to take that hype from Tim with a massive heaping of salt. Also, as somebody who is always going to have a bucket load of people to play locally with I feel like his take on the game is going to always be incredibly skewed. I don't have a single friend who owns a Switch, so single player is going to really make or break this entire game for me.
Pretty much this. Single player needs to be good, or at the very least I need online to be fun and casual enough for my shit at the game arse.