• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I thought he was overall fine on the GOTY gamescast. There were some weird tangent moments he had but not much.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Still not sure where the Jared hate comes from. Listened to the Goty discussion yesterday and he wasn't pushing Red Dead or anything. He's passionate about games, something that should be treasured.

Jared sounds like either someone just died or he won the lottery, no in between.
He also doesn't flow well with the other hosts, my opinion.
Not even mentioning his annoying rants.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to lose interest in Kinda Funny. Its background noise more often than not anymore, I used to actually listen now not so much.

I feel like they've lost their "indie guerilla" feel and are just a smaller IGN now.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Shame jared is still on gamescast, was really hoping if he got his own show they'd take him off there.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is getting complicated now with all the patreon changes and shows. The only changes I'm excited for is Fran on Gamecast, but Jared is still there. Good luck to the KF crew, but it's just not for me.

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to lose interest in Kinda Funny. Its background noise more often than not anymore, I used to actually listen now not so much.

I feel like they've lost their "indie guerilla" feel and are just a smaller IGN now.

That's very valid. Personally, I've loved the direction KF has moved in recently. I loved them as the "indie" feel, but I also love how they've grown into this new style even more. I can see why it's not for everyone though, or how some might be disappointed.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fran joining is pretty much the worst news possible next to colin coming back (for me) Blaaah.

Liking the sound of everything else tho and I'm happy others are on board with it all.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Still not sure where the Jared hate comes from. Listened to the Goty discussion yesterday and he wasn't pushing Red Dead or anything. He's passionate about games, something that should be treasured.
Yeah I don't have a problem with him either. But then again I only listen to the games cast while waking my dog so I guess I'm not as invested?

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I used to be pretty critical of Jared but I've just kind of gotten used to him. He has felt a little more reigned in lately, at least to me. Now if he can just stop spoiling games that aren't even a couple months old yet, that would be great.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Very excited to hear that Fran is joining Gamescast. I was losing interest in KF, but that's definitely piqued my curiosity! Can we please get special GBA Gamescast with Fran hosting?

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I thought Jared was great on the GotY podcast. He willingly conceded to GoW and he even helped Tim change his list.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO

Exactly...its all way too convoluted now and it's just too much....can't even keep track of what's what and the new shows, etc.

Ah well, I still enjoy watching their old shit from the first year or two.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I'll echo the sentiment about the GOG Show. I still enjoy it here and there but it lost its luster for me awhile ago (nothing to do with Colin). I'm wondering if perhaps the formula is just kind of worn out or if they've run out of compelling things to talk about.

Or, maybe it's because so much of the show these days is just them screwing around. It used to focus entirely on the interesting topics but now they will sometimes go half an hour before actually getting to the topics. The original draw of the show, for me, was a group of dudes with amazing chemistry talking about interesting shit. Now it's basically the morning show without reading subs.

I'm currently very happy with Kinda Funny Games (small qualms aside) but the original Kinda Funny channel has been pretty dull since the MCU In-Review wrapped.

Colin has a lot of shitty opinions especially now that there are no people around to check him. But he definitely was the driving force to steer the topics and conversations in to interesting places on GOG back in the day.

I feel like they are trying to squeeze more out of their hardcore. KFGD questions require Patreon $5 sub now when it was for free. The $1 tier doesn't give you early access anymore. Heck the $1 tier is a Reddit flare now. You would need $10 to access the shows early, that's a big jump.

I feel like they failed to make their audience bigger and now they want to get more per fan.

As a mainly listener/watcher for the gaming stuff, nothing has changed or improved for my tastes. I wanted Andy for a gaming show not their fluff stuff.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. It feels to me that their numbers have been low for awhile, both on Youtube and Twitch (in live numbers). Those first couple years the Twitch viewership was closer to 10k day than it is now at 1.5k~

Though after that post-TGA show, they seem to be on the uptick in live viewership. I hope they pull through cause I like Greg and team!

EJS

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
edit: I mentioned Colin and how he was pretty good at spearheading a podcast. Sometimes I miss it during Gamecasts or GOG.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I don't think the Colin/Greg dynamic can ever be recreated. Having someone to do a show with you that you grew up with is way different than doing a show with people you only met because of work. I discovered Kinda Funny because my favorite dutch podcast ended, the host Simon Zijlemans is a big Collin and Greg fan. He recommended their stuff to fill up the void.

So far I'm really liking it, so much I'm going back to listen to old Beyond episodes.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
I don't think the Colin/Greg dynamic can ever be recreated. Having someone to do a show with you that you grew up with is way different than doing a show with people you only met because of work. I discovered Kinda Funny because my favorite dutch podcast ended, the host Simon Zijlemans is a big Collin and Greg fan. He recommended their stuff to fill up the void.

So far I'm really liking it, so much I'm going back to listen to old Beyond episodes.

I agree that it can't really be recreated but are you saying they grew up together? Because that's not true. They met at IGN like everyone else at KF.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017

At this point I'm pretty sure Greg and Tim have known each other a lot longer than Greg and Colin had when they were in their prime on Beyond.

I'm not going to say I miss Colin because I don't want to support what he's doing now but I do miss having someone on the podcasts who is a noticeably different voice. That dynamic between Colin and Greg just worked so well.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tim takes playing a role too seriously and doesn't let himself be himself. He is the "hypeman" and that is detrimental.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
This is getting complicated now with all the patreon changes and shows. The only changes I'm excited for is Fran on Gamecast, but Jared is still there. Good luck to the KF crew, but it's just not for me.

Not sure if I like some of the shows excluding some of the members.
Tim takes playing a role too seriously and doesn't let himself be himself. He is the "hypeman" and that is detrimental.

Yeeeah you can feel it in certain topics or when it comes to steering the conversation back on track with something like Kinda Funny Games.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
All the negativity surrounding Jared honestly makes me sad. I watched him on IGN podcasts for years, and he always seemed like one of the best, most positive voices in gaming. He has more knowledge of games and gaming history than just about anyone I've ever heard podcast, but he gets so much hate. Don't get me wrong, it's fine to voice your opinions, it just bums me out to see such a kind and positive man get so much shit.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
All the negativity surrounding Jared honestly makes me sad. I watched him on IGN podcasts for years, and he always seemed like one of the best, most positive voices in gaming. He has more knowledge of games and gaming history than just about anyone I've ever heard podcast, but he gets so much hate. Don't get me wrong, it's fine to voice your opinions, it just bums me out to see such a kind and positive man get so much shit.
The negativity isn't that he isn't a nice guy. Its that he's annoying as fuck to listen to.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Whoa whoa whoa. Calm the fuck down here, I don't hate Jared.
I might have been a bit asshole-ish with my previous posts but I really like the dude, he's been through so much shit it's remarkable.
He's such a strong person to go through what he did and still be super positive and happy about everything, that being said :

The negativity isn't that he isn't a nice guy. Its that he's annoying as fuck to listen to.

^ as I said earlier the tone Jared takes is either someone just died or he won the lottery. There is no in between. His rants, his cutting off of hosts, the way he was trying to change things in the games daily show that was pissing off Kevin, etc.

He just feels like he doesn't fit Kinda Funny, for me, but I'm in the minority, so it seems KindaFunny might just be going in a direction that's not for me.

All good.

Last edited:

EJS

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Whoa whoa whoa. Calm the fuck down here, I don't hate Jared.
I might have been a bit asshole-ish with my previous posts but I really like the dude, he's been through so much shit it's remarkable.
He's such a strong person to go through what he did and still be super positive and happy about everything, that being said :

^ as I said earlier the tone Jared takes is either someone just died or he won the lottery. There is no in between. His rants, his cutting off of hosts, the way he was trying to change things in the games daily show that was pissing off Kevin, etc.

He just feels like he doesn't fit Kinda Funny, for me, but I'm in the minority, so it seems KindaFunny might just be going in a direction that's not for me.

All good.
Not to derail or go off topic, but what has happened to Jared? I know his wife got in a bad car accident and I always feel bad when he mentions something about her struggles but is there other stuff I am missing? Not to take anything away from the accident because that's enough in itself.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not to derail or go off topic, but what has happened to Jared? I know his wife got in a bad car accident and I always feel bad when he mentions something about her struggles but is there other stuff I am missing? Not to take anything away from the accident because that's enough in itself.

AFAIK the physical accident injured his wife the most (needed spinal surgery)..but the recovery, dealing with the American health care system, and I imagine (from personal experience) the trauma and mental recovery of all that is probably still ongoing.

EJS

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
AFAIK the physical accident injured his wife the most (needed spinal surgery)..but the recovery, dealing with the American health care system, and I imagine (from personal experience) the trauma and mental recovery of all that is probably still ongoing.
Is his wife okay? I have never seen her before.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017

I only casually check out KF stuff and I agree with this, but I think it extends beyond just Tim. Sometimes when I'm watching their stuff it feels like I'm watching something made in a lab to be popular on internet. I was really into the GOG show around when it first started and those felt like genuine conversations. The whole allure to me of content like this is that it feels like hanging out with friends. Somewhere along the way it lost that for me because they all feel too much like internet personalities rather than people who shoot the shit.

I guess that's just a natural progression of getting bigger though. They wouldn't have made it this far and accomplished so much without evolving that way and I'll always give them mad props for growing Kinda Funny into what it is. I think a side effect of that is the content just isn't really for me anymore and that's okay.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Lol, yeah, the Persona Smash reveal was cringy. Has he even played a Persona game?
He's not a Persona fan but before the Joker announcement Sakurai tweeted that Nintendo had chosen the DLC characters. People where concerned that because of that the DLC characters where going to be safe picks.

Joker in Smash means anything is possible. That is why Tim was so hyper.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
He's not a Persona fan but before the Joker announcement Sakurai tweeted that Nintendo had chosen the DLC characters. People where concerned that because of that the DLC characters where going to be safe picks.

Joker in Smash means anything is possible. That is why Tim was so hyper.
I mean....It was still an over the top reaction

Cap10Deku

Dec 2, 2017
Seattle, Wa
Personally I like the changes they're making with all the new shoes and I am super excited for them should they be able to afford to get a bigger studio; especially with the ideas Kevin said during some episode before.

Now saying that I do 100% miss the "indie" feel they use to have. As others have said they seem to mess around a lot more often than not now (except maybe KFGD or Gamescast). If they can zero in on that a bit I think I personally would be 100% happy with where they are and where they are going.

In terms of Jared I have noticed he has dialed it back a bit. He does still go on his occasional rants still about the most obscure game or some game from 20 years ago that is the "BEST GAME EEEVVVVEEERRR MADE!", but I'm hoping with the addition of a cast member to Gamescast that means there will be a lot more discussions between the 3.

I will say I do enjoy when Jared goes into "host" mode where he starts questioning Tim and/or Greg about the games they've played and why they've liked it. I like stuff like that and do wish KF went into more details on the games they play.

I've said this before but I wish they did more Spoilercasts; especially ones that are 2-3hrs long. XD

Last edited:

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Wow, another Showcase around E3. Really glad small publishers will get a spot now Sony does not host anything.

EJS

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I just saw the video highlighting everything. I feel like KF is kind of turning into IGN with all their shoes/branches. Not a bad thing, I wish them well.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Here are my belated thoughts on Kinda Funny 4.0:

- It's cool that Andy is finally being a permanent chair on the Kinda Funny Podcast, but I'm not sure that'll improve the negative things I had to say about the show a few days ago. That podcast has literally become white noise and there are never any iconic or deep moments on the show anymore, and there hasn't been for about a year. The show has basically devolved into them just being wacky for the sack of being wacky, which leads me to my next point. Nothing of any sort of substance happens on it anymore.

- I see some people raving about this, but I could not care less about The Morning Show being split up into three bland shows. I have zero interest in seeing Nick and Tim be wacky for the sack of wacky while watching internet videos. Honestly, the thought of that makes my eyes roll so hard that I'm going to need to see an optometrist. KF/AF seems like just Nick and Andy being wacky for the sack of being wacky, which again, I have no interest in.

- The third of their Morning Show replacements is the worst of them all. Why on earth would I want to watch a movie critique show from literally the worst movie critics I have ever seen in my life? Kevin has some of the worst takes on movies and Nick has literally no clue what he's talking about for some who has legitimate technical film skills.

- In Review returns with something other than superheroes, which is much needed, but I really don't care about Fast & Furious and I don't care about their movie stuff anymore.

- Debatable seems awful. It seems like them trying to do a bad imitation of a Rooster Teeth show or something. In fact, a lot of these changes seem like they're trying to become Rooster Teeth Junior.

- Hopefully, Fran joining Gamescast will drown out Jared, but that's extremely unlikely.

- Arguably my biggest gripe; STOP WITH ALL THE FUCKING MEET & GREETS. Doing these actively ruin your content. It's bad enough during convention season when everybody is always away from the studio, but now they want to do a "world tour"? Hard pass. Thank god it looks like they'll miss out on hitting the stretch goals for international trips. Too often we get moments where NONE of the fulltime Kinda Funny employees are around, ruining all of their shows. It has the biggest impact on their games coverage (AKA THE SIDE OF THEIR BUSINESS THAT IS THE MOST RELEVANT) because they all come to Gamescast and say they haven't been playing anything because they've been travelling, or that they've all only been playing random older games on their Switch because they've been on planes constantly.

Overall, I'm less than impressed with this. They split The Morning Show up into three different shows for really bizarre reasons. I guess now that if big entertainment news breaks on a Saturday, Sunday, Monday or Tuesday, the fans that want to hear them discuss it are going to have to wait for an eternity. It seems like they're stretching themselves thinner and thinner, while in reality, they're putting out the exact same content. There's also a much bigger push to become Rooster Teeth or IGN with these changes, as many else have noted. Kinda Funny is becoming a lifeless, soulless husk of what it used to be. It's like a Frankenstein's Monster of what Tim thinks a successful YouTube channel looks like. It's a bunch of middle-aged people being wacky for the sack of wacky on EVERY SHOW, which waters everything down and gets old quickly. All of your fucking shows seem the same now.

Oh, and I'm not even going to touch on their awful changes to the Patreon. Your YouTube channel is not worth more than Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, PlayStation Plus, etc.

If Gamescast continues to be a chore thanks to Jared, Kinda Funny Podcast continues to be white noise, and they stretch themselves thin with this new schedule and too many meet & greets that it actively ruins the content more, I'm going to be completely done with this group. It's been a nice run, but I think it's coming to an end.