• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I can't relate with the complaints about them getting too big. My thing with KF always has been I just like hearing these guys talk on basically anything. So regardless of the "indie feel" going away, it doesn't really matter for me. I'll still be entertained. At least that has held up thus far.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I just wish we still got the more nuanced discussions and debates from the spare room days. Everything now feels so hyperactive, and I find it difficult to watch/listen to too much of their content as it really grates on me after a while.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Here are my belated thoughts on Kinda Funny 4.0:

- It's cool that Andy is finally being a permanent chair on the Kinda Funny Podcast, but I'm not sure that'll improve the negative things I had to say about the show a few days ago. That podcast has literally become white noise and there are never any iconic or deep moments on the show anymore, and there hasn't been for about a year. The show has basically devolved into them just being wacky for the sack of being wacky, which leads me to my next point. Nothing of any sort of substance happens on it anymore.

- I see some people raving about this, but I could not care less about The Morning Show being split up into three bland shows. I have zero interest in seeing Nick and Tim be wacky for the sack of wacky while watching internet videos. Honestly, the thought of that makes my eyes roll so hard that I'm going to need to see an optometrist. KF/AF seems like just Nick and Andy being wacky for the sack of being wacky, which again, I have no interest in.

- The third of their Morning Show replacements is the worst of them all. Why on earth would I want to watch a movie critique show from literally the worst movie critics I have ever seen in my life? Kevin has some of the worst takes on movies and Nick has literally no clue what he's talking about for some who has legitimate technical film skills.

- In Review returns with something other than superheroes, which is much needed, but I really don't care about Fast & Furious and I don't care about their movie stuff anymore.

- Debatable seems awful. It seems like them trying to do a bad imitation of a Rooster Teeth show or something. In fact, a lot of these changes seem like they're trying to become Rooster Teeth Junior.

- Hopefully, Fran joining Gamescast will drown out Jared, but that's extremely unlikely.

- Arguably my biggest gripe; STOP WITH ALL THE FUCKING MEET & GREETS. Doing these actively ruin your content. It's bad enough during convention season when everybody is always away from the studio, but now they want to do a "world tour"? Hard pass. Thank god it looks like they'll miss out on hitting the stretch goals for international trips. Too often we get moments where NONE of the fulltime Kinda Funny employees are around, ruining all of their shows. It has the biggest impact on their games coverage (AKA THE SIDE OF THEIR BUSINESS THAT IS THE MOST RELEVANT) because they all come to Gamescast and say they haven't been playing anything because they've been travelling, or that they've all only been playing random older games on their Switch because they've been on planes constantly.

Overall, I'm less than impressed with this. They split The Morning Show up into three different shows for really bizarre reasons. I guess now that if big entertainment news breaks on a Saturday, Sunday, Monday or Tuesday, the fans that want to hear them discuss it are going to have to wait for an eternity. It seems like they're stretching themselves thinner and thinner, while in reality, they're putting out the exact same content. There's also a much bigger push to become Rooster Teeth or IGN with these changes, as many else have noted. Kinda Funny is becoming a lifeless, soulless husk of what it used to be. It's like a Frankenstein's Monster of what Tim thinks a successful YouTube channel looks like. It's a bunch of middle-aged people being wacky for the sack of wacky on EVERY SHOW, which waters everything down and gets old quickly. All of your fucking shows seem the same now.

Oh, and I'm not even going to touch on their awful changes to the Patreon. Your YouTube channel is not worth more than Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, PlayStation Plus, etc.

If Gamescast continues to be a chore thanks to Jared, Kinda Funny Podcast continues to be white noise, and they stretch themselves thin with this new schedule and too many meet & greets that it actively ruins the content more, I'm going to be completely done with this group. It's been a nice run, but I think it's coming to an end.

I really agree with a lot of the points you raised. From how the GOG show is basically white noise now. I got no interest to watch it.

As for the morning show changes, honestly, how often do the KF crew watch new TV/movies to talk about? I really feel like they just watch a couple blockbuster movies every year and talk about those.

The Fast franchise in Review is just utter bleh. I feel like fast has already been talked to the death on other shows. They should really start exploring uncharted territories. That's what makes watching people discuss movie/TV fun. Not something they know and have talked a bunch of times. In review series could have been a great choice for them to watch new stuff but I have a feeling it's just gonna be these popcorn, talked to death movies non stop.

The meet and greet is just again non-consequential for a lot of viewers. You will get a couple tweets and reddit posts from these but that's about it. It's the internet people. Focusing so much money and effort towards real-life meet and greet is not a smart way to use the money.

I honestly feel like those reaction channel's patreons are more appealing in many aspects now. They watch new stuff suggested by their viewers, they also have discussions and personalities. Why would I sub to KF when all they discuss are Fast and Furious which had been discussed for years and being wacky and laughing and drinking beers during podcast while regurgitating topics.

Gamecast and GD's topics overlap a ton and since they don't play that many games anymore, I just find gamecast boring as hell.
"I'm only 3 hours into [insert game] because I went to this event/meet and greet in [insert place]. "

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I unsubbed from their patreon a while ago as the gamescast just wasn't great to me and AFAIK there wasn't an early access tier for the old playstation podcast so there was no point staying subbed at the time. I ended up regularly watch games daily though and did like that though certain combinations of hosts are hard to listen to depending on the subject. I had an interest in resubbing to their patreon for some of its exclusives but looking at their new patreon tiers and I'm likely to never resub to the patreon. $10 just not worth it for me when I can get Netflix or something for that. I'll keep watching stuff on YouTube though.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
They probably mentioned this during the stream, but watching the newest Gamescast, I saw that the pre and post show portions are now available with the audio versions of the podcasts (still exclusive to Patrons, I assume).

Big Al

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I feel like people are overreacting to these changes quite a bit. That being said is there a list of everything that's changing somewhere? I'm having a hard time keeping track

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I feel like people are overreacting to these changes quite a bit. That being said is there a list of everything that's changing somewhere? I'm having a hard time keeping track
https://www.kindafunny.com/2019/

THE 2019 SHOW LINE-UP

Kinda Funny Games Daily: The world's most popular daily gaming podcast runs through the biggest news of the day live on twitch.tv/KindaFunnyGames every weekday, now at it's new time of 10AM Pacific. Later on YouTube and podcast services.

Kinda Funny Gamescast: We are pleased to announce brand fourth chair, Fran Mirabella! Every Monday Tim, Greg, Jared, and Fran talk about the games they have been playing as well as the biggest topics of the gaming industry. Watch live or early on Patreon, later on YouTube and podcast services.

Party Mode: Party Mode is the show where every Thursday we all hang out playing games together. We are expanding the brand to include Party Mode Pre-Game where we play through early parts of new releases and Party Mode After Party where we play though chunks of games unedited. You asked for longer uncut gameplay videos, and now you are getting them. But what is Andy gonna do with all that free time? Watch early on Patreon, later on YouTube.

The Kinda Funny Podcast: Every Friday four best friends get together to talk about their lives, adventures, and pretty much any topic under the sun. We have heard you and this show is focused on the Kinda Funny crew. Hosted by Greg Miller, Tim Gettys, Nick Scarpino, and Andy Cortez. Watch live or early on Patreon, later on YouTube and podcast services.

Internet Explorerz: Live every Monday at 11AM Pacific on twitch.tv/kindafunnygames Tim and Nick do what they were put on this planet to do: Watch Fun Clipz, talk to the chat, and explore the deepest darkest corners of the internet. There might also be housekeeping. Later on YouTube and podcast services.

Kinda Funny In Review: The fan favorite show returns live 11AM every Tuesday on twitch.tv/kindafunnygames. The first episode will close out Spidey In Review with Into the Spider-Verse next week, then ask and you shall receive, it is time to go from Fast to Furious! Later on YouTube and podcast services.

KFAF: Live every Wednesday at 11AM Pacific on twitch.tv/kindafunnygames it is time for KFAF. Nick and Andy promise they are going to figure out what this show is one day, once they figure a way out of their mom's basement. Later on YouTube and podcast services.

Debatable: Live every Thursday at 11AM Pacific on twitch.tv/kindafunnygames. What's the best '90s movie? Who's the best hero in the MCU? What's the best PS4 game? The answer? It's DEBATABLE! Each and every week, Debatable host Jared Petty brings Professional Bad Guy Greg Miller and a guest together to argue their way to the ultimate Top 10 where Jared's the judge and the audience is a contributor! Later on YouTube and podcast services.

Kinda Funny Screencast: And live every Friday at 11AM Pacific on twitch.tv/kindafunnygames, we FINALLY have an entertainment news show! Kevin Coello hosts his first ever show alongside Nick Scarpino and Tim Gettys as they go through all the biggest movie, TV, and streaming service news and trailers of the week. Later on YouTube and podcast services.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I really agree with a lot of the points you raised. From how the GOG show is basically white noise now. I got no interest to watch it.

As for the morning show changes, honestly, how often do the KF crew watch new TV/movies to talk about? I really feel like they just watch a couple blockbuster movies every year and talk about those.

The Fast franchise in Review is just utter bleh. I feel like fast has already been talked to the death on other shows. They should really start exploring uncharted territories. That's what makes watching people discuss movie/TV fun. Not something they know and have talked a bunch of times. In review series could have been a great choice for them to watch new stuff but I have a feeling it's just gonna be these popcorn, talked to death movies non stop.

The meet and greet is just again non-consequential for a lot of viewers. You will get a couple tweets and reddit posts from these but that's about it. It's the internet people. Focusing so much money and effort towards real-life meet and greet is not a smart way to use the money.

I honestly feel like those reaction channel's patreons are more appealing in many aspects now. They watch new stuff suggested by their viewers, they also have discussions and personalities. Why would I sub to KF when all they discuss are Fast and Furious which had been discussed for years and being wacky and laughing and drinking beers during podcast while regurgitating topics.

Gamecast and GD's topics overlap a ton and since they don't play that many games anymore, I just find gamecast boring as hell.
"I'm only 3 hours into [insert game] because I went to this event/meet and greet in [insert place]. "
They're not really hardcore fans of movies. They'll see all the big popcorn flicks and may occasionally see something else if it gets enough buzz. Even Nick doesn't even go out of his way to watch most of the Oscar-nominated movies despite the fact he watches the Oscars every single year. They've also proven through In Review that they have no idea how to critique films. Everything is judged on a gut feeling and there's literally zero discussion of any technical or tangible aspects. Not to mention they all have this fucking weird bias against animated films, and only relent for something like Spider-Man.

Also, get ready for dozens of Gamescast episodes where you hear that exact "I'm only 3 hours into this game because we had to go to an event". They already did way too much travelling with all the conventions they go to, and now they've added FIVE more weeks of travelling to the schedule.

Another thing I've been thinking about is how the hell are they going to put out content with all this travelling? They struggled to slap together all their shows during their heavy travel period last year, so what are they going to do now? There are going to be weeks where all of their daily shows can't happen. They've made things like In Review replace the Morning Show so they can't really tape them in advance since it's supposed to be live on Twitch, isn't it? The Kinda Funny Podcast is also going to struggle to actually have all 4 people there most weeks, and Gamescast is going to be just Jared and Fran a hell of a lot.

The more I think about these changes, the less I like them.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I would've like to see is ending the Gamescast intro. I really like the quick KF jingle and feel the longer show introductions are not necessary. With GOG being replaced, I felt this was the time to have the Gamescast just use the jingle as its intro. It already uses the jingle before the intro, so I feel they could just drop the longer intro. I felt the same way with GOG, but that's obviously no longer an issue.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I would've like to see is ending the Gamescast intro. I really like the quick KF jingle and feel the longer show introductions are not necessary. With GOG being replaced, I felt this was the time to have the Gamescast just use the jingle as its intro. It already uses the jingle before the intro, so I feel they could just drop the longer intro. I felt the same way with GOG, but that's obviously no longer an issue.
Hey! I'm not the only one haha.

To be fair to Kinda Funny though, I hate intros on all podcasts if they go longer than a couple seconds. They're pointless and are often annoying. It's such a little thing but it bothers me haha.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Hey! I'm not the only one haha.

To be fair to Kinda Funny though, I hate intros on all podcasts if they go longer than a couple seconds. They're pointless and are often annoying. It's such a little thing but it bothers me haha.

I always fast-forward the GOG one. And that one used to be even longer than it is now. Hopefully the KF Podcast will just do a quick jingle.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I haven't been able to watch the last GoG show yet (they just put it up on YouTube), but to anyone that has, is it watchable? Tim was pretty gone during the Jeopardy segment and I fucking can't stand drunk people trying to talk.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I haven't been able to watch the last GoG show yet (they just put it up on YouTube), but to anyone that has, is it watchable? Tim was pretty gone during the Jeopardy segment and I fucking can't stand drunk people trying to talk.
Yeah, Tim being buzzed during the GotY Gamescast kind of soured it a bit.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
End of an era...

Though Tim liked the look of the old table on the set so much, it sounds like one of the new shows they announced might use the table instead of the desk.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess when a patreon person pays to get on the show, they'll be on "We Have Cool Friends?"

Yeah, that would be the show for it. Essentially GOG is split into two shows: The Kinda Funny Podcast and We Have Cool Friends. The latter will be GOG with only the KF crew. As for the content of We Have Cool Friends, I can only assume it's somewhat along the same lines in terms of content, but will probably focus more on the guest and have fewer participants. Though, I can see Screencast getting its share of guests as well. Also sounds like Andrea is planning her own KF show, though wasn't ready to announce it. It's probably will be one of the goals that will be added (maybe during the stream at the end of the month).

Last edited:

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that would be the show for it. Essentially GOG is split into two shows: The Kinda Funny Podcast and We Have Cool Friends. The latter will be GOG with only the KF crew. As for the content of We Have Cool Friends, I can only assume it's somewhat along the same lines in terms of content, but will probably focus more on the guest and have fewer participants. Though, I can see Screencast getting its share of guests as well. Also sounds like Andrea is planning her own KF show, though wasn't ready to announce it. It's probably will be one of the goals that will be added (maybe during the stream at the end of the month).

Apparently that podcast guest thing was taken off of the patreon tier.

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe it's because I got a bit sappy, but I thought it was one of the best GOGs ever. I put it up there with the Kinda Funny 1st Anniversary GOG.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping they don't stretch themselves too thin and in the process hurting they're other shows.

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it's because I got a bit sappy, but I thought it was one of the best GOGs ever. I put it up there with the Kinda Funny 1st Anniversary GOG.

It was essentially this with Nick being the sober Egon. "I love you guys".

yNhAWBM.jpg

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Anyone watching this Internet Explorers show right now? Seems like it's basically the Morning Show at the moment.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Yeah, I'd rather it be like how it is now... Monday's can be the crazy stuff and then the other days they can actually get through news and other topics, lol.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, I'd rather it be like how it is now... Monday's can be the crazy stuff and then the other days they can actually get through news and other topics, lol.

Agreed and this way people can pick and choose the bits of the Morning Show they want to watch. I like that the movie news show is on Fridays too... that way it works as a recap of the weeks news.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Yeah I've enjoyed it. It's only a matter of time until they stumble upon something extremely NSFW though lol.
Yeah, they're playing with fire right now. They need to really vet the stuff before they're ready to show it and have all the pages/links ready to go and not refresh them. Especially when they're visiting World Star or some random clickbait site.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Latest Gamescast, first with Fran, was excellent! Best one in awhile in my opinion. Felt far more balanced. Fran being a knowledgeable technical guy helps to complete the dynamic.

Last edited:

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
All the negativity surrounding Jared honestly makes me sad. I watched him on IGN podcasts for years, and he always seemed like one of the best, most positive voices in gaming. He has more knowledge of games and gaming history than just about anyone I've ever heard podcast, but he gets so much hate. Don't get me wrong, it's fine to voice your opinions, it just bums me out to see such a kind and positive man get so much shit.
The sad thing with Jared on KF shows is that Tim and Greg don't know how to handle him, they just let him be when he starts to go off tangent and it sucks all the oxygen out of certain conversations. Their politeness in not interrupting him actually hurts in the long run. Compare it to when he was a Gamescoop regular and Daemon and Sam never let that happen. They'd give him a few moments to waffle off topic and then shut it right down to get back on topic. Sam even seeming to find sport in baiting Jared into starting stories that he won't get to finish.
I do love Jared, he's a voice of a type of gaming I'm into that doesn't get much attention time on KF unless he is present. His top 10 being much closer to mine than Tim or Greg.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
New Year. New Co-Host. New Gamescast. Still talking about Fortnite. It blows my mind how they've completely missed the point why people don't like them talking about Fortnite. It's not that people "hate" the game - I love it and have sunk hundreds of hours. People don't want to hear you talk about it because you've been discussing it for almost a year at the point and the discussion is ALWAYS THE SAME. BRING SOMETHING NEW TO THE TABLE.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I had similar thoughts during the Gamescast when Tim says he wants "Why do you not like Fortnite?" to be a Gamescast topic.

Like, Twitter trolls are going to troll, guys. Who gives a shit if they tweet in response to you saying you're playing and enjoying yourself on your social media. It's a popular game so someone will always be talking shit. The actual listeners who are complaining largely have no issue at all with the game. They're just sick of it being discussed for 10+ minutes all the time when nothing new is ever said.

Keep playing it and enjoying yourselves! If you're concerned about not having anything to talk about choose better Gamescast topics, spend more time on the topic or maybe try multiple topics.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
We back on Fortnite again huh?
It's almost like they don't play that many games anymore, so they have to resort back to the Fortnite industry analysis that even 14 year old Fortnite players can do.

I expect this to be a common trend going forward. "We went to this convention/meet-and-greet so I was playing this indie on my switch! ! !"
I don't see them finishing any game that takes longer than 12 hours to complete. Unless it's a huge PS exclusive title that happens to be longer (e.g. God of War).

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The problem is less that they are actively choosing to not play as many games as they used to, but that they're being spread too thin due to travel. Because they've decided that doing 8 billion meet & greets and conventions is necessary they're limited to playing Switch and that's about it. Remember when Greg was the PlayStation guy? Now it feels like he's less of a PlayStation guy than a bunch of other people in the industry. For the past couple months it feels like I can predict everything Greg will say during the "what have you been playing?" section. It's always that he wakes up and plays Beat Saber, he's still been playing Assassin's Creed and still been playing Fortnite. I feel like Tim is even worse because he almost never talks about what he's been playing. I don't like Jared on the podcast, but at least he plays a bunch of stuff. Not expecting much from Fran considering his job is to stream games, so it's going to be games as a service 90% of the time.

I've been thinking about doing this for a while, but in 2019 I want to keep an active tally of how many games Greg gives his bullshit "I'll definitely come back and finish this" line to.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Gamescast has been pointless for ages now. "So yeah, cool, granted I've only played 2 hours at this point and not sure when I'll get back to it because I'm flying somewhere this week but yeah, it's cool."

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The sad thing with Jared on KF shows is that Tim and Greg don't know how to handle him, they just let him be when he starts to go off tangent and it sucks all the oxygen out of certain conversations. Their politeness in not interrupting him actually hurts in the long run. Compare it to when he was a Gamescoop regular and Daemon and Sam never let that happen. They'd give him a few moments to waffle off topic and then shut it right down to get back on topic. Sam even seeming to find sport in baiting Jared into starting stories that he won't get to finish.
I do love Jared, he's a voice of a type of gaming I'm into that doesn't get much attention time on KF unless he is present. His top 10 being much closer to mine than Tim or Greg.
How you described Daemon and Sam with Jared feels similar to how I felt with the latest Gamescast with Fran lol. At one point he put his hand on Jared's shoulder and said, "Why do you say the things you do" or something like that. It's hilarious to see the back-and-forth jabs between Jared and Fran lol, and the long connections these four have with each other make for great viewing. Their chemistry is pretty great.

Fran seems to ramble more than Jared too, so I'm curious to see how the community reacts. I quite enjoy Jared's presence despite the negativity you see in this thread/elsewhere, so I'm interested to see how people view Fran over time because imo they're similar in that regard.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
I've been thinking about doing this for a while, but in 2019 I want to keep an active tally of how many games Greg gives his bullshit "I'll definitely come back and finish this" line to.

Cue the:
"Yeah, it's always the same thing. Before I left for [convention], I was loving the game. When I got back, I'm just not feeling it anymore, so I opened up Fortnite."

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
My only complaint is that I really feel like something like the original gameovergreggy show sign should have been raffled off instead of auctioned.