• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
What's wrong? Do people not like it?
Well, besides the technical issues that made me want to punt my controller through my TV (rubberbanding, infinite loading screens, pop-in, freezing, matchmaking, sign-in, YOU NAME IT) there's also some game design issues that I had problems with, namely Fort Tarsis, which I can't even sprint in to get through that boring ass downgraded hub as fast as possible
Flying is cool (but shortlived as you'll find yourself falling out of the sky often because of overheating, guess Avengers Project is our next hope as a true Iron Man simulator), abilities are flashy, gunplay is OK, and the game can be fun when it works, especially with friends (but you can say the same thing about games like Sea of Trash), but other than that, game is a skip, especially for at least the first three-five months as they add content/patches to it
It's sad because it was my most anticipated game of 2019 and I thought, and still think to a degree that it has potential

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Fran on Gamescast on Anthem... "It's polished"..."It has the polish of a BioWare game" ???

HOW? Are they blind?
Like I don't want to be an asshole to them, but the game is anything but polished. I put Anthem in my top 10 anticipated list and I don't have a hate boner for EA.
But Anyone who says the demo even without bugs is polished should not be in gaming media. I played the Alpha which wasn't as broken as the VIP demo and the game wasn't polished.

Kinda Funny continue to be trash when it comes to games discussion. I'm sorry but it's the truth.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
HOW? Are they blind?
Like I don't want to be an asshole to them, but the game is anything but polished. I put Anthem in my top 10 anticipated list and I don't have a hate boner for EA.
But Anyone who says the demo even without bugs is polished should not be in gaming media. I played the Alpha which wasn't as broken as the VIP demo and the game wasn't polished.

Kinda Funny continue to be trash when it comes to games discussion. I'm sorry but it's the truth.

I'm assuming what they played at the event is different than the demo that just released.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming what they played at the event is different than the demo that just released.

I really hope that's the case and that's it's a completely different build. But like I said without the connection bugs or the crashes or the infinite loading screen bug, the game is still not polished. Here are some examples:

1. A lot of enemies glitches and weird animations
2. The open world have loading screens in many spots, a clear sign of lack of polish.
3. Inconsistent frame rate. Bioware dev admitted they will get it right after Launch.
Melee feel punch less.
5. The loot is not ready to use on pick up.
6. "The run speed is disabled in the hub because of streaming issues" Mark Daraah statement

Then add the bugs and crashes and it's the easiest case of saying it's unpolished. I love Bioware and I bought Andromeda day 1 and don't hate it as much as most people and this is not 100% their fault because the game need delay, but the state of the game is unpolished from everything that we've seen. I'm not even going to talk about the obvious downgrade lol

Kinda Funny need to stop the habit of praising or defending broken games.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fran has ALWAYS been an industry schill. One of the reasons I never cared for him. He pretty much was the living embodiment of "never fault for destiny or bungie for anything" during the ign destiny podcast. One of the reasons I was worried about him joining. Andrea presented at EA, she very obviously was always going to sing this game's praises.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
It's 100% a case of Fran playing in very controlled conditions at the preview event right? Had the public demo even come out when they recorded GC?

I don't think it's a slight against KF... they can only comment on what their experience actually was.

Kinda Funny need to stop the habit of praising or defending broken games.

Is it really a habit? I can't really recall any other times that's happened?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's 100% a case of Fran playing in very controlled conditions at the preview event right? Had the public demo even come out when they recorded GC?

I don't think it's a slight against KF... they can only comment on what their experience actually was.

It was the same way for destiny 2.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It was the same way for destiny 2.

How was Destiny 2 broken? Felt pretty polished when I played it at release.

Greg said he understands all the bugs and realizes the jank but said he had fun. He didn't defend the state of it.

I tried Anthem on my PC this weekend but didn't play that much because RE2 took most of my time.

I thought the gunplay and movement felt fantastic. Honestly before them demo I had less interest in the game.

Gonna try on PS4 during the open demo because I absolutely hate M/KB controls. Pretty sure they said it is mission based and not open world. The loading screens do suck though. Reminds me of old school Monster Hunter.

The running, jumping and flying were awesome though. The main hub sucks. Javelin customization was awesome.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, Fran was talking about the preview event. They recorded on Thursday and the public demo didn't start until Friday.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017

Greg said he understands all the bugs and realizes the jank but said he had fun. He didn't defend the state of it.

I tried Anthem on my PC this weekend but didn't play that much because RE2 took most of my time.

I thought the gunplay and movement felt fantastic. Honestly before them demo I had less interest in the game.

Gonna try on PS4 during the open demo because I absolutely hate M/KB controls. Pretty sure they said it is mission based and not open world. The loading screens do suck though. Reminds me of old school Monster Hunter.

The running, jumping and flying were awesome though. The main hub sucks. Javelin customization was awesome.

I said praise or defending. Saying FO76 is fun and bringing it up in multiple podcasts and topics is ultimately praising a broken game.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was less that it was broken like is the case with Anthem and more to do when people played it for more than a week a lot of issues started to arise for those who weren't just casually playing it, at which point Greg and Andrea repeatedly tried to deflect and downplay criticism of it even when it was clear there were serious problems (which was almost universally agreed upon with players once the honeymoon wore off).

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Honestly I prefer the more positive view on games that they give, where they can praise or discuss a game even though they're clear that it has problems. The perfect example of this is Tim with Smash... he was very positive on it but also clearly talked about the problems he had with the online and the SP mode. See also RE2 from this week.

If some people see that as shilling then fair enough. But it's honestly a much better way to go about things than some other Youtubers who will just be hyper-negative about anything and everything cos it generates more views.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah Tim with smash is much different than what were seeing with Anthem, Destiny, F76, etc. Tim actually went in on why there are negatives with that game while also saying its probably going to be his most played smash of all time. What were seeing with the former is barely any discussion on the negatives and in the case of destiny, outright deflecting and shielding of its problems. If it were more like Tim I would be all for it. Thats the best way to do it.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I prefer the more positive view on games that they give, where they can praise or discuss a game even though they're clear that it has problems. The perfect example of this is Tim with Smash... he was very positive on it but also clearly talked about the problems he had with the online and the SP mode. See also RE2 from this week.

If some people see that as shilling then fair enough. But it's honestly a much better way to go about things than some other Youtubers who will just be hyper-negative about anything and everything cos it generates more views.

I kind of agree with this. It's nice to see positivity in the vast abyss that is negativity in games.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I kind of agree with this. It's nice to see positivity in the vast abyss that is negativity in games.
I agree, that's why Easy Allies and Kinda Funny are the only gaming journalists/personalities I listen to
But Anthem...
463326180498604042.png

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah Tim with smash is much different than what were seeing with Anthem, Destiny, F76, etc. Tim actually went in on why there are negatives with that game while also saying its probably going to be his most played smash of all time. What were seeing with the former is barely any discussion on the negatives and in the case of destiny, outright deflecting and shielding of its problems. If it were more like Tim I would be all for it. Thats the best way to do it.

I can't speak to Destiny or FO76 as I haven't played them (although Greg did say last week he put like 12 hours into FO then got bored which is hardly a glowing review) but I can't really fault them on Anthem. Fran went to that event, clearly enjoyed what he played then came back and talked about it. That all happened before the demo went live on the weekend.

I wouldn't be surprised if all shit Bioware have been getting comes up on KFGD tomorrow.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Remember when you put it as your number 1 most anticipated game? fun times..
I know, right? Thankfully there are a lot of other games that I am excited about this year like Days Gone, The Outer Worlds, Rage 2, Man of Medan, Ultimate Alliance 3, etc.
Also hoping for stuff like TLOU2 to hit this year
And re: Anthem polish-I hate a lot about the demo I played, but you know what I hate the most? You can't respawn unless you're revived by another player! Who the fuck thought that was OK?!

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't speak to Destiny or FO76 as I haven't played them (although Greg did say last week he put like 12 hours into FO then got bored which is hardly a glowing review) but I can't really fault them on Anthem. Fran went to that event, clearly enjoyed what he played then came back and talked about it. That all happened before the demo went live on the weekend.

I wouldn't be surprised if all shit Bioware have been getting comes up on KFGD tomorrow.
I think were past the point in this medium (not just kf) where the peoplegetting flown out to play specialized versions of these games in controlled environments needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt as well as those individuals taking a more active role in cautioning audiences about their experience. Were seeing a lot of cases where what they experience is not indicative of what were ending up with, like is the case with anthem (another great example were the glowing reviews of the MCC).

It's essentially turning journalists into hype machines with distorted experiences and it's happened enough where it should be more pronounced when they have these experiences.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Haha I legit JUST listened to that part. Really good question! It prompted some interesting discussions.

Like Andy I often get sleep paralysis and that is absolutely miserable.

Meant to reply to this before but sleep paralysis has been such a regular thing for all of my life that I just find it to be more of a minor annoyance at this point than terrifying. Things stand out to me from my dreams quite often so I always like hearing what memorable things happen in other people's dreams.

That was awesome! I came here to see if you would say anything about it lol

Yeah I got real lucky. When I heard Greg talk about his bad dream on the Rooster Teeth show, it gave me hope that my question actually had a chance. (I had already submitted it by that point) Cool that it pulled thru

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean maybe its my background in research academia but choosing to omit that info when expressing your view on something would be a violation of ethical guidelines and thats more or less what I was talking about when saying their should be more recognition to whats being done here. Because even if its unlikely to have influenced her view it wouldn't be the first time that this looked shady. We can hand wave it away and make fun of it and for all we know maybe she was just a fan of the series first who approached them or this was prior to even negotiating if she would be on the reveal but there should be more recognition to that sort of influence on the industry just to at least make viewers aware that there could be conflicts on interest at play. Thats a fairly standard and middle ground approach that would cover their bases when something like this comes up.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I said praise or defending. Saying FO76 is fun and bringing it up in multiple podcasts and topics is ultimately praising a broken game.

Nothing wrong with that. If they make it clear that these bugs exist and that many people are have issues, why does it matter that they talk about their actual experience of they enjoyed it and didn't run into all of these issues? Seems like a really strange thing to grind them for.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
She attended the event. She didn't host. And everyone likes Mortal Kombat. It's the generic answer for normal people about what fighting game they like.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong with that. If they make it clear that these bugs exist and that many people are have issues, why does it matter that they talk about their actual experience of they enjoyed it and didn't run into all of these issues? Seems like a really strange thing to grind them for.
By itself it's fine. If they gonna become the outlet that gonna defend/praise every broken game and defend lootboxes and most crappy practices, then they will have a reputation. Fair or not.
I like them playing the devil advocate. However, when they say stuff like in today's Gamescast by calling Anthem polished, I'm sorry but they either lack a critical eye or they are not being honest and over looking stuff.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't help that companies are becoming more sly about how they go about this stuff, whether its giving them experiences that are souped up and not like the actual release or waiting for reviews to come out before throwing in shitty mtxs (or in the case of bungie outright trying to hide how mechanics function in an attempt to push mtxs).

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
So listened to KFGD today and they went over Bioware and the rough Demo of Anthem, and all the bugs and rubber banding and login errors they had with it over the weekend.

So maybe chill on the EA Shill/blind talk?

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
Meant to reply to this before but sleep paralysis has been such a regular thing for all of my life that I just find it to be more of a minor annoyance at this point than terrifying. Things stand out to me from my dreams quite often so I always like hearing what memorable things happen in other people's dreams.

Might be one of the most relatable things I've ever read lmao. I once had it 3 nights in a row, and on the third night of the demon peaking up from next to me to scream in my face I yelled back I was trying to sleep. Some nights it's just a total hassle and I'll sleep horribly because I'll keep getting sleep paralysis every time I fall back asleep. Those nights I normally have to wake up for an hour to even try to get back on track. It's the worst. But agreed, I also find dream discussions insanely interesting.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
So it's been a few weeks now, and I've realised something. As much as I like the new content, I really, *really* miss the Morning Show.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Might be one of the most relatable things I've ever read lmao. I once had it 3 nights in a row, and on the third night of the demon peaking up from next to me to scream in my face I yelled back I was trying to sleep. Some nights it's just a total hassle and I'll sleep horribly because I'll keep getting sleep paralysis every time I fall back asleep. Those nights I normally have to wake up for an hour to even try to get back on track. It's the worst. But agreed, I also find dream discussions insanely interesting.

A lot of the time I'll get up, turn on the lights and just walk around in my room for a couple minutes before going back to sleep so I don't fall back into it.

So it's been a few weeks now, and I've realised something. As much as I like the new content, I really, *really* miss the Morning Show.

Yeah that's a big L tbh. I do like the other stuff and am glad it exists, but having a daily show to sort of check in with them and hear their thoughts on the news of any given day was great.

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
Johnny Ace was just announced as the new host of debatable!

Followed by Greg screaming and Andy saying: "Wow, I never ever want to be on that show."

Cap10Deku

Dec 2, 2017
Seattle, Wa
Wonder why they decided not to walk about future movies during the F&F In reviews. I enjoyed them discussing the hints and precursors that were littered in the previous movies (think Avengers 2 when rewatching it now vs back when it first went out we can now see a lot of the plots started during that movie).

Not a huge deal just a curious change. Wonder if there was backlash in terms of some fans who watch this as a first time review vs LTTP review?