• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Andy's played on ton of Apex and Anthem, Fran's played a ton of Anthem and they both dabbled in The Division so...yes?
Fran played 40 hours of the anthem demo/beta. Andy and Fran played a good amount of Apex. Only Greg played Division 2 so not really much about that.
Good to hear, just gets tiring when most haven't played a game or played only 90 minutes of one to then do a discussion on it.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Even Tim has played a bunch of Apex and sounds hooked on it. That's the only segment I've listened to so far, but it was a good discussion on the game between Tim/Andy/Fran.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I get the feeling Greg likes to keep his and Gen's work separate. Like he hardly talked about The Messenger (Tim did, but I can't remember Greg ever saying anything) or Guacamelee 2 even though he's in the damn game. I imagine coming from a journalism background he's probably concerned about conflicts of interest and stuff like that.

But I agree, I think it's part of the industry that rarely gets a mention so it'd be interesting to hear her talk about it.
The fact that nobody at Kinda Funny even bothered to touch Guacamelee 2 is a damn shame. That was literally one of the best games to come out last year and is a good example of how Greg isn't the PlayStation guy anymore.

Also, complaining about review codes is the biggest "I'm out of touch" thing anyone can do and I cringe every time I see an industry person do it.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that nobody at Kinda Funny even bothered to touch Guacamelee 2 is a damn shame. That was literally one of the best games to come out last year and is a good example of how Greg isn't the PlayStation guy anymore.

Also, complaining about review codes is the biggest "I'm out of touch" thing anyone can do and I cringe every time I see an industry person do it.

You have to also remember that Portillo and Greg.... er, Shirtless Arachnid-Man.... is in the game. Maybe that's also part of it. Also, I'm a bit confused why him not playing the game is a reason he's no longer the PlayStation guy. I don't think the series is that associated with PlayStation. The original might've had some sort of timed exclusivity, but it's very much a multiplatform franchise.

Last edited:

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You have to also remember that Portillo and Greg.... er, Shirtless Arachnid-Man.... is in the game. Maybe that's also part of it. Also, I'm a bit confused why him not playing the game is a reason he's no longer the PlayStation guy. I don't think the series is that associated with PlayStation. The original might've had some sort of timed exclusivity, but it's very much a multiplatform franchise.

The game was out for months and months before he was added, so he did have ample opportunity to play it. I would say Guacamelee is pretty heavily associated with PlayStation due to Colin and Greg championing it so heavily upon its release. Also, Guacamelee 2 was console exclusive to PS4 for like 4 months. If that's not enough to be associated with PlayStation I don't know what is. In the Beyond days he would have been all over it. Him ignoring the sequel just kinda feels endemic of a larger problem; like he's losing that special quality he once had where he and Colin would unearth plenty of less-talked about gems on PlayStation consoles. I honestly don't remember the last time he really got behind an obscure PlayStation title. These days it's all GAAS, blockbusters, and indie games that everybody else has been hyping up already. IDK it just feels like he's lost touch with the ecosystem.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
The game was out for months and months before he was added, so he did have ample opportunity to play it. I would say Guacamelee is pretty heavily associated with PlayStation due to Colin and Greg championing it so heavily upon its release. Also, Guacamelee 2 was console exclusive to PS4 for like 4 months. If that's not enough to be associated with PlayStation I don't know what is. In the Beyond days he would have been all over it. Him ignoring the sequel just kinda feels endemic of a larger problem; like he's losing that special quality he once had where he and Colin would unearth plenty of less-talked about gems on PlayStation consoles. I honestly don't remember the last time he really got behind an obscure PlayStation title. These days it's all GAAS, blockbusters, and indie games that everybody else has been hyping up already. IDK it just feels like he's lost touch with the ecosystem.

Probably an unfortunate byproduct of running a small business. At IGN, he was just a cog in the system (despite being one of the faces), not having to deal with viewership analytics and whatnot. But at Kinda Funny, he might be more alert to that stuff and tries to maximize viewership, while still playing things he enjoys. Like you said, I remember when he would talk about odd obscure PSN indies like The Last Guy. Remember that game? I actually played it again via PSNow. Still lots of fun.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Tastes can change. Him not being a Playstation guy is fine. He's pretty much a Switch guy now. That's where he plays the smaller games.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Tastes can change. Him not being a Playstation guy is fine. He's pretty much a Switch guy now. That's where he plays the smaller games.

To be fair that's not a KF thing, that's an industry thing. It feels like most people have shifted from PS4/Vita to the Switch for playing indie games on console.

Also the landscape is so different to how it was in the Beyond days; back then there'd be like 1, maybe 2 games worth talking about on the podcast each week so they had the time and space to champion something like The Last Guy or Shatter or whatever. These days it seems like there's great, smaller games released every day so there's no way they can realistically champion everyone like they used to.

I mean just look at the Showcase, they showed like 70 games. If they'd done that in 2009, they would have had maybe 10 games to show.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I think if you want them to be PS fans then that time has long since been gone. I appreciate them calling out stuff like this, but I bet they won't cover the many other things in the interviews or the many other PS news that they haved skipped over the past few months. They jumped the bandwagon a long time ago.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Why is it a bad thing that they don't cover exclusively PS anymore? Because that's their background from like 4 years ago? I mainly play PS but honest think I prefer the wider coverage than just a single-console focus.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it a bad thing that they don't cover exclusively PS anymore? Because that's their background from like 4 years ago? I mainly play PS but honest think I prefer the wider coverage than just a single-console focus.

KFGD replaced PS I Love You. While them covering wider topics was expected but them glossing over PS news that they used to cover over and over was not.
None of that is bad mind you, but I think it is fine to point out, just like we used to point out that they are PS fans when they used to.

Crash

Oct 27, 2017
United States
They may not be PlayStation fans anymore but you have to admit they make great content for all the people who like to play indie games on Switch while on an airplane.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
KFGD replaced PS I Love You. While them covering wider topics was expected but them glossing over PS news that they used to cover over and over was not.
None of that is bad mind you, but I think it is fine to point out, just like we used to point out that they are PS fans when they used to.

That's all fair... I don't really listen much to KFGD these days so hadn't noticed them missing news. When I did listen it felt like they covered every story they could, even smaller ones, just to kill time.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They may not be PlayStation fans anymore but you have to admit they make great content for all the people who like to play indie games on Switch while on an airplane.

I for one am shocked that one of the biggest proponents of the Vita likes portable gaming.

It's almost like PS has stopped serving that particular niche so he has moved on to a competitor....

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I'm a huge Playstation fan, but I don't see the problem with them branching out
And I would argue that they ARE still fans of Playstation, Greg gets roasted TO THIS DAY for his Spider-Man stanning, called God of War 2018 his favorite game of all time, still hunts trophies, etc.

Crash

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I for one am shocked that one of the biggest proponents of the Vita likes portable gaming.

It's almost like PS has stopped serving that particular niche so he has moved on to a competitor....

I was just poking fun at the them because it seems like every other week they are traveling somewhere so of course all they have to play/talk about is the Switch.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

And he counted down the days to Spider-Man PS4 on his Twitter with a new Shirtless Spider-Man pic every day
Gary Whitta and Jared Petty have given him a few ribbings about it
I'm not trying to call him a paid shill, don't get me wrong
EDIT: Oh yeah and he has a Spider-Man PS4 Twitter banner too LOL

I guess i'm out of touch if that's considered stanning now.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I guess i'm out of touch if that's considered stanning now.
Anyway, that's not the point, was just trying to highlight that Greg, Tim, Andrea, etc. are still fans of Playstation, especially their first party games, they're just not afraid to call out Sony when they do shitty stuff or talk about games they're playing and enjoying on other platforms

Last edited:

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Don't forget Greg also had an "X days to Red Dead" and look how that turned out for him.
BYl3.gif

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Lmao y'all have spun me saying that it feels like Greg isn't the PlayStation guy anymore into me saying he's not a fan of them at all anymore.

As someone who recently played their Switch on a plane for the first time, I agree, their content is exponentially better after that experience.

To be fair, it's not even remotely just indie games when it comes to Greg. I feel like he's moaned about wanting every game he's interested in to be on the Switch, purely because he can play it on aeroplanes. I'm honestly surprised he hasn't started complaining that PlayStation exclusives aren't on the Switch yet. It's completely understandable though, the guy travels a whole bunch. IDK I just feel a disconnect with some of his content these days when being able to play a game on a flight is his biggest talking point, right next to an all-streaming future. Honestly, it basically all comes back to him being in such a bubble.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Boy Greg should probably try to avoid talking on the social issues questions, you can tell how nervous he is about them and his answers just come across as naive. Tim did great on that question though.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Boy Greg should probably try to avoid talking on the social issues questions, you can tell how nervous he is about them and his answers just come across as naive. Tim did great on that question though.
Same thought. Greg means well, but Tim is right, there are things now a days that are black and white, right and wrong. There is no discussion to be had regarding being a bigot/racist/homophobe/etc.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna keep reiterating how good the Gamescast has been since Fran joined. Discussion has been better, more in-depth and more focused than it was beforehand. Fran does an impressive job of breaking things down and keeping discussion on track.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I too thought it was weird and actually came hear to see if anyone made a thread about it (not saying it needed one). I know Greg means well but the whole time I was thinking dude, just no. Agreed on Tim.

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
Same thought. Greg means well, but Tim is right, there are things now a days that are black and white, right and wrong. There is no discussion to be had regarding being a bigot/racist/homophobe/etc.
I too thought it was weird and actually came hear to see if anyone made a thread about it (not saying it needed one). I know Greg means well but the whole time I was thinking dude, just no. Agreed on Tim.

What show are you referring to ?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah Greg was doing fine until he had to interject when tim said that if you're upset about this you're just wrong.

Also I'm upset video games pander to straight white men.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to the inevitable semantics battle they have on a future Games Daily. They're going to ask Kevin or Barrett to decide who wins and they're going to pick Andrea and it's going to be fun.