• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good to have gary back today.

Ive been listening to the KF guys for years but I've been completely on the outside of this whole Anthem thing. I watch all their shows and haven't noticed a big issue. I could tell from Anthem's marketing it was going to be an average at best game with the amount of personality EA was going to allow. If Greg enjoyed the game I expect him to tell me he enjoyed it. What's the issue? This all seems kind of like a dogpile to me. EA's obviously awful. I don't want to buy the game but I don't have a problem with people discussing it in a positive or negative way? If I dislike something I move on. I don't get fixated on who is "defending" what. I don't understand why people need to constantly hate something even though they aren't planning on getting it anyway? Just move on?
Idk if youre referring to here or elsewhere but for here specifically weve had this conversation to death at this point and not a single person was just hating on anthem or games daily.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Kinda Funny just lacks variety. It's the same problem for both their main and game channel.

Despite having 5 new shows this year, they still feel like the same thing re-branded. They rarely step out of their comfort zone. Content are regurgitated. Just look at In Review right now. It's still Fast and Furious. Debatable is just taking their normal debates in other shows but extend it to 1 hour and shout louder. I don't even know why they had a fund raiser for the Oreo show.

Then, most of them play the same games which is why Gamescast and Games Daily feel like they are just reiterating what they said last week. I have a strong feeling it's gonna be all Division 2/Anthem talk until Days gone. High chance that Tim will be the only one who has played DMC 5 and will talk about it for 15 minutes on one Gamescast.

Giant Bomb and Easy Allies are also gaming personalities group. They have people with different gaming taste. The fact that both Giant Bomb and Easy Allies brings up Yakuza series in their GOTY discussion and Easy Allies played Thronebreaker and Persona dancing shows their variety compared to the meta industry analysis we get 3 times a week on KF. The Video Game club is a neat idea if only they played more games. It's telling that the first one is about Assassin's Creed.

Not to mention the just concluded All systems Goku and Dan starting MHA on his podcast. I don't think we will ever see anything of this sort from KF. At the end of the day, Kinda Funny focuses too much on mainstream stuff. All the pop culture stuff they ever talk about are mainstream movies and shows. Most of the games they play are mainstream AAA games.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Ive been listening to the KF guys for years but I've been completely on the outside of this whole Anthem thing. I watch all their shows and haven't noticed a big issue. I could tell from Anthem's marketing it was going to be an average at best game with the amount of personality EA was going to allow. If Greg enjoyed the game I expect him to tell me he enjoyed it. What's the issue? This all seems kind of like a dogpile to me. EA's obviously awful. I don't want to buy the game but I don't have a problem with people discussing it in a positive or negative way? If I dislike something I move on. I don't get fixated on who is "defending" what. I don't understand why people need to constantly hate something even though they aren't planning on getting it anyway? Just move on?
Fucking hell, we've done this conversation to death at this point. Nobody was dogpiling on them for enjoying the game.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, Tim has improved considerably.

I don't know why but when he's hosting he seems to cut banter short and wants to move on really quick to the next he wants to show on explorers. He also repeats the last word his co-host said, like he's Solid Snake, and quickly moves on. It's bugging me a bit since it feels like he's rushing the show along while it is a otherwise relaxed show.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why but when he's hosting he seems to cut banter short and wants to move on really quick to the next he wants to show on explorers. He also repeats the last word his co-host said, like he's Solid Snake, and quickly moves on. It's bugging me a bit since it feels like he's rushing the show along while it is a otherwise relaxed show.
Time constraints probably, and shit I'll probably always notice that now

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Fucking hell, we've done this conversation to death at this point. Nobody was dogpiling on them for enjoying the game.

That's even not what he said. Ya'll keep making the discusison more about this than other people are, it's becoming a straw man at this point. As I've said before, there is much flak that they are getting that's not "I don't like that you like this game" that is stemming from them not being as negative as people want, it's more about this perception of them being "shills" or wanting to tip toe around critism to go easy on them, or saying their review isn't a real review of whatever. (Regardless of how much ever of that is earned or unearned crtitism). And BreadenAndEggs is asking why that critism is deserved. Never mentioning "people who hate it that they enjoy the game."

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's even not what he said. Ya'll keep making the discusison more about this than other people are, it's becoming a straw man at this point. As I've said before, there is much flak that they are getting that's not "I don't like that you like this game" that is stemming from them not being as negative as people want, it's more about this perception of them being "shills" or wanting to tip toe around critism to go easy on them, or saying their review isn't a real review of whatever. (Regardless of how much ever of that is earned or unearned crtitism). And BreadenAndEggs is asking why that critism is deserved. Never mentioning "people who hate it that they enjoy the game."
None of those criticisms are deserved or make sense, ad I don't think many people in this thread care about them.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
"If Greg enjoyed the game I expect him to tell me he enjoyed it. What's the issue? This all seems kind of like a dogpile to me." That was what the original poster said though.

None of those criticisms are deserved or make sense, ad I don't think many people in this thread care about them.
Also this

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
"If Greg enjoyed the game I expect him to tell me he enjoyed it. What's the issue? This all seems kind of like a dogpile to me." That was what the original poster said though.

That's not saying that the criticsm from these people is simply "they like the game, why". It just lends itself more to the overall point that they are being more positive than people want them to be, and that's getting them flak. I was basically saying this same thing earlier and someone mistaked my point for that. He soon after says this

I don't have a problem with people discussing it in a positive or negative way? If I dislike something I move on. I don't get fixated on who is "defending" what.
Which is targetting at all the other critism.

Edit: This is also what I feel like that Greg Anthem tweet that is notorious here is getting at, not that he's "hiding" himself from people who are just saying they literally shouldn't like the game".

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You should rereadthat persons post. They literally called it dogpiling and said to let people who enjoy the game enjoy the game, implying that's what anyone is mad about.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I did, read my next post.
No one is mad at them for being more positive on the game. Were irritated because 1. It's been a non stop topic 2. When they defend it they go completely overboard like blatantly lying about every game ever crashing their ps4, calling reviewers and critics' criticism unfair or unfounded before even playing the game for themselves, interrupting co hosts to shut down their criticism of it and 3. Acting like the backlash is undeserved and coming from haters rather than the game itself just being a subpar product.

Not a single one of those is asking them to be negative or not talk about enjoying the game. Everyone enjoys something most others find shitty. No one is angry about that or asking them to be angry Joe. Their community has however been very vocal that they've gone overboard and theres a reason they had to address it. Can we for the love of god move on from anthem now lol?

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
jviggy43 nailed it, no need to keep going in circles.
Hopefully KF learn from this and remember what a disaster it all was the next time a gaas game comes out.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can we for the love of god move on from anthem now lol?
seeing anthem basically absent from GD yesterday was such a relief

that game just needs to be put behind us. maybe someday it will be good, but i won't be giving the game any time, thought, or money until that day comes. until then there are hundreds of other games that are actually deserving of our attention even though "BIOWARE" isn't on the box

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Andrea joked about quitting but I felt there was some genuine feeling in that joke. I sincerely hope she doesn't but I fear her comments today will only cause more uproar. Refusing to being open to criticism is a bad recipe for being in media.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why she's so combative and dismissive on kinda funny, she seems so much more chill on the what's good games podcast.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly she doesn't fit.
I think she's great for the most part. Her coverage of Anthem is just bizarre, and at this point she's received so much feedback on it I get the impression she feels like she's the victim and will refuse to listen to response with sincerity.

The latest Easy Allies podcasts opens up with a discussion segment where they do a great job apologizing for a discussion they had the previous week. Addressing fan concerns in a genuine way doesn't have to be a huge deal / admission of defeat or anything like that.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I'm glad Andrea is on the shows, they need a woman's POV for certain topics and I kinda wish they would've hired another minority full time.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
I actually miss when Jared would refrain from commenting on anything EA related because of his previous ties, Feels like Andrea is so beholden to her previous work with EA that she is literally incapable of being objective or sharing any criticisms for fear of not getting another gig with them.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I actually miss when Jared would refrain from commenting on anything EA related because of his previous ties, Feels like Andrea is so beholden to her previous work with EA that she is literally incapable of being objective or sharing any criticisms for fear of not getting another gig with them.
I don't think that's it. I think she is coming from the angle of "game development is hard, lets not dogpile on the developers and blow everything out of proportion." Which I understand, but I think she is handling it wrong. And I don't think people are mad at Bioware. I think most people are mad at EA for forcing them to release it before it was ready.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
To be honest I've never really cared for Andrea on KF. I have enjoyed shows she's been on from time to time, mostly more casual things like the Extra Life streams, but more often than not I find her frustrating to listen to.

Like you're entitled to your opinion, but doubling down when you've been proven wrong (and I'm not talking about Anthem here) is really annoying. Especially so in a podcast setting when no one other than the co-host can argue back, and especially so when the podcast you're on has a section called You're Wrong.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's that. I think she is just such a huge BioWare fan that she wants to defend them.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Andrea joked about quitting but I felt there was some genuine feeling in that joke. I sincerely hope she doesn't but I fear her comments today will only cause more uproar. Refusing to being open to criticism is a bad recipe for being in media.

Damn. It's really Colin all over again. Refute any criticism and rather die on the hill than take the step down.

At least she doesn't flaunt around a history degree and be a jerk on political matters.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think Andrea fits in really well and has amazing chemistry with Greg. Their back and forth always feels natural and they just jive will together. With that said I cannot believe they went back to the anthem well today. Like how unselfaware can you possibly be, no one is happy with the coverage youre giving this game. This wasn't a segment about how much theyre enjoying the game, how problems dont bother them because theyre still having fun- it was another segment where they specifically brought up real problems, downplayed the issues and told gamers they were overreacting to the problems at hand. I just truly don't understand how they can be this oblivious. No other game this gen that I'm aware of is forcing you to reboot your console in safety mode because of a patch (least of all from a major triple A release). Andrea even going so far as to suggest this is actually commendable and we should be appreciative of the devs fixing this so fast (while telling greg "then just dont play the game until its patched" for a full priced 60 dollar game, that requires a couple of weeks of waiting for a fix) is up there with "every single game Ive ever played has crashed my ps4" and "I havent played the game but I'm going to tell everyone that has and is professionally reviewing it that criticizing x,y and z that theyre wrong" levels of insanity.

Like yeah gaming has come a long way but online gaming, let alone merely 4 player co-op PVE games, have been a staple of gaming for two generations, the magic wore off because thats what happens when its been two console generations since this stuff was new to gaming. Acting like we should still be bewildered by common practices, and then should be thankful when a dev fixes a problem that shouldn't have existed in their full price game in the first place, is all sorts of backwards to me. When I buy a car I'm not thankful that my dealer fixes a problem that they didn't see when selling it to me, its the very minimum I expect from them when selling me a product that was supposed to come without issues.

It would be incredibly sad if she actually quit over this. Like just take a step back and realize its perfectly ok to really love this game but there is no reason to come on this show and defend it with such dismissive attitudes and tell blatant lies about your experiences with gaming in order to downplay the problems at hand. Like nobody in the world believed her "every game soft bricks my ps4 just like anthem" spiel when she said it. It was just a brazen hyperbolic lie, why did you say something so ridiculous to mitigate the backlash? Even if every game does do this (it doesnt), it still doesn't excuse Anthem for doing it. Telling your audience repeatedly that theyre going overboard for not wanting a full priced game to be soft bricking their system is just as silly, its a serious issue and the fact its gonna take them a couple weeks to fix it isn't super common or something to be praised. Like its insane how intransigent shes being about this, and its insane that they seriously keep coming back to this game when their coverage continues to be "let us tell you why youre wrong to be concerned about Anthem's issues", and then when called on it act like its a hate mob or people telling you not to like the game, or that people just want EA to fail (apex says hello), or titling your videos "Anthem vs the world", because poor little billion dollar anthem is getting criticism for powering down people's consoles-let alone all of its other problems.

I just dont get what theyre thinking and how theyre this oblivious to the situation. Its almost as incredible as watching the anthem train wreck itself. Theres no reason to go down with this ship.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Kinda Funny just lacks variety. It's the same problem for both their main and game channel.

Despite having 5 new shows this year, they still feel like the same thing re-branded. They rarely step out of their comfort zone. Content are regurgitated. Just look at In Review right now. It's still Fast and Furious. Debatable is just taking their normal debates in other shows but extend it to 1 hour and shout louder. I don't even know why they had a fund raiser for the Oreo show.

Then, most of them play the same games which is why Gamescast and Games Daily feel like they are just reiterating what they said last week. I have a strong feeling it's gonna be all Division 2/Anthem talk until Days gone. High chance that Tim will be the only one who has played DMC 5 and will talk about it for 15 minutes on one Gamescast.

Giant Bomb and Easy Allies are also gaming personalities group. They have people with different gaming taste. The fact that both Giant Bomb and Easy Allies brings up Yakuza series in their GOTY discussion and Easy Allies played Thronebreaker and Persona dancing shows their variety compared to the meta industry analysis we get 3 times a week on KF. The Video Game club is a neat idea if only they played more games. It's telling that the first one is about Assassin's Creed.

Not to mention the just concluded All systems Goku and Dan starting MHA on his podcast. I don't think we will ever see anything of this sort from KF. At the end of the day, Kinda Funny focuses too much on mainstream stuff. All the pop culture stuff they ever talk about are mainstream movies and shows. Most of the games they play are mainstream AAA games.

Yup and there's wayyyyyyy too much stuff right now...hate to harp on it but it's true.

I guess Andrea is now the permanent 4th chair on the Gamescast now too...ugh....poor Tim.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Kinda Funny are quite literally the only outlet still discussing this game. Thankfully, we have DMC5 and a Days Gone preview for this Gamescast, otherwise, it would just be more beating of this dead horse. It would be nice if we could get some discussion on any of the other notable games that have released so far this year like Ace Combat 7, Jump Force, Metro Exodus, Trials Rising etc. Heck, maybe Greg could even go back and play the handful of games he's already promised to "get back to" this year!

lemonade

May 8, 2018
this year like Ace Combat 7, Jump Force, Metro Exodus, Trials Rising etc.

These games are too niche for Kinda Funny. Besides Tim, Kinda Funny only cover games from major publishers.

It feels wrong to say this but somehow among the games KF regularly covers, Sony first party exclusives can feel like niche games because they just don't play any other games. (Besides Tim because of Nintendo).

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
These games are too niche for Kinda Funny. Besides Tim, Kinda Funny only cover games from major publishers.

It feels wrong to say this but somehow among the games KF regularly covers, Sony first party exclusives can feel like niche games because they just don't play any other games. (Besides Tim because of Nintendo).

It's basically 3 GaaS heavy personalities.........and Tim.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Yup Division 2 will get all the coverage until Days Gone comes out lol

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They even made a passing reference to my subreddit post yet either only ended up reading the title of it or just handwaved the issue.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
It's basically 3 GaaS heavy personalities.........and Tim.

I honestly don't know when Greg became a GaaS fanatic. Like how did this happen? He never sticks to a GaaS game in the past. It doesn't matter if it was Destiny, Division 1 or Fortnite. I would argue Monster Hunter might be the "GaaS" game he played for the longest.

Yet he is preaching Division 2 day in and day out right now and I'm just like what? I would buy it if Greg actually grinded in one of these GaaS game's endgame for a couple month instead of jumping ship after 1 month and start to hype up the next one.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Damn. It's really Colin all over again. Refute any criticism and rather die on the hill than take the step down.

At least she doesn't flaunt around a history degree and be a jerk on political matters.
On the other hand she lacks the knowledge Collin has when it comes to games. Same with Jared, one might not like them but they have a extremely knowledge about games. Especially older games.

I do still miss Jared

lemonade

May 8, 2018
On the other hand she lacks the knowledge Collin has when it comes to games.

I don't agree. I can still remember Colin shitting on games before they come out and proclaim "Colin was right" after without playing any of it.

I was glad his stubborn old man ass was gone. He was the type of person who only believes in himself and sometimes a few others.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Division 2 is definitely going to be all they talk about until Days Gone, with a brief sidebar for Tim to talk about Yoshi for 15 minutes on one episode. It's going to be interesting to see what they cover after Days Gone though. From a cursory glance, there isn't anything that jumps out as something they'd play until Crash Team Racing in late June.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Andrea is way better than collin but her stubborn attitude about being wrong is similar. Which sucks that a day after greg and tim seemed to have a genuine dialogue with everyone about the issues and that they were open to criticism and listening to feedback they follow it up with Andrea telling gamers theyre wrong, blowing everything out of proportion because they hate EA and that we should be thankful that a dev is fixing a problem that never should have existed in the first place.

Honestly I wish sekiro was a game they would do a party mode of to get Tim to finally jump into the dark souls esque games. He says hes intimidated but theyre really not at all hard and it would be great to see them trying something out of their comfort zone.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It would really be a blow if Andrea left.

Her and Greg have great chemistry. Her hosting with Tim is pretty fun too.

They need to calm down on the Anthem stuff in general. Just stop talking about it. I'm fine with GaaS. KF in general has never been on the same line of games that I like to play totally. I'm in more for the personality and them talking with each other.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I did feel bad for Andrea when she said she felt like she couldn't or shouldn't speak about Anthem. That moment made it pretty clear that all this stuff has really taken a toll. I agree with most of the criticisms addressed here and I've been quite frustrated with KF these past couple of weeks. But I think Greg has been "complicit" (strong term, I just don't know how else to phrase it) in all this bullshit and yet I assume that she must be getting so much more shit thrown at her over this. It's tough.

In a way, I feel like her weird statements about EA wouldn't stand out as much if Greg was willing to push back a little bit. If there was more debate, more back and forth, Andrea playing devil's advocate would make more sense. But he always just nods in silence during these tangents, which he doesn't do quite as much with the other hosts. I think he wants to give her some space and sometimes, that backfires.

Anyway, I'm not sure where I'm going with this, lol. I just think the kind of amplified pressure she has on her shoulders must be ultra fucking stressful. So even though her opinions often drive me mad, I still empathize with her on that level.
I honestly don't know when Greg became a GaaS fanatic. Like how did this happen? He never sticks to a GaaS game in the past. It doesn't matter if it was Destiny, Division 1 or Fortnite. I would argue Monster Hunter might be the "GaaS" game he played for the longest.

Yet he is preaching Division 2 day in and day out right now and I'm just like what? I would buy it if Greg actually grinded in one of these GaaS game's endgame for a couple month instead of jumping ship after 1 month and start to hype up the next one.
Well, if MMOs count, it all started with DC Universe online :P
The original sin.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
It would really be a blow if Andrea left.

Her and Greg have great chemistry. Her hosting with Tim is pretty fun too.

They need to calm down on the Anthem stuff in general. Just stop talking about it. I'm fine with GaaS. KF in general has never been on the same line of games that I like to play totally. I'm in more for the personality and them talking with each other.

Doesn't Greg and Andrea basically agree about everything? That's not really that interesting to be honest.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eh the victim card fell flat for me. She said she felt she couldn't talk about the game then went on to talk about the game for the next ten minutes. Shes doing what Collin did where shes being stubborn, getting called for it with legitimate criticism, and doubling down and acting like everyone else is wrong and just out to get EA and overreacting.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Eh the victim card fell flat for me. She said she felt she couldn't talk about the game then went on to talk about the game for the next ten minutes. Shes doing what Collin did where shes being stubborn, getting called for it with legitimate criticism, and doubling down and acting like everyone else is wrong and just out to get EA and overreacting.
This.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

Most of her opinions match perfectly with Michael Pachter and i'm not joking.

She is one of those that

"Western companies are always better, she will always defend them (especially EA) no matter how badly they screw up, Japan (except Sony) is outdated and predictable so she doesn't care and often bashes those companies."

She often says she wants to have a discussion but in reality she doesn't care about the comments or read but no reply, so it's not really a discussion. (and i said discussions not insults, she's right about those) I tried many times fact-checking her since she likes to throw some false claim and then defending it and that is borderline spreading fake news, you can try in the "You're Wrong" but sometimes she argues about those too, and i know i'm not the only one who tried. It's an opinion based on listening to her regularly on KFGD and sometimes WGG.

It's good to hear different perspectives for sure, so i'll still listen to her opinions on gaming, but certain days depending on the event you can skip those episodes, cause you already know where she stands (for example her reactions to Pokémon, or any day with big EA news)

Last edited:

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Most of her opinions match perfectly with Michael Pachter and i'm not joking.

She is one of those that

"Western companies are always better, she will always defend them (especially EA) no matter how badly they screw up, Japan (except Sony) is outdated and predictable so she doesn't care and often bashes those companies."

She often says she wants to have a discussion but in reality she doesn't care about the comments or read but no reply, so it's not really a discussion. (and i said discussions not insults, she's right about those) I tried many times fact-checking her since she likes to throw some really bold and false claims without evidences and that is spreading fake news, you can try in the "You're Wrong" but then she argues about those too, and i know i'm not the only one who tried. It's an opinion based on listening to her regularly on KFGD and sometimes WGG.

It's good to hear different perspectives for sure, but certain days you can skip those episodes, cause you already know where she stands (for example her reactions to Pokémon, or any day with big EA news)

Talking about Japanese games. Why is so sure P5 is never coming to Switch?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Whats crazy is Andrea's take on anthem on whats good games is so even keeled and totally level headed. If this is how she presented her arguments and held conversations on kfgd there likely would be no blowback. Very strange dichotomy

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Talking about Japanese games. Why is so sure P5 is never coming to Switch?

Did she say that? She probably wants a PS console exclusive to stay exclusive or just to upset Nintendo fans i don't know.

Personally i've always thought Persona 5 was not coming to the Switch because of the old Persona : Sony = SMT : Nintendo which has been a thing for more than a decade. (so there has to be some exclusivity deal behind)