• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So games wouldn't be clutter if they came with meaningless manuals lmao? Also, by your definition basically everything in a house is clutter. Do we really need that kitchen table? It's just a big hunk of wood that takes up space.
Hmmm, yeah no. Both of those things have value compared to a game case. Manuals have game tips and kitchen tables you eat on. What do you do with a game case? smh but clearly it means alot to you so I see your point.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I'm really enjoying these little skits and behind the scenes style bits on KFAF... I wonder if they're looking at the response they're getting and planning more of that sort of thing?

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
In today's Games Daily Greg said people are angry at the Stadia announcement because Google was vague and made people believe that they'd only need 1Mbps before finally revealing that people would need 25Mbps. Literally nobody thought this or is mad because of this.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Listening to yesterday's Games Daily and Greg asks Emma why she likes physical media and refers to it as "clutter". Does he not realise we don't all live in a shoebox apartment in San Francisco? Also, does he think people with physical media just throw their games on the floor and are tripping over them constantly, rather than using a shelf?

It will never cease to amaze me that people working for companies like KF and IGN still have to live in shitty apartments/have housemates in SF. Madness. I think after a while the allure of being that close to all the tech companies would lose its allure and I'd crave, you know, square feet. Props to them for sticking with it.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It will never cease to amaze me that people working for companies like KF and IGN still have to live in shitty apartments/have housemates in SF. Madness. I think after a while the allure of being that close to all the tech companies would lose its allure and I'd crave, you know, square feet. Props to them for sticking with it.
Kinda Funny really should move out of SF, but with the number of employees they have now I struggle to see it happening. They always cite needing to stay in SF to have access to devs and stuff but having actual devs on doesn't happen too often. The only constant benefit they get in SF is that there is always somebody around to fill in for Games Daily.

Lmao, I never heard that complaint. Wtf.
It's a complete misrepresentation of the problems people have with Stadia, which is, unfortunately, becoming something Greg does quite often.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Kinda Funny really should move out of SF, but with the number of employees they have now I struggle to see it happening. They always cite needing to stay in SF to have access to devs and stuff but having actual devs on doesn't happen too often. The only constant benefit they get in SF is that there is always somebody around to fill in for Games Daily.

Yeah they could be so better off if they moved away. It's not like their business lives or dies on them being in SF (I don't think so, anyway). And they could always travel out for big review events if need be.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017

I'd say it's definitely too late for them to move at this point. If they were still just four people sure, but there's too many employees each with their own significant others. Maybe, just maybe, they could move to an adjacent city, but that'd be the furthest I could see them going,

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
Can anyone really imagine Tim ever moving out of SF? It's like a meme at this point how little he enjoys or understands other places.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
It's not even the lame jokes (there were never funny), it's that they know nothing about it. Even when they were informed they kinda blew it off.
I feel like people don't even listen. He had Barrett go find the reddit post about epic and why it's bad. How is that blowing it off? Not even having it on the list is blowing it off

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people don't even listen. He had Barrett go find the reddit post about epic and why it's bad. How is that blowing it off? Not even having it on the list is blowing it off
I've literally just watched it.

They go down the list and go "huh", and immediately go on to the next story.

Hell, before that they were criticizing Valve for the 30% cut, despite it being the industry standard.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I've literally just watched it.

They go down the list and go "huh", and immediately go on to the next story.

Hell, before that they were criticizing Valve for the 30% cut, despite it being the industry standard.

I don't think that's entirely fair... they did go out of their way to find out why people aren't happy with EGS and read the list out. Also Greg did say that neither of them are in that ecosystem so don't really have a horse in the race. I don't see what more they could have done tbh.

As an aside, I find it super weird when they just randomly dip into kayfabe WWE stuff with Xavier, like one minute he's Austin Creed the person then suddenly he's Xavier Woods the wrestler. Like when he hinted at quitting WWE it really threw me off until I realised it was related to the Kofi stuff.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's entirely fair... they did go out of their way to find out why people aren't happy with EGS and read the list out. Also Greg did say that neither of them are in that ecosystem so don't really have a horse in the race. I don't see what more they could have done tbh.

As an aside, I find it super weird when they just randomly dip into kayfabe WWE stuff with Xavier, like one minute he's Austin Creed the person then suddenly he's Xavier Woods the wrestler. Like when he hinted at quitting WWE it really threw me off until I realised it was related to the Kofi stuff.
I dunno, I guess I'd have rather they did a little research/reading before the show

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Not just their PC discussions that sucks, pretty much anything tbh.

On KFGD Sekiro discussion today, did they forget that Activision is publishing the game? Why is every discussion outside of their comfort zone of GaaS games is so bad. Why did Greg wanted to talk about the Division instead in a reply to fan question and the guest had to steer the discussion back to sekiro to remain on topic? Did I just notice in recent months/years or are have they always been this bad?

Greg says these games sell in the thousands? like really. I think Kinda Funny is really bad right now in most discussions. They have a daily news show and they are clueless, if this isn't the epitome of irony I don't know what is.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Kinda Funny Daily has been shit (minus for when some guests come on and save it) for a long while.

I use timestamps so much lately.

Andrea "shill defence force" Rene.
Greg "I don't have time to play games to discuss but can play 50 hours of The Division 2 in a weekend" Miller

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Not just their PC discussions that sucks, pretty much anything tbh.

Kinda Funny Daily has been shit (minus for when some guests come on and save it) for a long while.

Please don't take this the wrong way because I mean it as a genuine question, but if you guys feel this way, why do you still listen? I mean, I have some issues with KF but generally still enjoy their shows, but you guys seem to hate everything they do. So why not find something else to listen to?

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
My bad, we'll pretend they're perfect in future.
Critiscm is fine, but it's relentless and some of it is so dumb and unfounded. 'All Greg plays is Division 2!'. It's been his most hyped game since it was announced. Like, no shit he's gonna be playing a lot of it. Guarantee most of us are the same.

He gets criticised for not talking about PC (despite not being the best informed on it as it's not his platform) then gets criticised for being uninformed on other topics. What do you want? Dude can't win.

GAAS gets talked a out a lot because it's a huge topic in the industry currently, and on KFGD where the guests revolve of course it'll get brought up a lot because people have differing opinions on it. The conversation with Andrea is not the same conversation that will be had with Jason Schrier.

Greg runs a successful business, is hugely in demand for industry events, has a wife, a dog...of course he can't play everything. No one can! He's not beholden to play every game like he was at IGN and would rather focus on playing the things he actually wants to. I've got absolutely no issue with that. If his game doesn't jive with you then so be it but don't get pissy because he's not covering DMC or whatever. I couldn't give less of a shit about Kingdom Hearts and all that pish but don't shit the bed everytime it was brought up.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Please don't take this the wrong way because I mean it as a genuine question, but if you guys feel this way, why do you still listen? I mean, I have some issues with KF but generally still enjoy their shows, but you guys seem to hate everything they do. So why not find something else to listen to?

Because I started listening to them since Beyond 200 probably more than the over whelming majority of their fans. It's a hard habit to break. I have been positive on them and you don't have to go back too far in this thread to find some of my positive/defending posts. For example, I will always defend them when people call them names like shills, I find that unacceptable.

Regardless, you are right and I'm starting to believe it's time to move on. I held hope for them to improve and they have in some fun spurts that made me believe. However, the fluff identity of KF never went away and it kept getting bigger and it reached this point of them sometimes being less informed than their audience which is not a good imo. I hate to bring another group into this, but another similar Gaming Youtube company Patreon is reaching high after high while KF Patreon has been catering in the past 6 months. I wanted them to improve but unfortunately that didn't happen and fan cuddling won't get them to improve.
Anyways, it's been fun overall and I don't regret listening to them all these years and wish them luck.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because I started listening to them since Beyond 200 probably more than the over whelming majority of their fans. It's a hard habit to break. I have been positive on them and you don't have to go back too far in this thread to find some of my positive/defending posts. For example, I will always defend them when people call them names like shills, I find that unacceptable.

Regardless, you are right and I'm starting to believe it's time to move on. I held hope for them to improve and they have in some fun spurts that made me believe. However, the fluff identity of KF never went away and it kept getting bigger and it reached this point of them sometimes being less informed than their audience which is not a good imo. I hate to bring another group into this, but another similar Gaming Youtube company Patreon is reaching high after high while KF Patreon has been catering in the past 6 months. I wanted them to improve but unfortunately that didn't happen and fan cuddling won't get them to improve.
Anyways, it's been fun overall and I don't regret listening to them all these years and wish them luck.
Who? I am looking for someone who puts out enough content to replace KF for me.

I'll still listen to KFAF but I think I am done with their gaming stuff.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Greg runs a successful business, is hugely in demand for industry events, has a wife, a dog...of course he can't play everything. No one can! He's not beholden to play every game like he was at IGN and would rather focus on playing the things he actually wants to. I've got absolutely no issue with that. If his game doesn't jive with you then so be it but don't get pissy because he's not covering DMC or whatever. I couldn't give less of a shit about Kingdom Hearts and all that pish but don't shit the bed everytime it was brought up.

Greg "only playing the games he wants to" makes for awful content and makes him hopelessly uninformed, to the point where I find better analysis of games and the wider industry in the comments of their YouTube videos. Then there's the fact that his "reviews" are mostly just him saying he had fun.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I am really bad at putting thoughts into words but these posts for me pretty much.

Greg "only playing the games he wants to" makes for awful content and makes him hopelessly uninformed, to the point where I find better analysis of games and the wider industry in the comments of their YouTube videos. Then there's the fact that his "reviews" are mostly just him saying he had fun.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017

I was talking about Easy allies. Their patreon reached over 9200 people and their income constantly over $50k due to them listening to fans feedback after many months or years of them being way behind KF in terms of patrons. Meanwhile, KF Patreon is out of the top 50 and the KFG patreon is number 48 when they used to be in the top 10 all the time. Source:
https://graphtreon.com/top-patreon-creators

I don't think they put out the same amount of KF gaming content due to the lack of something similar to KFGD.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was talking about Easy allies. Their patreon reached over 9200 people and their income constantly over $50k due to them listening to fans feedback after many months or years of them being way behind KF in terms of patrons. Meanwhile, KF Patreon is out of the top 50 and the KFG patreon is number 48 when they used to be in the top 10 all the time. Source:
https://graphtreon.com/top-patreon-creators

I don't think they put out the same amount of KF gaming content due to the lack of something similar to KFGD.
Ah, I already sub to EZA. I need daily content to make it through the work week.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Critiscm is fine, but it's relentless and some of it is so dumb and unfounded. 'All Greg plays is Division 2!'. It's been his most hyped game since it was announced. Like, no shit he's gonna be playing a lot of it. Guarantee most of us are the same.

He gets criticised for not talking about PC (despite not being the best informed on it as it's not his platform) then gets criticised for being uninformed on other topics. What do you want? Dude can't win.

GAAS gets talked a out a lot because it's a huge topic in the industry currently, and on KFGD where the guests revolve of course it'll get brought up a lot because people have differing opinions on it. The conversation with Andrea is not the same conversation that will be had with Jason Schrier.

Do the research before the show rather than asking someone else during? Just a thought.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really only in for KFAF now, I just throw KFGD on as background noise whilst I take a shower now

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Of course no one can play every game. But that doesn't mean our criticism of them not playing games any less valid. We are not asking them to play all the games there is to play but right now, their gaming content is honestly quite poor.

GaaS is a hot topic but why would I listen to Greg talk about GaaS when he never commits to any of them. The point of GaaS is the end game content and grind over time. Why would I give a shit when they drop every GaaS game after a month?

Right now, the majority of KF (besides Tim basically) only play two types of games:

1. Mainstream AAA game from one of the major publishers. Note that this game either has to have a campaign less than 30 hours or it's a GaaS. If it's a RPG, souls-like game, Japanese game etc, well tough shit, KF "just don't have time"

2. Switch airplane "I travel all the time so I only have time to play on my Switch" games. Also note, the switch games need to be games that you can pick up and put down at any time. If the game has a story or a long campaign? Tough shit, KF "just don't have time". An perfect example is Hollow Knight. A universally praised indie game that's perfect for the Switch. But it has a long campaign and that ain't gonna cut it for Kinda Funny who does "World Tour" now.

Now I understand people have different taste in games. But Kinda Funny now has a decent number of employees but the variety is just not there. Look at Easy Allies, they have people for different genre of games but KF have a group of people who just never have time for any games.

There is no variety, no varied taste. They always don't have enough time to play games. It's crazy how they can have 4 people on Gamescast but somehow talked about Division 2 for the whole episode. I don't see Giant Bomb, Easy Allies talking about ONE game for an entire episode of their gaming podcast. What's good games is also better on the variety front. Andrea is the GaaS person but they have two more employees who play different type of games.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Of course no one can play every game. But that doesn't mean our criticism of them not playing games any less valid. We are not asking them to play all the games there is to play but right now, their gaming content is honestly quite poor.

GaaS is a hot topic but why would I listen to Greg talk about GaaS when he never commits to any of them. The point of GaaS is the end game content and grind over time. Why would I give a shit when they drop every GaaS game after a month?

Right now, the majority of KF (besides Tim basically) only play two types of games:

1. Mainstream AAA game from one of the major publishers. Note that this game either has to have a campaign less than 30 hours or it's a GaaS. If it's a RPG, souls-like game, Japanese game etc, well tough shit, KF "just don't have time"

2. Switch airplane "I travel all the time so I only have time to play on my Switch" games. Also note, the switch games need to be games that you can pick up and put down at any time. If the game has a story or a long campaign? Tough shit, KF "just don't have time". An perfect example is Hollow Knight. A universally praised indie game that's perfect for the Switch. But it has a long campaign and that ain't gonna cut it for Kinda Funny who does "World Tour" now.

Now I understand people have different taste in games. But Kinda Funny now has a decent number of employees but the variety is just not there. Look at Easy Allies, they have people for different genre of games but KF have a group of people who just never have time for any games.

There is no variety, no varied taste. They always don't have enough time to play games. It's crazy how they can have 4 people on Gamescast but somehow talked about Division 2 for the whole episode. I don't see Giant Bomb, Easy Allies talking about ONE game for an entire episode of their gaming podcast. What's good games is also better on the variety front. Andrea is the GaaS person but they have two more employees who play different type of games.

To be fair I think Hollow Knight is also a little above their difficulty scale.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, it is what it is. The conversational nature they have is unmatched. You can't really be too strict with what they can say and do every week and have that same tone. I think they know that and is why they have so much non gaming content. We're blessed though because as listeners we have GiantBomb and Kotaku Splitscreen! Variety is the spice of life and every podcast doesn't have to do that same thing.

edit: Plus it seems like they get codes and have sponsors behind the camera for alot of games. I don't really want to hear their glowing reviews of every game to be honest

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017

I can definitely appreciate having a sentimental attachment after listening to the same people for that long. I feel the same to an extent, I've been listening to Greg since Beyond episode 100 and there's no denying there's been a significant change over that time; I don't think KF is as strong now as it way in 2015/16 or the Beyond days but overall I still enjoy what they do. I think also they do so much now that it's okay to admit that not everything is for everyone. I'll probably never listen to an episode of Internet Explorers or Screencast or Debatable but I still like KFGD and KFAF.

On another note, Jason Schreier is on Gamescast this week so I'm expecting a good episode.