• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Critiscm is fine, but it's relentless and some of it is so dumb and unfounded. 'All Greg plays is Division 2!'. It's been his most hyped game since it was announced. Like, no shit he's gonna be playing a lot of it. Guarantee most of us are the same.

He gets criticised for not talking about PC (despite not being the best informed on it as it's not his platform) then gets criticised for being uninformed on other topics. What do you want? Dude can't win.

GAAS gets talked a out a lot because it's a huge topic in the industry currently, and on KFGD where the guests revolve of course it'll get brought up a lot because people have differing opinions on it. The conversation with Andrea is not the same conversation that will be had with Jason Schrier.

Greg runs a successful business, is hugely in demand for industry events, has a wife, a dog...of course he can't play everything. No one can! He's not beholden to play every game like he was at IGN and would rather focus on playing the things he actually wants to. I've got absolutely no issue with that. If his game doesn't jive with you then so be it but don't get pissy because he's not covering DMC or whatever. I couldn't give less of a shit about Kingdom Hearts and all that pish but don't shit the bed everytime it was brought up.

What made this work back in the day is Greg was on the PS Beat at IGN (when they had individual beats), and he was host of a PS specific podcast. So like you knew what you were getting into going in.

I've always felt they need to pivot so to speak on their gaming coverage, and just call it like it is. It's just console coverage especially now that the Vita is dead. Always felt like if KoF just straight up was like we aren't PC players, cut the jokes, and just say you're better off looking for that coverage elsewhere (maybe even plug a friend of KoF who does) that then they could move on. Just reframe their coverage a little.

IDK if this makes sense to anyone.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Just FYI this week's Gamescast is really great. Probably my favourite of the year so far.

The first half they went through a ton of indie games that they saw at GDC and some of them sound really interesting, especially that Katana game. The second half is an actual balanced discussion on next-gen/streaming, with Jason on one side, Tim on the other and Greg and Fran somewhere in the middle. It's good to hear legitimate arguments against Stadia actually being brought up and listened to on KF and not just dismissed. I think the fact it comes from someone as well respected as Jason Schreier helps a lot.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Finally watched this week's KFAF. It's their best work. Nick and Andy have insane chemistry.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
And just watched their stand up. Andy was so good. Holy shit, lol.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Not enough talk about the KF stand up in this thread. I thought ya'll would be more morbidly curious thatn that. Damn.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Not enough talk about the KF stand up in this thread. I thought ya'll would be more morbidly curious thatn that. Damn.
I watched it and thought they all did pretty good, especially for their first time being on a stage and doing it live. I guess doing a show for the past 4+ years every day and having "characters" kinda helps them out a bit. Andy was of course the best. He started off a bit rough, but I like how it was kind of part of the act. Kevin did way better than I thought he would. I think he said he practiced a ton of times beforehand, which shows. He's been really rough hosting Screencast, so I was surprised to see how well he flowed in his set. When Tim was on the mic, I could barely hear him, dunno why. He had a few good lines, but nothing really stood out to me. Greg just told a story, which is what he's good at, but it wasn't really that funny. I kinda stopped caring after they were done, so I was half listening to Elise's set, but it appeared she did ok. Didn't even watch the rest since i don't really know those people.

Now I need to find some time to watch the documentary.

Crash

Oct 27, 2017
United States
wSJuT6e.png

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I watched it and thought they all did pretty good, especially for their first time being on a stage and doing it live. I guess doing a show for the past 4+ years every day and having "characters" kinda helps them out a bit. Andy was of course the best. He started off a bit rough, but I like how it was kind of part of the act. Kevin did way better than I thought he would. I think he said he practiced a ton of times beforehand, which shows. He's been really rough hosting Screencast, so I was surprised to see how well he flowed in his set. When Tim was on the mic, I could barely hear him, dunno why. He had a few good lines, but nothing really stood out to me. Greg just told a story, which is what he's good at, but it wasn't really that funny. I kinda stopped caring after they were done, so I was half listening to Elise's set, but it appeared she did ok. Didn't even watch the rest since i don't really know those people.

Now I need to find some time to watch the documentary.

bruh you need to open your third eye and go back to watch elyse's set. Her's was right behind Andy's imo. I don't know the non KF guys much either.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a week behind, but did anybody else think it was a little funny how easy Xavier/Austin thought his game dev company idea was going to be? Like after a couple small games they'll just be able to buy the Twisted Metal franchise, lol. I wish him luck, but I think it's going to be a lot tougher than he's expecting. I don't expect to see him presenting at E3 anytime soon.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I'm a week behind, but did anybody else think it was a little funny how easy Xavier/Austin thought his game dev company idea was going to be? Like after a couple small games they'll just be able to buy the Twisted Metal franchise, lol. I wish him luck, but I think it's going to be a lot tougher than he's expecting. I don't expect to see him presenting at E3 anytime soon.

I mean yes it won't be easy but it sounds like he'll have the WWE backing him so he won't be short of funding. And he's being realistic about scale, rather than just saying he wants to make AAA games straight away.

Yeah it's ambitious but I don't see it as that unrealistic.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I mean yes it won't be easy but it sounds like he'll have the WWE backing him so he won't be short of funding. And he's being realistic about scale, rather than just saying he wants to make AAA games straight away.

Yeah it's ambitious but I don't see it as that unrealistic.
Does he have WWE backing? It sounded like he was still floating the idea to them. He threw out the idea of a Diner Dash clone with one of the wrestlers iirc, and I just don't think that's going to be off to a good start.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah I had similar thoughts. I assume he can't be that unaware of the actual ramifications/difficulty, but who knows. We'll see how it goes.

wut

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Crimes wasn't a great film.

Such wasted potential.

Btw, ya'll know what their film opinions are like.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
He doesn't think the film is good. He probably just said that at the panel because he didn't want to get all nuanced about it.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Finally watched some of the stand up. Didnt see Tim or Greg yet.

Nick honestly wasn't that funny. Was kind of surprised about that. Kevin and Andy were great though.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Internet Explorerz needs a rethink. It could be absolute gold but they pick the worst shit to go through. Like 15 minutes on how to pronounce celebrity names...really?! Clickbait is boring as hell too.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Tim and Greg had kinda a weird conversation on KFGD today about the link between bigotry and gaming. Tim says he doesn't know why the link is there, and Greg makes the argument that people that play games are just dialed into the internet and more likely to actually talk on there, so you see the gamer bigots a lot.

I see where they are coming from, but I'd really appreciate it if someone like Jason or Maddy from Kotaku were on to talk about this specifically. Gaming has a history as a "boys club," and the online safe space for white male gamers is still very much intact, but it feels like KF doesn't want to do the required reading with this kind of thing most of the time.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Tim and Greg had kinda a weird conversation on KFGD today about the link between bigotry and gaming. Tim says he doesn't know why the link is there, and Greg makes the argument that people that play games are just dialed into the internet and more likely to actually talk on there, so you see the gamer bigots a lot.

I see where they are coming from, but I'd really appreciate it if someone like Jason or Maddy from Kotaku were on to talk about this specifically. Gaming has a history as a "boys club," and the online safe space for white male gamers is still very much intact, but it feels like KF doesn't want to do the required reading with this kind of thing most of the time.
They're not equipped to say anything of substance or nuance about the video game industry other than "this game was fun".

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
Watched 'Waiting for the Punchline'. It really is very good. I don't find his stand-up funny, but that's not the point. It just feels good to support Nick, honestly - he's uplifted me so many times over the last few years and I don't always think to give him credit. He is an inspiration. I may have drifted away from the pretty awful KF Games side, but KF itself is as great as ever with Nick and Andy helming things.