• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree, sure you can enter the cinema but for some people a 2,5 to 3 hour movie is a impossible undertaking. Splitting a movie in multiple parts kinda destroys the experience when watching at home.
The difference is one thing can be changed to accommodate these people while having absolutely no effect on anyone else. I'm still waiting on an answer to the question of 'how does this affect you?'

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It could be argued that requiring accessibility options, including difficulty, maybe be required by US law under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the 21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act (CVAA), and other laws.

It hasn't been litigated but there may be a case for it.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017

Like how in the name of holy fuck can you argue against that? Jesus Christ folks, some if y'all are fucking insane.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
This comes up every time a FromSoft game comes out. It starts with people who aren't good at games asking for it and when called out use people with disabilities behind their reasoning instead of just owning that they are bad at games.
I've seen more disabled gamers asking for accessibility options in menus and controls more so than asking for the game itself to be changed.

Which yes those should 100% be in every game. In college I spent a good amount of time trying to translate Assassins Creed 1 to my deaf roommate because that stupid game didnt have subtitles.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
From games 100% should not have a easy mode.

I don't know how good the Xbox's adaptive controller works with the games but the solution should come from the hardware manufacturing side.

From can add in color blind mode, remap buttons etc. that don't affect the control of the games.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You literally said earlier they should just play something else

yes if it's too hard play something else, simple. FromSoft won't change.

watching Games Daily from yesterday and wow Andrea gets so angry.
"I'm going to get a million and one tweets about this."
Can't she just have a convo with Fran? Poor guy. She's annoying as hell sometimes.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
There is a middle-ground here and the best example of a game that's done it right is Celeste.

Okay so From games don't need a traditional easy mode, i.e. something where enemies would be weaker, attacks are stronger etc., but there's no reason they can't have an Assist mode like Celeste. So there'd be options available for people who are struggling with the game for whatever reason but it doesn't distract from people who want to ignore those options. I went through all of Celeste without ever touching Assist mode and it didn't bother me but I'm glad it exists. Square's newer FF ports have similar options and no one complains about them either.

Another solution is what Nintendo does with just letting you skip certain sections if they're too hard but I guess there'd be a bit of a backlash to that.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are certain people with disabilities who literally can't play these games at their difficulty. So at that point it's a matter of accessibility. Which means you're saying they can't ever enjoy these games.
Hmm, maybe, but people with disabilities overcome more difficult feats than playing Sekiro, like the blind dude who beat Ocarina of Time.

If a developer doesn't want to add an easy mode, that's their prerogative. I think there's an argument that it shouldn't be that difficult to add easy modes anyway, but I don't think it's right to call someone trash for thinking it's up to the developer.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Let the devs make the games they want to make/let the developers have their vision" is the same argument that incels/alt-righters use against arguments for diversity in games.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
"Let the devs make the games they want to make/let the developers have their vision" is the same argument that incels/alt-righters use against arguments for diversity in games.
Indeed. Between this and the below cuntbubble my opinion of 'gamers are fucking trash' gets reinforced more everyday.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Greg has come such a long way as a media personality in recent years. Good for him!

Maybe one day one of these high profile gigs will actually bring new people to Kinda Funny 😜

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't been keeping up with this recent debate, but here are my thoughts. If we see games as an artistic medium, I think it is fine if a developer doesn't want to add an easy mode to their game. They are really challenging games, that don't allow you to easily get around this challenge. So people who have played them, they have to either get accustomed to it, or not play. This is important to mention because these games are in a position to leave some kind of impact on consumer tastes. A movement, even if it is a small one. I don't know what goes through the head of the devs responsible for making those decisions, but I think it is a fair goal to want to make diffuclty like that more of a desired, popular element in gaming. And I feel the audience/niche of people who can enjoy that kind of thing has grown because of how these From games are.

We could probably say that if there were an easy mode, these games would be even more popular. Though in this theoretical scenario, arguably this could cause less players overall to have gotten accustomed to that kind of gameplay in the first place. I know if Dark Souls had an easier mode when I first played it, I would have never pushed myself over the hump to get adjusted to really enjoy that brand of challenge. I probably would have turned down the difficulty, if I even started on it at all. I can't imagine this wouldn't be the case for many others as well.

I find it valuable to step out of your comfort zone and get accustomed to new things in general, and I also apply this mindset to gaming. There are a few key games in the past I've tried that I didn't think were for me, I just took a leap. And whatdya know, I ended up liking them a lot after I gave them a fair shot. They opened my mind to more types of games, and artstyles. And maybe more importantly, it made myself more willing to try stuff out of my comfort zone, instead of always sticking to the familiar. I feel like this has enriched my enjoyment of gaming as a whole. Variety and surprise is the spice of life.

Basically. I'm not saying it's fine if he doesn't want to add an easy mode for the purpose of saying "fuk u noobs who need more accessibility". I just believe it is a valid artistic move. One that is arguably more effective in the goal of expanding horizons throughout the gaming sphere. That is, more effective than the hypothetical world where these games had easier difficulty modes all along would be.

Last edited:

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
How the fuck does an easy mode take anything away from the regular difficulty setting? It literally doesn't affect you in any way. I never play on easy mode but it doesn't bother me that there are people out there that do. If I was a Souls player I wouldn't give two shits about a difficulty or accessibility option being added. People who are adamant that these games should never have those kinds of choices are man-babies who make me embarrassed to be into video games.

Also, Greg got shut the fuck down on the WWE watch along for plugging Kinda Funny. Not looking forward to next week's KF Podcast where a bunch of uninformed people try to analyse WrestleMania and tells us about how much they were annoyed by having to sit through it all.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck does an easy mode take anything away from the regular difficulty setting? It literally doesn't affect you in any way. I never play on easy mode but it doesn't bother me that there are people out there that do. If I was a Souls player I wouldn't give two shits about a difficulty or accessibility option being added. People who are adamant that these games should never have those kinds of choices are man-babies who make me embarrassed to be into video games.

Also, Greg got shut the fuck down on the WWE watch along for plugging Kinda Funny. Not looking forward to next week's KF Podcast where a bunch of uninformed people try to analyse WrestleMania and tells us about how much they were annoyed by having to sit through it all.
Agreed on your first point but honestly mate there's no point arguing it. People are too far gone.

On your second point, what the hell happened?

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Irony. Yall are the ones far gone enough that you feel qualified to comment on my post when you clearly haven't read it, as that Marlow post literally tackles no point I made.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Irony. Yall are the ones far gone enough that you feel qualified to comment on my post when you clearly haven't read it, as that Marlow post literally tackles no point I made.
1. I never commented on your post.
2. Being too far gone on the point on not wanting games to be exclusionary is not exactly something I take as an insult.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Not sure if replying to me. You can say no if you want to avoid a callout for not reading my post 😜
Wasn't replying to you and I actually didn't even read your post. I was replying to the general thoughts from people who are staunchly against a difficulty option in FromSoftware games.

Agreed on your first point but honestly mate there's no point arguing it. People are too far gone.

On your second point, what the hell happened?
Soooooo what happened with Greg on the wrastling thing?

Greg started promoting Kinda Funny. They ended up muting him and Pat McAfee told him to never do that again.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Skipped yesterdays games daily but checked the comments and its filled with folk saying Andrea was rude and obnoxious to Fran about terms and conditions.

So I'm glad I didn't bother.
Yeah I hate to say it but she's super set in her ways.. she's also not "kinda funny" if that makes sense. She doesn't cover many games, and has the same rigid, pro industry perspective on most issues. She's being so dismissive in this Sekiro discussion regarding the Epic Games Store. It is what it is I guess.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
If there's one thing I know about WWE it's that they're super strict on what you can and can't say on screen (the commentators can't even say wrestler; everyone is a Superstar). So if Greg was plugging the channels unauthorised I'm not surprised they muted him or whatever.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If there's one thing I know about WWE it's that they're super strict on what you can and can't say on screen (the commentators can't even say wrestler; everyone is a Superstar). So if Greg was plugging the channels unauthorised I'm not surprised they muted him or whatever.
Not to mention brands spend a truckload of money to advertise on WrestleMania. Greg trying to plug his shit for free was incredibly dumb.