• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Andrea stanning Epic store (with Greg to a lesser extent) was a hard listen on Games Daily.

Yeah I hate to say it but she's super set in her ways.. she's also not "kinda funny" if that makes sense. She doesn't cover many games, and has the same rigid, pro industry perspective on most issues. She's being so dismissive in this Sekiro discussion regarding the Epic Games Store. It is what it is I guess.

Yeah this basically.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
ThePokevengers.PNG

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Easy Allies is doing a new show called "It's EZ to Like Anime".

This is the type of content I hoped for when KF 4.0 was teased. Not Fast and Furious and Mission Impossible in Review.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
But KF doesn't really have anyone that watches anime to the extant that many at Easy Allies do.

I mean they talk about anime stuff from time to time. Just last Screencast they talked about OPM season 2 which is what the Allies are doing the show for right now. Attack on Titan is coming back, a show KF did a watch-along for.

I wanted 4.0 to be them trying new things. Not rewatching Fast and Furious and Mission Impossible.

I feel like there is this narrative among KF community that the guys are not huge anime fans so that's why they don't do shows around them. But I would argue that's why anime shows would be great content and a change of pace because they are not fanatic anime fans.

Just look at Giant Bomb and Easy Allies doing anime shows. Jeff and Dan were never considered anime guys by the Giant Bomb community, yet ASG podcast was a success. Now, Dan Ryckert is discussing anime on podcast with his wife.

Last edited:

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I mean they talk about anime stuff from time to time. Just last Screencast they talked about OPM season 2 which is what the Allies are doing the show for right now. Attack on Titan is coming back, a show KF did a watch-along for.

I wanted 4.0 to be them trying new things. Not rewatching Fast and Furious and Mission Impossible.

I feel like there is this narrative among KF community that the guys are not huge anime fans so that's why they don't do shows around them. But I would argue that's why anime shows would be great content and a change of pace because they are not fanatic anime fans.

Just look at Giant Bomb and Easy Allies doing anime shows. Jeff and Dan were never considered anime guys by the Giant Bomb community, yet ASG podcast was a success. Now, Dan Ryckert is discussing anime on podcast with his wife now.
Kinda Funny is basically all about not trying new things. Take Greg's "I'm so glad I don't have to cover lots of games anymore" attitude and apply it to any other form of media. This attitude is why they only cover GAAS, comic book movies etc.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
reminder nick said "I'm catiously optmistic of one punch man season 2 because i heard the original writer isnt on it" 🤣

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Debatable was something new (for Kinda Funny) but they definitely didn't stick the landing with that one. Shame because an actual debate show could have been fun but it ended up just being a giant sketch with nothing remotely close to actual debate.

Rest of 4.0 has been a combination of what they've been doing and the most generic, bog-standard YouTuber stuff you can imagine.

Now that I'm thinking about it, Kinda Funny really doesn't have much of an identity anymore. If you don't care about the crew on a personal level, there isn't anything about their content compelling enough to draw people in (in my opinion). An occasionally great Games Daily or Gamescast is about the best you can hope for. Of course I like the Kinda Funny folks hence why I stick around.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Debatable was something new (for Kinda Funny) but they definitely didn't stick the landing with that one. Shame because an actual debate show could have been fun but it ended up just being a giant sketch with nothing remotely close to actual debate.

Rest of 4.0 has been a combination of what they've been doing and the most generic, bog-standard YouTuber stuff you can imagine.

Now that I'm thinking about it, Kinda Funny really doesn't have much of an identity anymore. If you don't care about the crew on a personal level, there isn't anything about their content compelling enough to draw people in (in my opinion). An occasionally great Games Daily or Gamescast is about the best you can hope for. Of course I like the Kinda Funny folks hence why I stick around.
Pretty good summary. If I hadn't been invested in some of these folks since 2013 I would have bounced by now.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
I know people like to rag on their movie knowledge, but I got a chuckle from them watching the Star Wars Episode IX panel live stream during KFGD. When the trailer ending with Palpatine's evil, cackling laugh, Tim recognized it as good, old Sheev. However, when it cut back to the panel stage with Ian McDiarmid (the Emperor himself) standing there, they had no clue who he was. First, they thought it was Anthony Daniels (C-3P0) and then Barrett said it was John Williams and Tim went with it. Pretty funny. Too bad they turned it off before Ian spoke in his "Emperor" voice for them to realize who he was.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
So listened to the last debatable yesterday and... glad that show is going away. It was a neat idea but it just didn't work.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
It could've worked if they would've taken it seriously, the concept is cool...instead it was used to try and get that dumb ass character Nick does over.
Problem was it was Jared Petty's idea and it really doesn't work without him.

Agreed. I also think In Review has run its course now.

The problem with in Review is that it really only works as an build up to a big movie coming up. Like doing all the star wars up to Episode 9, or MCU up to Infinity War, etc.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Problem was it was Jared Petty's idea and it really doesn't work without him.

The problem with in Review is that it really only works as an build up to a big movie coming up. Like doing all the star wars up to Episode 9, or MCU up to Infinity War, etc.
It just feels like a crutch they're relying on to fill time. Especially with Greg bailing on them now.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
So listened to the last debatable yesterday and... glad that show is going away. It was a neat idea but it just didn't work.

I only listened to bits of it but the impression I got was that the basic concept was flawed. The premise is that the host decides where everything ranks so it's basically down to their opinion at the end of the day. Just seemed like a conduit for Greg to get shouty and have a go at whoever the host is.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It could've worked if they would've taken it seriously, the concept is cool...instead it was used to try and get that dumb ass character Nick does over.
Spot on. It could have been an interesting show, but it just turned into another vehicle for them to be random, wacky, and offer nothing of substance, which is what every single show is at this point.

Agreed. I also think In Review has run its course now.
In Review ran its course once they reached Infinity War. Everything they've done since then has been horrible. Their Game of Thrones In Review is being carried by Andrea because she's the only actual person with any GOT knowledge. At this point I kinda want them to do Harry Potter and Star Wars, just to see how many blatantly obvious things they get wrong and just how bad their "analysis" is. I don't know if they'll even get to them though because it's obvious they're already burning out again, and that process will only speed up by doing two In Review episodes per week for the next two months.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
When is Oreo Oration or Cooking with Greggy or the interview show or the PPV or the Persona 5 Spoilercast or any of the stuff they funded back in January actually coming out? Is there even a roadmap for any of this stuff or do we just have to wait for shows to be cancelled/shelved and replaced?

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
When is Oreo Oration or Cooking with Greggy or the interview show or the PPV or the Persona 5 Spoilercast or any of the stuff they funded back in January actually coming out? Is there even a roadmap for any of this stuff or do we just have to wait for shows to be cancelled/shelved and replaced?
Oreo Oration is soonish, I think? I believe they've begun production on it. Everything else I have no idea. Kinda Funny isn't great at communicating these things. The subreddit, which is full of the most diehard fans, was full of questions about the new schedule for this week because seemingly the only place they announced it was in a random comment in a random thread.

I think we can safely say the Persona 5 Spoilercast will never happen though.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They need to do a Star Wars In Review in time for Episode 9 and then stop. I don't even know why they are doing GoT in Review when they don't even be close to done by the time the show ends.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
we have cool friends starts after GoT

BTW i dont think the plot breakdown works for GoT in review. like we all just watched the episode. i dont see a need to spend qn hour on it

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
They need to do a Star Wars In Review in time for Episode 9 and then stop. I don't even know why they are doing GoT in Review when they don't even be close to done by the time the show ends.

...or when they all don't know the source material very well. 10 mins. into the first GoT episode and I wanted to shut it off already. It got better but not much.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Good lord this week's Gamescast was brutal. Devon Sawa was not a good guest.

Kinda agreed... it was weird to have a non-games person on your games show, even if he does have some knowledge of games. It was clear he either wasn't interested or didn't know enough to have any kind of in depth discussion on the game he went to see or anything else they talked about after. Just seemed like a case of, well this guy will be in the office, lets just have him on whatever show we're filming today.

I thought the rest of the episode was fine though; Greg and Barrett's review of that Katana game was good and will probably result in me picking it up.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Went up earlier today, pretty down to earth reactions to the Sony news.

It's no secret that Greg and Tim are not tech guys (Greg in particular). You could've told him them absolute craziest specs and they would be interested, but would not be overly excited, due to not knowing what the tech specs mean. If there was a visual representation of what PS5 can do, they probably would've been more hyped.

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It's no secret that Greg and Tim are not a tech guys (Greg in particular). You could've told him them absolute craziest specs and they would be interested, but would not be overly excited, due to not knowing what the tech specs mean. If there was a visual representation of what PS5 can do, they probably would've been more hyped.
I think they were hyped but I agree with them it's better that Sony did it this way because putting Cerny on stage (like for the pro reveal) was very boring to people who are not tech guys.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I would much prefer that both of those guys admit they have no clue about anything to do with tech and then just move on. Too often Tim tries to act like he's clued up to specs and that sort of thing when in reality he's just making a bunch of word salad that gets dunked on in the comments.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would much prefer that both of those guys admit they have no clue about anything to do with tech and then just move on. Too often Tim tries to act like he's clued up to specs and that sort of thing when in reality he's just making a bunch of word salad that gets dunked on in the comments.
It seems with each passing year they become less and less informed about the industry and games themselves.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017

He should really stay away from tech. The dude should stick to Nintendo. That's all he knows honestly. It's clear when he's talking out of his ass.

Last edited:

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
He should really stay away from tech. The dude should stick to Nintendo fanboying honestly. That's all he knows honestly.
Even then his knowledge can be sketchy. Any hardcore Pokemon fan cringes when he starts to talk about Pokemon. Same goes for him with Disney or wrestling. He just has this weird obsession of wanting to seem in the know and an expert about everything when it comes to tech/pop culture. Sometimes you've just gotta throw your hands up in the air and say "fuck it, I have no clue".

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Even then his knowledge can be sketchy. Any hardcore Pokemon fan cringes when he starts to talk about Pokemon. Same goes for him with Disney or wrestling. He just has this weird obsession of wanting to seem in the know and an expert about everything when it comes to tech/pop culture. Sometimes you've just gotta throw your hands up in the air and say "fuck it, I have no clue".

Jeez, if not that, then what does he know exactly? It all feels so fake with him.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Jeez, if not that, then what does he know exactly? It all feels so fake with him.
I think he's actually quite knowledgable with Nintendo in general, just not with Pokemon. Pokemon is clearly something he was into when the fad was big and he dropped away from it, but he still wants to act as if he's the number 1 analytical source. His critique of games has also improved dramatically, so there is still some substance there. I've found that he's far less likely to just describe a game as "it's fun to play when you go around and do all these things" the way Greg does.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
What the hell was up with Tim on Games Daily yesterday anyway? He seemed so disinterested in the PS5 news and basically just dismissed it as "all this is already available on Xbox One" which I don't think is true at all... then he was going on about how people shouldn't be allowed to trade games in? Like how is that justifiable at all?

He just seemed generally uninterested in everything they talked about which is odd for him considering he's usually the "hype" guy (not that I'm a big fan of that persona but this was like the total opposite).

On the PS5 news I do think they seem to be trapped in their own bubble a bit regarding Xbox... Greg mentioned how Microsoft have been taking up all the conversation lately with their "pro-gamer moves" which I disagree with completely; it's just that Xbox is all that Kinda Funny seem to talk about. Seems to be a case of Greg not looking beyond what he himself has spent the last year talking about and the result is this general disinterest in next-gen PlayStation news.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only started watching KF back when they started because they were PlayStation guys. If this keeps up I'm probably going to move on.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
maybe they are like me and don't give a shit about fluff numbers and hot trendy words like "raytracing"

just let me see the games, i'm not getting hyped on numbers and teraflop shit

just show me the console, the games on a tv. done