• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Just listening to Monday's KFGD and utterly shocked and dismayed at the hand waving and the giving benefit of the doubt to repeated established racists and anti-semites Notch and PewDiePie. This was almost Boogie levels of downplaying by Greg and Andrea and it was utterly appalling to hear by a PoC.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Anyone watched the GoT review today?

I know Kevin is negative on it, if others are also down on it, I'm not gonna watch it. Definitely not interested in listening to people who are misinformed half the time talk about writing and screenplay.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Just listening to Monday's KFGD and utterly shocked and dismayed at the hand waving and the giving benefit of the doubt to repeated established racists and anti-semites Notch and PewDiePie. This was almost Boogie levels of downplaying by Greg and Andrea and it was utterly appalling to hear by a PoC.

I'd like to say I'm surprised but..

Bloodarmz

Jul 11, 2018
Andrea calling Notch's comments "wacky" and saying these things were "mistakes" is just exhausting for me.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Anyone watched the GoT review today?

I know Kevin is negative on it, if others are also down on it, I'm not gonna watch it. Definitely not interested in listening to people who are misinformed half the time talk about writing and screenplay.

They're all pretty down on it...Andy tried to talk it up but it comes off as disingenuous, he knows the issues the others have.

Oh and Nick completely derails it at every chance it gets....the schtick is beyond annoying and the main reason I'm checking out on it for good now. Thought I'd give it one more shot esp. for this episode but I can't deal with him.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
They're all pretty down on it...Andy tried to talk it up but it comes off as disingenuous, he knows the issues the others have.

Oh and Nick completely derails it at every chance it gets....the schtick is beyond annoying and the main reason I'm checking out on it for good now. Thought I'd give it one more shot esp. for this episode but I can't deal with him.

Well that's unfortunate. I guess I will stop watching it too. I just get really annoyed when Kevin and Nick often times get facts wrong while talking about the scripts and screenplay like they some kind of legendary movie/TV reviewers. I would give your opinion more credit if you can actually remember shit.

Like I said before. A lot of reaction channels do much better discussion about movie/TV than the KF crew.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Andrea calling Notch's comments "wacky" and saying these things were "mistakes" is just exhausting for me.
And saying some of his tweets were taken out of contexts to "being white is ok". Are you fucking kidding me?

Jesus, you know I've been thinking about listening again but shit like this will just keep me away for good.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, you know I've been thinking about listening again but shit like this will just keep me away for good.

You should honestly listen. It's surreal. It's like anything that touches game developers, publishers or YouTubers they are ready to mount a defense force. In this episode especially, they kept saying how unfamiliar they were with such a sensitive topic, and yet defended notch and pewdiepie! It was unreal.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
lol. Andrea really likes to die on the hill when she makes a mistake. Instead of admitting she made one, she will defend it all the way.

Greg was giving her a lot of steps to move away from the mistake but she just kept going. And like always Greg wasn't willing to point it out so it ends in a situation where Greg tries to politely talk her out of it while Andrea triples down on it.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
lol. Andrea really likes to die on the hill when she makes a mistake. Instead of admitting she made one, she will defend it all the way.

Greg was giving her a lot of steps to move away from the mistake but she just kept going. And like always Greg wasn't willing to point it out so it ends in a situation where Greg tries to politely talk her out of it while Andrea triples down on it.
Lmao it was so funny I couldn't even be annoyed. As Andrea started to argue her point all I could do was look like this:
nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Don't love being this person, but it's conversations like these where their white privilege starts showing. It's crazy, they all need to just sit and listen to somebody explain why these things matter. I just want them to commit an hour to it and prove to me they care enough to stand up to anybody, ever. It's growing increasingly difficult to take Greg's "be good, love everybody" comments seriously when he refuses to use his platform to stand up for anybody, especially when it might ruffle the feathers of the alt-right crowd. Blanket positivity doesn't cut it anymore.

You should honestly listen. It's surreal. It's like anything that touches game developers, publishers or YouTubers they are ready to mount a defense force. In this episode especially, they kept saying how unfamiliar they were with such a sensitive topic, and yet defended notch and pewdiepie! It was unreal.

Greg got a lot of love for defending Insomniac during the dumb puddle thing, and I just don't think they understand the difference between "bad people out there, don't be bad," and actually understanding a topic, why it's hurting people, and how to best support the oppressed. If you're not standing up to anybody, you're rarely standing for anything

Edit: Not trying to come off too harsh here. I know Greg and co. are good people, and it's easy to enjoy your own comfort and not have to face a lot of issues out there, it's just a bummer.

Edit 2: and then I see Greg joking around with 'the holocaust wasn't all bad' Boogie on Twitter and I'm right back where I started.

Last edited:

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

Tim is the only one that seems to actively push back and voice his concerns over stuff like this.

Andrea - *Come on, everyone that complains about the Epic Game store is just entitled its just another store front, haha its great to hear comments from Tim Sweeney!*

Skipped past the talk about Epic Games Store again today not bloody worth it.....

Last edited:

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah you nailed this pattern, has happened before too. Hope they hear some (thoughtful) criticism about it.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
Yeah I actually cut my Patreon pledge entirely last night. I don't feel that what they're offering is anywhere near worth the money. There's no idea of what's coming in future and when; things like the P5 Spoilercast are not what was promised; and their content is largely infuriating, ill-informed and actually problematic.

I'll keep watching KF/AF and the KF podcast for now, but they are really rock bottom in my estimation right now. Thankfully I have EZA for everything else.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've become obsessed with "positivity" even if it's totally fake. It's like I'm not even listening to real people anymore.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Finding myself moving away from Whats Good Gaming too, when Andrea goes on business trips and leaves Britt and Steimer to hold down the show I can barely listen to it, and now with Andrea's hottakes and constant hand waving of issues even when she is on I sometimes have to skip over. Finding the gaming coverage of KF to slowly become bottom of the barrel in terms of having a interesting or engaged conversation.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could find some informed and level headed people that put out content as regularly as KF. I love EZA but their content only holds me over for about a day a week, I need something for the whole work week.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Finally listened to that segment on yesterday's KFDG and I think my main takeaway was just confusion... like Andrea's take was essentially "lol he probably didn't want to go anyway". Like that's your main takeaway from that story? Seriously? No mention of the hateful, vile shit that Notch spews (I know Greg mentioned it but Andrea mostly handwaved it away)? No praise for Microsoft actively taking a stance against him? Just "this is just internet drama lol"? It was very surreal to listen to and after that I gave up on the rest of the episode.

I think a lot of it comes from Andrea's obsessive need to have a contrarian viewpoint on every topic, and then double- and triple-down on it regardless of anything else anyone says or any new information she's presented with. And then Greg's unwillingness to call her out on literally anything she says. It's so tiring to listen to because KFGD has just become a forum for Andrea to say whatever she wants regardless of the information in front of her. How on earth they think that is enjoyable content is beyond me.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Have any of you thought about writing in to address these concerns? Or trying to get a hold of Greg offline and ask him? There are some instances where I think the whole crew is just ignorant of what's going on in the outside world in relation to some of these YouTube people (like Boogie), so when they "defend" them or hand wave it away, I just want to believe it's due to ignorance on the topic and not that they want to actually support gross people. I've only ever seen Boogie being called out on this forum and unless Greg is constantly on here (which we know he isn't), he would miss those threads about "both sides Boogie" and have no idea what the guy is really like. The Notch stuff is inexcusable as it was laid out in the story they covered, Andrea should not be hand waving anything there.

Crash

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I think you have to give them money on Patreon to ask questions on shows nowadays. I guess you can talk to them by hoping a post on the subreddit gets enough upvotes for them to see

Last edited:

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I've thought about it but tbh I don't listen enough these days for it to be worth it. I checked yesterday's out after the comments here and that was the first episode I've listened to in well over a month.

If anyone did want to get their attention the best place would probably be reddit. I'm actually surprised there's no thread about it on there already.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have any of you thought about writing in to address these concerns? Or trying to get a hold of Greg offline and ask him? There are some instances where I think the whole crew is just ignorant of what's going on in the outside world in relation to some of these YouTube people (like Boogie), so when they "defend" them or hand wave it away, I just want to believe it's due to ignorance on the topic and not that they want to actually support gross people. I've only ever seen Boogie being called out on this forum and unless Greg is constantly on here (which we know he isn't), he would miss those threads about "both sides Boogie" and have no idea what the guy is really like. The Notch stuff is inexcusable as it was laid out in the story they covered, Andrea should not be hand waving anything there.
I'm not giving them money to tell them why I'm not giving them money.

I should have known this was going to spiral down once they locked communication behind Patreon.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
I've sent a tweet to Andrea. Whether she replies or not is anyone's guess but when you go full Boogie1488 is when I need to call you out.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Also, is it just me, or does Greg seemed to have completely checked out of KF? We like...barely see him anymore outside of Games Daily.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Also, is it just me, or does Greg seemed to have completely checked out of KF? We like...barely see him anymore outside of Games Daily.

Seems like the travelling and events have got a lot worse lately. Greg seems to be away more than he's there. I think that's what's turned me off the content so much lately... the main people being absent and part timers filling in.

Just generally they seem to be coasting at the moment. They have their show structure and they stick to it. It seems like the sheer amount of content means they don't have much time to adapt their schedule or have a rethink and it just makes it seem like they're in a constant holding pattern and delivering the same content week in, week out. It doesn't help that the "core" audience eats up every show they do so they have no reason to change and potentially grow the audience.

If I was them I'd look into doing a complete reset of their content. Scrap the daily shows (maybe keep KFGD) and focus more of seasonal, differentiated shows. Similar to Funhaus's structure.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the travelling and events have got a lot worse lately. Greg seems to be away more than he's there. I think that's what's turned me off the content so much lately... the main people being absent and part timers filling in.

Just generally they seem to be coasting at the moment. They have their show structure and they stick to it. It seems like the sheer amount of content means they don't have much time to adapt their schedule or have a rethink and it just makes it seem like they're in a constant holding pattern and delivering the same content week in, week out. It doesn't help that the "core" audience eats up every show they do so they have no reason to change and potentially grow the audience.

If I was them I'd look into doing a complete reset of their content. Scrap the daily shows (maybe keep KFGD) and focus more of seasonal, differentiated shows. Similar to Funhaus's structure.
I used to disagree with the whole travelling thing, but yeah, I can't really anymore. April has come and gone without the PPV with no word on when it'll be happening and the knock on effect is just becoming too hard to ignore.

Thinking about it, my favourite KF moments have come from Party Mode's, the Morning Show and the Extra Life streams. We rarely see that KF anymore and it really is having an effect on how much enjoyment I get from their content which has an effect on how much I consume their content. 4.0 is becoming more disappointing the longer it goes on.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I used to disagree with the whole travelling thing, but yeah, I can't really anymore. April has come and gone without the PPV with no word on when it'll be happening and the knock on effect is just becoming too hard to ignore.

Thinking about it, my favourite KF moments have come from Party Mode's, the Morning Show and the Extra Life streams. We rarely see that KF anymore and it really is having an effect on how much enjoyment I get from their content which has an effect on how much I consume their content. 4.0 is becoming more disappointing the longer it goes on.

That's sort of what I'm getting at... everything is "just okay" with very rarely some excellent content thrown in. And there's so much of it that there's no time for anything else.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to make a thread on gaming side pointing this shit out for people to be aware of coming from KF. I know Greg frequents this site so maybe that will get his attention?

sora87

Oct 27, 2017

I appreciate your intentions but they should really know about this kind of stuff without fans telling them. It's no secret these people like pdp and notch are toxic.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
If someone wants to write up something I can pass it along on patreon.
Thanks for the offer. I might try and condense my feelings but as it stands I could write an essay which would only hurt its chances of being read lol

I've made a thread. https://www.resetera.com/threads/gr...ransphobic-and-anti-semitic-behaviour.114457/

Pulled no punches and brought some receipts.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I just took a look at a couple threads on the KF subreddit and I'm noticing people actually complaining about them being so uninformed during some of these podcasts. I think that's literally only the second time I've seen that happen on the subreddit, which is usually like a haven for non stop KF praise, so I really hope they address some shit.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
I just took a look at a couple threads on the KF subreddit and I'm noticing people actually complaining about them being so uninformed during some of these podcasts. I think that's literally only the second time I've seen that happen on the subreddit, which is usually like a haven for non stop KF praise, so I really hope they address some shit.

It didn't used to be before they basically co-opted it as an official space for discussion when they gave up on running their forums.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Good lord, I really want to see what kind of response they offer in the wake of that thread. I'm guessing they'll probably give a half-hearted response yet not change a single damn thing and continue going into topics uninformed but speaking like they are. This is a huge problem with Kinda Funny in general, not just this situation. Literally everybody at Kinda Funny comes to the table and spews bullshit without actually knowing what they're talking about. Nick does it, Tim does it, Kevin does it. They all do it. If this isn't a wake-up call then nothing is ever going to change these guys.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Greg fucked up but that thread is an absolute shitshow. I think I'm done with this website.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah that thread started alright and definitely needed to be made, but it's gone off the rails now. Was gunna comment in it but just want to stay away now... not at all shocked to see people bring up Colin too.

From what I saw skimming through, most people agreed that Greg's worst crime was being uninformed and not taking a particularly strong stance because of that.

Looks like Andrea's come off a lot worse which I think is fair. She was the one actively hand waving away things Notch has said.

I wonder if/how Greg will respond. Not expecting much of a response from Andrea tbh other than doubling down.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
That thread is chaos haha..

untitled-272.gif

Greg Responded

LebGuns
As a person of color, and a very vulnerable minority (Arab American), I cannot support anyone that stands idly by and downplay the hatred Notch and PewDiePie seed into the gaming media. How do you not come down hard on people that say "it's ok to be white" or make transphobic comments or pay 2 people to hold a sign that says death to all Jews? How? I don't understand the train of thinking. I can no longer support Kindafunny. It's utterly saddening to see Greg Miller not take a stand on this.

"Hey, LebGuns--

I'm sorry that you walked away from this episode thinking that I didn't take a stand on this. I'd hope that my past efforts on all of these issues would speak to my stance on them, but if they haven't, let me be clear: fuck being a bigot.

In the episode, I say never say the N-word, I say that Notch seems like an asshole, and I echo the message I've said on so many shows of "be better to each other." If that wasn't clear, I missed the mark and failed at being the man I want to be. End of story.

The conversation I was trying to have Monday wasn't "Why does the internet got to be so complicated when people get successful?" in regards to people who use the n-word. Fuck that. That's simple. It was more "How is this a lesson people have to learn in 2019?"

But again, that didn't ring true to you. I'm sorry.

I hope you know how much your comments mean to me. That goes for everyone here. Please, don't hesitate to tag me in posts about my content or ask me questions online. Talking to you is what my career is based on -- it's why I used You're Wrong (the live submission section of Kinda Funny Games Daily) in this episode to get the input from viewers about the side of the story I was missing.

I don't know it all. I try not to act like I know it all, but I don't mean for that to come off as if I don't care about or shrug at bigotry."
Greg

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Just saw Greg's response. Like before, I don't think Greg "condones" anything Notch said.

It's just that he needs to point out Andrea's mistakes instead of trying to guide her to admit the mistakes. We have seen that Andrea doesn't react well to mistakes and has a tendency to double down on them. Greg needs to stop playing the good guy host who doesn't wanna cause conflicts with the co-host and be frank with the mistakes they have made.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
It's just that he needs to point out Andrea's mistakes instead of trying to guide her to admit the mistakes. We have seen that Andrea doesn't react well to mistakes and has a tendency to double down on them. Greg needs to stop playing the good guy host who doesn't wanna cause conflicts with the co-host and be frank with the mistakes they have made.

He does seem to have some sort of block against calling out Andrea on things she says, even when she's clearly wrong. I don't know if it's because they're good friends or because she's so integral to their content and he doesn't want to upset her, but I feel like if someone else said half the shit she gets away with, they'd be called out on it.

I know Tim's called her out before, especially on Nintendo stuff, but only ever had the usual doubling down back from her.