• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lots of post cherry picking from people complaining in here(people getting upset about some of the worst post and trying to justify closing the thread based on that without acknowledging a ton of people having made legit points that should be taken seriously) but at this point that's just expected. Tribalism in full force again.
Yep. The distortion of what's happening in that thread by people in here is pretty disgusting. No reason to coalesce around this to defend KF.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Just posted.

"Hey, everyone--

Sorry for not making it back yesterday. This is the first time I've sat at a computer since posting Tuesday night.

Someone pointed out above that the discussion is anchored to Era, so I could probably just leave and never come back. That's not my way. All I have is my authenticity. I don't mind talking and learning.

Thank you for continuing the conversation here. There are a lot of posts here that really help me out, and I think shine a light on what went wrong Monday because, believe it or not, we agree: fuck bigots and racists.

Where we got off track Monday on the show comes down to "privilege." Many of you have echoed the same thought on here that's basically "How the fuck can Greg NOT know all this shit about PDP/Notch." The answer is pretty simple: when you say dumb shit on the Internet and you're just on the peripheral of my world (another influencer/some retired dev), I go "Well, you're dumb" and ignore you.

That's privilege.

I haven't had to fight for my rights, my identity, or my life. I identify my job as keeping Kinda Funny going, critiquing games, and keeping up with gaming news when it comes to titles/developers/etc. As such, it's easy to not click on Julia Alexander's headlines about YouTube personalities fucking up and keep looking for info on Game Pass.

That's privilege, and frankly, it's not one I've had to think about until this week.

If you watch Kinda Funny, you know that I preach "be better to each other," but beyond my one on one interactions, I'm still trying to figure out what that means. 2018 saw me acknowledge that I have a platform and that I need to be better about using it. I brought on smaller creators and tried to highlight minority voices.

To me, everything we're talking about is another aspect of that, and it's one that I need to learn. Monday saw me try to get a handle on two stories that intersected with *my* gaming world and the world I've seen headlines about but haven't focused on. That's not OK. My responsibilities are greater than that.

I gotta go record the Gamescast, but after that, I'll pop back in to respond to some more comments.
Greg"

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greg's biggest problem has always been he's too nice. It hurts him at times when he needs to he critical and it blindsides him when real issues need to he tackled. This and the idea of treating everyone as a "best friend" means he tends to be oblivious at times for a person of his fame and stature in the industry.

I feel like this applies to most all of the issues KoF has run into.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Just posted.

"Hey, everyone--

Sorry for not making it back yesterday. This is the first time I've sat at a computer since posting Tuesday night.

Someone pointed out above that the discussion is anchored to Era, so I could probably just leave and never come back. That's not my way. All I have is my authenticity. I don't mind talking and learning.

Thank you for continuing the conversation here. There are a lot of posts here that really help me out, and I think shine a light on what went wrong Monday because, believe it or not, we agree: fuck bigots and racists.

Where we got off track Monday on the show comes down to "privilege." Many of you have echoed the same thought on here that's basically "How the fuck can Greg NOT know all this shit about PDP/Notch." The answer is pretty simple: when you say dumb shit on the Internet and you're just on the peripheral of my world (another influencer/some retired dev), I go "Well, you're dumb" and ignore you.

That's privilege.

I haven't had to fight for my rights, my identity, or my life. I identify my job as keeping Kinda Funny going, critiquing games, and keeping up with gaming news when it comes to titles/developers/etc. As such, it's easy to not click on Julia Alexander's headlines about YouTube personalities fucking up and keep looking for info on Game Pass.

That's privilege, and frankly, it's not one I've had to think about until this week.

If you watch Kinda Funny, you know that I preach "be better to each other," but beyond my one on one interactions, I'm still trying to figure out what that means. 2018 saw me acknowledge that I have a platform and that I need to be better about using it. I brought on smaller creators and tried to highlight minority voices.

To me, everything we're talking about is another aspect of that, and it's one that I need to learn. Monday saw me try to get a handle on two stories that intersected with *my* gaming world and the world I've seen headlines about but haven't focused on. That's not OK. My responsibilities are greater than that.

I gotta go record the Gamescast, but after that, I'll pop back in to respond to some more comments.
Greg"

People are going to say something about this, but if I'm being honest...I do this. I could give a fuck less about PDP/Notch, and typically only know the broad strokes of PDP from headlines at best. It's really easy to ignore that, and I'm one of the targeted groups. For him it's a privilege thing, for me it's a "as a black person I don't survive mentally without knowing I have to tune out certain things". (Also knowing what to tune out.)

But good on him for recognizing that as someone with a platform he has to go a bit further. He took the right lessons from this.

That said, Greg's really nice about this 'cause LOL the way he's being talked about in that thread? Fuck that, couldn't be me. For sure, I'd say something about PDP and Notch being shitheads, but I'd also write this place off as a trash heap forever. You don't get to say "fuck me" for not doing exactly what you want, then try to patch shit up down the road.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I liked this post in that thread

"This is what happens when you have somebody that is incredibly non confrontational with somebody that is really dumb."

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I liked this post in that thread

"This is what happens when you have somebody that is incredibly non confrontational with somebody that is really dumb."
Honestly, that's my take with it. I could see Greg wanted to challenge Andrea but he didn't.

I am over Andrea, personally. She is too arrogant and stubborn for this crew. I wish she would recognize that she doesn't fit in and move on.

Also, Greg made a great post in the thread in Gaming.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Honestly, that's my take with it. I could see Greg wanted to challenge Andrea but he didn't.

I am over Andrea, personally. She is too arrogant and stubborn for this crew. I wish she would recognize that she doesn't fit in and move on.

Also, Greg made a great post in the thread in Gaming.

They shouldn't allow her back on any KF honestly but she will be and that'll be all she wrote for me.

Already didn't like her and just found what happened the other day completely distasteful, I'm over her.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Just posted.

"Hey, everyone--

That's privilege.

Greg"

That was a great post him. He said everything that I needed him to say, with the exception of maybe addressing Andrea, but I can see why he'd want to avoid it. Regardless, from his comments, it is clear he is aware, and hopefully will try to police her a bit.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Greg posted Andrea's response in the thread as well...

Hey, y'all--

Andrea doesn't have an Era account and just posted this over on our subreddit. I just got to a computer this afternoon and was able to respond, she just got to hers:

Hi everyone! I apologize for the delay in responding to these comments, but it's been a hectic week to say the least. I've had time to reflect and I'd like to put forth this statement:

Earlier this week, Greg and I had a discussion on KFGD about recent news stories around Minecraft creator Notch and Youtube Content Creator PewdiePie. Some of you have expressed concern about statements we made, or didn't make, during that discussion and I think it's pertinent to follow-up with those concerns.

I've rewatched the show, and I understand the criticisms people had about our conversations. I regret that our discussion of this topic included unfounded or under-informed moments from me that sounded like they were condoning statements or posts that are hateful, racist, transphobic, anti-Semitic or bigoted.

I can see how my comments seem dismissive of a serious topic upon reflection, and I apologize. I vehemently reject any type of bigotry and those who invoke it. No amount of context explains away or justifies that behavior, and I'm sorry for implying it could. Of course it can't.

I support people of all backgrounds, genders, sexualities, races, religions - and I reject those who seek to disparage, dismiss, or discriminate against their fellow humans, that includes Notch and Pewdiepie. Greg and I appreciate the constructive criticism from those who took the time out to show us where we fell short, and we commit to demonstrating through both our words and our actions going forward that we have no sympathy for and will not make excuses for those that bring bigotry into the world through their statements, actions, or incitements.

Sincerely, Andrea Rene

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
More so than anyone else I follow that are youtubers/influencers he seems the most committed to understanding problems like this and trying to legitimately rectify them. Major props. Most folks I follow, when criticized, just make a joke about it on their next video and be super passive aggressive.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
It was important to hear from Andrea, and her response was exactly what needed to be said. I'm glad they both listened, learned what their mistakes were, and vehemently came out against racism and Notch and PewDiePie in particular.

Haha go read her comments on Reddit and then come back and read her apology...rings completely hollow.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
Haha go read her comments on Reddit and then come back and read her apology...rings completely hollow.

I just do not understand Andrea at all. It just seems like she is actively trying to piss people off now. There's some awful stuff in that thread, but come on. Her attitude seems antithetical to the whole Kinda Funny enterprise.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think so. There were some awful things being said in that thread, like how both Greg and her should line up in front of a firing squad, and how her husband should dump her because he can do so much better (said by multiple posters). She is definitely within her right to comment on the terribleness in that thread.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
To be honest, why is that thread still going now?

They both got rightfully called out for their behaviour and dragged through the mud a bit. But they've both put out what appear to be genuine statements and it seems like they've learned from this. And most people have accepted the apologies.

Now it mostly seems to be about the fact that Andrea doesn't like Era, which like, who cares? She doesn't like Era and Era doesn't really like her. So what?

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, why is that thread still going now?

They both got rightfully called out for their behaviour and dragged through the mud a bit. But they've both put out what appear to be genuine statements and it seems like they've learned from this. And most people have accepted the apologies.

Now it mostly seems to be about the fact that Andrea doesn't like Era, which like, who cares? She doesn't like Era and Era doesn't really like her. So what?

Because it feels like this

Andrea: passable apology

Andrea's friend: don't apologise, that guy is an ass

Andrea: lol I know but I had to

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Because it feels like this

Andrea: passable apology

Andrea's friend: don't apologise, that guy is an ass

Andrea: lol I know but I had to

I read it more as her apology was genuine but that doesn't mean she likes us here... I don't think those things are mutually exclusive. But yeah I can see it your way too and with Andrea, I suppose she doesn't really get the benefit of the doubt, given her history with admitting she's wrong.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think for me its that a lot of the problem was her redirecting blame at those upset about the notch situation by saying their concerns were just drama and wanting to be part of the internet hate mob, and then after apologizing essentially saying the same thing about the thread that prompted her apology which undermines one of the central reasons people were irritated by it to begin with.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Thank fuck the thread is closed now. Some people are so bloodthirsty even apologies and completely walk-backs are not enough.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I am utterly disgusted by what happened in that thread. There has never been a better example of why many people outside of this community think we're absolute nut jobs.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I am utterly disgusted by what happened in that thread. There has never been a better example of why many people outside of this community think we're absolute nut jobs.

Shit is more nuanced then people like themselves to believe its not all black and white, in saying that alot of these sayings and words have been co opted by alt right shitheads so even talking about these issues is difficult. You can rightfully call out people for using programmatic phrases or how they act without distilling them into something so basic, Greg but mainly Andrea deserved to be called out but man that thread brought out some horrible stuff.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Shit is more nuanced then people like themselves to believe its not all black and white, in saying that alot of these sayings and words have been co opted by alt right shitheads so even talking about these issues is difficult. You can rightfully call out people for using programmatic phrases or how they act without distilling them into something so basic, Greg but mainly Andrea deserved to be called out but man that thread brought out some horrible stuff.
Good take. I'm not saying it didn't deserve to get called out, and I have my issues with Andrea's arrogance and dismissive attitudes, but that was something far more vicious and mean spirited that the 'crime' warranted.

There are some people here that seem desperate to 'cancel' those in the spotlight and dogpile them at any given opportunity. What heroes!

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Good take. I'm not saying it didn't deserve to get called out, and I have my issues with Andrea's arrogance and dismissive attitudes, but that was something far more vicious and mean spirited that the 'crime' warranted.

There are some people here that seem desperate to 'cancel' those in the spotlight and dogpile them at any given opportunity. What heroes!

Yeah im not disagreeing with you it was definitely more viscous then it should have been.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
OgWjOz6.jpg

BOOOOOOOO!
I actually don't remember Gary's pitch of the game in the first place
Also, if you put a space in between space and rocks, you get, umm, some rocks.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be a 'townhall' session after KFAF on Wednesday discussing the start of the year and what's happening over the rest of the year. I hope some shake ups are coming.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they're going to bring up all of the Patreon goals that they've either stayed completely silent on or have delivered in a different way than originally promised.
Honestly I don't think they can avoid that. And it better not just be 'We overpromised, all that travel fucked us and we have to cut some stuff back. Sorry.'

ghornett

Nov 16, 2017
Still no mention of the town hall in the subreddit. Kinda interesting. Usually there are people throwing ideas around.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
They're not series anymore then? Or just temporarily cos there's loads of new stuff coming out?

To be honest I kinda prefer that to doing crappy series that no one would want to watch.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
They're not series anymore then? Or just temporarily cos there's loads of new stuff coming out?

To be honest I kinda prefer that to doing crappy series that no one would want to watch.
They said their doing both the animated and live action Aladdin and Lion King, and all the Toy Stories, so kinda still a series thing. I just wish they would stop. The MCU in Review was cool, but why does it have to be a thing they keep doing now. It's just not needed, they could put a much better show in its place.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
In Review series is officially dead for me. Just so boring. The GoT in review is them non-stop complaining about the show and I expect the same for the newer movies.

I have found myself getting more and more disinterested in KF's gaming and entertainment content. They are all so boring and similar. There are better alternatives to both gaming and movie/TV podcasts out there than theirs.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind in-review and it seems to be something the community at large enjoys. But what's with these picks? I get it, they want to tie-in to pick movie releases as they happen but just react to those when they come out instead of forcing it.

Why not just do Pixar non-sequels in-review or Disney's 90's golden age in-review? Popular films with a wide range of varying opinions.

They can't seem to stick the landing these days (in my opinion).

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I don't mind in-review and it seems to be something the community at large enjoys. But what's with these picks? I get it, they want to tie-in to pick movie releases as they happen but just react to those when they come out instead of forcing it.

I think they're trying to space out the "bigger" film series with stuff like this and MI. So when they announce like Harry Potter or DC it'll seem like a bigger deal than if they just do everything back-to-back.

They obviously want this to be a long running series and it doesn't make sense to dump everything else at once.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I think they're trying to space out the "bigger" film series with stuff like this and MI. So when they announce like Harry Potter or DC it'll seem like a bigger deal than if they just do everything back-to-back.

They obviously want this to be a long running series and it doesn't make sense to dump everything else at once.
Yeah that would make a lot of sense.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Posted this over in the subreddit, so I might as well post it here too:

They've completely gotten away from what In Review should be IMO. In Review should ONLY be used when building up to something huge. MCU was perfect because it all culminated in Infinity War. The rest have just been poor imitations because they haven't built to anything meaningful.

As much as I have no interest in them talking about Star Wars, their next In Review should be in the build-up to Episode 9. Instead, they're doing Detective Pikachu??? I thought the whole point was to review and RANK the films? They're then doing comparisons between the Aladdin and Lion King films, which is just a whole bunch of nothing. And again, wasn't the whole point of this show to be ranking a series of movies? Toy Story is the only one that comes even close to being what In Review is supposed to be.

Kinda Funny have this problem where they strike gold and then just run that golden idea straight into the fucking ground. They milk it dry until everything that made it unique and interesting is completely gone and it just becomes another vehicle for them to be wacky on. Can anyone actually say they've enjoyed any of their recent In Review series half as much as MCU? Now they've apparently just abandoned the whole ranking aspect for the most part, which was honestly one of the most appealing parts of the show, and what drove most of the discussion from fans. This is all ignoring how bad these reviews are going to be too. They're going to have a single Pokemon "fan" around for Detective Pikachu so that'll be a mess, and you can already guarantee they're just going to shit all over the live-action remakes.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
I genuinely remember being very excited at the prospects of their new lineup back in January. But apart from KF/AF it has been an incredibly disappointing few months of Kinda Funny content. It's almost like they've burnt out and in some respects are just phoning it in to get from one exhausting weekend of travel to the next.