• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
In Review series is officially dead for me. Just so boring. The GoT in review is them non-stop complaining about the show and I expect the same for the newer movies.

I have found myself getting more and more disinterested in KF's gaming and entertainment content. They are all so boring and similar. There are better alternatives to both gaming and movie/TV podcasts out there than theirs.
to be fair... outside of episode 2 this seasons of Game of thrones has been mediocre at best.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind in-review and it seems to be something the community at large enjoys. But what's with these picks? I get it, they want to tie-in to pick movie releases as they happen but just react to those when they come out instead of forcing it.

Why not just do Pixar non-sequels in-review or Disney's 90's golden age in-review? Popular films with a wide range of varying opinions.

They can't seem to stick the landing these days (in my opinion).
Because the major movie releases are what are going to capture more views. Just look at their MCU In Review videos that released the same time the movie did vs. Fast & Furious IR and Mission Impossible IR. They're trying to capture more viewers to expand their audience and increase their fanbase. And the extra picks to go along with it (Lion King Animated In Review) is going to garner more views at this time too.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
to be fair... outside of episode 2 this seasons of Game of thrones has been mediocre at best.

I have been enjoying the season so far. I get the criticism of ending storylines too quick etc. But the in Review is just non-stop complaining. They acting like it's the prequels.

KF is falling into the typical trap of only criticism when doing a review podcast. All other GoT discussion shows have been able to balance the discussion while KF is just pure shitting on the show. How does that make your in Review entertaining? It just makes me wanna close the window immediately. It's disappointing that KF is still either all praise or all hate with their movie and TV stuff. Like I said before, there are much better alternatives out there than their constant bitching and circle jerking with one another while can't even remember the god-damn character names right.

They're trying to capture more viewers to expand their audience and increase their fanbase.

Kinda Funny is not expanding their audience, at least not at a healthy rate. It's evidenced from the sub-count and view-count not changing much for months.

If they wanted to expand audience, they would actually step out of their comfort zone and do new stuff. Not watching Fast & Furious for the 10th time and repackaging the same shows with different names.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I agree, the audience is definitely not expanding. But I think that this is how the crew at KF see this In Review Line-Up.

Oct 25, 2017
I checked their social blade because I was curious.

Like, their kinda funny games channel has stagnated dramatically. There are literally not gaining any new subs at all, even actively losing them.

Not sure what the cause is there. The big problem is not them not gaining many subs, its that subs are actively unsubbing. Something about the content people are not enjoying.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure they even care about subscribers. As long as they have their core patrons who will give them money no matter what there's no incentive for them to change anything.

Well, I checked their patreon stats. While they don't show Patreon money, they do show Patrons. And exactly one year ago, they are down quite a bit in terms of patrons on both channels. Kinda funny is down 1000+ patrons and about the same with kf games. And its not on the uptick. Its on an active downward trend. Its gradual, but its there.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Not sure what the cause is there. The big problem is not them not gaining many subs, its that subs are actively unsubbing. Something about the content people are not enjoying.

Might have something to do with them travelling all the time and only play GaaS games. The fact that a 2-year old game's spoilercast consists only of new hires and IGN people shows that KF just don't play games anymore.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I checked their social blade because I was curious.

Like, their kinda funny games channel has stagnated dramatically. There are literally not gaining any new subs at all, even actively losing them.

I un-subed recently when they started bringing Andrea on more often and then added Fran into the mix. Both seem so disingenuous to me I couldn't watch their content anymore. It was far to frustrating to hear them defend corporations or other ridiculous things; plus their lack of gaming knowledge hurts their credibility to even discuss simple topics. I never felt they love video games the way the others do, or the way I do, and were more interested in collecting a pay check. I still watch when Whitta is on wednesdays and when Greg and or Tim are on together. But they lost a sub from me as I don't follow them the way I used to. They need a better crew imho

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I un-subed recently when they started bringing Andrea on more often and then added Fran into the mix. Both seem so disingenuous to me I couldn't watch their content anymore. It was far to frustrating to hear them defend corporations or other ridiculous things; plus their lack of gaming knowledge hurts their credibility to even discuss simple topics. I never felt they love video games the way the others do, or the way I do, and were more interested in collecting a pay check. I still watch when Whitta is on wednesdays and when Greg and or Tim are on together. But they lost a sub from me as I don't follow them the way I used to. They need a better crew imho

They have the crew, they just need to stop traveling and hosting events and actually put in the work back at home base where they've left their fans in the hands of people half of them don't even like.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Well, I checked their patreon stats. While they don't show Patreon money, they do show Patrons. And exactly one year ago, they are down quite a bit in terms of patrons on both channels. Kinda funny is down 1000+ patrons and about the same with kf games. And its not on the uptick. Its on an active downward trend. Its gradual, but its there.
They might be down from a year ago but they have a core subscriber base that will never budge and it would take a complete and utter screw up for them to completely turn off these fans. It's the reason they're doing all these meet & greets. Gotta keep their bread & butter happy.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I've said it before but the big problem is there's just *so many* shows these days that everything feels just okay, or serviceable. KFGD is super formulaic, GC has basically become an hour of "what you've been playing" (usually the same games every week) and everything else is just an outlet for them to be a bit wacky. Only KFAF really stands out and even that has fallen into a pattern now.

It doesn't seem like there's any room for them to catch their breath, work out what's working and what's not and adapt. Everything moves so fast and they do so much travelling that they're okay with putting out average content so that they have *something* out for their core audience to watch/listen to.

And yeah they have that core audience and Patreon money so there will be a baseline of viewers and income regardless of the content they put out. That's why they can get away with doing In Reviews for stuff like MI or F&F when most people wouldn't be interested. Or why KFGD has become as formulaic as it is. Because it doesn't matter as long as it's good enough for that core audience.

Greg's talked before about wanting KF to become the next IGN or Rooster Teeth and I think they need a massive re-evaluation of their content if that's going to happen. Instead of this focus on the schedule over all else, they should look at what people will actually enjoy or what will bring people in. Hopefully this town hall today will answer a lot of questions; although I haven't seen it advertised anywhere at all.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Greg's talked before about wanting KF to become the next IGN or Rooster Teeth and I think they need a massive re-evaluation of their content if that's going to happen. Instead of this focus on the schedule over all else, they should look at what people will actually enjoy or what will bring people in. Hopefully this town hall today will answer a lot of questions; although I haven't seen it advertised anywhere at all.
I hate when Greg talks about this. I only watch their content for Greg, Tim, and Andy. No offence to the other employees, but I couldn't care less about them and the day they step away or permanently go behind the scenes is the day I never watch any Kinda Funny content again.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
I'm not sure they even care about subscribers. As long as they have their core patrons who will give them money no matter what there's no incentive for them to change anything.

I also wouldn't discount the amount of money they get from advertising, sponsorships and Greg's appearance fees. With the amount they do I suspect that is the reason they hid their Patreon $ numbers in the first place. It'll be a significant and sustainable amount of added income.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
They are arguably the least interesting and informative big gaming channel around. They will continue to lose subs as long as every Gamescast consists of nothing but vapid, surface-level discussions on new games.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Same here. I also unsubbed a few weeks ago.

They hate that term but Andrea is a shill, there's no way around it. Fran seems like a nice guy but he's stuck in his GaaS bubble and doesn't seem to be knowledgeable about anything aside from the occasional older Nintendo game. For someone who's been in the industry for so long, he doesn't bring much to the table, unlike Whitta for example. Jared was a weirdo (a lovable one of course) and a bit awkward at times but he could actually discuss a variety of subjects intelligently. And we never had to doubt his integrity.

Greg I have mixed feeling about. I still like him a lot but his credibility keeps taking more hits. I'm sorry but I have zero interest in hearing what he has to say about Borderlands after having hosted that event. I miss "journalist hat" old school Greg.
Tim I'm still cool with. Maybe he doesn't play enough games but that was always the case.

Anyway, my point is that I don't want to see anyone get fired or anything, but a bit less Andrea and Fran I wouldn't mind. And some more knowledgeable new faces would be great.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
They are arguably the least interesting and informative big gaming channel around. They will continue to lose subs as long as every Gamescast consists of nothing but vapid, surface-level discussions on new games.
Yep, I never watch their gaming related stuff anymore, it's so dull and pointless.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty disappointing given where they started. Compare Greg and Colin discussing Horizon to the type of discussions they have on new games now. It's night and day.

Tim I'm still cool with. Maybe he doesn't play enough games but that was always the case.
Ironically Tim is now by far the most interesting person to listen to on Gamescast, because even though he doesn't play as many games as the others, he takes the time to actually form a proper opinion on the games he does play, as opposed to just "ugh, yeah, been real busy, did the first few missions, it was awesome so far, can't wait to play more!".

ghornett

Nov 16, 2017
Greg I have mixed feeling about. I still like him a lot but his credibility keeps taking more hits. I'm sorry but I have zero interest in hearing what he has to say about Borderlands after having hosted that event. I miss "journalist hat" old school Greg.

I agree. Greg seems to play less games than ever and has less to say about them. It might be that he's playing games I don't care about, but something has definitely changed.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
So far:

- We Have Cool Friends is taking GoT In Review's spot
- Season shows will all be dumped onto Patreon $1 tier in one go when they're ready. Up on YT at normal times
- E3 showcase on Monday 10th at 4:30pm

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
The PPV has been pushed back to October. Fuckin' booooo!

Echochlo and Blessing Jr were picked as the Up and Comers.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda wanna do a thread about the showcase but it's hard to tell how Gaming feels like Greg at this point

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm going to assume nothing major was actually addressed in the town hall considering it's not uploaded to their YouTube, and there's not even a single thread about it on the subreddit. God, these guys are fucking awful at getting their message across to the audience. They're probably currently thinking they've effectively communicated their message, meanwhile, people are still going to be asking "where's the PPV?" every single week. I had to come to Resetera of all places to get this news. They did the same thing when they changed around the schedule after Debatable ended. They announced this schedule change IN THE COMMENTS SECTION OF A RANDOM REDDIT THREAD. They didn't even create a thread to announce it; just dropped it in a random one, bounced, and apparently that was good enough for them to call it a day. Did the town hall even address any of the criticisms that have been constantly levelled at them since KF 4.0 started?

Also, I'm calling it now; that PPV is never fucking happening. Schedule it for October all you want, but I will be genuinely shocked if that ever sees the light of day.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
If anyone wanna follow exciting championship belt defenses, watch UpUpDownDown. They recently launched their championship and so far the tournaments and defenses are really entertaining.

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
just listened to the Days gone gamescast.

During the entire thing I couldn't stop thinking that literally everything they were saying could have been said for Anthem.

and to be honest I actually enjoyed Greg's detailed dissection of the game, I wish he would do it more often

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

Title rolls of the tongue

edit: it was originally kfgd051019

Last edited:

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Yeah, it's pretty disappointing given where they started. Compare Greg and Colin discussing Horizon to the type of discussions they have on new games now. It's night and day.

Ironically Tim is now by far the most interesting person to listen to on Gamescast, because even though he doesn't play as many games as the others, he takes the time to actually form a proper opinion on the games he does play, as opposed to just "ugh, yeah, been real busy, did the first few missions, it was awesome so far, can't wait to play more!".

I think this is the issue: Colin, for all his bullshit, was a dissenting opinion to Greg amid Tim, Nick, and Kevin at the time. So when he left it was just 4 dudes that more or less had the same opinion about things. So then they hire a bunch of other people that either have no opinion, or the same opinion so it all devolves in to dullness. Fortunately Tim has evolved and now I only watch anything he's on.

Kinda wanna do a thread about the showcase but it's hard to tell how Gaming feels like Greg at this point

I think Gaming is fine with Greg. Most people have an issue with Andrea, even more so after she crapped all over her own apology.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
People just seem to all want to dump their negativity against one person when it comes to this community.

People dog piled Tim. Then Colin. Then Jared. Now its Andrea's turn.

Personally for me the gaming side was Greg and colin. Since Colin left my interest in their gaming talk has disappeared. And not because its Colin but because the Greg and Colin dynamic worked. They havent replaced that dynamic and it's become a one note echo chamber.

The ironic thing about the Colin thing was people in this community/neogaf constantly attacked Colin and wanted him out. Constant posts about how they won't listen to kinda funny until he's gone etc etc. When it came to gaming side that was always the talk. Then that tweet happened and people were out for blood and they got their wish. And I cant help but feel Tim and Kevin were constantly reading that kind of stuff and some of the behind the scenes stuff was them thinking Colin was hurting their business. But then Colin was gone and not only did their business not expand, it shrank. All those people that swore colin was the reason they wouldn't listen never actually cared and never "came back. " They just wanted to get Coiin out and had no intention of listening to kinda funny. And that same behaviour from the era/gaf community reared its head during that last controversy and that thread. People like that are always looking for their target.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
The business expanded it didn't shrink when Colin left what you on about? They literally have 3 more employees now, Colin leaving was probably the best thing for the business, you can argue and make a great point how the content might be stagnant now but to say its actually shrank is no offence laughable.

Last edited:

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
The business expanded it didn't shrink when Colin left what you on about? They literally have 3 more employees now, Colin leaving was probably the best thing for the business, you can argue and make a great point how the content might be alittle stagnant now but to say its actually shrank is no offense fucking laughable.
Andy was hired while Colin was there. He just hadn't started yet.

Joey and cool Greg probably make together what colin was taking home considering he was a founder/owner.

And their subs and money take home did shrink on patreon and they've seen little to no bounceback growth. Not sure what's laughable. Collins fans left and didn't come back. And they didn't experience a growth from not having him anymore.

Go look on their YouTube and click on the most popular videos. You'll notice something. Theyre all old videos.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Other than him being a shitehawk I do miss game discussions with Colin being there.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
The business expanded it didn't shrink when Colin left what you on about? They literally have 3 more employees now, Colin leaving was probably the best thing for the business, you can argue and make a great point how the content might be stagnant now but to say its actually shrank is no offence laughable.
Their staff has expanded but their audience hasn't. People aren't getting on board with Kinda Funny as an 'entertainment destination' despite their efforts. Their audience wants interesting and meaningful gaming discussion and they're not getting it.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Hell nowadays most of their videos on YouTube struggle to even crack 20K views.

A few years ago that was the floor.

Just out of curiosity and boredom I just took a look at their last 50 videos and first 50 videos on both the games side and regular side.

The first 50 videos on gaming side they dont have a single video under 20K views. The high was 277K.

The newest 50 videos only 15 of them managed to get over 20K views. The highest was 34K views.

The floor has now become their highs.

On the other side,

Their last 50 videos only 19 of them managed to crack the 20K barrier.

Their first 50 videos only one single video didn't crack 20K.

I remember them discussing cracking 200K subs when they were first starting. Its years later and they're still in the 200K range.

Sure you could argue that maybe their audio only has grown but I cant find solid numbers to back that up either way. Between patreon and YouTube they've been AT BEST stagnant. But the YouTube views tell a story of them losing people,not gaining.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
"In review" was one of their newer big successes and I have mostly been sticking to their movie discussions. I'm checked out of gaming because daily is too much for me to follow and most of the time discussions tend to be less in depth than other stuff I listen to splitscreen/waypoint/eza stuff.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think this is the essence for me of why Ive fallen off. Their discussion of games and the industry just isn't that deep or interesting and in addition, as others have mentioned, the constant corporate defense from some of them in addition to the aforementioned issue, is pretty off putting. I love greg, tim, andy, gary and even Fran has actually grown on me (couldnt stand him at ign) but theyre too far and in between on shows to tune in everyday and in addition just dont provide that insightful of discussion about topics.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Their staff has expanded but their audience hasn't. People aren't getting on board with Kinda Funny as an 'entertainment destination' despite their efforts. Their audience wants interesting and meaningful gaming discussion and they're not getting it.

This is a really strong point. All the new stuff they are doing with KFAF, that random ass football team, cooking with Greggy etc caters to their existing fan base. They have done nothing to grow their base. For them to do that, they really have to improve their gaming discussions and gaming output.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
This is a really strong point. All the new stuff they are doing with KFAF, that random ass football team, cooking with Greggy etc caters to their existing fan base. They have done nothing to grow their base. For them to do that, they really have to improve their gaming discussions and gaming output.
For me when Colin left they lost their identity. They used to be the playstation guys. I could listen to them and hear pretty in depth stuff as a Sony fan and hear them talk about niche titles, even silly ones. But lots of hidden gems. Now they just seem to just cover whatever is the most popular at the moment and they dint even do it well.

Collins last few months the show was meh and you could tell they needed a shake up. And it happened and for a while it got better and Andy brought a great new energy. But they've fallen back into a rut and I'm not sure how they can shake things up. Those first few months with KFGD starting and party mode starting where excellent to me and it sold me on them not needing Colin.

They just need a strong voice on the show. Andrea tries but she just isn't it.

Party Mode for me is their best content right now all around. I almost always enjoy every episode and it's put me onto many games. But the discussion is just lacking.