• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Sigh, Greg and Andrea are hosting a bunch of EA stuff at E3.
Seriously -and I know this is nothing new- but they need to pick a side. They're not journalists? Okay. Why even do KFGD then?
Who wants to hear about the 50 EA controversies we get per year from people who are on the fucking payroll?

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
Seriously -and I know this is nothing new- but they need to pick a side. They're not journalists? Okay. Why even do KFGD then?
Who wants to hear about the 50 EA controversies we get per year from people who are on the fucking payroll?

Really Greg is doing it this year too? And then hosting his own conference two days later? This all just smells so off to me

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
no they won't because by doing that they get support from the hardcore who support them no matter what and they still get to work for these companies

It's been clear for a while now.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, gaming side is calling them out since they defend EA. It is pretty obvious.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017

Honestly this just feels like the culmination of an extremely disappointing year of KF for me. The focus now, for Greg and Andrea at least, is so clearly on these hosting gigs over everything else and the actual content they produced has suffered so much because of it. Be that through not actually having time to play anything, only playing games on planes or because they're so involved with so many hosting deals with so many companies now.

And its clear why this is happening; the Patreon numbers are tanking, the Youtube subs are tanking and that revenue needs to come from somewhere.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Will wait for time stamp because I don't want to listen to Colin anymore than I have to.

I listened through the entire episode last night.

At around 1:12:00 they disagree on what constitutes western vs. eastern society.

At 1:25:54 they talk about the apocalypse which ends up talking about gun control among other things.

What's interesting about this part is Aisha actually seems more pro-gun than Colin. She actually is a gun owner while Colin still isn't. They both seem to agree that owning a gun is a constitutional right, but also agree in increasing gun control.

I actually think if it wasn't for Colin's frequent "anti-SJW" twitter rants, he'd actually be fairly liked in most gaming communities. On a policy level, he's fairly liberal, it's just the "owning the libs" stuff on Twitter that drives me crazy.

I don't think Aisha clowned him out on this. The 1:12:00 time code is the closest you get to that I think.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I listened through the entire episode last night.

At around 1:12:00 they disagree on what constitutes western vs. eastern society.

At 1:25:54 they talk about the apocalypse which ends up talking about gun control among other things.

What's interesting about this part is Aisha actually seems more pro-gun than Colin. She actually is a gun owner while Colin still isn't. They both seem to agree that owning a gun is a constitutional right, but also agree in increasing gun control.

I actually think if it wasn't for Colin's frequent "anti-SJW" twitter rants, he'd actually be fairly liked in most gaming communities. On a policy level, he's fairly liberal, it's just the "owning the libs" stuff on Twitter that drives me crazy.

I don't think Aisha clowned him out on this. The 1:12:00 time code is the closest you get to that I think.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

Watching Tim and Andy reacting last night to that awful Pokémon stream was hilarious and reminded me why I got into KF content about about a year ago but this shit reminds me why I'm pretty much done with them, Andrea isn't surprising (She's a complete shill through and through) but seeing Greg do it is just sad, like he dosent even like SW that much IIRC?

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was funny/awkward today when Gary was shitting all over EA at E3 just as Greg had agreed to host for them lol

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I agree its pretty dissapointing. Its hard to take games coverage or someones opinion on a game seriously if you know they have accepted money to cover it or host events. If they just want to be entertainers thats fine but you cant do the journalism thing and that at the same time

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Dear god just went to check that Pokemon video out and the thumbnail... might be the worst thing KF have ever done.

Couldn't even bring myself to click on the video. What are they thinking with that shit?

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
So Greg, Tim and Gary dragged EA through the mud today for their E3 lineup but sure keep questioning their integrity.

*Shrug*

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
So Greg, Tim and Gary dragged EA through the mud today for their E3 lineup but sure keep questioning their integrity.

*Shrug*
You should add that to the gaming side thread (if you haven't already). So much unnecessary shitting on them. I would myself but I don't have the patience for the gaming side most of the time.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah, Gary is great. I have no problem with bringing up complaints with their content, but to immediately question Greg's integrity bugs me a lot.
Why?
And this is just as much -if not more- about their credibility than it is about their integrity.
I don't think anyone is accusing Greg of purposefully lying to people. But of course him and Andrea taking on these kinds of jobs affects the content and affects the way they tackle the news, even if it's unintentional and they don't realize it. We saw that with their embarrassing Anthem coverage, for weeks.
And we also know that Tim and Gary offer a very different dynamic than when it's just Greg and Andrea.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up, for those that missed it (I certainly did), they dropped every episode from the current seasons of Oreo Oration and Nick Names on Patreon. Oreo Oration is seven episodes, Nicknames is eight. Binge time!

Last edited:

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Basically everything else has been said on this topic so I'll just add this; why the hell are two people who aren't Star Wars fans hosting the Star Wars game panel? Would rather someone like Carboni covering it who actually likes and understands the franchise.

I don't think them saying EA's E3 looks disappointing means they won't be soft on the games they're hired to cover. They were literally the only outlet I saw praising Anthem and they've given preferential treatment to games they featured in the Showcase. Go look at reviews for Away: Journey to the Unexpected and then compare them to Greg's review where he gushed over it and mentioned 0 negatives.

What an over reaction by Tim about that Pokemon Conference wow
This is another thing that really annoys me about Kinda Funny and a lot of the internet in general. There was nothing wrong with that press conference. They announced multiple games and basically signalled that live action movies would be a priority moving forward. THEY TOLD US THERE WOULD BE NO SWORD AND SHIELD NEWS. They explicitly stated that it would focus on other aspects of the franchise. People build up a certain expectation in their minds and then they bitch, moan, and call it the worst thing ever because it didn't match what they unrealistically wanted. Tim also isn't even a Pokemon fan, so what's the big deal even if it was bad? Tim's shat on every Pokemon game that has come out during his time at Kinda Funny and has already stated he doesn't really care about Sword & Shield. I love when Tim reviews games he's played, he's become really good at that, but when it comes to these sorts of reactions he is either over the top with fake hype (like destroying a laptop over a Smash character reveal) or he just wants to completely dunk on it and make memes out of it. It's so fake.

Also, that video thumbnail is yuck. Peak generic YouTuber.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I thought today's KFGD was one of the best podcasts they've ever done as Kinda Funny. I think they were lucky to have a lot of significant news that was important to them, but Gary, Greg and Tim trashing EA for like fifteen minutes was proof to me of their integrity.

Call me naive but I trust Greg when he says that he's always honest with us. Some of the guest cohosts, maybe not, but I trust Greg and Tim and I sure as hell trust Gary. Gary is by far the best cohost they've got.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Why?
And this is just as much -if not more- about their credibility than it is about their integrity.
I don't think anyone is accusing Greg of purposefully lying to people. But of course him and Andrea taking on these kinds of jobs affects the content and affects the way they tackle the news, even if it's unintentional and they don't realize it. We saw that with their embarrassing Anthem coverage, for weeks.
And we also know that Tim and Gary offer a very different dynamic than when it's just Greg and Andrea.
Greg has been in the gaming industry now for over 10 years and has never at this point shown compromise in his values. He has a journalism degree from one of the top journalism schools in the country so he of all people understands this. So accusing them of having their opinions for hire is insulting considering they've done 0 to justify it.

Jeff Gertsman used to go to PR events all the time for games, can we not trust his opinion on games?

Keep in mind, when they were talking about Anthem Greg A. Had never done anything with EA before. B. Does not like to be overly negative and likes to find the positive in things. So of course he isn't going to dunk on it. And even then, he many times said there were many problems with the game but he was enjoying hopping on with friends and playing, which other journalists said is the best way to play it and agreed with Fran's 6.5 to 7 review.

They did the FF XV event and IIRC Tim wasn't that in love with it and Greg didn't even play it so it's not like doing these events has mattered that much.

You should add that to the gaming side thread (if you haven't already). So much unnecessary shitting on them. I would myself but I don't have the patience for the gaming side most of the time.
Ehhh Probably too late now.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Very much looking forward to Greg and Andrea's coverage of Fallen Order, which is my #2 most anticipated game of E3
Have enjoyed their singular hosting efforts, such as Greg at Marvel Games' Comic Con panel and Andrea's hosting of E3 last year

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
H.Cornerstone Jeff Gerstmann going to be PR events to cover games with other media is very diffferent from being PAID to host a gig for them.

No one at Giant Bomb would ever do a paid hosting gig in this industry. At least I hope they wouldn't.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
To be honest my issue with all the hosting stuff is that the constant travelling is clearly impacting on their content, rather than any problems with their integrity.

It's difficult to argue that them not having time to play much (other than GaaS) has made GC a worse product and that's a direct result of all the travelling they do. The sharp decline in the quality of that show can be linked to the amount of travelling they do.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Greg has been in the gaming industry now for over 10 years and has never at this point shown compromise in his values. He has a journalism degree from one of the top journalism schools in the country so he of all people understands this. So accusing them of having their opinions for hire is insulting considering they've done 0 to justify it.

Jeff Gertsman used to go to PR events all the time for games, can we not trust his opinion on games?

Keep in mind, when they were talking about Anthem Greg A. Had never done anything with EA before. B. Does not like to be overly negative and likes to find the positive in things. So of course he isn't going to dunk on it. And even then, he many times said there were many problems with the game but he was enjoying hopping on with friends and playing, which other journalists said is the best way to play it and agreed with Fran's 6.5 to 7 review.

They did the FF XV event and IIRC Tim wasn't that in love with it and Greg didn't even play it so it's not like doing these events has mattered that much.
Your Jeff Gerstmann comparison is profoundly absurd and I'm sure you know it.

Once again, this is not about him being willfully deceptive. It's about an identity crisis that is affecting their content.
Greg might have a journalism degree, but he's not a journalist anymore. I don't mean that as an insult, his career just took a different path. But he still takes pride in that legacy and his time at IGN (rightfully so) and as a result, Kinda Funny still tries to offer journalistic content in some of their shows like KFGD. The quality of which has been nosediving in recent months, particularly when Greg and Andrea are together without anyone to check them. He's living in the past, that's it. That's why I'm saying they should pick a side. I know they won't, but they should.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
To be honest my issue with all the hosting stuff is that the constant travelling is clearly impacting on their content, rather than any problems with their integrity.

It's difficult to argue that them not having time to play much (other than GaaS) has made GC a worse product and that's a direct result of all the travelling they do. The sharp decline in the quality of that show can be linked to the amount of travelling they do.

Also confirmed on the reddit that he will travel back to SF for their reactions the next day. Surely this is the type of exhausting shit that can actually have a real impact on your own content on the busiest weekend of the year? One where they themselves are hosting a conference! This all just seems like a bad, money-driven decision to me. Are things that rough?

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
avengersprojecte3expo.jpg

Looks like Greg and Andrea are hosting panels for my two most anticipated games at E3! Wouldn't want anyone else

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I personally am not a fan of all the KFG meetups, I live in Europe so that basically means less Greg and I watch KFG for Greg.

But I do understand things like the EA gig and those meet ups are a necessity.

I do think Jared left to soon. He was on Retronauts recently and that Jared was so much more relaxed. I feel like all the complaints he got made him insecure and that is never a healty thing

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
H.Cornerstone Jeff Gerstmann going to be PR events to cover games with other media is very diffferent from being PAID to host a gig for them.

No one at Giant Bomb would ever do a paid hosting gig in this industry. At least I hope they wouldn't.
Your Jeff Gerstmann comparison is profoundly absurd and I'm sure you know it.

Once again, this is not about him being willfully deceptive. It's about an identity crisis that is affecting their content.
Greg might have a journalism degree, but he's not a journalist anymore. I don't mean that as an insult, his career just took a different path. But he still takes pride in that legacy and his time at IGN (rightfully so) and as a result, Kinda Funny still tries to offer journalistic content in some of their shows like KFGD. The quality of which has been nosediving in recent months, particularly when Greg and Andrea are together without anyone to check them. He's living in the past, that's it. That's why I'm saying they should pick a side. I know they won't, but they should.
How is it patently absurd? It doesn't happen anymore but Jeff and a bunch of other journalists were flown to places, with free food and board. Clearly they can't be unbiased right?

We don't even know if Greg and Andrea are being paid for the EA gig. They could be doing it for free just for the publicity to get their name out.

And none of what you just said has anything to do with whether or not he can be unbiased in his analysis. Clearly he can because he just dragged EA through the mud yesterday for their EA Play lineup. Saying just because he is hosting the panel means he is automatically biased is insulting as he has done nothing to show his opinions are for sale. That's it. This isn't about whether you like the content or not, or whether you don't think they talk about enough games, or go deep enough into them. This is solely saying his opinion is for sale and is quite frankly insulting.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
This is solely saying his opinion is for sale and is quite frankly insulting.
You are just not hearing me at all.
Them being so embedded with so many companies compromises their credibility and the quality of their overall discussions about the industry. That's it.
No one is saying that EA gave them a check to be nice about Anthem or that they are purposefully lying to their audience and being misleading. I've stated that several times on this page.

The fact that there are exceptions once in a while like the EA talk yesterday is irrelevant when they've had so many garbage takes on industry happenings in the past few months. And it would have been a very different discussion had Andrea been there instead of Gary.

And I'm not gonna bother with the Gerstmann stuff. I know you can see the difference.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
You are just not hearing me at all.
Them being so embedded with so many companies compromises their credibility and the quality of their overall discussions about the industry. That's it.
No one is saying that EA gave them a check to be nice about Anthem or that they are purposefully lying to their audience and being misleading. I've started that several times on this page.

The fact that there are exceptions once in a while like the EA talk yesterday is irrelevant when they've had so many garbage takes on industry happenings in the past few months. And it would have been a very different discussion had Andrea been there instead of Gary.

And I'm not gonna bother with the Gerstmann stuff. I know you can see the difference.
But by saying this, this is exactly what you are saying "Them being so embedded with so many companies compromises their credibility and the quality of their overall discussions about the industry. That's it."

And yes, many people are saying they were nice to Anthem just because of their past relations with them.

Again, Greg likes to be positive and hates dogpiling on people, which is probably why he isn't as tough on companies as other outlets. But to assume it's because of "Relations" is again, going after his integrity. Especially when he was nice to Fallout 76 and he really doesn't have any connections to Bethesda.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Again, Greg likes to be positive and hates dogpiling on people, which is probably why he isn't as tough on companies as other outlets. But to assume it's because of "Relations" is again, going after his integrity. Especially when he was nice to Fallout 76 and he really doesn't have any connections to Bethesda.
Sigh. No.
You are just seeing things in my posts that aren't there.
I do not believe that he is being purposefully deceitful or dishonest. Okay? How else do you want me to phrase it?
That is not my problem with Greg and KF but you seem to think that it is.
We are having two different arguments entirely.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
How is it patently absurd? It doesn't happen anymore but Jeff and a bunch of other journalists were flown to places, with free food and board. Clearly they can't be unbiased right?

We don't even know if Greg and Andrea are being paid for the EA gig. They could be doing it for free just for the publicity to get their name out.
Lmfao Yes, they're being paid for hosting the event. Also, if you can't tell the difference between being flown out for preview coverage and LITERALLY BEING EMPLOYED BY A VIDEO GAME DEVELOPER/PUBLISHER to host an event there's no helping you.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Lmfao Yes, they're being paid for hosting the event. Also, if you can't tell the difference between being flown out for preview coverage and LITERALLY BEING EMPLOYED BY A VIDEO GAME DEVELOPER/PUBLISHER to host an event there's no helping you.
How do you know they're being paid? I am specifically talking in the ability to make an unbiased opinion. And again, I've seen Greg and Tim criticize EA and Square Enix and even Sony so clearly they can separate the two.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
How do you know they're being paid? I am specifically talking in the ability to make an unbiased opinion. And again, I've seen Greg and Tim criticize EA and Square Enix and even Sony so clearly they can separate the two.

Why would they do it for free? *Exposure* they aint some sort of startup indie company, previous host gigs have been paid.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I mean it's pretty clear that they get paid for these things... they wouldn't fly out and spend however many days working for free.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
alright, I'm done with this conversation.
Greg has had a long historic relationship with Sony, even being on stage doing a live PSILY, but still tore them to shreds for them being misleading about Crossplay.
Tim and Greg have personal friends that worked on Battlefront II in Mitch Dyer and Javina Gavankar and still criticized EA a ton about the Lootboxes and Tim talked about how disappointed he was in the game because of how bad it was.
Just Wednesday they dragged EA through the mud for their E3 lineup.
In this past month Greg said how disappointed in a game he was and how much he didn't like it, even though it was in the Kinda Funny Showcase and I think Gen was even doing the marketing on it.

But sure, call them compromised and corporate shills because they liked Anthem more than most and are hosting the E3 thing and how it's "effecting their content."

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I never called them compromised or shills personally, I simply said they aren't working for free.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I think the reason Greg does things like the EA gig is indeed to give KF more exposure.

Easy Allies for example is considered a succes but I noticed most of their videos have 20.000/30.000 views and that are the more successful ones. Thinks like Huber syndrome and Easy update have 7000 views tops. The KF vids also have around the 30.000 viewers. There's hardly any growth.

Meanwhile there are a lot of solo channels that easily have 150.000 people watching uploads and those are mostly solo channels with perhaps a editor or 2. A Chanel like KF has multiple people in their staff making it more important to grow.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes they are being paid, Greg and Tim and Andrea are hosts first and foremost, they host shows, events, and content, that's their job. That's why publishers are hiring them to host events, because each of them has nearly a decade of hosting experience in the industry. Greg was a journalist at one point but he hasn't been one for a long time, Tim and Andrea were never journalists. I don't know why you would assume they AREN'T being paid, given this is their main line of work.

FWIW I haven't seen anyone suggesting in this thread that they are paid shills, or that they have no integrity. Just that the constant out of town hosting gigs are affecting the content they produce, which is accurate. I totally understand why they would do these hosting gigs (make more money, boost your profile) but you cant do everything at once, something has to give.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Yes they are being paid, Greg and Tim and Andrea are hosts first and foremost, they host shows, events, and content, that's their job. That's why publishers are hiring them to host events, because each of them has nearly a decade of hosting experience in the industry. Greg was a journalist at one point but he hasn't been one for a long time, Tim and Andrea were never journalists. I don't know why you would assume they AREN'T being paid, given this is their main line of work.

I would say their jobs are host/industry critic more than just hosts, which is where the potential conflict of interest comes from. But I've been following Greg and Tim long enough to trust that they'll be open and transparent about these things (Andrea I don't really know about and tbh I don't really care).

But you're right that the main impact is the nosedive in quality due to all the travelling. I only really listen to GC these days and it's shocking how poor it's been since the start of the year. Hopefully it's something they're looking at balancing better in the future.