• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Yes they are being paid, Greg and Tim and Andrea are hosts first and foremost, they host shows, events, and content, that's their job. That's why publishers are hiring them to host events, because each of them has nearly a decade of hosting experience in the industry. Greg was a journalist at one point but he hasn't been one for a long time, Tim and Andrea were never journalists. I don't know why you would assume they AREN'T being paid, given this is their main line of work.

FWIW I haven't seen anyone suggesting in this thread that they are paid shills, or that they have no integrity. Just that the constant out of town hosting gigs are affecting the content they produce, which is accurate. I totally understand why they would do these hosting gigs (make more money, boost your profile) but you cant do everything at once, something has to give.
From earlier in the thread:
"Them being so embedded with so many companies compromises their credibility and the quality of their overall discussions about the industry. That's it."

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would say their jobs are host/industry critic more than just hosts, which is where the potential conflict of interest comes from. But I've been following Greg and Tim long enough to trust that they'll be open and transparent about these things (Andrea I don't really know about and tbh I don't really care).

But you're right that the main impact is the nosedive in quality due to all the travelling. I only really listen to GC these days and it's shocking how poor it's been since the start of the year. Hopefully it's something they're looking at balancing better in the future.
I don't think any of their hosting jobs have affected their opinions on a game, it's more the time commitment and the need to promote themselves which in turn promotes the publisher they are hosting for.
From earlier in the thread:
"Them being so embedded with so many companies compromises their credibility and the quality of their overall discussions about the industry. That's it."
I don't think that's an unreasonable statement, nor is that post claiming they are paid shills. I don't think it's affected their credibility, but I can see why someone else might. It has definitely affected their discussions about the industry.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Just opened up Twitch and immediately I hear Greg and Andrea championing the next CoD like it's the next coming of Christ.

If I knew nothing about games, I would think Activision is a company that respects game as a media.

Karthane

Mar 20, 2018
Just opened up Twitch and immediately I hear Greg and Andrea championing the next CoD like it's the next coming of Christ.

If I knew nothing about games, I would think Activision is a company that respects game as a media.
The new CoD has no season-pass, free maps, cross-play. It's worth being optimistic about.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017

Never got that feeling at all. They seemed optimistic about it sure, but it's the most optimism-worthy COD game since MW2.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Jesus, today's Games Daily was painful to watch, for someone who bangs on so much about how he's rooting for Xbox it's embarassing how little Greg actually knows, like holy shit do some basic research.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Y'all are getting Jedi mind tricked by Activision. They took away the campaign last year but add it back this year, coupled with buzzwords like cross-play and nostalgia "modern warfare" brand and people are starting to get excited for another CoD.

When Andrea was talking about the game's feature, I felt like I was listening to someone read a press release not someone giving a opinion.

It will be the same as always for CoD. A $60 yearly title with micro-transactions that plays the same. Bringing back "Modern Warfare" doesn't mean Activision care, they are just desperate to compete with Fornite and know people eat up nostalgia.

The fact that there are now 4 Black Ops and 4 Modern Warfare show they are indeed creative bankrupt and just throw out whatever that makes them money.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Y'all are getting Jedi mind tricked by Activision. They took away the campaign last year but add it back this year, coupled with buzzwords like cross-play and nostalgia "modern warfare" brand and people are starting to get excited for another CoD.

When Andrea was talking about the game's feature, I felt like I was listening to someone read a press release not someone giving a opinion.

It will be the same as always for CoD. A $60 yearly title with micro-transactions that plays the same. Bringing back "Modern Warfare" doesn't mean Activision care, they are just desperate to compete with Fornite and know people eat up nostalgia.

The fact that there are now 4 Black Ops and 4 Modern Warfare show they are indeed creative bankrupt and just throw out whatever that makes them money.

I think you're being a bit cynical. I've never been "hyped" for a Call of Duty game. I've bought some, but never at launch and I've never cared too much, but this one caught my interest because the campaign sounds really cool. Cross play isn't exactly a buzzword if it actually means something. A $60 AAA multiplayer game like Call of Duty with full cross-play (which doesn't seem to be confirmed yet) is a big deal for the franchise and the industry as a whole.

It's cool to hate COD, and I get it, but the games are, even at their worst, mechanically sound, pretty-looking and fun games.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
The reason Activision went for cross-play isn't coming from them wanting the industry to go that direction. It's because they saw how cross-play helped Fortnite into insane popularity and want that for CoD.

Also, I'm not just being a hater. All these yearly games from Activision, EA and 2k that litters with micro-transaction are all disease for the game industry. They all have decent mechanics and graphics, but they are still absolute the worst for the game industry.

Call of Duty, NBA2K, Fifa etc. These games are yearly scams. I don't think giving Activision shit is being cynical. The fact that they brought back campaign makes people go crazy shows how scary the reality is. A company that pumps out a CoD every year can get people excited for including a campaign. Can't imagine what's gonna happen next.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Both perspectives are valid. You're right - COD is designed to extract every possible dollar from you, but they are also stunningly-polished games with the best shooting mechanics of any AAA FPS series.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought the E3 prediction episode was weak. Crazy considering it should be the easiest slam dunk of the year.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Really cool how they did their E3 predictions episode and half the guys were either just dicking around or had no actual idea about what was happening at E3 this year.

I didn't think it was that bad honestly, better than most of the episodes this year, but then that's a pretty low bar.

The only thing that really got on my nerves was Fran seemingly being unable to grasp that EA aren't holding a press conference this year.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
It was the first gamescast episode I listened to in a while and I thought that overall it was enjoyable.

Though once again it definitely showed that Fran doesn't bring much to the table as a commenter since he seems to be unaware of...well, anything related to the gaming industry. It was pretty comical and the way Tim reacted to all of his predictions was cathartic, lol.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was the first gamescast episode I listened to in a while and I thought that overall it was enjoyable.

Though once again it definitely showed that Fran doesn't bring much to the table as a commenter since he seems to be unaware of...well, anything related to the gaming industry. It was pretty comical and the way Tim reacted to all of his predictions was cathartic, lol.
Yeah I'm not really sure what Fran really adds to the content. I mean don't get me wrong, he's a super nice guy and all, and I know he has a ton of experience and was at IGN forever. But like...sometimes he's just kind of there? Like I feel he gives the most neutral responses on everything and doesn't seem particularly knowledgable on most subjects.

Idk, maybe that's unfair of me to say.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah I'm not really sure what Fran really adds to the content. I mean don't get me wrong, he's a super nice guy and all, and I know he has a ton of experience and was at IGN forever. But like...sometimes he's just kind of there? Like I feel he gives the most neutral responses on everything and doesn't seem particularly knowledgable on most subjects.

Idk, maybe that's unfair of me to say.
That's what's so weird about this, he's been in the game for so long, you'd think he'd know more about the industry, lol. At least with Gary it's understandable that he's not always up to date but he still brings plenty to the table.
I'm cool with Fan as a person though, certainly. But maybe this wasn't the right career move for him, I don't know...

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
For anyone who was talking about how much they "missed" Colin a while back, go take a look through his twitter feed...

I just looked through it and Jesus Christ what a shit show. I'll never not feel angry that I followed and liked that guy for so long.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I'm actually blown away at how little Fran has brought to Kinda Funny. I was so excited when they announced he'd be joining the crew, but he seems to have very little insight into gaming these days.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
Really cool how they did their E3 predictions episode and half the guys were either just dicking around or had no actual idea about what was happening at E3 this year.
It was good. ok. But last years was much better
I'm actually blown away at how little Fran has brought to Kinda Funny. I was so excited when they announced he'd be joining the crew, but he seems to have very little insight into gaming these days.
Yeah...

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I too was a little disappointed in the E3 predictions Gamescast. Andy was being Andy, Fran doesn't offer much for KF unless there's news about GaaS, Greg was under NDA's. Also things they can't control like no EA and no PS. This should be one of their biggest gamescasts of the year and just fell flat and had to turn off halfway through.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's what's so weird about this, he's been in the game for so long, you'd think he'd know more about the industry, lol. At least with Gary it's understandable that he's not always up to date but he still brings plenty to the table.
I'm cool with Fan as a person though, certainly. But maybe this wasn't the right career move for him, I don't know...
Gary always has interesting things to say at least. Fran is kind of new at the whole weekly/daily podcast thing other than Destiny, so maybe he just has to get used to it. Ik it's not easy.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I feel like people who just casually browse era or r/games are more knowledgeable
And this is why their subs are tanking. Listening to them is like skim-reading r/games in verbal form.

I know we're beating a dead horse here, but until they do something about it, people are going to continue complaining and eventually go somewhere else.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Greg's interview with Devon Sawa on We Have Cool Friends.. You can tell he really loves interviewing.

I think We Have Cool Friends is a very cool show, but I'd still love to have shows like the old GOG with guests. I understand the point of KFP is to be strictly the main KF guys (and there was a call for that), but I did like many of the GOGs with special guests. WHCF seems more like a formal interview thing than a laid back podcast. Maybe KFP will get to the point when they bring in guests, but as of now, it hasn't.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Apologies for piling on -- I don't mean anything mean-spirited toward the guy -- but I didn't enjoy Fran joining the crew from the beginning, and I'm at least glad to know I'm not a crazy asshole, based on this thread's response to the E3 predictions video. As just a regular old gaming enthusiast, I shouldn't be mentally fact-checking the host of such a major gaming show so often. I don't expect perfection from gaming journalists, but the whole panel knows this episode is coming, they know it's a big deal, and they've all got their notes to reference. What I do expect is for a host in his position to do a little research before going on the air.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
My problem with Fran is that as a cohost he never seems to grasp anything anyone says to him. Be it on gamescast or games daily he always just seems clueless on most topics while being incapable of adding anything. It's surprising to me that a guy who was at ign for 17 years seems this disconnected from everything gaming.

ghornett

Nov 16, 2017
Fran is so safe. The neutral opinion thing above is dead on. He won't take a stance on anything. Definitely won't say anything bad. Will give the benefit of the doubt every single time. He just seems like a GaaS drone moving from one all night stream to the next. Which is fine, but makes for boring content and opinions imo.

ProbablyRobbie

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Andy plus anyone is amazing. Tim and Andy were great on Games Daily. Andy is also killing it on KFAF. Andy is quickly becoming my favorite Kinda Funny personality.