• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I never played it but that Freedom Wars game Greg used to play so much was pretty much just a PSO rip-off, right?

Still, I can't completely blame them for not being on the PSO hype train. It's not like Sega ever did a good job of evangelizing that franchise.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Reacting like Keanu Reeves being in a video game is something huge is so fucking fake and contrived. I cannot imagine anybody reacting to that with anything other than an "Oh, nice, that's pretty cool." An actor being in a game isn't on the level of something like Final Fantasy 7 remake being announced.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Reacting like Keanu Reeves being in a video game is something huge is so fucking fake and contrived. I cannot imagine anybody reacting to that with anything other than an "Oh, nice, that's pretty cool." An actor being in a game isn't on the level of something like Final Fantasy 7 remake being announced.
Nah. Even giantbomb freaked out.
Nothing fake about his.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017

latest

It was hype as fuck as were the reactions.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy how a group of guys who were working out of a spare bedroom a couple years ago can put together a tighter games presentation than most of the multi-million/billion dollar companies.

The graphics in the corner with names, platforms, release windows, etc along with explanations of what the game is seem so simple but apparently not. I love those!

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

lmao the shittiest of hot takes right here.
Oh my.
It was hype as hell.

Shit like that really does make proud to be a KF fan.

Kinda Funny is so great, amazing job

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I'm baffled Greg likes the Bethesda conference that much but seems down on the Square one. I honestly don't understand.

The Bethesda one was absolutely horrible

Last edited:

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
I'm baffled Greg likes the Bethesda conference that much but seems down on the Square one. I honestly don't understand.

The Bethesda one was absolutely horrible

Yeah he seems so far off on it this year. Complains about Square showing off decent chunks of their games but Fallout 76 putting fucking characters in their game was worth a standing ovation. What

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Like what Andy said it largely boils down to personal interest level in what gets shown. If someone isn't interested in JRPGs or floored by Avengers, it's easy to imagine why Square didn't impress.

That said, I think Square was comfortably better than Bethesda. But considering how Bethesda conferences usually go, I thought their showing this year was strong as well.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tim complaining about The Luminary being "another Square Enix rep" then immediately saying BK is hype because next it could be someone like Sora???????

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tim complaining about The Luminary being "another Square Enix rep" then immediately saying BK is hype because next it could be someone like Sora???????
It's more than that. Another sword fighter with similar attacks to several other characters from a franchise he's probably not heavily invested in.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The Kinda Funny Games Showcase was an absolute highlight at E3 this year -- better paced, unpretentiously presented and more packed with vibrant, interesting content than many of the massively funded conferences this E3. It's such an achievement, such a shot in the arm for E3 season, and I hope it continues.

But what was up with KFG's E3 conference post-shows? I get that the first few conferences could very reasonably be seen as underwhelming, but by the time we got to Square, Greg just seemed straight up despondent, spending the rest of the post-shows staring down at his computer and negging just about everything -- it seemed to noticeably bring Tim, and the whole vibe, down. By the time they got to Nintendo, it was really hard to even listen to; like peak, completely unpleasable gamer entitlement all around. The Breath of the Wild 2 reveal wasn't exciting because "OK, cool, we know it's a thing now, we get to see it, we won't get to play it for a while"? Isn't that exactly what E3 is? We even had off-camera guy trying to argue that Smash Bros. Ultimate was a party game that you "only play once" with your friends. Like, what do you guys even want from games anymore? I understand everyone gets excited for different things, but to handwave away a surprise reveal for a sequel to the most critically acclaimed game in history as "eh, whatever" comes off as really jaded at best.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's more than that. Another sword fighter with similar attacks to several other characters from a franchise he's probably not heavily invested in.

Again though if you don't like anime swordsman what would Sora offer?

The Kinda Funny Games Showcase was an absolute highlight at E3 this year -- better paced, unpretentiously presented and more packed with vibrant, interesting content than many of the massively funded conferences this E3. It's such an achievement, such a shot in the arm for E3 season, and I hope it continues.

But what was up with KFG's E3 conference post-shows? I get that the first few conferences could very reasonably be seen as underwhelming, but by the time we got to Square, Greg just seemed straight up despondent, spending the rest of the post-shows staring down at his computer and negging just about everything -- it seemed to noticeably bring Tim, and the whole vibe, down. By the time they got to Nintendo, it was really hard to even listen to; like peak, completely unpleasable gamer entitlement all around. The Breath of the Wild 2 reveal wasn't exciting because "OK, cool, we know it's a thing now, we get to see it, we won't get to play it for a while"? Isn't that exactly what E3 is? We even had off-camera guy trying to argue that Smash Bros. Ultimate was a party game that you "only play once" with your friends. Like, what do you guys even want from games anymore? I understand everyone gets excited for different things, but to handwave away a surprise reveal for a sequel to the most critically acclaimed game in history as "eh, whatever" comes off as really jaded at best.

It's especially weird when that's been Sony's MO for the last few years and people ate it up. We are still waiting on two of three big reveals for E3 2015.

Last edited:

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I think Greg is tired, earlier this year the first State of Play was something you can't dislike even because it had something for everyone. And now suddenly Square had a bad conference, Nintendo wasn't great.

It's understandable that someone gets tired if you have to work all day but don't go on camera. Especially if you are cranky.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
It's understandable that someone gets tired if you have to work all day but don't go on camera. Especially if you are cranky.

This. At a certain point, I really started to think something was wrong with him (I hope it's just E3 tiredness and nothing serious). You can feel it bring down the mood in the room, too. I don't want or expect KFG to be all hype all the time, but this straight-up cranky, nothing-is-good-because-reasons situation is definitely not a good vibe.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France

Agreed.
My only criticism for the showcase would be that sometimes less is more. There were too many games in there. But still, it was really cool.

I think their reactions or lack thereof to the conferences once again betrays the fact that they barely ever play anything interesting. Only Tim seemed to recognize what some announcements like Panzer Dragoon and Mana were even about. Plus yeah, there's the fatigue obviously.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
I agree that Greg's vibe has been way off this year. Like he still thinks Bethesda was the best show? Good lord. But yes it is painfully obvious how exhausted he is. Sadly E3 only comes once a year and we're seeing once again the effect of his choices to do hosting and travelling over making good content for Kinda Funny.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Greg was looking at his computer the whole time because he was checking his inbox for press releases. They come flooding in as presentations end (says so during the Nintendo review).

He does seem tired though, can't argue that. I also get the feeling that Kinda Funny hyped themselves up way too much for what was always going to be a transitional E3. They seemed pretty convinced that Microsoft was going to have their equivalent of Sony's 2016 conference. Plus they didn't get the glorious streaming future that they're so eager for.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I think they should do a lot less meet ups, it's fun they go to to London but if things like that means more cranky Greg I rather have them stay home.

There was such a huge difference between the KF reactions on the E3 presentations and almost every other outlet that it seems like night and day.

Karthane

Mar 20, 2018
Yeah, this year they just seem completely off. It's like their chemistry is gone and Greg wants to be somewhere else. This E3 not being super exciting doesn't help, but their content is just dull. I much prefer EZA this year.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also dissapointed in their coverage. All their thoughts on each conference can be summed up as "It's cool, whatever."

lemonade

May 8, 2018
I really don't like people looking at their laptop while doing a reaction video.

I'm watching for your reaction, not you staring at your laptop screen. This is a common problem for Greg in conference reacts and Nick in reaction to movie and TV stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Could be where I am at in life (exhausted with work) but their reactions mirrored mine? Don't get me wrong E3 has been fun and all but it lacks the punch of previous years, for obvious reasons with the lack of Sony and that "transitional period" that was mentioned before.

Could also be because my Raptors are in the finals and these games conflict with a lot of these conferences and I'm not giving them 100% of my attention.

There were lots of great announcements this year, but nothing to lose your head over (besides Keanu, cuz... Keanu).

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
E3 was terrible, I don't blame Greg for being apathetic
I don't agree one bit. I really liked the KF showcase but the way every after show discussion has been I'm not sure Greg would have reacted positive to his own conference.

It seems like they are tired, where hoping on news on project x cloud and don't know about the importance of a lot of popular franchises that got brought back this E3

Karthane

Mar 20, 2018
The problem is that if it isn't a mainstream Nintendo game, Sony exclusive, GaaS, or the occasional open world Ubisoft game, then KF has nothing to talk about because their taste in games is so basic and limited.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
The problem is that if it isn't a mainstream Nintendo game, Sony exclusive, GaaS, or the occasional open world Ubisoft game, then KF has nothing to talk about because their taste in games is so basic and limited.
Yep, I completely agree.

Plenty of great announcements this E3. Honestly, for me it's one of the best in recent years.
The fact that they can't even understand why a DQ character in Smash is a huge fucking deal is kind of weird.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I completely agree.

Plenty of great announcements this E3. Honestly, for me it's one of the best in recent years.
The fact that they can't even understand why a DQ character in Smash is a huge fucking deal is honestly kind of weird.
Yeah their reactions to DQ characters in Smash was weird as shit

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah their reactions to DQ characters in Smash was weird as shit
And to be clear, it's not that I begrudge them for not being DQ fans or anything. I don't want them to fake their excitement. But DQ is so massively popular in Smash's home country and both Tim and Greg know that. Them being so dismissive just seemed kinda shitty.

Oh well. I hate always being so negative in this thread. So I'll just say that once again for me this E3 proves that they are not good at being industry commenters. At least not anymore.
But their Showcase was really good. That's the way to go for them.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I understand they don't want another Square Enix anime sword fighter but Tim is absolutely right this opens the door for Sora. Sora who's absolutely not a Square anime sword fighter

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
their reactions to the entire Nintendo Direct was so unexpected and weird.

Even by their own standards of judging a conference by how good the production is. I think Nintendo killed it by having a very thight presentation with a lot of stuff and very little dead times (unlike Square's for examples), I thought they would at least recognize that if they can't recognize the importance of Dragon WARRIOR (.....) in smash

they are so inconsistent sometimes

btw they killed it with the showcase

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
If you're watching with Kinda Funny sure.

EZA has been absolute joy. Check out their reactions.

I'm reminded now of why I only watch Games Daily.
Watching others reactions has nothing to do with my opinion on E3. I also said earlier in the thread I didn't watch any of their E3 videos besides the Nintendo Direct one and that was mostly fine, the direct itself was great.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Each year Easy Allies is my go to for the reactions with Kinda Funny becoming less so.
Gotta be honest. I watch for enthusiasm and easy allies is great for that and I really noticed the down vibe of kinda funny in contrast to it this e3. I'm actually gonna switch it up right now