• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
KFGD can be frustrating on slow news days. Why do they not just cut the show short on these days? They just end up talking in circles.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This week's KF Podcast might be the worst content they've ever produced. The first 75% of it is just them screaming over the top of each other, jumping from topic to topic like they've just downed 15 cans of Red Bull, and then a lengthy visual portion. Greg talking about his cancer stuff was great, but the first three-quarters of the episode were damn-near unlistenable. Might start re-listening to The GOG Show from the beginning instead of keeping up with this anymore.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
This week's KF Podcast might be the worst content they've ever produced. The first 75% of it is just them screaming over the top of each other, jumping from topic to topic like they've just downed 15 cans of Red Bull, and then a lengthy visual portion. Greg talking about his cancer stuff was great, but the first three-quarters of the episode were damn-near unlistenable. Might start re-listening to The GOG Show from the beginning instead of keeping up with this anymore.

I tried listening to it but it starts already so insane from whatever they did on their 'pre-show' which I'm absolutely not paying $10 a month to watch. They must have just accepted that their stuff is purely for paying Patrons at this point, because even jumping in after being away for a few weeks (and as a former big fan in my own right) is nigh-on impossible for most of their shows. This year has been a really sad spiral for me when it comes to KF. Even the stuff I liked (KF/AF and the KF podcast) are growing stale and difficult to follow already.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I tried listening to it but it starts already so insane from whatever they did on their 'pre-show' which I'm absolutely not paying $10 a month to watch. They must have just accepted that their stuff is purely for paying Patrons at this point, because even jumping in after being away for a few weeks (and as a former big fan in my own right) is nigh-on impossible for most of their shows. This year has been a really sad spiral for me when it comes to KF. Even the stuff I liked (KF/AF and the KF podcast) are growing stale and difficult to follow already.
Yeah, it seems like at this point their content is purely geared towards the diehard crowd who will never stop giving them money, and considering their YouTube views are in the toilet it sorta makes sense. Not sure what's going to happen if they keep haemorrhaging Patrons though. The Kinda Funny games Patreon is 60 away from hitting an all-time low. It's down 19% over the last 6 months and KF Prime is down 15%.

Last edited:

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
Yeah, it seems like at this point their content is purely geared towards the diehard crowd who will never stop giving them money, and considering their YouTube views are in the toilet it sorta makes sense. Not sure what's going to happen if they keep haemorrhaging Patrons though. The Kinda Funny games Patreon is 60 away from hitting an all-time low. It's down 60% over the last 6 months and KF Prime is down 15%.

Wow, sobering numbers really. Just hammers home why the constant hosting gigs and onslaught of ads and sponsored streams etc have really grown so much this year. It's wild when you look at the way Easy Allies handles all that stuff, almost all sponsors are Patron tiers and they don't do ad reads in every single thing they do, just their main 2 podcasts. And the patron numbers for them just grows and grows. Hard to go back to KF for me.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
People are gonna hate me for saying this but.. Kinda funny lost their identity when colin left.

They used to be the place to go to for Sony centric coverage, vita etc. PS I Love You was their bread and butter.

When he left they decided not to keep doing that. And the fan base has continued to dwindle. They became too broad. They have never really recovered.

And Greg turned from someone who played a variety of games and put me onto many games to just covering the biggest games.

They need a strong voice to bolster them again. Somebody who plays a variety of games and not just GAAS.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
People are gonna hate me for saying this but.. Kinda funny lost their identity when colin left.

They used to be the place to go to for Sony centric coverage, vita etc. PS I Love You was their bread and butter.

When he left they decided not to keep doing that. And the fan base has continued to dwindle. They became too broad. They have never really recovered.

And Greg turned from someone who played a variety of games and put me onto many games to just covering the biggest games.

They need a strong voice to bolster them again. Somebody who plays a variety of games and not just GAAS.
I despise Colin, but I think you're on the money here. I don't think it's necessarily the absence of Colin that has caused it, but they definitely had a shift in mentality starting then. I started following them back in the Beyond days because I wanted to hear some really knowledgable guys talk about PlayStation. The fact that Greg completely abandoned this concept is baffling. You literally built your audience on this, why throw the baby out with the bathwater? There is a massive audience wanting a Beyond/PSILY style show, so much so that people are willing to listen to Colin podcast with somebody who seems as knowledgable as Nick about PlayStation.

Greg jokes about how he's a Microsoft fanboy now, but there's a nugget of truth in that he definitely isn't a PlayStation fanboy anymore. Outside of trophies, he's barely involved in that ecosystem anymore. I fully expect him to give up PlayStation entirely if the Xbox Games Pass/Stadia all-streaming future he circlejerks about so much arrives smoothly in the next couple of years. If The Division and those other GAAS games were available on Switch he probably would have only turned his PS4 on once in 2019 to play Days Gone.

And, as has been mentioned to death here, the lack of variety is a big issue. Personally, I think this stems a lot from him not being at a place like IGN anymore. When they left they kept celebrating that they didn't have to keep up with all the games anymore like it was a good thing. Except it's become extremely obvious that being forced to stay up to date because of their jobs made both Colin and Greg far more knowledgable and interesting to listen to. I miss the days where I could tune in and hear them sounding the drums for a more obscure PS title a la the original Ni no Kuni.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely fell off this year. Seems like every single episode is Greg played Division, Fran hopes Anthem will be good later, Andrea loves EA/Ubisoft, Tim didn't have time to play anything... and that's basically all they have to talk about.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

I kinda agree

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
So much dual Chloe conversations. I think to avoid confusion, specify which Chloe you are referencing (like Lashley did). I think Chloe Naylor is actually next week's We Have Cool Friends guest (I think she recorded it with Tim).

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
No surprise that the Dykstra video has almost as many thumbs down as up. I watched it today and it shed some new light on the whole thing. She's a cool person made even cooler that she's dating another "cool friend", Superman's grand dad himself, Cameron Cuffe.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
I am 100% out the loop with the Chloe Dykstra thing, can someone fill me in? I doubt I'll watch the ep either, WHCF isn't really my thing.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I am 100% out the loop with the Chloe Dykstra thing, can someone fill me in? I doubt I'll watch the ep either, WHCF isn't really my thing.
She wrote an essay about being in an emotionally abusive relationship with someone (Chris Hardwick). Since it was a he said/she said type of ordeal, there was a lot of backlash towards her since she couldn't provide evidence (some of which she was/is not allowed to due to ongoing investigations). Chloe just talks through the whole ordeal and how it affected her life and what she learned to handle the criticism and trolls. She initially thought it'd be no big deal as no one would pick up the story as she didn't intend to actually release it as a big #MeToo thing, but it was accidentally published a few days early and spread by friends of hers (which sounds sketch, I know, but you have to hear how she explains it). Hardwick was put on suspension from all his hosting gigs, but has since returned to them as internal investigations found no wrong doing. She doesn't get into that though.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
She wrote an essay about being in an emotionally abusive relationship with someone (Chris Hardwick). Since it was a he said/she said type of ordeal, there was a lot of backlash towards her since she couldn't provide evidence (some of which she was/is not allowed to due to ongoing investigations). Chloe just talks through the whole ordeal and how it affected her life and what she learned to handle the criticism and trolls. She initially thought it'd be no big deal as no one would pick up the story as she didn't intend to actually release it as a big #MeToo thing, but it was accidentally published a few days early and spread by friends of hers (which sounds sketch, I know, but you have to hear how she explains it). Hardwick was put on suspension from all his hosting gigs, but has since returned to them as internal investigations found no wrong doing. She doesn't get into that though.
Thanks for explaining!

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017

I sort of agree with this. I don't listen to KFP regularly but when I do it's pretty jarring how much it drifts between excellence and utter nonsense... like it can be genuinely hilarious one minute, then actually interesting content (like Greg's cancer topic... it's usually Greg's topics to be honest) and then them just talking over each over and having about three conversations at once about whatever shitty film Nick's recently seen. They really need some sort of focus on that show, because when they actually have it, like when Greg brought his topic up, it's a great listen. But then when it's just them rambling it's impossible to listen to.

I've only listened to her on that episode of KFP but I thought Chloe was alright... at least she actually contributed and wasn't completely silent like most of the community people they bring in. Sounds like she's the KF "up and comer" and the other person is KF Games focused which makes sense.

ghornett

Nov 16, 2017
I know you guys don't like her, but once Andrea is gone the gaming side will devolve even more. At least she plays games. I hope they announce someone else sooner rather than later.

I would be fine with dropping gamecast honestly. This week was just reading through a listicle together. Like, lowest possible effort content. & Lmao at FM3 not being able to commit to any kind of opinion on anything.

Oh and who ever said Sacred Symbols cohost is basically Nick is dead on. Dude is just a yes man, I feel like he knows nothing about games and just has controversial opinions for the sake of it.

Last edited:

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
this KFP was fine imo. The one I complained about from a few weeks ago was bad. This didn't have nearly as much visual necessity than that one.

Oct 25, 2017
This Chloe play games? I watched some stuff, and she talks about robots.

But if she doesn't play videogames, then honestly, she would be a bad hire.
Youre hiring someone for only half your business?

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
This Chloe play games? I watched some stuff, and she talks about robots.

But if she doesn't play videogames, then honestly, she would be a bad hire.
Youre hiring someone for only half your business?

I don't know. I was really hoping she'd be on WHCF this week but they put on the wrong fucking Chloe.

All I know is that she referenced that she streamed, so maybe? Also she mentioned a podcast with her, Blessing, and Belinda.... So maybe???

lemonade

May 8, 2018
I know you guys don't like her, but once Andrea is gone the gaming side will devolve even more. At least she plays games. I hope they announce someone else sooner rather than later.

I actually feel like Andrea is a "Call of Duty player". She only play triple A games from major publishers.

Every time I listen to What's good game podcast, I look for Steimer and Britney's gaming opinions because I know they try out different type of games while Andrea is saying how much she wants to play Borderland 3.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can't remember Andrea playing a game that wasn't a AAA game or some GaaS bollocks

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Soooooo Kinda Funny are just keeping Fran around out of obligation, right? He doesn't bring anything unique to the table now that Greg loves GAAS, and he might be the worst podcaster I've ever listened to. I don't think he does it on purpose, but he just doesn't listen or comprehend anything that anybody says. The best example of this was in the latest episode during the 50 questions part:

Tim: "What's the best weapon you've ever used in a video game?"

Fran: "Does it have to be a weapon?"

Better than no games like Tim. I wish they would get someone who played some old games/backlog games once in a while and could push back on the old game is old BS.
I really do like Tim when he dissects and analyses games, but why the fuck does he never play anything? He's the "host" but 90% of the time you could remove him from the podcast and it wouldn't have any effect. Is it really too much to ask to step out of your comfort zone and play something new once per week? From a quick glance at games left to come out this year, it seems Tim will play like 7 games total. Pretty poor when there are ~20 podcasts left for the year.

Does anybody have literally any realistic suggestions for who can be on Gamescast to replace Andrea? Only very specific people are able to come in and fill that role. How many people in SF are knowledgeable about games, but also don't work a full-time job? I honestly couldn't name a single potential replacement. Ideally, they would get Andy to join, but if not him why not Barrett? Dude seems to play a wide variety, articulates well from what I've seen, and he's even replaying the entire Zelda series, which shows that he isn't afraid to go back and play older games.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Fran was right though about that one quesiton being worded badly. "If you had to live in a world from the last game you played" would be much better as "If you could chose to live in a location from the last game you played" .

The question before that I initially thought sounded idiotic because I thought Tim said "could".

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
Soooooo Kinda Funny are just keeping Fran around out of obligation, right? He doesn't bring anything unique to the table now that Greg loves GAAS, and he might be the worst podcaster I've ever listened to. I don't think he does it on purpose, but he just doesn't listen or comprehend anything that anybody says. The best example of this was in the latest episode during the 50 questions part:

Tim: "What's the best weapon you've ever used in a video game?"

Fran: "Does it have to be a weapon?"

I really do like Tim when he dissects and analyses games, but why the fuck does he never play anything? He's the "host" but 90% of the time you could remove him from the podcast and it wouldn't have any effect. Is it really too much to ask to step out of your comfort zone and play something new once per week? From a quick glance at games left to come out this year, it seems Tim will play like 7 games total. Pretty poor when there are ~20 podcasts left for the year.

Does anybody have literally any realistic suggestions for who can be on Gamescast to replace Andrea? Only very specific people are able to come in and fill that role. How many people in SF are knowledgeable about games, but also don't work a full-time job? I honestly couldn't name a single potential replacement. Ideally, they would get Andy to join, but if not him why not Barrett? Dude seems to play a wide variety, articulates well from what I've seen, and he's even replaying the entire Zelda series, which shows that he isn't afraid to go back and play older games.

I really think the problems with Gamescast lie with Greg and Tim and are so systemic that no individual could come in and offer up enough to 'fix' it. The last Gamescast I remember really enjoying was Tim's one-on-one with Michael Huber a year and a half ago.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Soooooo Kinda Funny are just keeping Fran around out of obligation, right? He doesn't bring anything unique to the table now that Greg loves GAAS, and he might be the worst podcaster I've ever listened to. I don't think he does it on purpose, but he just doesn't listen or comprehend anything that anybody says.

Yep, couldn't make it more than 5 minutes into that segment before I got frustrated and gave up... he just didn't seem to understand any of the extremely straightforward questions. I'm disappointed because I was really hyped when Fran joined cos he's one of those old school IGN guys along with Peer and Matt etc. and I thought he'd bring something really interesting. But all he talks about is whatever marginal update has happened to Destiny, Anthem, Division etc. for about 20 minutes, which I skip, and then just interrupts everyone else's topics asking questions they've already answered.

I can't think of anyone else around who they could bring in, unless someone else quits IGN or Gamespot or something. I'd be happy with Barrett to be honest; he seems to play different games to the rest of them, he has podcasting experience from Beyond and every time he's come on he's been interesting.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Popping in to say I fucking love Gary Whitta and Whitta Wednesdays (+ KFAF) is the best content they produce.

Also Fran on last week's Gamecast.... yeah, there was a lot in there that I just zoned out for and/or cringed at.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If you've ever wanted to see how tone-deaf and stubborn against criticism Kinda Funny is, read this comment from Tim in regards to their fucking ear-shattering intro for KFGD: https://www.reddit.com/r/kindafunny/comments/cqpwgv/why_is_the_kfgd_intro_so_damn_loud/ewyrueg/

It's nice to know that Kinda Funny's default response to any criticism is that they're doing nothing wrong and in actual fact, it's the fans who are wrong. It surely couldn't be possible that the dozens of fans who mention the awful intro every episode are actually correct, could it?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
If you've ever wanted to see how tone-deaf and stubborn against criticism Kinda Funny is, read this comment from Tim in regards to their fucking ear-shattering intro for KFGD: https://www.reddit.com/r/kindafunny/comments/cqpwgv/why_is_the_kfgd_intro_so_damn_loud/ewyrueg/

It's nice to know that Kinda Funny's default response to any criticism is that they're doing nothing wrong and in actual fact, it's the fans who are wrong. It surely couldn't be possible that the dozens of fans who mention the awful intro every episode are actually correct, could it?
Meh, they'll have to eventually listen to fans if their patreon numbers keep dropping.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Can't believe they refuse the notion of the intros being loud. I need to lower my TV volume every time during the intro or I might get a noise complaint for shattering the walls.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Dude fuck volume. the intro is just ugly grating badly mixed garbage that sounds like trash at any level. That's probably what people are really hearing. It's been a stain on KFGD ever since it started.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I hope everyone will be able to submit questions to KFGD soon. It's becoming the Pokémon CEO question block lately. It's basically the same people who are asking questions

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I think you'll actually find that your ears are wrong and the KFGD theme is the most beautifully composed piece of music in human history.

593477755098628104.png

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I know, I know, but He Who Shall Not Be Named's latest video about Stadia was an actually interesting watch.

capybara-dive

Nov 1, 2017
Seems the KF Podcast has become more and more visual focused lately. This episode had a decently long segment on a plane or something that just doesn't work as audio only.