• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It was bad enough when Jared had a Red Dead fancast and was literally incapable of giving that game any criticism whatsoever, but this is a whole new level. This also means they're going to have to keep playing the game months after release instead of trying new games. These guys just don't fucking get it, do they?

Last edited:

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
As someone who barely listens anymore, and only KFGD and gamescasts from time to time, this is bad on so many levels.

Instant no listen to anything 2K related. Just like it's a no listen to any EA stuff when Andrea is on

And probably no hardcore Borderlands fan cares about their opinions on the game. I for sure, as a Destiny player, couldn't care less when they talk about it. I guess they will just host it and invite streamers and youtubers

Regardless, make it rain I guess lol.
but at this rate they will need to make a decision about gaming stuff: getting paid from publishers is not a good look for the gaming shows they have.
But then again their hardcore fans, just like any other ''content creator'' hardcore fans, are always willing to support them no matter what so get Activision on board as well, who cares at this point

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely weird to do a sponsored show, but it doesn't have to mean they won't criticize the game. For instance Kyle from EZA works with Geoff Keighly on his award shows, and after each one he'll criticize the show on stream.

Borderlands does suck though.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if they'll just keep any Borderlands talk out of their regular content now that they have a whole show for it. It would certainly be hard to take anything they say about it seriously.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Wonder if they'll just keep any Borderlands talk out of their regular content now that they have a whole show for it. It would certainly be hard to take anything they say about it seriously.

I don't think that will happen. Greg has talked before about how their ethics policy is basically just "we'll tell you about it" so whenever they discuss BL3 they'll probably just mention a disclaimer that they're working with Gearbox on this show.

It's a shame because BL3 does actually look really good and I was looking forward to Greg's review, but everyone's going to take it with a pinch of salt now.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
The more I think about it, the more I find the idea of that Borderlands Show really uncomfortable - it feels like a step way too far to me.

I think most of the KF fanbase has accepted now that Greg's paid hosting gigs are part of their business model and are helping them through a period where their Patreon and Youtube numbers are falling at a steady rate. But at least with those sorts of gigs there's a separation between the content they're paid for and their usual stuff; like the EA E3 thing, Greg could host the show and obviously had to be positive about EA then, but was free to basically trash them on KFGD before and after. Having a paid show be part of their regular content (as presumably promoted as part of their content line-up) feels like a massive step beyond the usual hosting stuff; there's very little separation now between what they're paid to say and what they would say themselves, that it'll be impossible to take them seriously on anything related to the game. They've essentially rendered their opinions on one of the biggest games of the year completely pointless in exchange for creating a monthly hour-long advert for Gearbox. Add on top of that Randy Pitchford's general unpleasantness which just makes the whole thing worse.

But the worst part of it having that episode of We Have Cool Friends with Chloe literally weeks before announcing this. I mean, isn't that a little fucked up? Like I can't think of an explanation that KF could make that would make it okay for them to have Chloe on a show one week and then announce a business partnership involving her abuser the next (I admittedly don't know a whole lot about that whole situation so someone please correct me if I'm off-base on this).

I don't know if anyone from KF reads this thread or has seen the reactions on Reddit, but hopefully it's making them have a rethink about this whole idea.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Tim talks about reading restera/gaf but I don't think I've ever heard him mention the kf community thread. Pretty sure I've heard Greg mention us tho (and of course he has posted in here)

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I dont blame game journalists that speak ill of this place or just ignore it. Not just KF fans this place is very negative in general.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is the most negative OT that I've seen on all of Resetera. Thank god they don't read this thread. It's embarrassing.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
This thread is the most negative OT that I've seen on all of Resetera. Thank god they don't read this thread. It's embarrassing.
There are genuine problems with their content that has seen their Patreon subs decline dramatically in the last year. Should we just ignore that and pretend everything they do is fantastic?

Also, this OT reacted overwhelming positively to Imran joining the KF ranks, so it's not as if we hate everything happening with the group.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Mate, this thread isn't even the most negative thread about Kinda Funny on Resetera. If you want something that just fellates Kinda Funny and worships every piece of content go to the subreddit.

BTW they officially hit an all-time low for Patrons on their Kinda Funny Games account in the last weak of August. They're at 4,401 Patrons as of the 1st. They launched with 4,539 Patrons, which was their previous lowest total. They're also only ~400 Patrons away from hitting an all-time low on regular Kinda Funny. Considering they lost about 200 Patrons in the August-September changeover, they're probably going to hit rock bottom around November. But sure, everything is perfect with Kinda Funny.

Seriously though, this company is earning less money from Patreon than when they had 4 employees and operated out of a spare bedroom. How the hell do they plan on surviving long-term while paying rent for a studio, employing 8 people full-time, contracting 3 part-time hosts, and using a number of contractors for editing and such?

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Mate, this thread isn't even the most negative thread about Kinda Funny on Resetera. If you want something that just fellates Kinda Funny and worships every piece of content go to the subreddit.

BTW they officially hit an all-time low for Patrons on their Kinda Funny Games account in the last weak of August. They're at 4,401 Patrons as of the 1st. They launched with 4,539 Patrons, which was their previous lowest total. They're also only ~400 Patrons away from hitting an all-time low on regular Kinda Funny. Considering they lost about 200 Patrons in the August-September changeover, they're probably going to hit rock bottom around November. But sure, everything is perfect with Kinda Funny.

Seriously though, this company is earning less money from Patreon than when they had 4 employees and operated out of a spare bedroom. How the hell do they plan on surviving long-term while paying rent for a studio, employing 8 people full-time, contracting 3 part-time hosts, and using a number of contractors for editing and such?
They must make a lot of money from other means. It's the only thing that makes sense.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
It says something when this thread has lower traffic and more negative discussions compared to other gaming group personalities OTs.

I feel like nowadays most discussions here on this thread regarding the gaming content of KF is either they take too many hosting jobs or they don't play games or a combination of both.

Called it that Greg would not return to Judgment after that first hour and totally not surprised that Tim made less progress in Fire Emblem compared to other gaming media personalities despite having the review code early. I doubt he even made it to part 2.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
By pushing out an endless stream of content that brings in an ever-increasing amount of advertising revenue, among other things (hosting gigs, working for 2K etc). I have to question how much Patreon even factors into their business at this point.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Another thing with hosting gigs is the lost of identity. I feel like Kinda Funny doesn't need to exist for them to take the hosting gigs. I honestly can't see the difference between Greg from KF or Greg the former IGN host when he is doing one of these shows.

Where does Kinda Funny factor in all of this? How does Kinda Funny relate to Star Wars, Guild Wars 2 or Borderlands 3 in any way?

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It says something when this thread has lower traffic and more negative discussions compared to other gaming group personalities OTs.

I feel like nowadays most discussions here on this thread regarding the gaming content of KF is either they take too many hosting jobs or they don't play games or a combination of both.

Called it that Greg would not return to Judgment after that first hour and totally not surprised that Tim made less progress in Fire Emblem compared to other gaming media personalities despite having the review code early. I doubt he even made it to part 2.
I stumbled into Easy Allies OT the other day and I was blown away at how much larger that thread was. At times it seems like there are about 10 people on all of Era who watch Kinda Funny content.

I'm still waiting for Greg to get back to Away: Journey to the Unexpected (a game that is literally 3 hours long).

By pushing out an endless stream of content that brings in an ever-increasing amount of advertising revenue, among other things (hosting gigs, working for 2K etc). I have to question how much Patreon even factors into their business at this point.
This has to be it. I wouldn't have imagined their sponsorships with places like For Hims would have brought in so much money, but seeing as they seem to be happy to just leak Patrons constantly they must be making bank. I guess everyone should just get used to shit like the Borderlands show, having a 5-minute block of ads on every video, and at least one hosting gig per month now. Might as well just cancel the Patreon altogether if they're going to sell out and become walking advertisements.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I mean it's not hard for this thread to be negative when there's so much to be negative about...

I actually feel like the quality of the gaming-side content has improved a lot lately and with Andrea leaving and Imran joining it'll only get better from here. But it's hard to argue that there's not huge systemic issues with their content (on both channels) that they're struggling with at the moment.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
KF have always wanted to be bigger than they are, and with, for instance, the studio they made huge but great investments that really leapfrogged them in their standing in the industry. But they just never stopped chasing those types of changes and in hindsight I really do think that the Rooster Teeth partnership - while good in certain regards - put them in this position where they're constantly focused on meaningful growth which is just unsustainable in what is ultimately a very short amount of time for a business like their's.

I also believe firmly that the decision to have two Patreons was a really poor one, because they don't have that one source to funnel Patrons into that Easy Allies do. Sure EZA took a year or two longer to get their studio, but they keep growing all the time and have never had to rely on ad revenue or outside sponsorships. 99% of their sponsorships come from Patreon tiers that are limited every month.

Imagine how devastating it could be for KF now if Rooster Teeth just cut ties with them one day, which isn't impossible with how that company seems to be going over the last year or so. I wish it weren't so gloomy in here all the time but it's not looking great and above all else this shit is clearly affecting their content! And there's nowhere else you can have this conversation with KF fans/lapsed fans than this thread.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Not really, I like Imran and I don't like Andrea. I don't think that's a particularly unpopular opinion is it?
Not at all. I'm not afraid to say that I am ecstatic about her leaving and think she brought absolutely nothing positive to KF. Between her and Fran, my interest in their gaming content has never been lower.

I have high hopes Imran with at least help right the ship, but if the hosting gigs are just going to increase, we'll still have to contend with, "Sorry, been busy, just had enough time to drop into The Division for a bit" every week.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like Kinda Funny is between a rock and a hard place right now. They need these hosting gigs to sustain their business, but their business is suffering because of those gigs. And if there were to just stop doing hosting jobs altogether, who knows how long it would take them to really regain the momentum that they had in the past.

ghornett

Nov 16, 2017
I also believe firmly that the decision to have two Patreons was a really poor one

Big time. This has always kept me from subbing to both and by the time they made a tier where you could get both channels content it was too expensive compared to what the quality of content was. I feel like the double dip worked at the beginning for them but not any more.

During today's KFGD two of the games that had stories Andrea had hosted stuff for. Outer Wilds and Avengers. Made for some spicy content. 👀

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Big time. This has always kept me from subbing to both and by the time they made a tier where you could get both channels content it was too expensive compared to what the quality of content was. I feel like the double dip worked at the beginning for them but not any more.

During today's KFGD two of the games that had stories Andrea had hosted stuff for. Outer Wilds and Avengers. Made for some spicy content. 👀
Yes, it did. She was very defensive of Avengers.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Yeah, the Avengers part was hard to listen.

Basically Imran was saying he has doubts and criticism after seeing the E3 demo and Andrea was like "oh you saw the alpha footage and is ready to hate the game? Btw, I was invited by the developer so I know a lot of behind the scenes information and I'm excited for the game. Why do you hate the game?"

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Basically Imran was saying he has doubts and criticism after seeing the E3 demo and Andrea was like "oh you saw the alpha footage and is ready to hate the game? Btw, I was invited by the developer so I know a lot of behind the scenes information and I'm excited for the game. Why do you hate the game?"

God forbid someone who actually played the game respond to someone who didn't play the game but thought it looked bad.

Your quote of her is not remotely the tone of how she spoke. Very dishonest way to discredit her comments on the game.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think a lot of y'all just hate Andrea because you're holding onto a grudge from one specific moment. She can be a little over the top with her arguments sometimes, but you guys nitpick every single thing she says. The rest of the hosts say dumber shit or make more baffling arguments all the time and everyone just lets it slide for the most part. The only reason I'm happy to see her go is that it means there's one less GAAS person on the show.

Does anyone else think the biggest issue with the Gamescast is that Tim doesn't play any games? I honestly think it's unacceptable that he just refuses to play anything unless it's a big Switch release. If something Nintendo related hasn't come out he might as well not even be on the show because all he does as "host" is ask "What have you been playing Greg/Andrea/Fran?". If he actually played something all the talk about Destiny and Division wouldn't seem as dominant.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Sauce Marlow ive also been disappointed with Tim hosting the gamescast compared to other podcast hosts that really dive in and are part of the conversation. Feels like everyone just goes on an uninterrupted monologue and then pass the talking stick to someone else.

But it's been that way since day one. Still shocks me that he hosted a gaming podcast with the two biggest Playstation personalities and it took him 10 months after hosting it to try an Uncharted game.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
God forbid someone who actually played the game respond to someone who didn't play the game but thought it looked bad.

Your quote of her is not remotely the tone of how she spoke. Very dishonest way to discredit her comments on the game.

What? Go to 29:39 of the video where she says Imran just looked at pre alpha gameplay and says "fuck you this looks bad".

Imran also brought up that the characters model looked mediocre and having good looking skins that cost money is concerning. Then Andrea quickly defended with "well all games does it, look at Overwatch, MK, Street Fighter". However, all these games she mentioned have good looking base models and some of them are free to play whereas Avengers' base model is boring and budget looking.

I know Andrea is friend with developers and get to play the game when others can't. That doesn't mean all of Imran's criticism are invalid. Andrea was arguing every single concern of Imran's, often with a dismissive tone.

We all remember Andrea defending Anthem and where is Anthem now? She being high on a game has little to no credibility to me. When was the last time she expressed doubt and concern for a upcoming AAA title that's from a major publisher?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
What? Go to 29:39 of the video where she says Imran just looked at pre alpha gameplay and says "fuck you this looks bad".

That was clearly light hearted ribbing at Imran for being overly negative toward the original reveal -- which was shared in the gaming community. The reaction to Avengers was ridiculously toxic and overly negative. But she wasn't talking down to him. She was responding to his very blatant negativity toward the game in a joking fashion.

And I find it interesting that we drill into every word that Andrea says, right down to the tone of how she is saying it, but ignore Imran questioning the manpower Square Enix was putting toward the game because he didn't like the look of the characters -- which is a ridiculous comment as we all know the staff for this game is massive. It was ignorant to even suggest it and that comment should be dismissed. It's dumb.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
I don't see the "blatant negativity" from Imran.

If Andrea did not literally dismiss every single one of the concerns Imran brought up and have a history of being dismissive towards different opinions on Games Daily and Gamescast, I would have taken her opinion more seriously.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Sauce Marlow ive also been disappointed with Tim hosting the gamescast compared to other podcast hosts that really dive in and are part of the conversation. Feels like everyone just goes on an uninterrupted monologue and then pass the talking stick to someone else.

But it's been that way since day one. Still shocks me that he hosted a gaming podcast with the two biggest Playstation personalities and it took him 10 months after hosting it to try an Uncharted game.
It counts as the bare minimum of hosting. He almost never chimes in with questions about the game being talked about. He's so quiet that there are often episodes where I forget he's part of the show until he segues into the ads. Tim could be removed as a permanent seat on Gamescast and quite literally nothing would be lost, which is not something that should be able to be said about the actual host of a show. There are so many interesting games coming out every week, so is it really that much of an ask for him to play something for one or two hours? I'll be genuinely blown away if he plays anything other than Daemon X Machina (for like 3 hours probably), Link's Awakening, Mario Kart Tour, maybe MediEvil, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Pokemon Sword/Shield (which he's definitely going shit on because it's not the Pokemon games from his childhood). He'll play Death Stranding for a few hours and say it's not for him. Playing maybe six games for the next 4 months isn't good enough.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019

Yep thank god she'll be gone soon and hopefully her future appearances are rare. Her whole attitude during the Avengers part was so annoying and so what we've seen from her many other times. Imran just talked about his concerns and he was treated like he is just hating on the game. I about turned it off when he said he wants to like it and Andrea was all like do you really b/c it sounds like you just want to shit on it. God forbid someone tell the truth about a game Andrea and not suck up to the developers like she always does. If that game comes out and gets 5 and 6/10's she'll still be defending it just like she did Anthem.

What's even worse is the story later where they talk about EA Access where Andrea acted like EA gave it to Xbox exclusively. Imran corrected her on saying that Sony told them they didn't want EA Access and she was just all like "Oh you believed that Imran." Like hell yeah he believed it just like the rest of us. Sony wouldn't come out and say "We don't think it offers good value to our players" if they weren't the ones deciding not to have it on their platform. She acts like she knows everything and anyone with a different opinion is wrong.

Last edited:

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
This Avengers segment... is exactly why I'm so pumped to have Imran on KF. He calls things like they are.

Wait, it just got WORSE!? She's now directly calling him out for his stance on the game? This is awkward.

Last edited:

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
This Avengers segment... is exactly why I'm so pumped to have Imran on KF. He calls things like they are.

Wait, it just got WORSE!? She's now directly calling him out for his stance on the game? This is awkward.
Same reason I'm glad he's on. I vastly prefer his opinions over someone like Andrea who is always defending every single half baked game out there.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Decided to download that KFGD episode after seeing everyone here talk about it. I'm still only part of the way through but my overwhelming feeling is embarrassment for Andrea.

I can't believe how petty she gets when her opinion on something is challenged; she basically started going after Imran for having the audacity to not be excited about a video game. I'm glad Imran stuck to his guns and Barrett even backed him up.

Does anyone else think the biggest issue with the Gamescast is that Tim doesn't play any games? I honestly think it's unacceptable that he just refuses to play anything unless it's a big Switch release. If something Nintendo related hasn't come out he might as well not even be on the show because all he does as "host" is ask "What have you been playing Greg/Andrea/Fran?". If he actually played something all the talk about Destiny and Division wouldn't seem as dominant.

Yeah I've felt like this for a while too... and it's even Nintendo games now too. It sounds like he's played less than half of the two big Nintendo releases from the last two months and hasn't really offered an opinion on anything else either.

The last game I remember him doing a proper review for is probably Yoshi back in March. It kinda sucks because he's the only guy who's likely to play any Nintendo games outside of Mario and Zelda so it just means they've got really had any coverage of Nintendo lately.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Decided to download that KFGD episode after seeing everyone here talk about it. I'm still only part of the way through but my overwhelming feeling is embarrassment for Andrea.

I can't believe how petty she gets when her opinion on something is challenged; she basically started going after Imran for having the audacity to not be excited about a video game. I'm glad Imran stuck to his guns and Barrett even backed him up.
And yet when it comes to something she doesn't like, she utterly refuses to accept that someone could like something she doesn't (i.e. BOTW is a 97 because of nostalgia, Outer Wilds can't potential GOTY contender because 'lol indies' etc).

Don't let the door hit you on the way out ma'am.