• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
That unpopular opinions thread on the Reddit was eye-opening. Nice to see what people actually think about Kinda Funny 4.0 over there, and was interesting to see that a lot of people seem to be getting tired of KF/AF already. I thought that show was just universally loved so it came as a surprise to me.

Yea this was pure cringe. Also Tim and Andrea saying Jared has bad taste... I would argue their tastes are worse compared but that's just me.
Tim hating on the jingle is bullshit.
Tim has quite literally the worst taste in video games out of anyone in the video game industry that I follow. His taste is literally just Nintendo exclusives. Even saying that is giving him too much credit because when it comes to things like Fire Emblem and Astral Chain he ends up just giving them a cursory look. His taste can honestly be boiled down to games that feature Mario in them, with some rare exceptions.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Tim always been the worst in KF.

Im sorry, but he is such a boring person and a stereotype of what people view millennials as. He's a Nintendo/Disney fan boy and I could get his exact opinion on Twitter by countless people. I don't even need to read or hear him talk to know what he is going to say on a subject.

Maybe it's too far or mean to say but he has no personality of his own. People like him just seem to attach themselves to things that are popular in lieu of being an individual because it's easier to fit in.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I have my issues with Tim, but I don't know if him being a Nintendo fanboy is really an issue, especially when I've seen people in here complaining about Greg moving away from being a Sony fanboy.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Im sorry, but he is such a boring person and a stereotype of what people view millennials as. He's a Nintendo/Disney fan boy and I could get his exact opinion on Twitter by countless people. I don't even need to read or hear him talk to know what he is going to say on a subject.

Maybe it's too far or mean to say but he has no personality of his own. People like him just seem to attach themselves to things that are popular in lieu of being an individual because it's easier to fit in.
I think Tim is actually really fucking good at analysing games, it's just a shame he has basic af taste and refuses to get out of his comfort zone ever.

I also heavily agree with the last sentence. Tim has always struck me as that kid you knew in school that just jumped from fad to fad, and IMO this gives him a very shallow knowledge of a lot of topics, but for some reason he always presents himself as an expert. Pokemon, hip hop, Disney, WWE and YouTube are just some of the topics I can think of off the top of my head where he likes to act the expert when they come up, but if you're actually a fan of those things you quickly realise he's largely uninformed.

This is all pretty unimportant though, except for the YouTube stuff. I think the KF crew actually believe he's some sort of YouTube savant when in reality their channels are floundering spectacularly. Just because you made a couple of viral videos in YouTube's infancy does not mean you're some sort of guru.

I have my issues with Tim, but I don't know if him being a Nintendo fanboy is really an issue, especially when I've seen people in here complaining about Greg moving away from being a Sony fanboy.
It's a problem when it means Nintendo games are all he plays. Greg has obviously always been way up Sony's ass, but that didn't mean the only thing he played was PlayStation exclusives. I really don't know how the host of a weekly gaming podcast only playing like 5 games to completion per year isn't an issue.

Last edited:

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017

This is why I like Tim as a part of the group. He's this type of guy that people imo unfairly just generalize in such a way and bash on. But he's a good dude, and it's him being unabashedly him, not changing because many internet type of people have a particulaly negative view of the box they see him falling into. He just owns it. I like having his "trope" in the mix of all these other guys.

And personally for me, what actual discussion substance he brings to KF speaks for itself. Though I do agree with the complaints that he's part of an issue specifically on gaming side for not playing enough games. But I think he's generally good at discussing the industry and has very good commentary and brings good perspective to the news, as well as the games he does play.

Last edited:

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
It's a problem when it means Nintendo games are all he plays. Greg has obviously always been way up Sony's ass, but that didn't mean the only thing he played was PlayStation exclusives. I really don't know how the host of a weekly gaming podcast only playing like 5 games to completion per year isn't an issue.
Oh, I completely agree with that, I just don't think him leaning heavily into Nintendo is an issue. In fact, with the insane Switch release schedule right now, it would be brilliant to see a lot of coverage for games like Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina, Dragon Quest XI S etc from KF's resident Nintendo boy, but sadly that won't happen as they aren't Mario or Zelda games. I have my doubts he'll even play Luigi's Mansion 3.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Oh, I completely agree with that, I just don't think him leaning heavily into Nintendo is an issue. In fact, with the insane Switch release schedule right now, it would be brilliant to see a lot of coverage for games like Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina, Dragon Quest XI S etc from KF's resident Nintendo boy, but sadly that won't happen as they aren't Mario or Zelda games. I have my doubts he'll even play Luigi's Mansion 3.
I'd go as far to say that I like that Kinda Funny actually have fanboys on the team. Greg has definitely become less of a Sony guy recently but a line up featuring Greg (Sony), Tim (Nintendo), Fran (PC), and somebody else who's a huge Microsoft fan would be a super interesting dynamic IMO.

I think he'll finish Luigi's Mansion if it's on the shorter side. If it goes north of 10 hours he'll probably drop it. The only games I see him actually finishing for the rest of the year are Link's Awakening, MediEvil, and Jedi: Fallen Order. He'll drop Death Stranding like 5 hours into it. But we'll definitely get an in-depth review of Ori and the Blind Forest when that rereleases on the Switch because that's what everyone's clamouring for.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Yes Sauce Marlow this is quite an interesting thread, but reminder that reddit isn't nearly as non critical as this thread (and the discord) play them up as 😛

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yes Sauce Marlow this is quite an interesting thread, but reminder that reddit isn't nearly as non critical as this thread (and the discord) play them up as 😛
I get the feeling that the general hivemind of the sub is swinging. There have basically been daily posts criticising them recently.

In other news, got done listening to this week's Gamescast. How fucking refreshing was it to hear a wide variety of different games discussed?

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I fear Greg's popularity is a both a good and a bad thing. He has to do those conventions, meetings and hosting gigs to make sure KF survives.

The downside however is that a day has 24 hours and Greg probably doesn't have as much time to play games. Greg is extremely important for the KF shows and a tired Greg who hasn't played games really impacts the quality of their content.

KF unfortunately doesn't have a second Greg. Tim is also busy and Gary is only on Wednesday.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I feel Fran could be that second Greg if he played more games, but I also understand that KF is a part-time thing for him and he still has to maintain his streaming audience.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I get the feeling that the general hivemind of the sub is swinging. There have basically been daily posts criticising them recently.

In other news, got done listening to this week's Gamescast. How fucking refreshing was it to hear a wide variety of different games discussed?

Idk even for a while, though it definitely has increased. I think reddit certainly have by far the largest contingent of people who are positive (and even with my gripes, I feel I personally fit closer to that mindset than the more negative ones), but complaint threads popped up at least semi regularly.

Personally I think it's a good thing that they have that contingent who is real positive. I feel like they deserve it simply for just being good guys on the internet tbh. Not to mention counteracting the polar opposite response from Colin stans.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Comment from one Gregory James Miller about The Borderlands Show:
Hey--

Sorry for not responding earlier. Busy night followed by Apple Day, ya dig? First time at a keyboard in a long time.

So I think there are multiple layers/hats to this one, so stick with me...

FOR GAMERS

Frankly, everyone interested in BL3 should be concerned about this. Maybe not the practice as a whole (I had to play on debug builds for IGN reviews before) but the implications. Hopefully, I boot up the PS4 retail code I just got and everything's groovy, but lots of times PR only sends one type of code out because it's better than the other versions. Are Xbox One and PS4 just not as good? Were they just not ready?

The fact that, as Jason reports, 2K messaged the Epic build as a work in progress makes me less inclined to believe that Xbox/PS4 are fucked and more inclined to believe that the game is just coming in hot, but that's not great, either? As someone who wants to play on PS4, I wish reviews of the PS4 were in.

I also wonder with the Epic Games Store exclusivity/AMD partnerships if there was a contract clause that review builds had to be PC so as to get as many people talking about that version as possible. Dunno, though.

FOR KINDA FUNNY

Oddly, I haven't been on a lot of Kinda Funny Games shows lately (PAX, GI takeover, Andrea's last week, etc.) to really field questions/talk about the Borderlands Show so I realize y'all are shooting blind on what this show is.

TLDR: No, KF shouldn't be concerned about this. The No. 1 thing we made sure of in this deal is that we're still us. They don't own us or our thoughts. At E3, they found that their "people talking about Borderlands 3" content outperformed the polished and fancy stuff, so they came to people who make dope podcasts.

We can say whatever the fuck we want.

If the PS4 version is shit, oh boy, is Paul Sage gonna have some explaining to do to me next week. Kinda Funny trades in authenticity. I would never sell that to a company/game/etc. If the PS4 version is hurtin' and I -- Greg FUCKING Miller -- didn't say something about it? Fuck, dude, we'd be over.

I know you know this, but I also understand that you need to hear it.

This is different, we've never done it before, and you've never seen it before. I think once the show is out there, everyone's gonna be like "Oh, it's Kinda Funny Games Daily mashed-up with Up at Noon interviews and all about Borderlands," but as always, I'm down to talk about it.

Although I probably won't be on Reddit much tonight as I FINALLY get to play.

<3

Greg

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I get what Greg is saying here, and I don't really have a problem with it, but I think he needs to expand his thinking beyond "Oh, people think if Gearbox is paying us that I will lie and say the game is good even if I don't think it is." Greg is forfeiting some legitimacy as a game critic because, whether he admits it or not, doing this show and agreeing to this partnership with Gearbox is going to affect his experience with the game. Ultimately, that's fine, and I don't think Greg even needs to swear up and down to his audience that he will be honest because it's just his opinion about a video game and I don't think KF is even trying to sell that as their "thing."

For me, I keep coming back to what we know about Randy Pitchford. A lot of gaming press chooses to occupy a space as an info delivery system between game creators and game consumers. When I think about the press outside of gaming, I think about it as an inherently political act. In this industry, however, I think we discard that in favor of a line of logic that contends that our gaming news can exist completely outside of politics. But, as we are all aware, politics is not something that can simply be discarded; it pervades everything we do and ignoring it is simply an act of privilege and a choice that is, inherently, politically motivated in favor of those in power.

During the big Borderlands launch party, Greg was extremely chummy with Pitchford. They spoke a lot and I don't think he thought for a second about using his access to pursue that kind of story. Sure, that wasn't the right time or place, but I'd like to think that people more concerned with ethics in their journalism maybe just wouldn't have taken the job if they couldn't ask those questions and press those topics. I'm sure Randy will show up in more content with Greg, and I'm willing to bet KF won't ever pursue that story.

So, no, I don't think Greg's opinion of the game will be affected by "the borderlands show," or whatever partnership KF has with Gearbox and even if it kinda is, it's not that big of a deal. At the same time, I think it's entirely reasonable to call into question his ethics as a journalist being affected by taking this job because, if you ask me, it already has.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Given that there is someone who has recently said that he likes to "pretend The Last Jedi doesn't exist" and didn't know that Dreamcast was the final Sega console, that's clearly false.

Im sorry, but he is such a boring person and a stereotype of what people view millennials as.

This makes absolutely no sense and means nothing.

He's a Nintendo/Disney fan boy and I could get his exact opinion on Twitter by countless people.

"I don't want to hear his opinion so he's a millennial stereotype.'

Right.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Given that there is someone who has recently said that he likes to "pretend The Last Jedi doesn't exist" and didn't know that Dreamcast was the final Sega console, that's clearly false.

This makes absolutely no sense and means nothing.

"I don't want to hear his opinion so he's a millennial stereotype.'

Right.
I'm sorry that you cant make sense of something so easy to make sense of.

He's a trend hopping parrot with zero personality of his own. I don't need to know his opinion because I can tell you what it is before he even says it.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I don't really have much of an issue with Tim. He plays into his whole "hype" thing sometimes but it's usually fine if it's balanced by other people in the group, and sometimes it's great if it's something that's genuinely worth getting hyped about, like when he was going nuts over the Grinch leak last year.

The only thing that annoys me sometimes is he's one of those people who enjoys being a fan of things more than the things themselves, for example he gets super excited about Nintendo Directs but then rarely seems to play any of the games that come out of them (to be fair that's probably true of most people on Resetera too...). It's fine if you go in knowing what to expect; interesting insight into current industry events but not much in terms of actual reviews of games.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
I like Tim. As I've said before, I don't really watch the games content anymore, so my only exposure to him is on the podcast or KF/AF if he's on it. He's a nice and pretty funny dude when he wants to be.

Not sure who mentioned the fanboyism being a problem, but I'd certainly mention Kevin and his bullshit dogpiling and cat-calling whenever one of the hosts makes a criticism of - for instance - Xbox. He does it all the fucking time, and always has. On games content and otherwise.

Interesting that others are also getting bored of KF/AF. I mean they had to literally start asking for ideas from patrons just a few months into the show. And the format (and most of the jokes!) hasn't changed in 9 months.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Interesting that others are also getting bored of KF/AF. I mean they had to literally start asking for ideas from patrons just a few months into the show. And the format (and most of the jokes!) hasn't changed in 9 months.

I dropped out of KF/AF fairly early on when I realised it'd sunk into the same pattern every episode...

Board game segment (which got old fast),
Photoshop challenge (which is funny but goes on twice as long as it needs to)
Some sort of ranking of food (typical Youtube content but is also way too long)
Ask Andy Anything (which is just them improving comedy responses)

The best bits were always the pre-recorded skits, they should have just turned them into individual videos to be honest.

ghornett

Nov 16, 2017
Damn. Let Tim roast.

You guys nailed it. TBF to him when he goes in on stuff that he's passionate about, it's fantastic. The episode where he breaks down the grinch smash theory was hilarious. I have a true love hate with Tim. Sometimes the dude makes me crack up, other times melt into a puddle of cringe.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I like Tim a lot and have for a long time. When he actually discusses something he's been playing, he's arguably Kinda Funny's best. He's also one of the nicest people I've ever met in my life and I'll never forget the time he roasted my friend for picking Bulbasaur over Charmander and Squirtle (been to two meet and greets over the years).

My only complaints are him not playing enough games to warrant hosting a video game podcast and how artificial the whole "hype!" persona can feel. Kinda Funny has always been best when the crew is just being themselves giving honest thoughts and opinions and having relatable, candid conversations. The content quality took a dive when they decided to go full "YouTube!!" with everything: Constant reacts, awful thumbnails, avoiding confrontation, plugging the paid content all the time, etc.

Last edited:

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
As one of the only three people in this thread that liked Andrea Rene and agreed with her more often than most, I will miss her and wish her luck in future endeavors, What's Good and whatever else

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As one of the only three people in this thread that liked Andrea Rene and agreed with her more often than most, I will miss her and wish her luck in future endeavors, What's Good and whatever else

I enjoyed Andrea a lot. She will be missed, but I'll continue to tune into What's Good Games for her content.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Quite likely, but I really hope he sticks around at KF for a good while. I'm certain he'll at least help push their content in the direction we've been wanting for ages now.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I love Tim. I love his hype. Sometimes he is so enthusiastic, love it.

BTW todays show was nice. Got very emotional
I like Tim as well and he is for sure not just a Nintendo fanboy. He has been very critical of them quite often.

Loved the episode with Imran, Suriel and Javy. Would love if they ended up at KF as well. If they don't i hope they find some new jobs fast.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I just watched the KFGD from yesterday and it once again points out one of the things that kind of drives me crazy about the KF team. How is it that people like Greg and Andrea work in this industry yet are so clueless about things. That reader wrote in with incorrect information about the Control Alan Wake DLC being timed exclusive to PS4 which neither one of them knew was false. Not only that but then they spend a minute or so trying to find out if Control's expansions were free or paid. All you have to do to find that answer is google "Control Season Pass" or "Control Paid DLC" and you get your answer. It just seems like you should be better informed or not struggle to find things out like they do.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I just watched the KFGD from yesterday and it once again points out one of the things that kind of drives me crazy about the KF team. How is it that people like Greg and Andrea work in this industry yet are so clueless about things. That reader wrote in with incorrect information about the Control Alan Wake DLC being timed exclusive to PS4 which neither one of them knew was false. Not only that but then they spend a minute or so trying to find out if Control's expansions were free or paid. All you have to do to find that answer is google "Control Season Pass" or "Control Paid DLC" and you get your answer. It just seems like you should be better informed or not struggle to find things out like they do.

I don't think it's possible for people in the industry to know everything, even things that you think they should know.

The same thing happens over at EZA sometimes. Even if you're in the industry, you can't know every single marketing deal.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I don't think it's possible for people in the industry to know everything, even things that you think they should know.

The same thing happens over at EZA sometimes. Even if you're in the industry, you can't know every single marketing deal.
Well like I said they always have their computers opened right in front of them and googling some simple words will give them an answer. Instead they spend time trying to go to IGN or something struggling to find the correct information.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that the whole point of You're Wrong? I actually wish more places would use similar things. It wouldn't hurt KF to expand its use as well, as Gamecast in particular would benefit from You're Wrong.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Isn't that the whole point of You're Wrong? I actually wish more places would use similar things. It wouldn't hurt KF to expand its use as well, as Gamecast in particular would benefit from You're Wrong.
This is exactly how You're Wrong is supposed to be used, but it's locked behind Patreon along with the questions, isn't it? Kinda defeats the purpose when only a very small segment of the audience can send in a correction.

Yasamuu

Oct 28, 2017
Have always felt that while 'You're Wrong' is a handy feature, it does encourage a more lax approach to facts and knowledge. If you're unsure about something you don't need to go learn/research the answer before the show - you can fall back on that crutch. The positives probably outweigh the negatives, though.

I've completely fallen off the KF bandwagon since I came home from summer holiday in August. Rarely listen to Games Daily and don't really feel like I'm missing much. Which is a real shame. The Game Informer Gamescast was the first I've listened to in months. I think when you listen to something on a daily basis maybe you're prone to this kind of burn out eventually? I think some of the flaws brought up in this thread certainly have merit but I've generally always been happy listening to Games Daily, regardless of the quality of Gamescast. Maybe just reached a point where I need to take a break from the content. Shows like 'We have cool friends' are largely uninteresting to me. It obviously depends on who's being interviewed, but I'm not really fussed - which is fine! I'm sure there's thousands of others who do find it interesting.

Where else do people go for their Games podcasts? I've listened to Splitscreen from the start and IGN UK Podcast.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Have always felt that while 'You're Wrong' is a handy feature, it does encourage a more lax approach to facts and knowledge. If you're unsure about something you don't need to go learn/research the answer before the show - you can fall back on that crutch. The positives probably outweigh the negatives, though.

I've completely fallen off the KF bandwagon since I came home from summer holiday in August. Rarely listen to Games Daily and don't really feel like I'm missing much. Which is a real shame. The Game Informer Gamescast was the first I've listened to in months. I think when you listen to something on a daily basis maybe you're prone to this kind of burn out eventually? I think some of the flaws brought up in this thread certainly have merit but I've generally always been happy listening to Games Daily, regardless of the quality of Gamescast. Maybe just reached a point where I need to take a break from the content. Shows like 'We have cool friends' are largely uninteresting to me. It obviously depends on who's being interviewed, but I'm not really fussed - which is fine! I'm sure there's thousands of others who do find it interesting.

Where else do people go for their Games podcasts? I've listened to Splitscreen from the start and IGN UK Podcast.
Retronauts is good, though obviously that's almost entirely retro games. GameInformer is pretty good too, granted I haven't listened to them since the layoffs but I think they still have the same charm.

Bloodarmz

Jul 11, 2018

Yeah, I last watched regularly in the middle of May, and I realised I wasn't getting much value out of the content (only was interested in GFGD and Gamecasts). I decided to cut down by only checking out episodes with Gary on, but in actuality I dropped everything, and I didn't even check their E3 coverage. I've actually watched two episodes this week, the GI Gamescast and Andrea's last appearance. I think I dropped What's Good Games at the same time.

Regarding other podcasts I listen to, I'm into the IGN stuff (NVC and Game Scoop are their best) including the UK podcast, and also Waypoint Radio (usually 2 hours long, two episodes a week). Gamespot recently started their podcast again, this time called Gamespot After Dark (6th episode out today I believe). I've been meaning to check out Splitscreen since it was recommended here some while back but I keep on forgetting.

Apr 24, 2019

I listen to the GI show, Waypoint Radio, Filthy Casuals, and Splitscreen.

Just started the GI show recently but man, I'm so impressed by Ben Hanson's hosting skills. Lets segments breathe when it seems like there is value there, but otherwise keeps the show rolling at an impressive pace that doesn't leave anything feeling rushed. It was a big shame when those layoffs hit, a lot of those 7 people seemed to be regulars on the GI show.

Waypoint is probably my favorite podcast content that I consume, personally, but they are definitely not for everyone.

Filthy Casuals is 3 Australian comedians, and I get the best laughs of my week from them normally.

And Splitscreen is the only way to get Kirk Hamilton talks about games content, so I'm always here for that.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I listen To Funhaus's Dude Soup which is rarely actually about games but is a great podcast from an obstensibly gaming channel.

ghornett

Nov 16, 2017
For Splitscreen, Kirk and Maddy can be pretty annoying but it's worth it for Jason. They all play different games, which is nice.

Last edited: