• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
14g94s.jpg

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Is it really such a crime to be interested in something but never get around to playing/watching it? I do that all the time.

Are you all implying that you don't have a list of shows, games, books, whatever that you've been meaning to get round to?

lemonade

May 8, 2018
I don't get the Judgment comment because didn't he review several Yakuza games at IGN? He's pretty familiar with the series...

He reviewed 3 and 4 probably because no one else at IGN would review them.

I wouldn't call that familiar considering that they are probably the "oldest" game in the series now due to prequel and remakes.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
?

After the dub was announced on their showcase, he talked about how a dub is great because he doesn't need to read subtitles on various shows but proceed to drop the game after playing one chapter.

I certainly wouldn't call Greg "pretty familiar" with the series considering he still pronounce the title incorrectly and as I said, played 3 and 4 which are the older games in the series.

The main criticism is still they don't play games. Just look at the past couple years, how many games have they completed that isn't a triple A western game? This has made their GOTY show so lackluster compared to other gaming podcasts.

I will bet if Persona 5 ever comes to Switch, Greg still would not finish it.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I don't disagree with the point that they don't play enough games but I feel like it's gotten a lot better lately, particularly by Greg. His analysis over the last couple of months has been great; and having Imran now will help thing too. It sounds like he has very different tastes to the others. And again I go back to my point earlier; we all have backlogs of stuff we said we'd get to and never did. I have games from like two years ago that I want to play but never have the time.

The only issue I have on this is with Tim, who literally doesn't seem to play anything anymore.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
He reviewed 3 and 4 probably because no one else at IGN would review them.

I wouldn't call that familiar considering that they are probably the "oldest" game in the series now due to prequel and remakes.

I think Greg needs to play a larger variety of games too but this particular example just seems a bit unfair to me.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
we all have backlogs of stuff we said we'd get to and never did.

That's not a good comparison because the majority business of Kinda Funny is supposed to be about video games.

However, nowadays it's more like meet and greet and hosting shows for big publishers.

They are so far behind in terms of actual video game impression/review discussion when compared to other gaming podcasts.

Kinda Funny's discussions are normally first week played a couple hours and talk about it on Gamescast. The next week reports back saying they have been busy so did not make much progress. Then the third week it would be that they dropped the game because there are too many games coming out.

I think Greg needs to play a larger variety of games too but this particular example just seems a bit unfair to me.

Just using it as an example. I wouldn't care as much if Greg actually plays a variety of games and finish them. I could easily make the same argument using Witcher 3, Persona 5, Nier, Hollow Knight etc.

Prediction: Neither Tim or Greg will make it half way through Cyberpunk 2077 despite talking about it and hyping it on various shows.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
After this week, I think Imran is a perfect fit for KF. The episode with Gary was awesome
It really was, glad he's on the crew.

In other news, I was pleasantly surprised by all the love for Gears 5 from Tim. It's a great game so well deserved, but I honestly didn't know if anyone in the KF crew was even going to talk about it.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
He was pretty good yesterday. And for someone like him to have a week this good in terms of content and discussion could literally make his audience grow by a bunch. He's making great use of the platform, I'm looking forward to the State of Play discussion, the episode with Xavier I'm sure is going to be a riot too

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
KF needs to hire this Blessing guy like yesterday. I've never heard someone fit into their style so quickly, even people like Fran and Imran struggled at first.

They're clearly in need of another full-timer to be on camera on their games side and, if they're not going to give Barrett the opportunity, Blessing fits the bill so well.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Blessing is the real deal. I said in the chat that he's just naturally comfortable on the mic and in front of the camera. Imagine him after a few weeks of constant on air time with the crew and he could be one of the best.

ghornett

Nov 16, 2017
Definitely helps watching years of episodes. I find myself talking along with the rigamarole so it's gotta be cake for him, and it shows.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
I thought KF/AF was going to be their creativity outlet. See if you can guess the rundown for today's show:

Battleship, Photoshop, Ads, Dorito rankings, Ask Andy Anything

I mean come on guys, this was a fresh and exciting show just 6 months ago.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I started to feel it mad early when I realized the Photoshop challenge would literally be an every episode thing, and when they started playing a new game right after connect 4. And Ask Andy Anything has always been a nothing as hell segment

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Also, that episode is titled "Best Dorito Flavour Rankings" which is obviously to try and get in new viewers (because people/algorithms love ranking stuff) but then is anyone going to stick around when they realise it's actually an hour long show and the ranking bit isn't until like 40 minutes in?

I mentioned this not long ago but they should just break out the skits from KF/AF and let them be their own thing. Stuff like spending the vouchers in that early episode, and the Greg Oreo prank were great, but I have no interest in watching an hour long show for maybe 10 minutes worth of funny. If it's supposed to be a vehicle for Nick and Andy to be funny and goofy just let them do that outside of the bounds of having to put on a weekly, hour-long show. Of course that wouldn't adhere to The ScheduleTM then so it'll never happen.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
This sounds weird but my main problem with KFAF is still just how much I lose from simply listening to it. If I were getting that same, albeit repetitive quality, but I could get all of it by listening, that would be a ok for me. No matter how good a vid is it's hard for me actually sit down and WATCH something. Let alone something so worn out.

This is why morning show is still honestly goat

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I thought KF/AF was going to be their creativity outlet. See if you can guess the rundown for today's show:

Battleship, Photoshop, Ads, Dorito rankings, Ask Andy Anything

I mean come on guys, this was a fresh and exciting show just 6 months ago.
Kinda Funny and running a good idea into the ground - name a better duo.
Also, that episode is titled "Best Dorito Flavour Rankings" which is obviously to try and get in new viewers (because people/algorithms love ranking stuff) but then is anyone going to stick around when they realise it's actually an hour long show and the ranking bit isn't until like 40 minutes in?

I mentioned this not long ago but they should just break out the skits from KF/AF and let them be their own thing. Stuff like spending the vouchers in that early episode, and the Greg Oreo prank were great, but I have no interest in watching an hour long show for maybe 10 minutes worth of funny. If it's supposed to be a vehicle for Nick and Andy to be funny and goofy just let them do that outside of the bounds of having to put on a weekly, hour-long show. Of course that wouldn't adhere to The ScheduleTM then so it'll never happen.
This kind of thing shows that they fundamentally don't understand YouTube. People get mad at YouTube videos that take four or five minutes to get to the topic mentioned in the title, so I can only imagine the number of people that click off when they see that they don't touch on the video's topic for almost an hour. It's like they want to grow their YouTube audience, but at the same time have no interest in it. They'll make awfully clickbaity titles and thumbnails, but then the content they make is the complete opposite. It's all good and well to have someone click on your content, but if they immediately bounce you're never going to grow an audience.

Considering their Patreons are both the lowest they've been in company history, they desperately need to grow their audience, like, yesterday.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Thier content is long form regardless of their thumbnails. Would not having those thumbnails help them? Because as I see it, yeah a lot of people are gonna bounce at the length, but that would happen regardless.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Thier content is long form regardless of their thumbnails. Would not having those thumbnails help them? Because as I see it, yeah a lot of people are gonna bounce at the length, but that would happen regardless.
Eh I suppose you're right. I just think people clicking on KF/AF would be expecting a more typical YouTube video that gets to the point, when in reality it's just yet another Kinda Funny podcast where they have to run through scheduled segments. Imagine if Oreo Oration was an hour long and Greg didn't actually review the Oreo mentioned in the title until the 40-minute mark.

I don't know why they don't do more short-form content though. IMO stuff like KF/AF and Internet Explorerz should be 30 minutes maximum and designed as a gateway into Kinda Funny. If I was trying to get into Kinda Funny in 2019 I would be overwhelmed when they're basically releasing 10+ hour-long podcasts per week. Oreo Oration, A Conversation With Colin, and even Gregway were the perfect shows to dip your toes into when Kinda Funny was first founded.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Does anyone here keep up with Rooster Teeth proper? Just wondering what people think about the issues they've been having and if they think it'll have any impact on Kinda Funny? I don't really follow them but it looks like they had a buyout not long ago and now the new execs are taking over and forcing the old crew out, or at least giving them less influence. I always imagined KF could just walk away from whatever deal they have with RT if things got too bad, but we'll see. They still rely on RT quite a lot with their store and having the videos on the site and everything, but at least they're not owned by them.

The only other RT channel I follow is Funhaus and they seem almost like a separate thing in the same way as KF. I imagine if things went bad with RT those guys would either splinter off and go their separate ways like Bruce has, or go independent like KF (ironically what they already did in 2015 when they joined RT).

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
Does anyone here keep up with Rooster Teeth proper? Just wondering what people think about the issues they've been having and if they think it'll have any impact on Kinda Funny? I don't really follow them but it looks like they had a buyout not long ago and now the new execs are taking over and forcing the old crew out, or at least giving them less influence. I always imagined KF could just walk away from whatever deal they have with RT if things got too bad, but we'll see. They still rely on RT quite a lot with their store and having the videos on the site and everything, but at least they're not owned by them.

The only other RT channel I follow is Funhaus and they seem almost like a separate thing in the same way as KF. I imagine if things went bad with RT those guys would either splinter off and go their separate ways like Bruce has, or go independent like KF (ironically what they already did in 2015 when they joined RT).

I have to imagine that it's actually a pretty good deal for RT with the sheer volume of podcasts and shows that Kinda Funny are willing to riddle with advertisements. RT have to be getting a reasonable enough cut for what probably amounts to a handful of phone calls a month with KF and the advertisers.