• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
So, again, what are we quantifying as a "hit"? Financial success, review scores or the feedback of the audience? Because it's changed twice since the topic of SW started.

If a film is a success at the box office, it is a hit.

On top of that, the films also have critical acclaim. Three of the four Disney Star Wars films have been hit movies. This isn't up for debate.

But again, I'm replying to comparing the number of hits to the MCU, which has five times the number of movies. And you keep ignoring that. I'm not sure you even know what you're arguing at this point.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
If a film is a success at the box office, it is a hit.

On top of that, the films also have critical acclaim. Three of the four Disney Star Wars films have been hit movies. This isn't up for debate.

But again, I'm replying to comparing the number of hits to the MCU, which has five times the number of movies. And you keep ignoring that. I'm not sure you even know what you're arguing at this point.
No, i definitely don't. Considering the original post said the MCU had 4 hits. Which isnt even true.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Disney Star Wars movies are better than the majority of Marvel movies, but it's like a 7/10 vs a 6/10 so who cares

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Was just coming into the thread to talk about the CG Sasha interview... I was scared to listen/watch it at first thinking he was gonna stumble through and it was going to be cringe central, but damn was I wrong. Cool Greg just talked to her like a normal person and she came across as a super down to Earth and nice person. My favorite line went kind of under the radar, but was when CG said in regards to Veronica Mars, "The closest I've been to supporting a snitch." I actually laughed out loud at my desk.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I would imagine that the least amount of people in their company's history being willing to pay for their content would be something to worry about. Even if it is "deceiving" it still speaks volumes about how people really feel about what they're putting out.
You're right, but I'll also point out that as someone who's been watching since Kinda Funny was gameovergreggy their only content was Oreo Oration and Conversation With Colin, people have never been in agreement about the content.

They split the GOG Show into topics. People thought it ruined the show.

They branded as Kinda Funny. People felt they were too corporate, their topics were too niche since they couldn't talk about games, comics and movies.

They left IGN. "Who the hell is Tim? I'm here for Colin and Greg talking about games!" We're giving them so much money and they record out of a bedroom? We want a PlayStation podcast!

They get a studio and start PS I Love You. People miss the intimate feeling of the spare bedroom. "Colin is about to leave, he acts depressed all the time"

Colin leaves. People miss Colin's content and gaming knowledge. They feel there is too much content that it feels spread thin.

For the record, I enjoy KF less than I did from 2013-2016, but I still love Greg, Nick and Tim. I've been following them for a long time. It's very hard to please an audience, as you'll see if you check out the Easy Allies thread or subreddit. I think EZA are putting out the best gaming content in the world, and people still complain constantly.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You're right, but I'll also point out that as someone who's been watching since Kinda Funny was gameovergreggy their only content was Oreo Oration and Conversation With Colin, people have never been in agreement about the content.

They split the GOG Show into topics. People thought it ruined the show.

They branded as Kinda Funny. People felt they were too corporate, their topics were too niche since they couldn't talk about games, comics and movies.

They left IGN. "Who the hell is Tim? I'm here for Colin and Greg talking about games!" We're giving them so much money and they record out of a bedroom? We want a PlayStation podcast!

They get a studio and start PS I Love You. People miss the intimate feeling of the spare bedroom. "Colin is about to leave, he acts depressed all the time"

Colin leaves. People miss Colin's content and gaming knowledge. They feel there is too much content that it feels spread thin.

For the record, I enjoy KF less than I did from 2013-2016, but I still love Greg, Nick and Tim. I've been following them for a long time. It's very hard to please an audience, as you'll see if you check out the Easy Allies thread or subreddit. I think EZA are putting out the best gaming content in the world, and people still complain constantly.
The problem is that they seem to be only pleasing a very specific audience at the moment, which is the absolute diehards. It feels like they're gearing their whole business around people who are willing to front up money just so they can ask questions every day in the hopes they'll one day get a job. The numbers don't lie, and it's clear that diehard Patreon audience is shrinking at an alarming pace.

When I hear Greg say "I don't look at YouTube numbers anymore, I only care about Patreon" I scratch my head. Firstly, ignoring YouTube is just idiotic, but more importantly, if you actually cared about your Patreon wouldn't you be at least slightly concerned that you haven't seen any actual positive growth (outside of their start of year beg-a-thons) since 2017?

These are their lifetime Patreon subscriber graphs for both channels BTW. Expect them to both drop by around 200 patrons each in the next day or so because of the end of month transition.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Was just coming into the thread to talk about the CG Sasha interview... I was scared to listen/watch it at first thinking he was gonna stumble through and it was going to be cringe central, but damn was I wrong. Cool Greg just talked to her like a normal person and she came across as a super down to Earth and nice person. My favorite line went kind of under the radar, but was when CG said in regards to Veronica Mars, "The closest I've been to supporting a snitch." I actually laughed out loud at my desk.
Yeah, CG Is legitimately hilarious at times

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that they seem to be only pleasing a very specific audience at the moment, which is the absolute diehards. It feels like they're gearing their whole business around people who are willing to front up money just so they can ask questions every day in the hopes they'll one day get a job. The numbers don't lie, and it's clear that diehard Patreon audience is shrinking at an alarming pace.

When I hear Greg say "I don't look at YouTube numbers anymore, I only care about Patreon" I scratch my head. Firstly, ignoring YouTube is just idiotic, but more importantly, if you actually cared about your Patreon wouldn't you be at least slightly concerned that you haven't seen any actual positive growth (outside of their start of year beg-a-thons) since 2017?

These are their lifetime Patreon subscriber graphs for both channels BTW. Expect them to both drop by around 200 patrons each in the next day or so because of the end of month transition.

I don't doubt the numbers but these are really confusing graphs, I have no idea which line is which channel or which axis goes with which. Or why one seems to end in 2017? A legend would go a long way.

Last edited:

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017

What's with that massive one-month spike for KF in like 2016? Is that just one person sponsoring at some ridiculously high tier for a month? It kinda skews the rest of the graph.

But yeah this evidence is pretty damning... both channels are near the lowest they've ever been and apparently they're unconcerned about it. I wonder if the gold and silver tiers mean they're taking more than they were before off less people?

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
What's with that massive one-month spike for KF in like 2016? Is that just one person sponsoring at some ridiculously high tier for a month? It kinda skews the rest of the graph.

But yeah this evidence is pretty damning... both channels are near the lowest they've ever been and apparently they're unconcerned about it. I wonder if the gold and silver tiers mean they're taking more than they were before off less people?
That random spike in December 2016 has honestly got me beat. I thought it might have been because of the announcement of PSILY, but that happened a full year before that. It can't be from one of their fundraising drives either because those always take place in January AFAIK.

I imagine they're still doing well in terms of cash flow due to the increased focus towards taking on promotions and advertisements. Considering they don't care about views and their Patreon is freefalling it makes me think they're resting on their laurels due to ad spend, which would be crazy considering the original idea for Kinda Funny seemed to be to move away from that kind of business model. Plus, those ad dollars could disappear overnight and they'd be in some serious trouble. They talk about their future in an extremely secure way, but I find hard to believe that they can afford an even larger studio and more full-time employees at the moment.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
That random spike in December 2016 has honestly got me beat. I thought it might have been because of the announcement of PSILY, but that happened a full year before that. It can't be from one of their fundraising drives either because those always take place in January AFAIK.

I imagine they're still doing well in terms of cash flow due to the increased focus towards taking on promotions and advertisements. Considering they don't care about views and their Patreon is freefalling it makes me think they're resting on their laurels due to ad spend, which would be crazy considering the original idea for Kinda Funny seemed to be to move away from that kind of business model. Plus, those ad dollars could disappear overnight and they'd be in some serious trouble. They talk about their future in an extremely secure way, but I find hard to believe that they can afford an even larger studio and more full-time employees at the moment.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out... relying on Greg's hosting gigs and other things like that doesn't seem like a sustainable solution if their core fanbase is diminishing at the same time. It's strange because Greg seems more popular than ever in terms of mainstream appeal and yet KF itself is going the other way, but I can't see him ever leaving to do hosting stuff full-time so I don't know what'll happen long-term. Maybe he'll go freelance and still host KFGD as a contractor or something? I can't see it happening in the near future though. And yeah with what's going on at Rooster Teeth I wouldn't be relying on that advertising money either, so how do they stay afloat if that stops suddenly?

I wonder if the solution is to cut down on the sheer barrage of content they put out every week; I have it at something like 13 hours minimum a week which is surely intimidating for new people... how do you even get into a channel like that?

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018

I mean at this point the main incentive to pay them a minimum of $10 a month isn't to get exclusive content or access, it's to not get ads on their shows. I'm sure the Morning Show split into 5 different daily shows was largely a decision made so that they could market 5 separate programmes to appeal to advertisers, regardless of the quality of the content.

KF are a small business doing big business deals (with help from RT) and it's started to really show its ugly side this year. A solid block of ad reads in the middle of every single show or stream is just wild to me. Especially coming from EZA who only have them on 2 podcasts and largely from small businesses/individuals who subbed at that tier on Patreon.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will be interesting to see how this all plays out... relying on Greg's hosting gigs and other things like that doesn't seem like a sustainable solution if their core fanbase is diminishing at the same time. It's strange because Greg seems more popular than ever in terms of mainstream appeal and yet KF itself is going the other way, but I can't see him ever leaving to do hosting stuff full-time so I don't know what'll happen long-term. Maybe he'll go freelance and still host KFGD as a contractor or something? I can't see it happening in the near future though. And yeah with what's going on at Rooster Teeth I wouldn't be relying on that advertising money either, so how do they stay afloat if that stops suddenly?

I wonder if the solution is to cut down on the sheer barrage of content they put out every week; I have it at something like 13 hours minimum a week which is surely intimidating for new people... how do you even get into a channel like that?

It's definitely become clear that Greg is the only reason Kinda Funny is able to exist. If he were to leave the company they'd most certainly fold shortly after.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If Greg ever retires from on-camera duties (which seems like his ultimate goal) that's when I'll be out on Kinda Funny permanently. I like Tim, Nick, and Andy to varying degrees, but I'm here for Greg. The magical pie-in-the-sky world he imagines where he's working in the background while a "new class" takes over is never going to happen. The channel struggles to grow now, so could you imagine what it would be like in a world where you're tuning into Games Daily to hear SnowBikeMike chat to Cheeks Jr about the day's news. For all intents and purposes, Kinda Funny really still is the GameOverGreggy channel at heart.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
It's funny timing, cause Greg always talks about how he wants to become like rooster teeth and the main dude over there, Burnie Burns, just announced he's not gonna do on-camera stuff anymore.

And there's a bunch of people, not really hating, just being honest and saying how he was their favourite on the podcast and how they're not sure if his shoes can be filled.

That's with a company of like 400 people. And they've been a company for 16 years and have been grooming people to take over the founding members on camera workload for like 8+ years, and yet there's still a ton of fans not happy about this change.
I hope Greg isn't planning on-camera retirement anytime in the next decade is all I'm saying cause they got a ways to go before being able to pass the baton.

Last edited:

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After watching their A New Hope review there is no way that anyone could say that these guys aren't Star Wars fans.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
So they moved KF/AF for this? Isn't consistent scheduling like the one absolute for successfully growing internet content? Well, I guess impressions of the Last of Us Part 2 can wait but this can't. Bizarre choices being made by these guys.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I'm pretty bummed they are killing off party mode. That's one of the few things I always watched

That's a shame... Party Mode had the potential to be one of their best shows if they approached in the same vein of someone like Funhaus. Unfortunately it always just seemed super neglected and rushed (not by Andy but by the people on it) and usually just amounted to them playing some random indie party game or whatever popular shooter rather than anything interested. I used to watch all the time until they started playing Fortnite, Rainbow Six or Nidhogg every week.

ghornett

Nov 16, 2017
I never watched an episode. Didn't like that they were sometimes sponsored content. It also seemed like they took up a ton of time and effort. Getting everyone together, more editing than usual, etc... good call to sunset it.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
So what did Greg think about Joker? I'm never seeing the movie but give me impressions in spoiler tags, want to know what he thought

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Greg: "We don't give a fuck about YouTube views"

*Kinda Funny proceeds to immediately cancel Party Mode several days later because it doesn't get any views*

You can't make this shit up lmao.

I don't understand why they don't just stream games. They would see a way better return on investment, they can interact with the community in real-time, and it would involve way less effort for everyone. They could also play games people have actually heard of and use it as a chance to bolster their discussions on Gamescast, rather than forcing themselves to play obscure indie games that have one funny quirk that becomes old after 5 minutes.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
Greg: "We don't give a fuck about YouTube views"

*Kinda Funny proceeds to immediately cancel Party Mode several days later because it doesn't get any views*

You can't make this shit up lmao.

I don't understand why they don't just stream games. They would see a way better return on investment, they can interact with the community in real-time, and it would involve way less effort for everyone. They could also play games people have actually heard of and use it as a chance to bolster their discussions on Gamescast, rather than forcing themselves to play obscure indie games that have one funny quirk that becomes old after 5 minutes.

This is basically what Andy's doing. I think he's got the right idea.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This is basically what Andy's doing. I think he's got the right idea.
The fact that Andy is having to capitalise on this trend outside of work is ludicrous. AFAIK Andy has built up a pretty decent following. Now, imagine if he'd been streaming from Kinda Funny's channel the entire time. Instead of giving him the license to do that, all of the other KF guys kinda laugh at him and say "how quaint". It's just hopelessly out of touch.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
The fact that Andy is having to capitalise on this trend outside of work is ludicrous. AFAIK Andy has built up a pretty decent following. Now, imagine if he'd been streaming from Kinda Funny's channel the entire time. Instead of giving him the license to do that, all of the other KF guys kinda laugh at him and say "how quaint". It's just hopelessly out of touch.

That would have been a dreadful decision on his part so thankfully he has got his solo channel!

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

Andy is being the smart one expanding his own following especially if anything happens.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Andy is being the smart one expanding his own following especially if anything happens.
With the way Andy talks about how much he dislikes SF and how expensive it is, I could see him actually leaving to get back into game dev somewhere less expensive. He just essentially had his own show canned by Kinda Funny, and if he was to leave he could probably dedicate more time to streaming.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Hey all, I asked this question on the subreddit but I also wanted to hit here too, since I know this thread has been vocal about the lack of gaming content on the channel and this place is just as much a part of the community. Let me just quote the Reddit thread for expediency's sake, but you can answer here or there.

Hi all! I asked this in another thread, but figured it would get more visibility if broken out on its own. In the wake of Party Mode going on indefinite hiatus, I wanted to take the community's temperature and get suggestions on what kind of gaming content the best friends want to see.

Is there a specific example of the type of video content you're looking for? Is it more in the discussion end, full playthroughs of games, shorter videos of new games? To that end, would you want streams to mostly be new games that have just come out or older games that we love? Or party games with a bunch of us together?

Don't be afraid to say conflicting ideas or whatever, I want an overview of what the community is really looking for here. When you think of Kinda Funny Games, what is it you want to be watching?

Thanks!

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, I asked this question on the subreddit but I also wanted to hit here too, since I know this thread has been vocal about the lack of gaming content on the channel and this place is just as much a part of the community. Let me just quote the Reddit thread for expediency's sake, but you can answer here or there.
I've been thinking - because Kinda Funny really likes to hone in on the indie developer (especially with y'alls KFG Showcase), why not do a "Indie Highlight" once a month? What I mean by that is schedule to have an indie developer stop in at the studio, show off their game (whether its a let's play or demo or whatever) and then have a "We Have Cool Friends"-lite segment/separate video to go with it?

I think that would be an awesome extension to the Showcase that's done and it compliments the We Have Cool Friends show on the non-gaming channel.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I had fell off their podcasts a while ago and party mode was far and away the content I watched the most.

This might be it for me as a follower.

Might check out Colins podcast but the appeal for me was always Greg and Colin not one or the other.