• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghornett

Nov 16, 2017
As much as I hate the ads and the Logitech ones that just kept going, Imran had me cracking up reading the condom ad.

Yasamuu

Oct 28, 2017
I just don't see it that KF is struggling... they've been supporting 8 people + part-timers all living in SF so they can't be doing that badly, regardless of Patreon. A lot of it is the ad money, but also all the events and things like the BL Show all add up I imagine. I don't really begrudge them the ads because every podcast does it and it's not like it's difficult to skip through. I can't imagine why anyone would just sit through all the ads.

For 5.0, I can't really see them de-emphasising Patreon given the big push last year was rearranging everything into new tiers. If anything I could see them adding an extra tier. I'd say they'll reshuffle the KF daily shows, maybe cancel a couple and bring something new in, and do something about In Review cause at the moment it's a bit of a mess (there's like two episodes a week now? And they're all Star Wars?)

The main thing they need to fix is Gamescast because it's been so stale this year. It's been better recently but they need to decide what they actually want it to be; is it a review show? Is it just "what we've been playing"? Or will there be a topic of the week every week? Also if that includes bringing in a new host then so be it. I'd love them to give Barrett a shot at it.

For me they should be getting back to basics, focusing on their video game coverage. It's almost like the PS4 launch, in a way. Refining that and breathing a bit of life into it would be a good place to start. Their bread and butter is what they're good at, by and large KFGD is good content - sometimes the slowest of news days can still be a great podcast.

Stuff like "We have cool friends" and "Internet Explorerz" have little value for me. Getting guests on for the KF podcast (like Game Over Greggy show of old) worked better for me. The above shows could probably exist in something more akin to segments in a larger show at best - and not necessarily recurring on a weekly basis. IMO there's not enough depth for the length and frequency of those shows, and maybe some others, which leads to anticipation waning and interest dwindling.

Bleeding patreons is a fairly solid indication that 4.0 hasn't worked. Which is a shame, I hope they turn it around. Doubling down on the current model would be a bad move, for me.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
For me they should be getting back to basics, focusing on their video game coverage. It's almost like the PS4 launch, in a way. Refining that and breathing a bit of life into it would be a good place to start. Their bread and butter is what they're good at, by and large KFGD is good content - sometimes the slowest of news days can still be a great podcast.

I'd totally be on board for this. Unfortunately I feel like everything about how KF is set up these days prioritises the non-gaming side over the gaming side and I can't see them shifting focus that dramatically.

At the very least they'd need to bring in another full-time person other than Greg who's focus is KFG because it can't just be him and part-timers (Blessing would be the best).

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I do think they should focus in on gaming a bit more but I honestly really enjoy We Have Cool Friends so I hope it sticks around. And KFAF just makes me laugh all the time.

I do think bringing in someone else full-time to focus specifically on gaming would be the best move.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoy off topic kf more than gaming kf tbh, it's just this conundrum I have with needing to "watch" things so often with KFAF or IEZ where I feel I'm missing out a lot of I don't. It depends on what I'm doing. If I'm eating or waiting somewhere I can watch. Or on the rare occasion I'm lying in bed and feel like watching. If it's a special event like halloween hellscape or the roast I'll definitley watch those, just not something that I know is happening every week in hour+ long formats.

Morning Show still stay goat for its down to earthness. People have said KFAF is down to earth but it's really not. The schtick and look of the show gives it that vibe, but the actual content isn't so much. Which isn't a bad thing but it's just getting repetitive. I think iez is closest to the morning show because it is actually more down to earth as they interact with the chat more, and the discussion I feel is just more morning show esque in its cadence. The segments are the same but it brings a lot more variety in what they talk about.

Last edited:

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I enjoy off topic kf more than gaming kf tbh, it's just this conundrum I have with needing to "watch" things so often with KFAF or IEZ where I feel I'm missing out a lot of I don't. It depends on what I'm doing. If I'm eating or waiting somewhere I can watch. Or on the rare occasion I'm lying in bed and feel like watching. If it's a special event like halloween hellscape or the roast I'll definitley watch those, just not something that I know is happening every week in hour+ long formats.

Morning Show still stay goat for its down to earthness. PEople have said KFAF is down to earth but it's really not. The schtick and look of the show gives it that vibe, but the actual content isn't so much. Which isn't a bad thing but it's just getting repetitive. I think iez is closest to the morning show because it is actuall more down to earth as they interact with the chat more, and the discussion I feel is just more morning show esque in its cadence. The segments are the same but it brings a lot more variety in what they talk about.
I think you bring up something great in regards to special videos like Tim being roasted. I don't watch any of the morning shows outside of KFGD because they are needlessly long and get super repetitive. However, when they uploaded that roast I went out of my way to sit down and watch that for 70 minutes.

Personally, I think their company should be less a constant churn of content like they're some bland content factory, and instead go back to the original essence of Kinda Funny. I would much rather have them just do KFGD a few times a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday?), Gamescast and KF Podcast weekly, and then dedicate themselves to making awesome once-off content or limited-run content like they used to.

Considering the ad spend on their videos these days, I doubt the amount of content they put out gets cut down though. It's the same reason why the NBA will never shorten their season or Monday Night RAW will never revert back to being a 2-hour show.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to clarify that I "listen" to their content by default. So when I say I don't "watch", I mean literally watching. Which is where my conundrum lies because I'll be trying to listen to KFAF and iez every week and there's a good chance I'll stop when I start getting fed up with everything that I need to watch that I can't look at at the time. (Because I'll listen when I'm driving or doing chores or something)

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Personally, I think their company should be less a constant churn of content like they're some bland content factory, and instead go back to the original essence of Kinda Funny. I would much rather have them just do KFGD a few times a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday?), Gamescast and KF Podcast weekly, and then dedicate themselves to making awesome once-off content or limited-run content like they used to.

This is something I've wanted for a long, long time. So many of KF's problems are related to the rigid, immovable schedule that they've built themselves... they have to have KFGD everyday, one KF show everyday, Gamescast and KF Podcast once a week and it just bogs everything down.

KFAF is a great example of this; it started strong but because it has to be an hour show every week, it just became "lets rank these foods" and that got boring fast. If they could channel that same energy into an irregular series of skits or even like a seasonal thing, they'd be much better off.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
G2X5Vui.png

I couldn't refrain

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Watching the "Does Batman Masturbate?" podcast.

Greg's joke about having your wife's ashes with you when getting a hand job at a spa was so dark. lmao

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Don't know if you guys saw this but if you saw on r/KindaFunny, people overall talking about how they could make KF overall better since their gaming patreon is at an all time low. Here are some of the mentioned issues that they had:
  • People not feeling every new host
  • People wanting the hosting to be more consistent because they think that Kinda Funny somewhat still runs like it used to in Year 1 or 2 which was expected cause it was so early on but people want it to be a little more stable. P
  • People mentioned like some of the non-core group hosts having random guests that they (the viewers) don't care about which causes them to not tune in cause they're there for the core group.In example, people view the core group as: Andy, Nick, Tim, Kevin and Greg. They mentioned that without at least one of these members being there, they're less inclined to watch KFGD.
  • People also think they took 2-3 podcasts and split them into 5-6 podcasts that aren't nearly as good as the 2-3 podcasts.
  • People think some of their other content is nearly as good as some of the old content (some mentioned The Kinda Funny Podcast being just washed out conversations that have been the same-y, KFAF not clicking with them etc)
  • People also mentioned missing The Morning Show instead of some of the other shows they have.
Just curious to see what the KF community here thinks?

(EDIT)
Gonna throw some of my thoughts out there since this might become a discussion
  • I miss Kinda Funny having a Playstation Podcast. I personally wish they swapped out one of their current pieces of content and replaced it with that. I adore KFGD but it's not as long as it used to be. Personally, I'd prefer to see Greg do a Playstation Podcast with another host that was apart of their core shows on stream? That's just me of course.
  • For me, Internet Explorerz simply doesn't click. It's the one piece of I content I don't watch at all after seeing one or two episodes of it. I'd replace it with anything else even if it's not gaming related and they bought back The Morning Show.
  • In-Review's format being shaken up a bit? I feel like the point of In-Review should just be an overall discussion about the each movie in a series, not giving us a recap with funny moments while discussing it and then rating it. Also, once again, just my personal opinion lol
  • Consistency with the hosts is huge. I know they do their best to tell us who's hosting what, but even if they threw Andy in there more often for KFGD it would be good for me. Like others, I'm there for the core group as bad as that sounds. However, I absolutely understand they try their best and understand it's impossible to be there for every episode of KFGD because of obligations.
  • Bring back Party Mode.
  • Also this just came to mind but maybe they should look into making a MCU based show/podcast? With the rise of Phase 4's Disney+ content and all of the movies, they should look into making a separate show to discuss MCU things even if it's seasonal since the shows won't launch till Spring or whatever. We all know how much they love the MCU and I'd be so down for a MCU show where they discuss the movies, shows week by week and even just discussing the build up to whatever's the next major MCU event. Plus, all of the shows will be important to the MCU so as one show goes, another one comes and it could be it's own In-Review type podcast.

Last edited:

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I thought we wanted them to play more shit.
There are two completely different situations.

On one hand, we want Greg and co. to finish any of the dozen games this year they've "enjoyed" but only put a couple of hours into. Doing that means they can actually have an in-depth discussion about them. On the other you have the KF crew hate watching over a dozen hours of Star Wars content for In Review. They are completely different situations.

Imagine a world where, instead of forcing themselves to watch The Mandalorian (which most of them clearly hate), the crew spent their free time playing a game they like or started brainstorming some new KFAF segments that don't involve ranking food?

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
KFGD works best when there's consistency in schedule. Some weeks Greg is there once. Greg and Tim rarely ever team up on KFGD anymore. I don't mind Blessing, Whitta, Imran, Mike Mahardy, etc. I like them and I'm not afraid to say that. But there has to be a different way. Last year was incredible in my opinion. One thing I'll add, I think its weird Andy gets no play on KFGD and that they pretty much exclude him. Only time I've seen him on game stuff is on events. Total missed opportunity. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he left soon. I don't think being on KF has helped his career out a ton personally, which is too bad because he's talented

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I had no idea their patreon dropped that much.

Its not an immediate drop, but every month, they consistently drop patrons. Its this perfect steady decline every month. My guess is credit cards being expired, and people not wanting to renew their subs?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Quality in content has dropped, so not really surprised their patreon numbers dipped too

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Wow, I had no idea their patreon dropped that much.

Its not an immediate drop, but every month, they consistently drop patrons. Its this perfect steady decline every month. My guess is credit cards being expired, and people not wanting to renew their subs?

People in that reddit thread literally said why they dropped their patreons basically saying what I cited along with people feeling their patreon isn't worth it just for Gamescast

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
There are two completely different situations.

On one hand, we want Greg and co. to finish any of the dozen games this year they've "enjoyed" but only put a couple of hours into. Doing that means they can actually have an in-depth discussion about them. On the other you have the KF crew hate watching over a dozen hours of Star Wars content for In Review. They are completely different situations.

Imagine a world where, instead of forcing themselves to watch The Mandalorian (which most of them clearly hate), the crew spent their free time playing a game they like or started brainstorming some new KFAF segments that don't involve ranking food?

You put "watch" and "play" in the same slash where it didn't make sense (I assume because laziness), I was just focusing on the play part.

I mean the Mandalorian in review was an inevitability. You know they wanted to watch it and thought they'd like it more. It'd be weird if they just cancelled the series. But yeah finishing more games would definitely benefit them.

Also:

instead of forcing themselves to watch The Mandalorian (which most of them clearly hate)

Sauce Marlow and, just relentless hyperbole. Name a more iconic duo.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Man, they sure picked a good time to bring back Internet Explorerz (tomorrow, btw). Someone just posted a video on Twitter is destined to be a pre-show video (if they still do that anymore; I only watch the YouTube archives).

I tweeted it to them, so hopefully they see it.

Last edited:

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
KFGD works best when there's consistency in schedule. Some weeks Greg is there once. Greg and Tim rarely ever team up on KFGD anymore. I don't mind Blessing, Whitta, Imran, Mike Mahardy, etc. I like them and I'm not afraid to say that. But there has to be a different way. Last year was incredible in my opinion. One thing I'll add, I think its weird Andy gets no play on KFGD and that they pretty much exclude him. Only time I've seen him on game stuff is on events. Total missed opportunity. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he left soon. I don't think being on KF has helped his career out a ton personally, which is too bad because he's talented
Andy not appearing on KFGD is his choice BTW. To paraphrase, he feels like he can't go on the show because he isn't a journalist or wasn't formerly in that industry. It's absolutely insane when you consider they have absolute nobodies like SnowBikeMike hosting, or people who have been out of the industry for decades like Gary Whitta. There's absolutely no reason why Andy shouldn't be able to make regular appearances.

Sauce Marlow and, just relentless hyperbole. Name a more iconic duo.
Greg is pretty much the only one on the show who hasn't shat on the majority of the episodes. Tim is probably 50/50. Nick and Kevin quite clearly hate the show. If you've disliked the majority of the show's episodes then it's not hyperbole to say you hate the show. It's also not hyperbole to say most fans are disliking their current In Review. Multiple threads get made per week about how it has been poor and the comment section is overwhelmingly negative, as is the like/dislike ration compared to their usual standards.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they are trying to be similar to Rooster Teeth trying to find new hosts/people to take over more and to build the brand, however people are not responding to a few of them and would rather the main cast be present instead the problem with that is the main cast just don't play games in the same way and are not diverse enough or get deep enough into the conversation that it feels extremely lacking so they try to find others to fill those gaps...they are being pulled in two ways and currently none of them are working out.
Haven't regularly been listening to the content for a few months now I just feel like there are another podcasts that get into interesting and indepth looks into the games and industry as a whole that the Kinda Funny crews personality no longer has enough power for me to ignore the other aspects, maybe I would be more happy if I drop all the gaming podcasts and just listen to Kinda Funny.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Andy not appearing on KFGD is his choice BTW. To paraphrase, he feels like he can't go on the show because he isn't a journalist or wasn't formerly in that industry. It's absolutely insane when you consider they have absolute nobodies like SnowBikeMike hosting, or people who have been out of the industry for decades like Gary Whitta. There's absolutely no reason why Andy shouldn't be able to make regular appearances.

Greg is pretty much the only one on the show who hasn't shat on the majority of the episodes. Tim is probably 50/50. Nick and Kevin quite clearly hate the show. If you've disliked the majority of the show's episodes then it's not hyperbole to say you hate the show. It's also not hyperbole to say most fans are disliking their current In Review. Multiple threads get made per week about how it has been poor and the comment section is overwhelmingly negative, as is the like/dislike ration compared to their usual standards.
That makes zero sense. Nobody cares about journalism in games. All of the biggest people in games are you tubers or streamers now. Just put the better people for video and podcasting in. None of the people fill the gap the other guests have left from 2018. Let Barrett or Andy co host. They're good at their job. Watch Andy on watch alongs. He's great. He's funny. Entertaining. Heck, he might do better than Tim at analysis.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I was quite surprised that the biggest complaint in that Reddit thread was that the core KF people aren't on the shows enough... that's never really been something I've been too concerned about. The bigger issue for me is Gamescast becoming stale this year and being something that very little effort goes into, compared to their other shows.

I wonder how they address the problem though; like it's clear Tim is less interested in gaming these days so does it help to have him on more shows? Or do they push Andy and Barrett onto more gaming content? Or bring a new core member in?

I just hope their big push for 5.0 is to put more focus and attention onto the gaming side, especially GC because it needs it. It should be their flagship show but at the moment it's rarely worth listening to.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Listening to the Gamescast, I laughed when Fran says that Imran has no evidence that people did not play disco so it's not nominated.

The evidence is in that room Fran. Other than Imran, no one played Disco in that office and Tim "the FE fan" did not get past part 1 of one route in Three Houses.

And Kinda Funny gets to nominate. I fully believe FE and Disco not getting nomination is because too many nominations are in the hands of places like Kinda Funny where people don't play games other than the mainstream hype games.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Listening to the Gamescast, I laughed when Fran says that Imran has no evidence that people did not play disco so it's not nominated.

The evidence is in that room Fran. Other than Imran, no one played Disco in that office and Tim "the FE fan" did not get past part 1 of one route in Three Houses.

And Kinda Funny gets to nominate. I fully believe FE and Disco not getting nomination is because too many nominations are in the hands of places like Kinda Funny where people don't play games other than the mainstream hype games.

To be fair I don't think KF are particularly the outliers in focusing on more mainstream games; I imagine IGN, Gamespot and all those nominated the same games too. Your argument is essentially that more popular games got nominated over less popular ones.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
I listened to the Gamespot podcast, and almost all of them had FE and Disco in top 10.

I think 3 of them had Disco at number 1 and FE in top 5. So I do think it's a KF problem.

EDIT: Also the problem is not that they did not nominate these games. It's that they just didn't play them at all. It's always different kinds of excuses for the KF crew. "Oh it's a PC game.", "it looks anime so it's not my type of game".

Another example is back in 2017, how many people at KF at the time completed the following games: Persona 5, Y0, Nier? (Or at least made it through 50% of the game)

the answer is probably 0. So their opinion of BOTW being the GOTY was not convincing at all.

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My main problem with their process is that they try to identify a popular consensus GOTY instead of their personal GOTY. I don't really need them to tell me which games are trendy.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017

"probably". Greg likes it. Tim liked the first 4 episodes. Kevin liked the first 3 episodes (can't remember what he thought about 5). Nick liked episode 2 and 3. Why is everything so black and white with you my boi

My main problem with their process is that they try to identify a popular consensus GOTY instead of their personal GOTY. I don't really need them to tell me which games are trendy.

They do their perosnal Gotys every year. This one is predicting game awards awards because the game awards is coming up